Don Shumpert and Christian Kirskey to Iowa.

Gopherprof

Reaction score
Grrrrrrr......

What's with Iowa learning how to recruit all of the sudden? I really liked Shumpert.:cry:

This is really bad news, I could care less about Coker, but I believe this is now 4 players who had Minnesota and Iowa as their final two (Hardy, Coker,Shumpert, Kirksey) and the Gophers are 0 for 4. Brewster's first two recruiting classes were significantly better than Iowa's... what is going on here? Brewster was hired for his recruiting and I certainly don't think its acceptable to see that take a step back, we should be expecting a step forward in year 3.

Hardy doesn't bother me, BB is the one who should be torn up about that one. Coker doesn't bother me, we don't need another back in the mold of Kirkwood. However, it would have been nice to get one of these two, especially since one of them has a brother on the team?? I am surprised that they didn't at least wait to take a visit here, but o well.

Eh, in Brewster I trust. I've got a feeling he's going to finish strong. There's a lot of time left and Sept 12 will be electric. That night will be the easiest sell he's had here.

That's annoying for now, but I don't believe by the end of the recruiting season that we will view it as a loss. They'll either decommit or we're after and will get someone better.

Brewster is not going to be outrecruited by the likes of Bielema or Ferentz. How long it takes for the results to play out on the field, we'll have to see.

1. I'm not convinced this is a done deal. It's a long way to signing day.

2. From the 2008-2010 classes here are the players who had offers from both MN and Iowa and chose 1 of those 2.

MN over Iowa
2010 Lamonte Edwards
2010 Tom Parish
2009 Bryant Allen
2009 Rashede Hageman
2009 Kerry Lewis
2009 Joey Searcy
2008 Marques Gray
2008 Brandon Green
2008 Sam Maresh

Iowa over MN
2010 Don Shumpert
2010 Christian Kirsksey
2010 Marcus Coker
2010 Mike Hardy
2009 Brandon Wegher
2008 Riley Reiff

9 > 6....although I don't like this trend either.

As we've learned many times, a verbal commit is far from a done deal (especially when its done in August and not January). We've been on both sides of this before (i.e. Stephens, Cooper, and Carter to name a few) and its a long time until signing day. I'll start to get worried in December if this class is ranked lower than in past years but I'm not too worried now.

Brewster's first two recruiting classes were significantly better than Iowa's... what is going on here?

55-0. That's one thing.

For another thing, this is sort of the way it goes with most coaching regimes. You come in and cause some excitement (and Brewster created a lot). Recruits who might not have looked at the school before get caught up in that excitement and you get a bump that first year, or even two years. But then you have to prove it on the field, no matter how good a recruiter you are. I think this season will go a long way in determining how successful Brewster will be here.

The newness factor is beginning to wear off on Brewster, and right now, Iowa looks like a better program. Hopefully, TCF Bank Stadium will generate some of that same enthusiasm.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see a very high close rate on guys he gets up here for official visits. It was high when we were in the Metrodump and I have to believe the new stadium and better gameday atmosphere will help in this regard.

Anyone know if they are still planning to visit, or is this a solid verbal situation no more visits, I could see a trip to TCF swaying opinions.

I'm obviously a Coach Brew fan, but I can see where some legit criticisms have their place, however, I think the track record on recruiting has been excellent, I won't second guess Brewster's recruiting until we see a real down year and I'd be suprised if we end up on signing day looking at Iowa's class with envy.

Until signing day, nothing is official. A lot can change throughout the course of a high school/college season.

Brewster

I think a lot of these recruits have figured out Brewster. It's great to talk the talk but eventually you have to walk the walk. His record thus far isn't walking the walk. We need a quality season to validate these classes. Otherwise, forget the good classes of the past.

I can't help but think that success of the programs is impacting recruits decisions. I also think that the non conference games this year are critical for the perception of the program on a national level. Really need to beat Syracuse and Airforce Academy to get the momentum kick started after the end of last season. The Cal game would be a huge bonus.

Yeah, and if we win a national championship by beating everybody, that will help too.

I think a lot of these recruits have figured out Brewster. It's great to talk the talk but eventually you have to walk the walk. His record thus far isn't walking the walk. We need a quality season to validate these classes. Otherwise, forget the good classes of the past.

I'm sorry, but you are an idiot (and likely nothing more than a troll). Brewster has been the coach for TWO seasons. TWO. He had an abominable first season (like scores of other coaches who have since gone on to very successful careers), and had a typical Mason-like season in his second year. If he completely and utterly fails this year, then you have a legitimate complaint. But he has recruited like we haven't seen here in decades, and appears to have the program back on the road to national contention.

If you thought he was going to stroll in here and start taking the team to Rose Bowls, and that's what constitutes "walking the walk" for you, then you have absolutely zero concept of how college football works, and you need to limit yourself to this one troll post.

got to agree with dp on this one, as I commented yesterday on a potshot in another thread, I get so pissed with these hit and run negative pokes against Brewster or the program, things are good right now, new stadium, anticipation for the season, some hope for a step in the direction of Big Ten and national relevance, so these cheapshots are all the naysayers can muster, then at the first sign of trouble they come out of the woodwork blabbing about how they all warned us that Brewster was hopeless and the program is goin downhill.

Commentary and criticism is fine, but back it up and state your position based on fact and logic. Then stick with it, and eat crow when your wrong. We were 7-6 last year, Iowa was what? 8-5?
Yeah they whooped up on us, but to say that now all recruits are "on to Brewster" and "he's all talk no walk" is rediculous.

If you thought he was going to stroll in here and start taking the team to Rose Bowls, and that's what constitutes "walking the walk" for you, then you have absolutely zero concept of how college football works, and you need to limit yourself to this one troll post.[/QUOTE]

Sorry and I'm not trying to defend a troll, but when you ship a piece of the Rose Bowl turf to your facility and create a shrine for it, a portion of the general public are going to believe the above to be true.

dpodoll68 and Ole, there is nothing Smokey Joe stated that isn't necessarily false, and in my opinion his statement didn't seem too negative at all. Saying recruits are on to Brew is trollish, yes, but for all intents and purposes, his statement was fact. Brew is a salesman who has yet to prove his coaching credentials. I love what he's doing for the program, I definitely do not want to see this guy go for at least another two seasons (hopefully never with the unbounded optimism he's brought to the table and continues to bring), but he needs to put up a W or two against quality Big Ten opponents. This is the year. Rebuilding time is over. We have the talent, and we have to get it done this season. Next season is going to be tough. It's likely a handful of guys we are expecting little from are going to step it up this year and give us a great deal of confidence for 2010, but we lose way too much in talent after this season based on current observations.

To clarify my position to ensure you don't rain your hate parade down on good ol' Snidely, as I've stated before, I'll state again: This year we take Cal and Penn State as marquee wins. 10-2. Losses to tOSU and Illinois. The rest of the Big Ten is a joke based on what they've lost between seasons. We're going to see a diminished conference, a greatly improved o-line, and a defense that stays fresh because of it.

***Iowa was 9-4 and upset a BCS team in PSU

My bad, no doubt they had a nice season last year, and really busted us up, but I still don't think that defends a comment like "recruits have figured Brewster out".

The NEXT 2 YEARS will tell how good of a coach Brew really is IMO, he has settled in, the players are for the most part his, the stadium is done. Will the good recruiting continue?
Will he be able to keep his coaches?
Will he be able to make in-game adjustments(My biggest problem with his coaching)
Can we beat both Iowa and Wisconsin?
Can we make it to a new years+ bowl?
Can he spark the fanbase and the WHOLE STATE to get on the gopher train?
With a tough schedule this year, I think the W's will be less important than momentum towards next year where I think the ball is in his hands to show us he is the man. after 2 years, I will have my opinion on him as the coach to lead us to roses or not, at this moment we still need to give him more TIME and experience.

no big

My bad, no doubt they had a nice season last year, and really busted us up, but I still don't think that defends a comment like "recruits have figured Brewster out".

i'm with you on that one. one blow-out doesn't mean you have figured the coach out. Kids like programs that win, and with Iowa's good last year its why they are winning some of these battles. Give brew a chance to get these kids up to the bank and the verbals will start rolling in....

dpodoll68 and Ole, there is nothing Smokey Joe stated that isn't necessarily false, and in my opinion his statement didn't seem too negative at all. Saying recruits are on to Brew is trollish, yes, but for all intents and purposes, his statement was fact. Brew is a salesman who has yet to prove his coaching credentials. I love what he's doing for the program, I definitely do not want to see this guy go for at least another two seasons (hopefully never with the unbounded optimism he's brought to the table and continues to bring), but he needs to put up a W or two against quality Big Ten opponents. This is the year. Rebuilding time is over. We have the talent, and we have to get it done this season. Next season is going to be tough. It's likely a handful of guys we are expecting little from are going to step it up this year and give us a great deal of confidence for 2010, but we lose way too much in talent after this season based on current observations.

To clarify my position to ensure you don't rain your hate parade down on good ol' Snidely, as I've stated before, I'll state again: This year we take Cal and Penn State as marquee wins. 10-2. Losses to tOSU and Illinois. The rest of the Big Ten is a joke based on what they've lost between seasons. We're going to see a diminished conference, a greatly improved o-line, and a defense that stays fresh because of it.

Alright, coffee's wearing off a bit, I've calmed down, and your post is spot on, and I agree we are still looking for that big time victory to elevate our program, I just don't think that before year 3 of a coaches tenor we can say yeah or neah whether a coach has credentials. We showed great improvement last year IMO, i just feel like there are some in our fanbase who for some reason just love to take shots maybe its self medication for some of the frustrations we've had as a fanbase for the past few years. I dunno...

That's annoying for now, but I don't believe by the end of the recruiting season that we will view it as a loss. They'll either decommit or we're after and will get someone better.

Brewster is not going to be outrecruited by the likes of Bielema or Ferentz. How long it takes for the results to play out on the field, we'll have to see.

You do get that it only matters what happens on the field, right?

So far, BB and Ferentz 4 Punky 0.

You can have all the recruiting victories you want. I will even make a little axe for you that you can put in the empty trophy case that says, "Punky outrecruited BB, but lost the real axe. 2007, 2008, 2009"

You can have all the recruiting victories you want. I will even make a little axe for you that you can put in the empty trophy case that says, "Punky outrecruited BB, but lost the real axe. 2007, 2008, 2009"

And here we go...
I'd be more concerned about your coaches ability to control his program, he really hasn't proven much yet besides being able to coast on Alverez's reputation and players to success.

Hey Troll, did you ever try that self help advice I had for you a while back?? Really, you should try it, just stand in front of a mirror and repeat "I am worth it" over and over until you break down and start crying, at that point you will have lied to yourself so much that you can start from nothing again. Its not until you are nothing, that you are free to do anything. Then you can quit coming on this board to feel good about your life and move on to more productive things (ie- anything except trolling message boards for a living). Good talk little buddy, we all wish you luck, someday you'll find happiness.

Top Bottom