Does PJ Fleck run his running backs into the ground?

Does he?

• Yes

Votes: 107 79.3%
  • No

Votes: 26 19.3%
  • Its balanced

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters

SanDiegoGopherFan

Reaction score
Based on how he used Mo and now Darius and if I remember he had Rodney and Shannon for just one year right?

Nubin is decent but hopefully Bangura is a much more capable backup. It was a big step down from Taylor to Nubin.

Taylor only carried the ball 35 times total in the last 6 games. That's less than 6 carries a game.
If we had a game in a week he probably couldn’t go tho.

Last edited:

I know some people get very touchy when anyone criticizes Fleck or his offensive philosophy.

but I think this is a perfectly valid subject for discussion.

I'll just say this: it will be very interesting to see what changes next year with Brosmer at QB. I suspect the offense will still feature the run, but IF Brosmer indeed proves to be a capable QB at a P5 level, then there is really no reason to run a back like Taylor 35 times. especially if Bangura gives them a capable backup.

We can’t even lure high end transfers despite running so much, because they probably view it like QBs, "well Taylor is the starting rb, he'll get all the carries".

Yes let's hope Bangura is better. I was very optimistic about Tyler pre-season.
Me too, but I think Bangura might be a better fit for our offense. I don’t have real high expectations due to his ypc in the MAC, but hopefully he surprises me.

It looks to me like this is what the top running backs in the country do. The workload probably depends a lot on how strong the bench is and how close the games are.

1703640529857.png

I know some people get very touchy when anyone criticizes Fleck or his offensive philosophy.

but I think this is a perfectly valid subject for discussion.

I'll just say this: it will be very interesting to see what changes next year with Brosmer at QB. I suspect the offense will still feature the run, but IF Brosmer indeed proves to be a capable QB at a P5 level, then there is really no reason to run a back like Taylor 35 times. especially if Bangura gives them a capable backup.
They have to get cranking on the passing attack to compliment the running game.

Good lord some of you work really hard to find things to complain about. What were we supposed to do today? Can't run Kramer a ton because your only other option is a walkon true freshman. Backup running back behind Taylor is another walkon.

Fleck rides the hot hand and when a running back is playing really well he sticks with him and gives him more carries.

I am not defending Fleck's tendency to stick with one back but when John McKay was asked about O.J. Simpson's number of carries, he said "He doesn't belong to a union"
What year was that again? I think most offenses have evolved since that time.

MOST offenses..

Show me the valid study statistic that proves 30+ carries one day a week is bad for a RB. Please.
Alright so I adamantly believe that running RBs too many times in a game leads to injuries based on anecdotes and personal feelings. However, best data I can find says you are right and I am wrong: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5347429/

“NFL RBs with a high number of carries are not placed at greater risk of injury or worsened performance during the subsequent season. These RBs may be generally less injury prone compared with other NFL RBs.”

Me too, but I think Bangura might be a better fit for our offense. I don’t have real high expectations due to his ypc in the MAC, but hopefully he surprises me.
He will have to be quite good to play ahead of Nubin.

It looks to me like this is what the top running backs in the country do. The workload probably depends a lot on how strong the bench is and how close the games are.

View attachment 29189
Taylor’s totals all need to be divided by five, not six games. His first college game he had one carry. Divided by five gives a realistic measure of what he did this year.

Good lord some of you work really hard to find things to complain about. What were we supposed to do today? Can't run Kramer a ton because your only other option is a walkon true freshman. Backup running back behind Taylor is another walkon.

Fleck rides the hot hand and when a running back is playing really well he sticks with him and gives him more carries.
It’s immaterial that Nubin was a walkon. He is a battle-tested Big Ten back with a 200-yd game to his credit.

Top Bottom