Donation page to buyout Pitino - Fire Him!

GopherHole can start the GoFundMe
Page when we get more commitments. If FSU football can do it, so can we!
Nice for you to volunteer them, lol.

You likely need to contact an attorney to inquire what type of tax situation this would create and methinks, you will need lots more zeros in your contributions before anyone in power gives this even a cursory look.

Maybe try doing some research and see if you can wrap your head around the prehensile details in such an outing.

Good Luck!

Nice for you to volunteer them, lol.

You likely need to contact an attorney to inquire what type of tax situation this would create and methinks, you will need lots more zeros in your contributions before anyone in power gives this even a cursory look.

Maybe try doing some research and see if you can wrap your head around the prehensile details in such an outing.

Good Luck!
When you “donate” to a gofundme page it is a gift. Everyone has an annual exclusion of $15k per individual recipient. If you give more than that, people must file a gift tax return. Such an amount over the annual exclusion will decrease your overall gift and estate lifetime exemption amount which under current laws is approximately $11.5MM, subject to change in 2025 due to sunset provisions.
Good news though for you is that it is so close to a new tax year that you can donate $15k now and $15k in a few weeks.

It's been beyond obvious for quite some time now. Richard Pitino shouldn't be coaching in the B1G. He doesn't do ANYthing well enough.

Retaining him is dooming the U to never, ever be a factor in the conference.

If you're ok with that, I question why you claim to be a Gopher fan.

Most of the complaints about Pitino do not come from a place of expertise, it's just really a basic understanding of basketball. We aren't breaking down the read-option in football or anything. Most of the gripes (which I'm sure you're referring) are in reference to an absolutely stagnant offense without ball movement and way too much dribbling. It's kind of basketball 101. It took the announcers about 5 minutes of watching us play to point it out. It's an obvious and catastrophic flaw in our system. It's been a problem for 8 years.

Sorry allow me to elucidate my point further. I was referring specifically to the hiring an firing of said coach.

The AD saw fit to give him one more year, so I'm content with that at this point; grabbing the pitchforks and clamoring for body parts accomplishes zilch at this point IMO. It was one game, albeit horrible and hard to watch - so what? In the big scheme of my life, it really doesn't matter that much, especially when I consider that 300,000 people have died in the US of COViD and 1 in 6 US families are currently suffering form food insecurity at present. It provides me some perspective; you of course are entitled to your feelings/perspective as well. Much of getting older is tedious, but the chance to grow in perspective and patience is like a warm wool blanker on a cold winter evening - it feels comforting and right.

If Mr. Coyle didn't fire Pitino after last year, why in the world would he now??? Where is the strategy in that move? He has to play chess and not checkers when considering his moves.

PJ was a homerun hire and I fell Whalen will be as well, once she gets to implement her culture and get her recruiting classes in. If he makes a change in the men's basketball coaching position, I'm confident he'll do well with it also.

In the meantime, I'll watch, root and occasionally curse and realize sports is a fun and exciting distraction from the general monotony of life and the horrendousness of 2020. I will also realize it doesn't have the power to make me have a bad day/evening unless I allow it to have that power. I am grateful in the season of miracles that I and my family are healthy and relatively happy and I hope that yours are as well. Amen.

Last edited:

Not trying to be antagonistic, serious question, why?

I've watched all the games this year and other than about 10 minutes in the BC game this team has consistently performed below it's talent level and ran a terrible offensive system against mostly inferior teams. I don't see them playing up to their potential against even stronger talent.
In short, I just think this team has too much talent to not eventually start playing quality basketball. They have too many pieces I like for me to think this won't end up being quality team. Between Carr and Gach as our stars, Robbins, Johnson, Ihnen, Gabe as solid starters and then Curry, Mashburn and Williams as good bench players, this team has too many individuals I like for me to think the team as a whole won't start playing better.

I don't think tonight was indicative of where we are as a team. Lots of times coaches talk about "burning the film" and I think this is one of those nights where you just move on.

It's been beyond obvious for quite some time now. Richard Pitino shouldn't be coaching in the B1G. He doesn't do ANYthing well enough.

Retaining him is dooming the U to never, ever be a factor in the conference.

If you're ok with that, I question why you claim to be a Gopher fan.

Absolutely astounding he is still here after 8 years with his recruiting misses and dismal B10 record. He's a Monson like recruiter and worse coach.

You're setting yourself up for disappointment. He's had his chance to shape the program.

Maybe. But for me it is much more fun as a fan to stay positive throughout the season and support the program. Pitino's teams tend to improve thru the season so expect that again. To each his own.

The same coach had them ahead 18 to 10. Then the team went 1 for 23 or some similar unconscionable number over the next stretch. It’s ugly when the ball doesn’t go in the hoop.

The same coach had them ahead 18 to 10. Then the team went 1 for 23 or some similar unconscionable number over the next stretch. It’s ugly when the ball doesn’t go in the hoop.
That coach also let that happen without any adjustments. Throw something at them to move the momentum. Worse thing is you give up a bucket or two which we know happened way too much.

I know what you are saying, and can understand why.

The performance tonight did it for me. Lack of ball movement/hero ball for give or take 30 of 40 minutes. Decimated on the boards. Stupid turnovers - one by Carr.

There is enough talent on this team to play with the Illinois team we saw tonight. Kofi is a beast and Dosunmu a great player, no doubt. Miller fantastic for a Fr.

Lose by 10, OK. Nearly down 40 points at one point?

Was surprised miller had only 14, seemed like he had double that to me. I fully expect the gophs to make progress as the season goes along. From what i can tell we have high character players and a coaching staff that tends to improve teams as the season progresses. Trust the process :) .

In short, I just think this team has too much talent to not eventually start playing quality basketball. They have too many pieces I like for me to think this won't end up being quality team. Between Carr and Gach as our stars, Robbins, Johnson, Ihnen, Gabe as solid starters and then Curry, Mashburn and Williams as good bench players, this team has too many individuals I like for me to think the team as a whole won't start playing better.

I don't think tonight was indicative of where we are as a team. Lots of times coaches talk about "burning the film" and I think this is one of those nights where you just move on.
Too much talent??

There's two legit B1G players on the starting 5, Mashburn might be one some day.

That coach also let that happen without any adjustments. Throw something at them to move the momentum. Worse thing is you give up a bucket or two which we know happened way too much.
You think they made no adjustments? Some nights nothing works. The team we played is picked by some to be National Champions. You can’t shoot that poorly and hang around if Wooden is your coach.

Sorry allow me to elucidate my point further. I was referring specifically to the hiring an firing of said coach.

The AD saw fit to give him one more year, so I'm content with that at this point; grabbing the pitchforks and clamoring for body parts accomplishes zilch at this point IMO. It was one game, albeit horrible and hard to watch - so what? In the big scheme of my life, it really doesn't matter that much, especially when I consider that 300,000 people have died in the US of COViD and 1 in 6 US families are currently suffering form food insecurity at present. It provides me some perspective; you of course are entitled to your feelings/perspective as well. Much of getting older is tedious, but the chance to grow in perspective and patience is like a warm wool blanker on a cold winter evening - it feels comforting and right.

If Mr. Coyle didn't fire Pitino after last year, why in the world would he now??? Where is the strategy in that move? He has to play chess and not checkers when considering his moves.

PJ was a homerun hire and I fell Whalen will be as well, once she gets to implement her culture and get her recruiting classes in. If he makes a change in the men's basketball coaching position, I'm confident he'll do well with it also.

In the meantime, I'll watch, root and occasionally curse and realize sports is a fun and exciting distraction from the general monotony of life and the horrendousness of 2020. I will also realize it doesn't have the power to make me have a bad day/evening unless I allow it to have that power. I am grateful in the season of miracles that I and my family are healthy and relatively happy and I hope that yours are as well. Amen.
Great perspective. I would never let the outcome of a game dictate how i felt my day went.

When you “donate” to a gofundme page it is a gift. Everyone has an annual exclusion of $15k per individual recipient. If you give more than that, people must file a gift tax return. Such an amount over the annual exclusion will decrease your overall gift and estate lifetime exemption amount which under current laws is approximately $11.5MM, subject to change in 2025 due to sunset provisions.
Good news though for you is that it is so close to a new tax year that you can donate $15k now and $15k in a few weeks.

Thank you for your reply.

With all your financial acumen, are you sure you didn't mean 1K or 10K, instead of $100? :unsure:

My first responsibility for any donations is always my tithing, after that I normally do environmental and arts/museums etc..., however, due to the food insecurity emergency in this country, (1 in 6 families is experiencing it at present), i'm switching gears and any extra funds will go to food programs. I have a familiarity with it that some don't, as my church operates its own pantry and provides 10k boxes of food per week to the community.

if you don't have a local place to get involved, you can look up Feeding America; they have an exceptional rating per Charity Navigator, for a non-profit.

Good luck with your venture!

That is why you dig in on defense every possession so you can cut the 35-10 type runs to 22-10, it keeps you in games. Very few fans complain about the defense.

On the one hand, yes it's the 1st conference game and this seems absurd on the surface. On the other hand, this year 8 and it's been pretty clear it was time to move on since the end of year 6.

This isn't knee-jerk about one game. It's the totality of 7+ years. He just isn't getting the job done. 48-83 in the B1G. If he's lucky, he'll be 50-88 one month from now. Nothing is going to happen now. But the money organizing for when it's needed would not be a bad thing.

I suspect the AD is waiting until he has identified a replacement, he is as good as gone once he does imo

Dakich had a segment called something like “What the ____ are you doing???!?” Lowlights of some choice plays where we had some really lazy, almost flippant passes.

That segment in the first half where they were like 1-18 shooting.

Brutal ice cold shooting.

Gach forgot to get on the plane.

I stopped watching 5mins in the second half. Figured they’d lose by 20 something.

F’ing pathetic. We knew the 6-0 was fake, but jebus. Duluth would’ve played better.

Last edited:

I’d have let him go two years ago when one of his up year teams finished under .500 in the big ten

My goal for gopher basketball isn’t to finish top 50 in the country. It is to finish top 4-5 in the big ten more years than not.

It is what it is. I thought he’d get this year because everyone knew they’d be bad last year including Coyle. I do think he could get fired this year.

20 games left.
I think 6 or fewer wins (including St. Louis) and he is for sure gone. I think 7-13 or 8-12 the rest of the could be gone but he has a chance to stay.
If they go 9-11 the rest of the way do they make the tourney at 15-12? I’d think they’d be close to the bubble considering 10 games remain against top 25 teams.

Thank you for your reply.

With all your financial acumen, are you sure you didn't mean 1K or 10K, instead of $100? :unsure:

My first responsibility for any donations is always my tithing, after that I normally do environmental and arts/museums etc..., however, due to the food insecurity emergency in this country, (1 in 6 families is experiencing it at present), i'm switching gears and any extra funds will go to food programs. I have a familiarity with it that some don't, as my church operates its own pantry and provides 10k boxes of food per week to the community.

if you don't have a local place to get involved, you can look up Feeding America; they have an exceptional rating per Charity Navigator, for a non-profit.

Good luck with your venture!
Thank you for the insight, as I will definitely check that organization out!!

Was surprised miller had only 14, seemed like he had double that to me. I fully expect the gophs to make progress as the season goes along. From what i can tell we have high character players and a coaching staff that tends to improve teams as the season progresses. Trust the process :) .
I'm not sure I've seen this. Which season are you referencing where this took place, or is it all seasons that you've witnessed, and where have I been for these seasons? This truly is a serious question...

I’d have let him go two years ago when one of his up year teams finished under .500 in the big ten

My goal for gopher basketball isn’t to finish top 50 in the country. It is to finish top 4-5 in the big ten more years than not.

It is what it is. I thought he’d get this year because everyone knew they’d be bad last year including Coyle. I do think he could get fired this year.

20 games left.
I think 6 or fewer wins (including St. Louis) and he is for sure gone. I think 7-13 or 8-12 the rest of the could be gone but he has a chance to stay.
If they go 9-11 the rest of the way do they make the tourney at 15-12? I’d think they’d be close to the bubble considering 10 games remain against top 25 teams.
If UW can turn it around, why can’t we? Just like football. I’m originally from WI and grew up a badger fan. They sucked in both sports until I was just starting high school in 93-94.
I came to the UMN and absolutely love the gophers. But let’s get real. We should be a way better program than UW in both sports. If they can win, we can. To settle for mediocrity is insane given the talent pool around us.

OK. Curious though, where do you rank him as a coach in the Big 10 ?

I'm not sure I've seen this. Which season are you referencing where this took place, or is it all seasons that you've witnessed, and where have I been for these seasons? This truly is a serious question...

13-14, 16-17, 18-19. Can make the argument 14-15 saw improvement with the players who werent suspended. Not sure how to judge 17-18 with all the injuries. 19-20 we overperformed considering we basically had two players.

If UW can turn it around, why can’t we? Just like football. I’m originally from WI and grew up a badger fan. They sucked in both sports until I was just starting high school in 93-94.
I came to the UMN and absolutely love the gophers. But let’s get real. We should be a way better program than UW in both sports. If they can win, we can. To settle for mediocrity is insane given the talent pool around us.
Should be way better ? There are not many programs above UW.

Maybe. But for me it is much more fun as a fan to stay positive throughout the season and support the program. Pitino's teams tend to improve thru the season so expect that again. To each his own.

Yes, tonight was dreadful but the good news is that it's over. I guess if I had my druthers I'd rather have this happen in the first conference game.

Top Bottom