Does anyone even listen to Coach Kill?

Gophs blitzed some in the second half to no avail because Iowa was max protecting and running 3 man routes. We played more man than we've seen in a while. One scramble in particular allowed a first down b/c all are db's and Hill were chasing guys like they should in man and had no idea Ruddock was on the run.

Yeah, saw that, though a Back or two seemed pretty befuddled on that play. Would have been highly comical except for the fact that the game was televised to a big chunk of the nation and we paid to watch it from the stands. Also noticed that they didn't have much in the way of alternatives ready when their 3-4 man schemes were putting no pressure at all on the QB. That started in the First Half. You noticed that too right?

If Iowa's Offensive Line didn't have much trouble with the D-Line do you think anybody else in the B1G will? No threat to complete a Pass on Offense and no threat to get to a QB on Defense. That's a pretty hopeless picture.

THWU. I was never a Brewster kool-aid drinker and was ready to get rid of him very quickly yet support Kill. In fact I was the first one on this board who suggested Brewster be replaced by Kill when NI beat the gophers because I saw a coach who could build a program and not a salesman. I still believe Kill is the right man for the job and will build this team into one that can compete with the top 3-4 teams in the B1G and go to better bowl games regardless of the loss to Iowa. You can still see the holes in the roster and that will take more time to fill out. O line and DB are there but need to mature and reciever remains to be filled. Hopefully when we begin to compete and win a few more games the better recruits will start showing up and we can continue to build. I have confidence Kill will get this done.

Kill can't build the program with blind devotion to the unimaginative Limegrover

Kill's history is beating teams of equal and lesser strength, not necessarily upsetting clearly better teams. Iowa is not a good team. Iowa clubbed Kill's team in his third year as coach. He deserves all the heat he is getting. Brace yourselves, he will be getting a lot more heat by the end of the season.

Kill's history is beating teams of equal and lesser strength, not necessarily upsetting clearly better teams. Iowa is not a good team. Iowa clubbed Kill's team in his third year as coach. He deserves all the heat he is getting. Brace yourselves, he will be getting a lot more heat by the end of the season.

And that's going to be hard for Coach Kill to handle.

Give me Break

He's done it everywhere else he has been. I see no reason he can't do it here.

When Maturi unceremoniously fired the, by that time, mailing-it-in-mega-ego-prick Mason, I cheered louder than anyone, until I realized that Maturi would be making the replacement hire. The hiring of Tim Brewster will go down as the biggest f-up in this storied institutions athletic history (followed closely by Gangellhoff-Gate). But for such a terrible hire, we'd have a team today that could compete at home against and average-at-best Iowa team.

Anyone with a brain was highly concerned about the Brewster hire. He was not the "take us to the next level" coach we all were clamoring for and expected to get after Mason was fired. Sure we loved the bravado and new-found Gopher Pride, but in hindsight that was almost all about the new stadium and not the new coach. It was a rough first year, and the second year was actually pretty decent. This elevated our expectations for Brew's third season.

2009 started out great, we beat Syracuse, we beat Air Force (either opponent would have been the marquee team of a Kill non-con schedule) and we were tied with a top 10 Cal team in the 4th Quarter. Think about that, a top 10 team in Non-con game and we are TIED in the 4th quarter. Sure we lost, but those expectations we had were justified, even more so when we bounced back and beat Northwestern. We then lose by 3 to Becky Badger and we all started saying "here we go again, this guy isn't going to get us to the next level".

Think about that Brewster's third season. Through 4 games we were 2-2. Had lost to a top ten Cal team in a competitive game and lost to a top 20 Wisconsin team by 3 and already had a B1G win. Brewster through 4 games in yr 3 > than Kill yr 3 4 games, both in results and quality of product. How can ANYONE look at this team and think they are better than what Brewster had in year 3?

Brewster then beat Purdue, a shockingly nice follow up to the Wisc loss. We were sitting 3-2 and 2-1 in the B1G. Where are we sitting today? After getting embarrassed by PSU and OSU we beat a solid MSU team. Through 6 B1G games we were .500. Any chance in hell Kill can pull that off this year?

Brewster got on the hot seat based on the way he finished his 3rd year. We blow a game to Illinois get blanked by Iowa and lose to lowly SDSU. We then lose the bowl game.

3 years post Mason we were in the EXACT same spot we were when we fired him. I, along with many others said it was clear Brewster is not the guy to take us to the next level, get rid of him NOW. Maturi of course can't pull the trigger, and waits until the middle of the next year, ensuring if not just another lost season, but a complete backtrack to the verge of not competing at a mid-B1G-level anymore.

Now Kill is saying everything we want to hear from a coach who is rebuilding a program from the bottom up. He's going to make us good again, you just wait and see. This is unbelievably self-serving and convenient for a guy that, let's face it, is never going to get a BCS job the rest of his career. This is his last stop in the big leagues. If he gets canned this year or next, he's going down a level (or two) or he's out of coaching.

Isn't it funny, we went from wanting a coach to get us to the next level, to the just happy we found a guy to be our coach in about 3 years. I am still living in the past, I want a coach to take us to the next level from where Mason was at. Brewster gave us hope and couldn't produce. Kill doesn't even want to think about the next level (that I would be remiss to point out that for he and his over-achiever small school assistants, this IS the next level)

It's inexcusable to me that Kill can't even give us what a horrid coach like Brewster could give us. I know its hindsight and I can't produce the emails today, but I wanted Charlie Strong after 2009. It was clear to me then, as it is now, the only way you get the Gophs to the next level from where Mason had us was to get a guy with more energy than mason had, and who came from a program that won- because he'd know what Winning looked like at the big time level (e.g. Strong at Florida).

I still have the expectation that we can be better than Mason was, and so far, Kill has shown through his coaching but also by admission, that his goal (in the future 3-4 years) is to be as good as we were with Mason. That right there is not good enough and if we don't win more than 2 games in the B1G this year or at least 3 next he needs to be fired.

ramble rant done, time to resume breaking bad catch-up marathon!

Hill was chasing guys ...and had no idea Ruddock was on the run.

I was waiting for somebody to bring this up.

I had never seen this in my life before. Ever.

Ruddock ran past Hill--as Hill was jogging downfield in the same direction!

Never. In. My. Life.

I've seen too many things in Gopher football that are once-in-a-lifetime events.

The only thing I've not seen is a Rose Bowl, come to think about it.

So how many years has it been that the Gophers have been young? 40 years?

I asked the same question. Would love to know the answer.

A TERRIBLE Kansas team went in to Lubbock and put up 390 yards rushing on Texas Tech (6.8 yards per carry!), so the offense ran against Texas Tech might have only been effective against Texas Tech. That Texas Tech team also gave up 50+ in 4 games and the Gophers played them without their coach who left to take another job. The Gophers complete just 8(!) passes in the bowl game against Texas Tech and ran the ball 54 times (4.1 yards per carry).

I don't think anyone can say definitively that the offense in the bowl game would only work against Texas Tech (or similar teams terrible against the run), but the signs certainly point to it.

We are not playing in the MAC or some other second/third tier conference. That is why.

Todd Graham (ASU) was a high school coach until 2001. It frustrates me that people think lower level (non BCS) football is a different world in coaching.

Wait...you're right, it's generally MUCH HARDER because you have to make more out of less. That's why I feel he's perfect for this job, we don't have much compared to others and the B1G.

When Maturi unceremoniously fired the, by that time, mailing-it-in-mega-ego-prick Mason, I cheered louder than anyone, until I realized that Maturi would be making the replacement hire. The hiring of Tim Brewster will go down as the biggest f-up in this storied institutions athletic history (followed closely by Gangellhoff-Gate). But for such a terrible hire, we'd have a team today that could compete at home against and average-at-best Iowa team.

Anyone with a brain was highly concerned about the Brewster hire. He was not the "take us to the next level" coach we all were clamoring for and expected to get after Mason was fired. Sure we loved the bravado and new-found Gopher Pride, but in hindsight that was almost all about the new stadium and not the new coach. It was a rough first year, and the second year was actually pretty decent. This elevated our expectations for Brew's third season.

2009 started out great, we beat Syracuse, we beat Air Force (either opponent would have been the marquee team of a Kill non-con schedule) and we were tied with a top 10 Cal team in the 4th Quarter. Think about that, a top 10 team in Non-con game and we are TIED in the 4th quarter. Sure we lost, but those expectations we had were justified, even more so when we bounced back and beat Northwestern. We then lose by 3 to Becky Badger and we all started saying "here we go again, this guy isn't going to get us to the next level".

Think about that Brewster's third season. Through 4 games we were 2-2. Had lost to a top ten Cal team in a competitive game and lost to a top 20 Wisconsin team by 3 and already had a B1G win. Brewster through 4 games in yr 3 > than Kill yr 3 4 games, both in results and quality of product. How can ANYONE look at this team and think they are better than what Brewster had in year 3?

Brewster then beat Purdue, a shockingly nice follow up to the Wisc loss. We were sitting 3-2 and 2-1 in the B1G. Where are we sitting today? After getting embarrassed by PSU and OSU we beat a solid MSU team. Through 6 B1G games we were .500. Any chance in hell Kill can pull that off this year?

Brewster got on the hot seat based on the way he finished his 3rd year. We blow a game to Illinois get blanked by Iowa and lose to lowly SDSU. We then lose the bowl game.

3 years post Mason we were in the EXACT same spot we were when we fired him. I, along with many others said it was clear Brewster is not the guy to take us to the next level, get rid of him NOW. Maturi of course can't pull the trigger, and waits until the middle of the next year, ensuring if not just another lost season, but a complete backtrack to the verge of not competing at a mid-B1G-level anymore.

Now Kill is saying everything we want to hear from a coach who is rebuilding a program from the bottom up. He's going to make us good again, you just wait and see. This is unbelievably self-serving and convenient for a guy that, let's face it, is never going to get a BCS job the rest of his career. This is his last stop in the big leagues. If he gets canned this year or next, he's going down a level (or two) or he's out of coaching.

Isn't it funny, we went from wanting a coach to get us to the next level, to the just happy we found a guy to be our coach in about 3 years. I am still living in the past, I want a coach to take us to the next level from where Mason was at. Brewster gave us hope and couldn't produce. Kill doesn't even want to think about the next level (that I would be remiss to point out that for he and his over-achiever small school assistants, this IS the next level)

It's inexcusable to me that Kill can't even give us what a horrid coach like Brewster could give us. I know its hindsight and I can't produce the emails today, but I wanted Charlie Strong after 2009. It was clear to me then, as it is now, the only way you get the Gophs to the next level from where Mason had us was to get a guy with more energy than mason had, and who came from a program that won- because he'd know what Winning looked like at the big time level (e.g. Strong at Florida).

I still have the expectation that we can be better than Mason was, and so far, Kill has shown through his coaching but also by admission, that his goal (in the future 3-4 years) is to be as good as we were with Mason. That right there is not good enough and if we don't win more than 2 games in the B1G this year or at least 3 next he needs to be fired.

ramble rant done, time to resume breaking bad catch-up marathon!

Tremendous rant that hits all the points! Well done sir!

I thought Strong would have been the better hire after Mason as well. I also liked Pelini, but he would have been in orbit by now. I thought Brewster was a stand-up guy (at least in public), but he just wasn't the guy. Period.

Bottom line, this is going to take time. It's going to take both recruiting and coaching. It's a "both/and" not an "either/or." You don't win in big-time college football with a "Little Engine that Could" mentality.

I like Kill. I tire of the "aw shucks" stuff, but that's who he is. Limegrover needs to pick up a post-1960 book on offensive strategy.

running in the big ten versus passing leagues.

The big ten is known as a physical league that likes smash mouth football, second to maybe only the SEC. The big 12 and the Pac 12 are known as passing leagues with lots of spread offense. A few teams change like Northwestern, Ohio St., and Michigan using more spread, but still stacking leagues against each other the big ten is a running balanced league. So yes it could be much easier to play physical and run against these teams and have little success in the big ten. Just like running against non conference opponents who are 20 lbs lighter per man is also easier. Over the years we have needed a qb who can get running yards to help these rushing numbers. We aren't Wisconsin and I just don't know why? It is fustrating.

A TERRIBLE Kansas team went in to Lubbock and put up 390 yards rushing on Texas Tech (6.8 yards per carry!), so the offense ran against Texas Tech might have only been effective against Texas Tech. That Texas Tech team also gave up 50+ in 4 games and the Gophers played them without their coach who left to take another job. The Gophers complete just 8(!) passes in the bowl game against Texas Tech and ran the ball 54 times (4.1 yards per carry).

I don't think anyone can say definitively that the offense in the bowl game would only work against Texas Tech (or similar teams terrible against the run), but the signs certainly point to it.

Top Bottom