Does the passage of the Vikings stadium bill...

Wait, what? Am I reading this incorrectly? Are you saying you'd prefer to be in the Vikings stadium than in TCF?
The only thing that you've done incorrectly is not realize that OutHouseGopher is actually lonely loser PantherHawk. He's been banned for the umpteenth time at KFAN, so he's here until they wise up and boot him.

Wait, what? Am I reading this incorrectly? Are you saying you'd prefer to be in the Vikings stadium than in TCF?

Well, duh. Would you rather buy a $280,000,000 home or a $1,000,000,000 home with someone else footing a large portion of the bill? Can you imagine recruiting in/to a brand new, $1,000,000,000, full size, state of the art, NFL football stadium with all the bells and whistles? Apparently not!

For those who missed it, the Vikes and the U discussed a joint venture long before TCF came to fruition.

Well, duh. Would you rather buy a $280,000,000 home or a $1,000,000,000 home with someone else footing a large portion of the bill? Can you imagine recruiting in/to a brand new, $1,000,000,000, full size, state of the art, NFL football stadium with all the bells and whistles? Apparently not!

For those who missed it, the Vikes and the U discussed a joint venture long before TCF came to fruition.

pukehead-3.jpg

Would you rather buy a $280,000,000 home or a $1,000,000,000 home with someone else footing a large portion of the bill?

That's a false equivalency. The real question is, "Would you rather buy a $280 mil home or live in a $1 bil time-share that someone else owns and can kick you out whenever they want to live there?" I'd rather have my own home, thanks.

And, brain wizard that you are, you should know that BCS teams who play in NFL stadiums (Pitt, for example), have a harder time recruiting, not easier, regardless of how "state of the art" those facilities are. But I'm sure you already knew that.

How's the Harry Potter fan fiction going?

UzTta.gif

...mean we get to be subjected to another ≥ 30 years of nonsense about how it's the Vikings' fault that the Gophers suck?

Very few people (and wrongly so) ONLY blame the Vikings. But sure, if you want to make crass generalizations, go ahead. Doesn't change the fact that what happened yesterday was not a positive outcome for Gopher Football.

Would you rather live in a $280,000,000 home that you own and control, or would you rather live in the basement of a $1,000,000,000 home where your allowed a little cot, but aren't allowed to use the good furniture, you don't control the remote, and you aren't allowed in the living room when the owner has people over. We've been down this road before, playing at someone else's stadium would be a recruiting disadvantage. The U can take recruits to TCF Bank Stadium when they please. If they were tenants, they would have to get permission. In the Metrodome, there was nothing "Gophers" about it. Just cheap plastic banners, and a painted-in logo.

Very few people (and wrongly so) ONLY blame the Vikings. But sure, if you want to make crass generalizations, go ahead. Doesn't change the fact that what happened yesterday was not a positive outcome for Gopher Football.
so are you saying it's a negative outcome for Gopher Football?

What happened yesterday for the U was $3,000,000. That isn't bad. If the Vikings had left, it is possible that the Gophers might get some increased attendance. Would it come to $3,000,000? There's no way to know that. The media coverage on the NFL would be unlikely to decrease much, if at all. It might well increase NFL coverage, with the coverage being about getting a new team here. If the Vikings did leave, the state would move Heaven and Earth to get a new team and a new stadium here. The Gophers would then be dealing with the Minnesota Jaguars instead of the Vikings. Nothing much would change for the U.

The U comes out as a huge winner in this situation as they will get their field heated plus they will get $250,000 per game that the Vikings play at TCF Bank. Just think what a huge impact that could have for Gopher athletics. Teams like USD, SDSU, and mid majors pay for almost all of their athletic budget by taking money to play major conference schools in football. The U will get more money than that and wont have to do anything at all. The Gophers are huge winners in a new stadium because they will probably get 2 years of cash if not 3.

If the Vikings would have left a new stadium would have been built before the team would have even arrived and the Gophers would have gotten nothing. This was a no brainer type deal for the state imo.

I wonder if this means that TCF Stadium will be featured in Madden? EA will already have the stadium mockups for NCAA so I don't see how it would be difficult to include it. That would be pretty neat.

I assume you must be kidding. No chance of that EVER happening.

While I tend to agree with you on this generally... No chance of that EVER is a big statement. Indiana and us have some similarities, and downtown Minneapolis is closer than Washington DC. Don't forget, we are an athletic department that has already has a precendent for that kind of thing as we did that with the UW hockey series at Target Center a few times in the past.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/2768/indiana-penn-state-to-play-at-fedex-field-in-2010

http://www.examiner.com/article/gop...target-center-about-ten-years-badgers-win-3-2

While I tend to agree with you on this generally... No chance of that EVER is a big statement. Indiana and us have some similarities, and downtown Minneapolis is closer than Washington DC. Don't forget, we are an athletic department that has already has a precendent for that kind of thing as we did that with the UW hockey series at Target Center a few times in the past.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/2768/indiana-penn-state-to-play-at-fedex-field-in-2010

http://www.examiner.com/article/gop...target-center-about-ten-years-badgers-win-3-2

Last season's game with UW in hockey moved b/c of an epic scheduling screw up by the U, not to make more money. I'd love to totally disagree that the U wouldn't do something stupid like Indiana did but I can't. I hope a new AD will bring enough change in this regard. The difference is that Indiana didn't move the Purdue game. They moved the Penn State game (a team they've never beaten). So in that example only the Nebby game would be at risk by comparison. Just picture the fan backlash if they tried to move the Iowa game or Wisconsin game to a neutral site. Heck, forget the fans...Kill would be PISSED.

Last season's game with UW in hockey moved b/c of an epic scheduling screw up by the U, not to make more money. I'd love to totally disagree that the U wouldn't do something stupid like Indiana did but I can't. I hope a new AD will bring enough change in this regard. The difference is that Indiana didn't move the Purdue game. They moved the Penn State game (a team they've never beaten). So in that example only the Nebby game would be at risk by comparison. Just picture the fan backlash if they tried to move the Iowa game or Wisconsin game to a neutral site. Heck, forget the fans...Kill would be PISSED.

As I said originally, I tend to doubt it would happen, but we have pulled some idiotic things around here over the years. Still, Coach Kill and the fact they are rivalry games (outside UNL) gives me hope that we wouldn't pull such a stunt. That said, don't forget the 1996 Gopher 5-0 win over UW at Target Center either. IIRC that game was one of our home games, but in the hope of selling more tickets we moved that game too. Never underestimate the ability of the University to screw things up for the home team. I can just hear some idiot sitting around a table at the University saying "we could make some money and it would be just like the Texas-OU game in Dallas! Half red and half gold." Ughhh..

As I said originally, I tend to doubt it would happen, but we have pulled some idiotic things around here over the years. Still, Coach Kill and the fact they are rivalry games (outside UNL) gives me hope that we wouldn't pull such a stunt. That said, don't forget the 1996 Gopher 5-0 win over UW at Target Center either. IIRC that game was one of our home games, but in the hope of selling more tickets we moved that game too. Never underestimate the ability of the University to screw things up for the home team. I can just hear some idiot sitting around a table at the University saying "we could make some money and it would be just like the Texas-OU game in Dallas! Half red and half gold." Ughhh..

I'm too young to remember the '96 game. At least, as a hockey fan. I was all basketball all the time in my youth. =)

An annual game with NDSU at the new stadium would be a big moneymaker for both schools. I wouldn't be for it, but I would understand it.

I'd love to totally disagree that the U wouldn't do something stupid like Indiana did but I can't. I hope a new AD will bring enough change in this regard. The difference is that Indiana didn't move the Purdue game. They moved the Penn State game (a team they've never beaten). So in that example only the Nebby game would be at risk by comparison.

Perhaps. But maybe we do like NW did, when they moved their Illinois game to Wrigley. This kind of stuff could start happening with regularity.

Perhaps. But maybe we do like NW did, when they moved their Illinois game to Wrigley. This kind of stuff could start happening with regularity.

True, but that rivalry doesn't have the heat the MN/WI or MN/IA do. Also, their STH #'s are dismal even when compared to ours. That game was held (in part) to drive up season ticket numbers and create buzz for the program. A Gophers rivalry game in a new but ultimately generic NFL stadium isn't going to hold the same benefit in terms of season ticket sales as playing in an iconic baseball stadium. It was also paired with a Chicago specific marketing campaign that was improved by actually playing a game in Chicago. This isn't a decision that would be able to happen in a vacuum. People remember the "bad old days" in the Dome. They will be very displeased if the U tried to bring them back for money.

I don't see the U going there for a conference game, but the trend of team A playing team B at XXXXXXX Stadium isn't going away. It wouldn't surprise me if they tried to move the Navy game over there.

...mean we get to be subjected to another ≥ 30 years of nonsense about how it's the Vikings' fault that the Gophers suck?

This will definitely detract from our program as there is no way to compete with this atmosphere:

The bill approved by legislators calls for building a 65,000-seat stadium that could be expanded to handle 72,000 fans. It would include 7,500 club seats, 150 suites and space for gift shops, restaurants and an NFL team museum and Hall of Fame.

The stadium would have a fixed roof, but the team has an option of installing a retractable cover if it chooses.

"It's an enormous undertaking," Grabarski said, adding that the stadium will cost three times the sum needed to erect a 50-story skyscraper. "It's one of the largest enclosed facilities ever conceived. And it will be some time before we see anything like it again."

Here's my quick, off-the-top of my head list of the top 10 college football programs over the last 20 years: USC, Florida, Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio St., LSU, Florida St., Auburn, and someone else. Now tell me this: How many of these schools share cities with NFL teams? The answer is zero.

If college football trends the way of the NFL(fantasy sports) in popularity then playing an offsite game at a bigger venue to bring in more $ will happen.

The University of Miami has shared a city with the Dolphins, and I believe they have had some pretty good years. There's no NFL team in Los Angeles now, but USC shared a city with one, and sometimes two NFL teams, and they had some pretty good years when they didn't have the city all to themselves.

The University of Miami has shared a city with the Dolphins, and I believe they have had some pretty good years. There's no NFL team in Los Angeles now, but USC shared a city with one, and sometimes two NFL teams, and they had some pretty good years when they didn't have the city all to themselves.
+1, I believe that the Twin Cities is a big enough market to support both a successful college and pro team. The Gophers need to do a better job of getting people in their 20's and 30's into the team, recent alums are key. A successful team on the field will breed a better TCF atmosphere and create memories which will keep alums going to games after they're done with school.

I would think the biggest key for the Gophers program is to actually get its students to the games. There is no reason that their shouldnt be a line of students ready to grab any empty seats at TCF. Lets remember having an on campus stadium was supposed to fix the Gopher Football teams lack of student support in the seats.

I am not sure what the policy is but any un-sold tickets on game day say 20 minutes before game time should be put on sale to those students in line outside the stadium for a discount. Need to have your student ID to get discount and fill up all empty seats with Gopher students.

+1, I believe that the Twin Cities is a big enough market to support both a successful college and pro team. The Gophers need to do a better job of getting people in their 20's and 30's into the team, recent alums are key. A successful team on the field will breed a better TCF atmosphere and create memories which will keep alums going to games after they're done with school.

The market is certainly big enough - there are enough Fortune 500 companies, enough middle-class residents, and plenty of alums of the U to fill the seats and eyes on TV for both programs.

That said, a smaller market (I'm thinking in the range of between 100,000 and 500,000 in a 20 mile radius) that doesn't share a pro team (in any sport, but most notably football) absolutely has an advantage for ticket sales and top-to-bottom loyalty to a collegiate program. Here are my reasons:

- They're the only game in town. People want to root for a "hometown team," and in this case they're the only one. The vibrancy of their city or town depends on the success of their team so fans will be more ardent for that program than an NFL (or NBA/MLB/etc) team 100+ miles away. Heck, many people may even seek out a college town like that to live in because they either went to the school or just like that atmosphere of die-hard rabid fans.
- Local media (radio, tv, newspaper, etc) cover them nearly exclusively. Go down to Iowa City/Coralville. It's tough to get the Des Moines Register, but the local paper is easy to come by. They have a much larger coverage of all things Hawkeyes than the Strib and PP combined do (and I've been fairly pleased recently in their coverage). You'll also have a much higher chance of positive coverage by these outlets, which helps perception of the program(s).
- Going back to point #1 - funding, whether gov't supported or private fundraising, a reasonably college town (or state with no NFL team) gets the lion's share of donations and support. Money has proven to be key in keeping facilities up to date, building new ones, etc to attract the top talent and coaches.
- The national media tips the scales for viewers and tickets towards pro sports simply because they are seen as a better product. They (most notably the NFL and MLB) have been run as efficient businesses for quite some time with a hefty investment in public relations to make people believe they are the top game in town in every angle from in-game atmosphere to viewing experience to quality of play on the field. This means that simply having a pro team in your area doesn't just cut your potential fans in half, it naturally gives a minimum 65/35 advantage, in my opinion.
- Larger markets, as evidenced by MSP and Chicago among many others, are made up of a diverse population. This includes people who attended rival universities (see Iowa and Wisc alums in the area) as well as other smaller school whose alums don't feel tied to the university in the big city (they already have their own). In our case we've got tons of UMD, St Cloud, NDSU, UND, Mankato, and other schools represented here, all of which have competed with our school in at least one sport if not more. This cuts away the number of people who could ever be in the range of mild to die-hard fans of the U.
- People have pointed it out before, but schools in major media markets recently got together to share ideas on how to compete in that environment. There is obviously a recognized issue with that particular situation.

I do think that a large portion of the U's struggles come from lack of spend and focus on athletics in the 70s, 80s, and early 90s. I also think the marketing of our programs has been lackluster (they even squandered an awesome opportunity with the new stadium when compared to Target Field, for example). Lastly, we've made some bonehead hires and fires. That said, I can't believe someone would argue that being competitive in a major market has its definite challenges compared to middle-sized cities where the school is the only name in town.

Top Bottom