Don Shumpert and Christian Kirskey to Iowa.

Can someone just explain one thing to me?

Why was Mason allowed 10 years of mediocrity, but Brewster's head is being called for in year 3? Especially when there is tangibly more upside to the program now than ever during Mason's tenure, save for the possibility of 2003.

I just don't get it! You don't hand your program over to somebody and then fire him before he's even had a chance to field a team filled entirely with his own players!

When people say he has "mostly his own players," it's simply not true. A look at the two-deep will show you that a majority of the players on it are still Mason recruits. And even if it were true, it would mean that we're starting a bunch of freshmen and sophomores, which anyone can tell you is a recipe for disaster, especially in a BCS conference.

Why was Mason allowed 10 years of mediocrity, but Brewster's head is being called for in year 3? Especially when there is tangibly more upside to the program now than ever during Mason's tenure, save for the possibility of 2003.

I just don't get it! You don't hand your program over to somebody and then fire him before he's even had a chance to field a team filled entirely with his own players!

When people say he has "mostly his own players," it's simply not true. A look at the two-deep will show you that a majority of the players on it are still Mason recruits. And even if it were true, it would mean that we're starting a bunch of freshmen and sophomores, which anyone can tell you is a recipe for disaster, especially in a BCS conference.

this is related to my bewilderment at the fans who just can't support the program without some hint of reservation or mistrust. I seriously think it's either a lack of desire to reach out of a comfort zone that was created by the last regime, where they could watch a half dozen easily won contests and a guaranteed bowl berth, OR its self medicating, where they refuse to set themselves up for disappointment and therefore refuse to get caught up in any sort of excitement. I kinda think there has been a cleaning of house so to speak of gopher fans, more so than viking fans, where there are no more casual fans, there are these comfort zone fans(I like to call them hand sitters) and there are alumni, and there are fans like most of us here, who are hardcore, Am I off in this?

I think many feel that giving Mason 10 years was way to long, myself included. I also think many feel that Mason took over a program in much worse shape from Wacker than what Brewster took over from him and therefore should not have a worse record his first two seasons than what Mason did. Whenever you make a coaching change you should be confident that the new coach can take the program to a higher level than the guy he is replacing and thus far that has yet to be seen so I think that is where the heat on Brewster comes in which he ratcheted up on himself a few degrees with some of his proclamations.

I think many feel that giving Mason 10 years was way to long, myself included. I also think many feel that Mason took over a program in much worse shape from Wacker than what Brewster took over from him and therefore should not have a worse record his first two seasons than what Mason did. Whenever you make a coaching change you should be confident that the new coach can take the program to a higher level than the guy he is replacing and thus far that has yet to be seen so I think that is where the heat on Brewster comes in which he ratcheted up on himself a few degrees with some of his proclamations.

Even in year 1 and 2? I think that's a bit much, look at Michigan's transition, coaching regime changes are hard on programs, kids don't fit in the new systems, there may be trust that needs to be earned and sometimes a coach just cleans house(see Syracuse this year), did you really predict a coach would be hired to take the 2007 team to 7-8-9 wins?
We should expect more from the team this year no doubt, and next year we need proof of pudding, but year 1 or 2 are for building and refitting with an emphasis on bright spots(something Brew's colorful positivity and the new stadium has done)

Even in year 1 and 2? I think that's a bit much, look at Michigan's transition, coaching regime changes are hard on programs, kids don't fit in the new systems, there may be trust that needs to be earned and sometimes a coach just cleans house(see Syracuse this year), did you really predict a coach would be hired to take the 2007 team to 7-8-9 wins?
We should expect more from the team this year no doubt, and next year we need proof of pudding, but year 1 or 2 are for building and refitting with an emphasis on bright spots(something Brew's colorful positivity and the new stadium has done)

I can agree with a lot of your points, I think you give a little bit longer leash however to a coach who has proven he can build a winner, such as a Rich Rod.

Very easy answer - Mason built up expectations. When he took over for Wacker, if the program had two Big 10 victories, that was a stellar season. Even the U of M Board had low expectations. Remember Wacker was going to get an extension in 1996 if he won 5 games? An extension for a losing record?!!
Mason built up higher expectations in the fan base and Brewster is supposed to take the program to the next level.
Yes, there is much upside over the new stadium but you have to give Mason some of the credit for pushing for TCF to get built in the first place.

You do get that it only matters what happens on the field, right?

So far, BB and Ferentz 4 Punky 0.

You can have all the recruiting victories you want. I will even make a little axe for you that you can put in the empty trophy case that says, "Punky outrecruited BB, but lost the real axe. 2007, 2008, 2009"

Do you realize how embarrassingly pathetic your life is? Nothing says I am a short, fat guy who subsists on Doritos and Mountain Dew more than a post like this.

You do get that it only matters what happens on the field, right?

So far, BB and Ferentz 4 Punky 0.

You can have all the recruiting victories you want. I will even make a little axe for you that you can put in the empty trophy case that says, "Punky outrecruited BB, but lost the real axe. 2007, 2008, 2009"

i think most reasonable people would expect brewsters freshman and sophomores to take out the alvarez seniors and ferentz's 10 year established team

i think most of america is still stunned brewster didnt pull it off like most college football experts expected in year one and two of the power house known as gopher football

i think most reasonable people would expect brewsters freshman and sophomores to take out the alvarez seniors and ferentz's 10 year established team

I think most people expect us to be regularly on top of Iowa and Wisconsin starting very soon, probably Wisconsin this year and Iowa next year, and continuing thereafter. That's the way it should be, for chrissakes, unless the state of Iowa all of a sudden starts producing Florida-quality HS football talent, ha ha ha.

Obviously it takes a few years for recruiting "wins" to translate to the field. A bunch of freshmen/sophomores isn't going to immediately transform a football team.

For the 10th time, the reality is he arrived in Janurary 2007 and had less than a month to recruit. So in my mind that was a lost recruiting year. The reality is he has two recruitng classes so far, 2008 & 2009. He now as true sophmores, redshirt freshman and true freshman as his core players that he recruited, hardly enough time to put his guys in place. Asking true freshman to come in and make an immediate contribution in the Big Ten is asking a lot.

Can he coach, that he has yet to prove. We cannot judge until the players he recruited are seniors, thats when the rubeer meets the road!

For the 10th time, the reality is he arrived in Janurary 2007 and had less than a month to recruit. So in my mind that was a lost recruiting year. The reality is he has two recruitng classes so far, 2008 & 2009. He now as true sophmores, redshirt freshman and true freshman as his core players that he recruited, hardly enough time to put his guys in place. Asking true freshman to come in and make an immediate contribution in the Big Ten is asking a lot.

Can he coach, that he has yet to prove. We cannot judge until the players he recruited are seniors, thats when the rubeer meets the road!

YAHTZEE

like i said.....brewsters freshmen and sophomores are what you are basing him on this year

it's hilarious

Do you realize how embarrassingly pathetic your life is? Nothing says I am a short, fat guy who subsists on Doritos and Mountain Dew more than a post like this.

That is not a very nice thing to say. I know the truth hurts, but you don't have to resort to personal insults. Relax, it is only football. After this fall it will be 0-6, but Punky can still go out there and win that recruitung trophy.

Why Do These Morons Come to this Forum?

This gets so old. I have to take a deep breath and try to understand:

1) These are probably typical passive-aggressive Minnesotans--they say these things in a post that they would never say face to face. They also hate people who are forthright and goal-oriented. "Positive sucks. I want you to be as miserable as I am."

2) They are not U of M supporters--they come here to cause trouble.

3) They are ignorant--anyone who has watched this program over the last 10 years say that we had reached a certain level, never to surpass. You have to start from scratch to rebuild a program; Mason was happy with status quo. Brewster realized the need to reboot the program. Ferenz won three games his first two years with Iowa.

4) Not getting one player opens up the scholarship for another--Most players rated less than 4 stars are interchangable. You need to find the right fit. Brewster has done that. The quality of players on this team may be the best since Stoll's Dungy-Upchurch teams. This will continue. They players believe--that's all that matters.

This is really bad news, I could care less about Coker, but I believe this is now 4 players who had Minnesota and Iowa as their final two (Hardy, Coker,Shumpert, Kirksey) and the Gophers are 0 for 4. Brewster's first two recruiting classes were significantly better than Iowa's... what is going on here? Brewster was hired for his recruiting and I certainly don't think its acceptable to see that take a step back, we should be expecting a step forward in year 3.

Edwards & Parish had Iowa offers.

Hardy doesn't bother me, BB is the one who should be torn up about that one. Coker doesn't bother me, we don't need another back in the mold of Kirkwood. However, it would have been nice to get one of these two, especially since one of them has a brother on the team?? I am surprised that they didn't at least wait to take a visit here, but o well.

Christian Kirksey and Brandon Kirksey are not brothers. Christian is actually Brandon's uncle.

got to agree with dp on this one, as I commented yesterday on a potshot in another thread, I get so pissed with these hit and run negative pokes against Brewster or the program, things are good right now, new stadium, anticipation for the season, some hope for a step in the direction of Big Ten and national relevance, so these cheapshots are all the naysayers can muster, then at the first sign of trouble they come out of the woodwork blabbing about how they all warned us that Brewster was hopeless and the program is goin downhill.

Commentary and criticism is fine, but back it up and state your position based on fact and logic. Then stick with it, and eat crow when your wrong. We were 7-6 last year, Iowa was what? 8-5?
Yeah they whooped up on us, but to say that now all recruits are "on to Brewster" and "he's all talk no walk" is rediculous.

It is not fair to compare our 7-6 to Iowa's 8-5 and you know it. Iowa got better as the year went on and Minnesota turned into complete garbage. Brewster and the staff could not get the team to show up at all starting with the Michigan game. That is a coaching problem. I have been a Brewster booster since day one but every Gopher football supporter needs to view this season with a critical eye. Here's hoping we have a fantastic season and Brewster gets his extension so we can continue to recruit and fill the new stadium.

Why was Mason allowed 10 years of mediocrity, but Brewster's head is being called for in year 3? QUOTE]

Because Mason had previous head coaching experience and when he came to Minnesota, he did better than his predecessor. Brewster has a shorter leash because people are probably wary of whether or not he can actually coach. The team's performance the last two years has justified that concern. Don't get me wrong, I hated Mason with the red-hot intensity of a thousand suns. It is also a very good point that Brewster needs time to get the all of his players onto the roster. A lot of two deeps ARE still dominated by Mason guys. With the quality of talent Brew and the staff have brought in, they are putting the Brewster regime in great shape to have some very successul years. Lets hope that begins in 2009.

Why was Mason allowed 10 years of mediocrity, but Brewster's head is being called for in year 3? QUOTE]

Because Mason had previous head coaching experience and when he came to Minnesota, he did better than his predecessor. Brewster has a shorter leash because people are probably wary of whether or not he can actually coach. The team's performance the last two years has justified that concern. Don't get me wrong, I hated Mason with the red-hot intensity of a thousand suns. It is also a very good point that Brewster needs time to get the all of his players onto the roster. A lot of two deeps ARE still dominated by Mason guys. With the quality of talent Brew and the staff have brought in, they are putting the Brewster regime in great shape to have some very successul years. Lets hope that begins in 2009.

I really agree with your sentiments here and addressing my post, but I just can't understand an automatic mistrust of a 1st time head coach, track records can be misleading and I would argue, after the last regime, can be very intoxicating(if that's the word), our program was the victim of resting on it's own accomplishments, assuming mediocrity, and expecting support and reverance because of it. We have not exceeded the success level but the expectation and hunger I see in Brewster's hard work and dedication to recruiting and selling the program is proof enough to give a leash of 4 years, I really feel that Brew's motto behind the scenes is " Rose Bowl or Bust", and he may very well bust, but he is not assuming anything less. I appreciate that in a head coach.

I really agree with your sentiments here and addressing my post, but I just can't understand an automatic mistrust of a 1st time head coach, track records can be misleading and I would argue, after the last regime, can be very intoxicating(if that's the word), our program was the victim of resting on it's own accomplishments, assuming mediocrity, and expecting support and reverance because of it. We have not exceeded the success level but the expectation and hunger I see in Brewster's hard work and dedication to recruiting and selling the program is proof enough to give a leash of 4 years, I really feel that Brew's motto behind the scenes is " Rose Bowl or Bust", and he may very well bust, but he is not assuming anything less. I appreciate that in a head coach.

Hear hear! I agree with this 100%. Mason had his bobos and there is nothing Brew could ever have done to win them over from the get-go. For other out-of-the-box haters, I think there is a certain portion of the population that is so jaded with Gopher football and the mediocrity that they are instantly turned off by someone who comes out and says we're going to the Rose Bowl. For them it is easy to say, Brewster hasn't done squat and we've been backsliding for 2 years. Brew's bombastic personality throws gasoline on the fire for these folks.

For my own part, the reason I hated Mason so much was his satisfaction with mediocrity. I am so intensely devoted to winning that it was a slap in my face that he thought 7-5 is "a good year for a Gopher team." Brewster's expectations and pride in the history of Gopher football won him my total dedication from the outset. I must admit, though, that some of those old feelings came creeping up when I went to the Michigan game last year and that Iowa game was so beyond the bounds of unacceptable that I should just shut up on that before I go too far.

Bottom line: I want with every cell of my body for the Gophers to go 12-0. I expect nothing less. So does Brewster. Not one person can dispute that. But when bad things happen, I have to look at the coach. I am looking for and expecting great things this year. Brewster has to get that extension so we can recruit effectively. If Michigan-thru-Iowa happens again this year, the name Tony Dungy is going to be coming out of my mouth and I don't think there is anything wrong with that if you are as passionate about the University of Minnesota as I am.

I think most people expect us to be regularly on top of Iowa and Wisconsin starting very soon, probably Wisconsin this year and Iowa next year, and continuing thereafter. That's the way it should be, for chrissakes, unless the state of Iowa all of a sudden starts producing Florida-quality HS football talent, ha ha ha.

Obviously it takes a few years for recruiting "wins" to translate to the field. A bunch of freshmen/sophomores isn't going to immediately transform a football team.

The state of iowa although small, puts out some good football players. Aplington Parkersburg, that small school on espn last friday has 4 starting nfl players out of a town of 1600. No one is saying you guys have not made a jump in the right direction. You have a new stadium, your coach is bringing in some talent,etc. When it comes to the facts though, No one outside gopher nation is expecting Minnesota to regularly be on top of Wisconsin and Iowa. No one. Competitive, yes. Better, no. Iowa and Wisconsin have been the most consistent teams outside of the big two over the past several years.

1. Iowa was 9-4 last year, not 8-5. Those 4 losses were also by a total of 12 points. Regardless of record, recruiting stars, etc. Ferentz will field a competitive team. Ferentz has had some pretty bad recruiting classes based on star "potential" that have outperformed much higher ranked classes. This is because Ferentz can evaluate talent as good as anyone.

2. The 10-2 record comment made me laugh. The conference is down? If you actually watched the BTn practice tour or ESPN both networks are saying the big ten has no legit national title contender but is very deep and balanced with bowl teams. No one should be proclaiming 10-2 when you lose at home last year 55-0. no one. It is actually quite laughable. Building a program is a process, not a flick of the finger. Brewster so far looks like hes done an alright job. Expect a bowl game with around 7-8 wins at best. Last year for non-conference you had Northern Illinois, Bowling Green, Montana State, and Florida Atlantic. This year you have a good Air Force team, a top ten Cal team, and go to Syracuse to play a team that could beat you. Probably not, but it is a big east opponent and Doug Marrone is a very good coach.

Shoot, your big ten schedule gets even tougher. @PSU, @tOSU, and @Iowa. The three best big ten teams you face on the road(you can piss at Iowa but Dinardo on the iowa preview special just last night said Iowa was gonna contend for the title and be co-champs). You follow that up with @NW as well who won 9 games last year including beating you at home. Illinois and MSU will both be tough at TCF. MSU will be and the Illini might even be favored. You beat one team last year with a winning record. FAU at 7-6. I think you guys beat Wisconsin this year, but you have won 2 of the last 14 meetings against them. 10-2 is pretty funny stuff. It is a process and you need to see it as that. If you win 7-8 games on your schedule, I would call that a successful season.

If i looked at your 2009 season, the only sure games i would call locks would be SDSU, Cuse, and Wisconsin(and they beat you last year). I see you guys probably beating Purdue as well. The Air Force Academy is good and Cal will steam roll you guys. They are gonna win the Pac ten this year. They are stacked.

Hear hear! I agree with this 100%. Mason had his bobos and there is nothing Brew could ever have done to win them over from the get-go. For other out-of-the-box haters, I think there is a certain portion of the population that is so jaded with Gopher football and the mediocrity that they are instantly turned off by someone who comes out and says we're going to the Rose Bowl. For them it is easy to say, Brewster hasn't done squat and we've been backsliding for 2 years. Brew's bombastic personality throws gasoline on the fire for these folks.

For my own part, the reason I hated Mason so much was his satisfaction with mediocrity. I am so intensely devoted to winning that it was a slap in my face that he thought 7-5 is "a good year for a Gopher team." Brewster's expectations and pride in the history of Gopher football won him my total dedication from the outset. I must admit, though, that some of those old feelings came creeping up when I went to the Michigan game last year and that Iowa game was so beyond the bounds of unacceptable that I should just shut up on that before I go too far.

Bottom line: I want with every cell of my body for the Gophers to go 12-0. I expect nothing less. So does Brewster. Not one person can dispute that. But when bad things happen, I have to look at the coach. I am looking for and expecting great things this year. Brewster has to get that extension so we can recruit effectively. If Michigan-thru-Iowa happens again this year, the name Tony Dungy is going to be coming out of my mouth and I don't think there is anything wrong with that if you are as passionate about the University of Minnesota as I am.

Here's my perspective, I'm pretty young still, I grew up in the stands of the metrodome coming to games with my grandfather who has had tickets for 50 years. I was that little kid crawling around the seats and cheering for Tutu Atwell because his name was fun to say. I knew very little of the state of gopher football, the history beyond the metrodome, but the games were fun and I could spend time with my grandpa. As I grew up i saw more football, got to know the game a bit, played in HS etc. I was still a fan, but the never ending lack of D and meltdowns made me question Mason's motivation. The 06 season sealed it fro me the rebuilding comment and close win against NDSU, along with a total lack of effort at Camp Randall that year. Another bowl anyway and then the meltdown, I was seriously befuddled why anyone could still support Mason after that. Brewster was hired and initially I didn't think much of it, but he said the right things and seemed to bring an energy that I really could relate to.

I think the depth and experience of this year's squad will allow Brewster to show us what kind of coach he is. There is talent, there is speed, there is leadership from the upperclassmen, if we stumble and by stumble I mean 4 wins or less, then its time to turn up the heat and if in 2010 we can't do any better then Brewster is out, but I just have a feeling the team suprises all of us, and wins more than we expect, maybe not in a consistent way, I for some reason see a big upset and a big letdown this year, don't know why just an gut feeling but enough to start to trust Brewster's leadership. If not, bring on Dungy, I'd be suprised if he came, but a college coach would be a great position to do meaningful community work through which seems to be his mantre nowadays.

Anyways it all starts Saturday @ Syracuse Go Gophs!

Top Bottom