Does anyone have a Jamel Harbison update?

LBJ

Reaction score
Let's not turn this into a thread about rumors regarding why he has not dressed recently. We just lost Engel and suddenly need more depth at receiver. Things happen, he has three more years of eligibility after the season to turn it around and develop into what I think could be a pretty good player. So please, let's not focus on potential drama and rumors before our big game tomorrow since taking on Becky is what is important.

Has anybody heard if Harbison has been practicing or is going to dress? I noticed he was not mentioned on the depth chart but that doesn't always mean a whole lot to our coaches. I think we could certainly use him for tomorrow and the rest of the season if he is available.

i saw him swimming in the brick by brick video with the special forces

Played in 6 games, didn't play in the last 2.

Last I heard was the Kill comment about how Harbison wouldn't be dressing, I can't remember if it was the Nebraska or Indiana game. He also said something like "it doesn't matter that much because he hasn't played much anyways". With Engel out, I guess I wouldn't be surprised to see Harbison. A lot can change over the bye week. He more than likely won't be in the mix though.

I'm more curious about Rodrick Williams. He's had injury and attitude issues, but if he's healthy and has been practicing well I'd like to see him backup Cobb.

Last I heard was the Kill comment about how Harbison wouldn't be dressing...

I'm more curious about Rodrick Williams. He's had injury and attitude issues, but if he's healthy and has been practicing well I'd like to see him backup Cobb.

I wonder if Harbison has dressed since those comments by Kill. I don't recall hearing about Williams having attitude issues...

did you see him in those game? I haven't and the game participation logs I don't think are always accurate

I hear you about the game participation logs. My statement was based solely on them.

I wonder if Harbison has dressed since those comments by Kill. I don't recall hearing about Williams having attitude issues...

"attitude" may have been the wrong word. Definitely punctuality issues.

did you see him in those game? I haven't and the game participation logs I don't think are always accurate

I believe it is accurate that JH has played in 6 games. Not a lot, but some. They used him and KJ quite a bit up until jNW when they started working the freshmen (Jones & Woli) in a lot more. Jamal has been suspended since and KJ is now buried on the depth chart.

Last I heard was the Kill comment about how Harbison wouldn't be dressing, I can't remember if it was the Nebraska or Indiana game. He also said something like "it doesn't matter that much because he hasn't played much anyways". With Engel out, I guess I wouldn't be surprised to see Harbison. A lot can change over the bye week. He more than likely won't be in the mix though.

Williams is 100% and listed as the back-up with Kirkwood.

Nov. 28th Jamel had tweeted that he missed his fam, and his dad responded by telling him to transfer and go to a school where he could get some playing time. The only reason I know this is because one of the Gopher Illustrated guys retweeted his dads tweet on Saturday, which caused Jamels dad to delete that tweet. Sorry if I really confused the non twitter users on GH.

Nov. 28th Jamel had tweeted that he missed his fam, and his dad responded by telling him to transfer and go to a school where he could get some playing time. The only reason I know this is because one of the Gopher Illustrated guys retweeted his dads tweet on Saturday, which caused Jamels dad to delete that tweet. Sorry if I really confused the non twitter users on GH.

Yes, that's the way to mold him into an upstanding young man. Encourage him to quit when facing adversity. Brilliant!

Yes, that's the way to mold him into an upstanding young man. Encourage him to quit when facing adversity. Brilliant!
Haha. I thought the same thing. My dad would have said, buck up and earn some playing time.

I could have sworn I saw Jamel dressed on the sidelines on Saturday. He was next to Cobb when Cobb's knee was being treated.

I think we need to remember Jamel was coming off an ACL injury this year. ACL recoveries keep getting better and better, but it's still a serious injury. I'm not sure what the non-football reasons were for him missing time, but hopefully he just has to grow up a little and that's already behind him. Physically, he should be much better this spring and summer going into next year.

Don't judge. Wanting to be close to your family doesn't mean you are/will be a looser/degenerate. College can be difficult time, not everyone goes to the correct place for them the first try. His dad didn't tell him to quit, just encouraged him to do what was right for him. Perhaps staying is the right move for him and the Gophers (especially considering he would likely have to sit out a year), but maybe its not.

Don't judge. Wanting to be close to your family doesn't mean you are/will be a looser/degenerate. College can be difficult time, not everyone goes to the correct place for them the first try. His dad didn't tell him to quit, just encouraged him to do what was right for him. Perhaps staying is the right move for him and the Gophers (especially considering he would likely have to sit out a year), but maybe its not.

I didn't make a single derogatory comment about Jamel. His dad told him to transfer somewhere closer where he would get playing time. That makes it sound like something other than just being homesick. It also doesnt promote accountability for one's actions. Since, after all, Jamel hasn't helped himself get on the field.

Ryan Burns at GI keeps saying "Jamel has some off the field issues he needs to take care." whenever asked what the deal is? You do the math there.

Yes, his Dad is tweeting that he should transfer home & get some playing time.

Harbison was on the travel roster for Michigan St so he made the trip & dressed.

He'll either get his issues together a la Shede, Michael Carter, Cobb et al. & be a story of hard work & perseverance or he'll quit & go home opening up a schollie for someone who wants to be here. Either way it's a win for the program, hopefully Jamel makes it a win for him as well & gets his act together.

I didn't make a single derogatory comment about Jamel. His dad told him to transfer somewhere closer where he would get playing time. That makes it sound like something other than just being homesick. It also doesnt promote accountability for one's actions. Since, after all, Jamel hasn't helped himself get on the field.

I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to play closer to home. I know we'd all like to see a good player from MN transfer back home to be closer to his family. We certainly wouldn't hold it against any local player who said that he chose to play here to be close to his family. I know you weren't ripping on his dad for the homesick remark, I was just reiterating the point.

As far as the PT issue. . .it's tough. I can't really blame a guy for transferring when they aren't getting PT (ala Shortell). I still root for Max Shortell and I hope he does well at his new school. It does put an extra ripple into the equation when you're lack of playing time is due to an off the field issue. However, we have to keep in mind that this is Harbison's dad, he is and should be his biggest fan.

I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to play closer to home. I know we'd all like to see a good player from MN transfer back home to be closer to his family. We certainly wouldn't hold it against any local player who said that he chose to play here to be close to his family. I know you weren't ripping on his dad for the homesick remark, I was just reiterating the point.

As far as the PT issue. . .it's tough. I can't really blame a guy for transferring when they aren't getting PT (ala Shortell). I still root for Max Shortell and I hope he does well at his new school. It does put an extra ripple into the equation when you're lack of playing time is due to an off the field issue. However, we have to keep in mind that this is Harbison's dad, he is and should be his biggest fan.

I'm simply saying that if his dad is encouraging transfer as a way to avoid being accountable for his transgressions, that's a terrible look. Rather than face his issues and become a better person, lets leave for a school that will allow him to sweep the issues from MN under the rug and give immediate playing.

Harbison's situation is a little different than Shortell's as Jamel's lack of playing time is self inflicted.

However, him traveling with the team, points that he may be headed in the right direction but this late in the season he's already missed too much time to really contribute.

I don't think Harbison's situation can be compared to Shortell's. Shortell had younger guys who were going to replace him for the rest of his career because of talent. Harbison can't get on the field with probably the worst receiving corp in the Big Ten because of off field issues. The situation is nothing but his fault, and if I were his father (though I'm well aware that I am not), I'd tell him to figure it out, not quit when he has the chance to develop into an impact player on a Big Ten contender.

If he's homesick, I sympathize, but I highly doubt that he is after sticking with the program for two years.

Shortell had younger guys who were going to replace him for the rest of his career because of talent.

False. It was a good move by Max to go to another program, because he has the mobility of a potted plant. Not the type of QB that would be used in this offense.

Eligibility-wise, he is a freshman. I don't remember many Gopher receivers making huge impact freshman years. I think he could still be a real solid contributor in his career. I mean, McKnight had only 1 catch his Fr year, and Engel hadn't done much until Barker left. So I hope he sticks it out (nothing more than rumors at this point suggesting he wouldn't) and has huge years as an upper classmen like past receivers.

He pulled the handle but the Clark bar wouldn't come out!!!!!

False. It was a good move by Max to go to another program, because he has the mobility of a potted plant. Not the type of QB that would be used in this offense.

Actually it's not false. Nelson had overtaken Shortell on the depth chart midway through last year.

I have met him twice, very very briefly, but he seems like a great person. That does not mean he has accepted everything that goes with being a B1G football player. A lot of young men take a while to accept responsibility and realize it is up to them to achieve anything.
In my case it took about 6 weeks in the Army, then it was clear.
He is in control of his success, hopefully he knows it.

Actually it's not false. Nelson had overtaken Shortell on the depth chart midway through last year.

Max injured his hand before the 2nd quarter in the NW game; the game before Nelson was installed as the starter vs. wiskey. Q came in and finished the NW game after missing the previous two weeks with knee and ankle injuries (and didn't throw a single pass). The staff wanted Q playing WR so he didn't have to cut as much as he would have at QB, and Max was out with his hand injury, so Nelson started @ wiskey. Since they burned his RS, there was no reason not to start him the rest of the way.

The game participation list for both Wisconsin and Michigan St list him as playing and he was out there on special teams for MSU.

Top Bottom