Does PJ Fleck run his running backs into the ground?

Does he?

• Yes

Votes: 107 79.3%
  • No

Votes: 26 19.3%
  • Its balanced

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters
You forgot one: Backup RB gets a carry and either fumbles or fails to convert on short yardage and GH is livid Taylor wasn’t in the game.

Seriously though, as others have said above, Fleck did NOT do this early in his tenure here or as recently as ‘21. IMO, Mo (and now Taylor) have messed up the calculus because they’re so freaking good (and the backups, while capable, have been a HUGE step down).

This is true. The 2019 and prior model that combined a stud upper classman (Rodney) with a stud youngster (Mo) with a mix of other backs getting a few carries seems ideal. If not for the new portal/NIL rules, that mix could have continued on through today with Mo > Bucky > Taylor. It might be difficult for most teams to carry more than one star RB nowadays.

Taylor doesn't give one shit about 30 carries in games.
Do you think he gives a s___ if he only plays 6 out of 13 games in the season, due to injuries?

If a RB never got hurt even with 45 carries a game ....... then ... yeah.

They get hurt. That's why we're having this discussion. That's why there's a thread.

Last edited:

You forgot one: Backup RB gets a carry and either fumbles or fails to convert on short yardage and GH is livid Taylor wasn’t in the game.

Seriously though, as others have said above, Fleck did NOT do this early in his tenure here or as recently as ‘21. IMO, Mo (and now Taylor) have messed up the calculus because they’re so freaking good (and the backups, while capable, have been a HUGE step down).
I don't think Evans was a huge step down.

There has to have been something that went on there in the background.

Do you think he gives a s___ if it only plays 6 out of 13 games in the season, due to injuries?

They get hurt. That's why we're having this discussion. That's why there's a thread.
And the game Taylor got initially injured in was Northwestern. How's that turn out if he makes it to the finish line?

His 31 carries for 198 yds were awesome and built up the lead. However, it would have been great to have him at the end to play ball control and keep what turned out to be a susceptible Gopher defense off the field.

Do you think he gives a s___ if he only plays 6 out of 13 games in the season, due to injuries?

Hey dumfuk, Taylor got hurt on the 16th carry in the Iowa game. Under your logic, he should never have more than 15 carries, right?

Hey dumfuk, Taylor got hurt on the 16th carry in the Iowa game. Under your logic, he should never have more than 15 carries, right?
Which logic are you referring to? Where have we determined the correct number of carries to optimally maximize production vs minimize risk of injury? I think a whole lot of folks would be interested in that formula, if you can provide it.

You still owe us dividing total rushing attempts in the season by total offensive snaps played, instead of total games played in.

And the game Taylor got initially injured in was Northwestern. How's that turn out if he makes it to the finish line?

His 31 carries for 198 yds were awesome and built up the lead. However, it would have been great to have him at the end to play ball control and keep what turned out to be a susceptible Gopher defense off the field.
Hammys are tough.
80-90% of hamstring injuries I’ve seen happen early in contests not late. Usually when athletes overstrained if not properly warmed up. Obviously Taylor’s wasn’t that. It also can occur from muscle imbalance. For ex: DT’s quads had more power and torque than his Hammys could handle when fatigued.

From what I read fatigue generally provides more risk of hamstrings more than the specific workload of that day. For instance, the amount of training in 3-4 weeks leading up to his hamstring injury and the impact it has on the fatigue of muscles is probably more related than him specifically being tired that day.

As to the Iowa game. He shouldn’t have played. The fact he got hurt again means it wasn’t ready yet. Same thing happened to MB3 early in his career. Came back too early, lost nearly a full season.
Vikings were smart to sit Jefferson as long as they did. Better to wait two weeks too long than come back one week early

If I had a true Mason pair -- MB3 and LM -- I'd give each of them 20-25.

No one can possibly disagree with that, right?

It doesn’t matter if I do. It matter if Pj does.

Eastern Michigan
D Taylor 33 carries
S Tyler 17 carries
Nubin 0 carries

North Carolina
D Taylor 22 carries
Tyler 3 carries
Nubin 0 carries

Northwestern
Taylor 31 carries
Williams 5 carries
Nubin 0 carries

Iowa
Taylor 10 carries
Evans 10 carries (8 before Taylor’s last carry)
Tyler 9 carries (0 before Taylor’s last carry)
Nubin 0 carries

Bowling green
Taylor 35 carries
Nubin 3 carries

But sure it was just one bowl game
You seem to not know about the several games Nubin stepped in and carried the load.

You are a bit like the children who don't know how electricity is produced.

Top Bottom