Does anyone even listen to Coach Kill?

Getting older is not always getting better.

I see no reason to assume the current o-line will get better with age.

I do think some of our younger players on defense will get better.

It's a new game. It's not like the old days when your seniors were your best players.

Kids these days take a big leap with one full season. After 10-15 starts you pretty much know what you have. There's usually not a huge amount of improvement after the 15th start.

Baloney Aesop!

The team deserves criticism for yesterday's performance. It was embarrassing and needs to get better. But let's remember where this team has come from:

2011: 3-9. Although we were technically 3-9, that squad could have easily been 0-12 or 1-11. It took a last second pass-breakup to beat Miami (OH) at home. The Iowa game had some lucky bounces for us and we ended up winning despite getting gashed on the ground. We beat Illinois at home because they had no interest in playing.

2012: 6-6. Somehow we scounged up 6 wins. We really had no close losses other than maybe NW. We were a couple plays away from losing to bad UNLV and Western Michigan teams. Easily could have been a 4 win season.

2013: 4-1. Most predicted 6-7 wins. I think we still get to 6 with a much tougher schedule BT schedule than 2012, and more convincing non-conference wins.

The point being, when Kill inherited this team, we were no better than the Dakotas. We were an absolute train wreck. Be disappointed and frustrated about the loss, but please, quit discussing the state of the program after each game. The team is better than last year, and 10x better than it was when Kill got here.

One would think that after 60 years of not being great that our fans would have some realistic and rational expectations. Guess not.

Every week since the day the man was hired he has told us the truth. The truth being exactly what he said coming to pass and therefor proving it true.

When he got here he said the cupboard was bare. The kids didn't go to class, had no discipline, were slow, weak & limited in talent.

He said he would need 3 full recruiting classes to make a full impact.

Before every game for the last 3 years he has told us what his goals were, what the basic game plan was and what he thought of the opposition. Of course he uses some general superlatives to describe lessor opponents, but he doesn't (IMO) seem to over due it like some coaches.

Leading into this season he reminded us we are young. That for us to win we must execute, block, not make mistakes and tackle. Even though so many posters on this board seem to want to argue with Coach about how young we are (not as young as last year but still really young), how long this will take to turn around and so on. But each and every time, what Coach Kill says has come to pass.

So let me give you all some advice. Next week when Coach Kill says that MI is good. That if we can't contain their QB we will have trouble staying with them. That MI has some young defenders but they are very talented and we need to take advantage of the opportunities when they present themselves and we can't afford mental mistakes, missed blocks or dropped passes. That if we play our best game of the year, and do everything right, we MIGHT have a chance at a victory. But even if we do everything right, we still might get outplayed.

When Coach Kill says all that to us, please take heed. He isn't lying. He isn't down playing our position. He is telling you the truth.

I am all about being a fan. I love to cheer and I scream at my TV and I hate Iowa and Wisconsin (born in one and grade school in the other) and first hand knowledge of just how much those states suck. But I am also a reasonable and try to be based in reality...so if we don't win next week I am not likely to start demanding we start Streveler, or wondering why our veteran team can't block kids 2 and 3 years older than them, or why our Sophomore QB with 8 starts isn't in line for the Heisman and so on.

Dudes...try and find some balance. We have been banging our heads on this wall my whole life (44 years) and then some. I dream of going to the Rose Bowl ( or even the Capital One Bowl at this point) as much as all of you. I just choose not to act like ridiculous morons when the projected, the expected and the recurring happen exactly as our Coach said they would.

Now, if 2 years from now we are having these same issues...we will all be calling for Coach Kills head. Until then, know that he told each and every one of you that this isn't going to be like his last two stops. He needs one more year of recruiting to turn this around and make the big gains. Since he is 100% to date on telling me the truth, I am going to wait it out. If for no other reason than there is not a single person in the world who I think is better than Coach Kill that would take his job.

Could not agree more. Great Post.

I'm looking at one glaring thing. Despite the fact that I'm delighted by the continuity and overall health of the O-Line so far this year, it's still a group that boasts

- not one Senior on the two deeps
- two. Jrs, two SO, and one Freshman
- one of those two. Jrs was a walk-on

Yes, you can argue that some of those guys have a fair share of games under their belt but at the end of the day, that's just too much youth up front, and it showed yesterday. You can overcome that if you have elite talent at a few skill positions but right now, they don't.

Look at Iowa. Last year they lost 3 (I think?) offensive linemen to injury in mid season, trotted out a line that looked a lot like the Gophers now, and their season went in the tank.

This team will improve as the experience and talent of the o-Line improves. Next year it should be a very formidable line, and only get better after that.

I'm not overly concerned. They're on the right track.

I'd rather see them go the Kansas State route and rely on a bunch of JUCO transfers. That's basically how Snyder built that team into a national contender, this season notwithstanding.

I have a sense that Iowa will do very well in the BIG this season. They sure didn't look like some 4-8 team.

+1. One thing I don't get is this general opinion here that Minnesota lost to "an average/bad Iowa team."

I predict Iowa will win at least 2 more Legends Division games this year, maybe more. They have a good front 7 defensively and their offense can do more than just try to jam down your throat. I think their pass defense may get burned some, something that Nelson could NOT do yesterday.

There was a lot that was not fun to watch yesterday, but the notion that Iowa is a bad team is false.

I think Iowa is the official dark horse in the Big Ten. With that defense they can beat anyone. The next four games for them are
MSU, OSU, NW and WI.

They lost to NIU who might go 13-0 and back to a BCS bowl.

I find it amusing that some posters continue to take everything Coach Kill says at face value without stopping to ask: Why does everything he says also correspond to what is in his own best interest? It's in every coaches best interest when they take over a program to try to lower expectations as far as possible, it's also in every coaches best interest to give a vague timeline for "success" which also is not defined by the coach. I certainly don't blame Jerry Kill for going this route, but fans certainly have a right to expect a coach to have a team ready to compete with that Iowa squad in his 3rd year. There's a major difference between expecting to be in the Rose Bowl by year 3 and expecting to see a team that could conceivably go .500 in the conference if they were able to spring an upset. What concerns me the most about the 4-13 B1G record in the Jerry Kill era is that I struggle to think of even one of those 13 games where the Gophers were even competitive (you could argue the Northwestern game last season if you are generous) and certainly never had a legitimate shot to win any of those games.

A few weeks ago Missouri State scored a touchdown to pull within 7 points of Iowa in Iowa City with 14:15 left in the 4th quarter. A week after that a bad Iowa State team came back late to make it a game against Iowa. The only games where Iowa has looked good were against Western Michigan...and Minnesota. MAYBE Iowa is just hitting their stride, but I remember arguing with a few posters last year who tried to make this same point about Iowa being "good" when the Gophers lost a game under similar circumstances in Iowa City.

Lets see where the rest of the season goes. Contrary to the belief of some, we don't play in a "tough conference" compared to what the Big Ten has been years ago. Michigan won by the skin of their teeth against Akron and UConn, Nebraska is a faded power from years gone by, Penn State is dealing with sanctions and lost to UCF at home. The B1G has one dominant team in Ohio State and I am not sure I like the Buckeyes against A&M or Georgia, much less Alabama.

One more point about the Kill inherited a bare cupboard. I went back and looked at the projected starters for week 1 of 2009 (Brewster's 3rd year) and then looked at the projected starters for week 1 of 2013 (Kill's 3rd year)

Brewster inherited from previous regime: Weber, Decker, Tow-Arnett, Stommes, Alford, Wynn, Jacobs, Small, Brown, Campbell, Triplett, Sherels

A total of 12/22 starters.

Kill inherited from the previous regime: Olson/Lenkiewicz(counts as one), Epping, Bak, Campion, Kirkwood, Henry, *Engel, Hageman, Botticelli, Hill, Manuel, Vereen

*Engel gets an asterisk because the timeline of his transfer makes it tough to tell who should get "credit" for a walk on who entered school when he did. 12/22 starters again.

Very similar numbers with Brewster being left more offensive talent and Kill being left more defensive talent.

The '09 Gophers went 6-7 with a bowl game loss to Iowa State (the Gray fumble game). Buyout that home game against an at the time 7th ranked Cal and the record improves to 7-6. That year the Gophers lost to Becky Badger 31-28 and to Illinois 35-32. That Gophers team played 3 teams that would finish the season inside the AP top 10 and the Badgers who finished 16th. The B1G teams Minnesota beat that year finished 5-3, 4-4, 4-4 in B1G conference play (Northwestern, Purdue, Michigan State) and I remember that things started to really get bad for Brewster when he lost to Illinois at home late that year (finished 2-6 in the conference).

Lets see where this season ends up.

Perception is a crazy thing. Before last years Iowa game we were all talking about how mediocre Iowa looked & after they trashed us people were saying Iowa was a good team that would make some noise in the Big Ten... they went on to 4-8...

This year before yesterdays game people were talking about how mediocre & below average Iowa is & now that they've handled us pretty easily people are saying they're a good team that should win some Big Ten games...

Perception is a crazy thing...

Perception is a crazy thing. Before last years Iowa game we were all talking about how mediocre Iowa looked & after they trashed us people were saying Iowa was a good team that would make some noise in the Big Ten... they went on to 4-8...

This year before yesterdays game people were talking about how mediocre & below average Iowa is & now that they've handled us pretty easily people are saying they're a good team that should win some Big Ten games...

Yeah it has been interesting to see how Iowa has suddenly transformed into a factor in the Big Ten based on what they did to us, in the minds of a lot of posters here. They look like a 2-3 conference win team and a lower level bowl squad which is where they were coming into the game and where we should be as well frankly.

Also, I think it may be safe to say that San Jose State can be counted in the creampuff category yet again as they now sit at 1-3 with three double digit loses.

I agree about having patience and that things don't happen quickly when rebuilding a program, but Saturday was a total disappointment. I don't think it was unreasonable to expect a competitive game. That was not competitive in any way. There is a lot of talk about the oline but what about the dline? I was amazed Iowa passed as much as they did. They could have ran it every play. We can sit here and talk ages, experience and anything else to make ourselves feel better, but we were outclassed in a winnable game. I like coach Kill and think he can be the guy who turns this thing around but the gophers are not as close as I thought they were. It comes down to the lines and one more recruiting class is not going to help them and I'm not sure how much improvement we should expect out of a bunch of sophomores and juniors who have started plenty of games.

I am not saying Iowa is a great team, but they do have a great front seven on defense and good offensive line. Last year I believe they beat MSU at MSU the weak after beating us. Then they lost 3 guys on their oline and lost Weisman. They also had a horrible qb last year. I wouldn't be surprised if they win 5 big ten games this year.

I am just as disappointed with Saturday's game as most people here, and I now realize that this is going to be a slower rebuild than I thought. Somehow, either through JUCO or with a surprise recruit or two we need to add a couple of huge defensive tackles. To me that is the most glaring weakness right now with this team even with the unproductive passing game which I expect to get better during this season.

Unrealistic fans of this team are any that expect a Big Ten Championship contender or a BCS bowl game. Clearly that is not realistic in year three by any stretch of the imagination.

However it is not unrealistic for fans of this program to expect their team to be able to compete at home with an at best middle of the pack Big Ten team on homecoming.

One thing that is very clear is people's opinions about the team are directly tied to their feelings about the head coach. Those of us that are not sold on Kill being the guy have a lot of concerns about what we see on the field. Those that are all in on Kill being the savior come up with excuse after excuse as to why we can't win now but point to subtle signs of progress as reasons for why we are moving the right direction.
We go out and lose to Michigan on the road next weekend it will be disappointing as a fan but not unexpected. Losing at home to an Iowa team we should be able to compete with is bad any way you slice it. Understand I am not calling for Kill's head, he will and should get till the end of the 2014 season to prove he is the guy, I'm just firmly in the class that still isn't sold he is going to get it done, which sucks because more than anything I want to see this program at least get back to Mason levels and then finally take that next step.

The "Senior Members" on this board who support Kill are the same Brewster "Kool-Aid" drinkers who religiously defended Brewster through his first 3 years but now they say Kill inherited a pathetic program and that we shouldn't expect success for 4-5 years. I chuckle!!

The "Senior Members" on this board who support Kill are the same Brewster "Kool-Aid" drinkers who religiously defended Brewster through his first 3 years but now they say Kill inherited a pathetic program and that we shouldn't expect success for 4-5 years. I chuckle!!

Coming the guy who picked San Jose State to win by 17 and quotes John Feinstein on Coach Kill yeah, your observation seems equally thoughtful.

Coming the guy who picked San Jose State to win by 17 and quotes John Feinstein on Coach Kill yeah, your observation seems equally thoughtful.

I was very pleased we beat San Jose St. I thought they were good - after watching them the last two games, I was way off. What's wrong with John Feinstein? I was glad Gopher football was getting national attention. My point is most "Senior Members" on this forum see what they want to see. Just like parents watching their own kids playing sports thinking their kids are better than they really are. Emotion will do that to you.

One would think that after 60 years of not being great that our fans would have some realistic and rational expectations. Guess not.

Now, if 2 years from now we are having these same issues...we will all be calling for Coach Kills head. Until then, know that he told each and every one of you that this isn't going to be like his last two stops. He needs one more year of recruiting to turn this around and make the big gains. Since he is 100% to date on telling me the truth, I am going to wait it out. If for no other reason than there is not a single person in the world who I think is better than Coach Kill that would take his job.

Many good, solid points. Great post.

It's laughable how many unrealistic posts are on this site. I think there's some video game mentality, too. Chuck the plan, ditch the system, have our 300-pound tackle play QB and throw the bomb if we're having trouble running. Ooops. Hit reset...

Iowa was clearly the better team, but a play here or there could have turned the tide.

I also don't believe the team came out flat. It seemed to me there were some guys flying around, trying to make plays. I think the young team played a little tight, and with all the expectations, played a bit tentatively. Two weeks ago Coach Kill asked them if they were giving their best at halftime and they came out with more intensity. This week he made some statement about letting it go, like they were thinking too much. It was a great learning experience to play in a game like that and the lessons learned will pay dividends down the road.

Nelson played perhaps his worst game. The coaches won't toss him under the bus and he'll make some great plays this season, I think.

I have lots of reason to hope for a big road upset this week, but won't jump ship if we get clobbered. Sounds like there are plenty of others who feel the same way.

I was very pleased we beat San Jose St. I thought they were good - after watching them the last two games, I was way off. What's wrong with John Feinstein? I was glad Gopher football was getting national attention. My point is most "Senior Members" on this forum see what they want to see. Just like parents watching their own kids playing sports thinking their kids are better than they really are. Emotion will do that to you.

Not sure if this is effective comic relief or a feeble attempt at serious discussion. Either way, the notion that you missed the mark on sjsu and now lecture some of us regarding emotion is priceless.

"I am feeling overwhelmed at the very strong chance of winning no more than 1 game in the Big Ten this year and then next year the possibility of another coaching change in November. After yesterday.."

Yeah, no emotion there..:rolleyes:

THWU. I was never a Brewster kool-aid drinker and was ready to get rid of him very quickly yet support Kill. In fact I was the first one on this board who suggested Brewster be replaced by Kill when NI beat the gophers because I saw a coach who could build a program and not a salesman. I still believe Kill is the right man for the job and will build this team into one that can compete with the top 3-4 teams in the B1G and go to better bowl games regardless of the loss to Iowa. You can still see the holes in the roster and that will take more time to fill out. O line and DB are there but need to mature and reciever remains to be filled. Hopefully when we begin to compete and win a few more games the better recruits will start showing up and we can continue to build. I have confidence Kill will get this done.

These comments got me thinking. responses

Getting older is not always getting better. maybe

I see no reason to assume the current o-line will get better with age.I tend to think that they will, at least a little better

I do think some of our younger players on defense will get better.I hope so

It's a new game. It's not like the old days when your seniors were your best players.maybe

Kids these days take a big leap with one full season. After 10-15 starts you pretty much know what you have. There's usually not a huge amount of improvement after the 15th start.
this is the one that got me thinking. I took a football coaching class at the U of South Carolina years ago, taught by the coaches. In one class the special teams coach, Tom Kurucz, related a story about a punt that Navy blocked in 1984 and kept the Gamecocks from an 11-0 year. A guy used incredibly poor technique on a play and allowed a Navy player to block the punt. He said that he chewed out the player and the player responded, "I'm just a freshmen." Kurucz went crazy, telling the class, "what difference does that make!!! You have been coached the proper way to do it, do it! It doesn't matter your year". In the same vein I get what Kill says about how young we are (this is when I am listening and not thinking emotionally, like I do during games). The part that frustrates me during games is when I see a QB miss an open receiver, or an open receiver dropping a pass. I don't care what year they are, make the throw and catch the ball! If they don't do it now, will aging a year cause them to then make the play?

These comments got me thinking. responses

this is the one that got me thinking. I took a football coaching class at the U of South Carolina years ago, taught by the coaches. In one class the special teams coach, Tom Kurucz, related a story about a punt that Navy blocked in 1984 and kept the Gamecocks from an 11-0 year. A guy used incredibly poor technique on a play and allowed a Navy player to block the punt. He said that he chewed out the player and the player responded, "I'm just a freshmen." Kurucz went crazy, telling the class, "what difference does that make!!! You have been coached the proper way to do it, do it! It doesn't matter your year". In the same vein I get what Kill says about how young we are (this is when I am listening and not thinking emotionally, like I do during games). The part that frustrates me during games is when I see a QB miss an open receiver, or an open receiver dropping a pass. I don't care what year they are, make the throw and catch the ball! If they don't do it now, will aging a year cause them to then make the play?

This is the same thing that drives my dad nuts when guys like Carlos Gomez a couple years ago or Aaron Hicks this year would make terrible base running decisions or miss cut off men or whatever. They've been playing the game for 15 years. It's not like they just started playing last year. Yes football is different than baseball since the techniques change more than they do in baseball. But it's not like starting from scratch. If an O-lineman can't figure out after 2-3 years who to block will they really figure it out in another year?

I really like Kill. I like the way he's trying to build this program. I want Kill to succeed. And yes, I knew the Gophers were not going to win the Rose Bowl this year going in. But that doesn't mean you can't watch the game and see what appear to be inadequacies. There were many questionable decisions the coaching staff made:

*Nelson at <100% starting.
*Nelson ineffective staying in the game, especially when he looked scared to run.
*Running seemingly every first down until the fourth quarter, even though there were 8 or more guys in the box most of the time.
*Running seemingly every second down until the third quarter, even though there were 8 or more guys in the box most of the time.
*Not bringing safeties up on first down (especially on the left side).
*Goal line defense at the Iowa 40 (or whatever yardline it was)???

Also, was it just me, or did the O-line look like they weren't even sure who to block? Maybe that was due to how Iowa stacked the line, but times it looked like they weren't even sure what to do.

The stuff above isn't video game stuff. Playing goalline defense at the Iowa 40 (or whatever yardline it was) is video game stuff.

Maybe they were absolutely right in every decision. Maybe Leidner would have played even worse. Maybe if they had passed more on first down they would have been in a worse hole (possible as inaccurate as Nelson was). Maybe if they had played a traditional defense instead of goalline they would have still given up a TD. We'll never know. But from the outside looking in there were a lot of questions and I hope that Kill is asking some of those questions in light of trying to continuously improve himself and his staff.

You gotta throw-in:

- staying with a 4-Man rush, sometimes 3-Man, even though they were getting little or no pressure on Rudock.
- insisting that the D-Backs keep looking at their receivers and try and strip the ball away after it gets to them, rather than ever turn and glance for the ball. A number of times the D-Back nearly got hit by the throw. They got away with it through out the Non-Conference games but it burned them on Saturday. Understand the logic and the D-Backs have been doing a good job staying close. Just wish they'd take a glance and try for the ball if they can. Also hope the Staff has a back-up plan of/when the Officials start throwing more flags for interference.

I think Iowa is the official dark horse in the Big Ten. With that defense they can beat anyone. The next four games for them are
MSU, OSU, NW and WI.

They lost to NIU who might go 13-0 and back to a BCS bowl.

The same Northern Illinois teams whose juniors and seniors were recruited by Jerry Kill. We'll beat Iowa someday, damn it!!! :D

The same Northern Illinois teams whose juniors and seniors were recruited by Jerry Kill. We'll beat Iowa someday, damn it!!! :D

We did, twice, with Brewster's players, just without Brewster.

"Does anyone even listen to Coach Kill? "

Experts don't have to listen to anyone.

You gotta throw-in:

- staying with a 4-Man rush, sometimes 3-Man, even though they were getting little or no pressure on Rudock.
- insisting that the D-Backs keep looking at their receivers and try and strip the ball away after it gets to them, rather than ever turn and glance for the ball. A number of times the D-Back nearly got hit by the throw. They got away with it through out the Non-Conference games but it burned them on Saturday. Understand the logic and the D-Backs have been doing a good job staying close. Just wish they'd take a glance and try for the ball if they can. Also hope the Staff has a back-up plan of/when the Officials start throwing more flags for interference.

Gophs blitzed some in the second half to no avail because Iowa was max protecting and running 3 man routes. We played more man than we've seen in a while. One scramble in particular allowed a first down b/c all are db's and Hill were chasing guys like they should in man and had no idea Ruddock was on the run.

Every week since the day the man was hired he has told us the truth. The truth being exactly what he said coming to pass and therefor proving it true.

When he got here he said the cupboard was bare. The kids didn't go to class, had no discipline, were slow, weak & limited in talent.

He said he would need 3 full recruiting classes to make a full impact.

Before every game for the last 3 years he has told us what his goals were, what the basic game plan was and what he thought of the opposition. Of course he uses some general superlatives to describe lessor opponents, but he doesn't (IMO) seem to over due it like some coaches.

Leading into this season he reminded us we are young. That for us to win we must execute, block, not make mistakes and tackle. Even though so many posters on this board seem to want to argue with Coach about how young we are (not as young as last year but still really young), how long this will take to turn around and so on. But each and every time, what Coach Kill says has come to pass.

So let me give you all some advice. Next week when Coach Kill says that MI is good. That if we can't contain their QB we will have trouble staying with them. That MI has some young defenders but they are very talented and we need to take advantage of the opportunities when they present themselves and we can't afford mental mistakes, missed blocks or dropped passes. That if we play our best game of the year, and do everything right, we MIGHT have a chance at a victory. But even if we do everything right, we still might get outplayed.

When Coach Kill says all that to us, please take heed. He isn't lying. He isn't down playing our position. He is telling you the truth.

I am all about being a fan. I love to cheer and I scream at my TV and I hate Iowa and Wisconsin (born in one and grade school in the other) and first hand knowledge of just how much those states suck. But I am also a reasonable and try to be based in reality...so if we don't win next week I am not likely to start demanding we start Streveler, or wondering why our veteran team can't block kids 2 and 3 years older than them, or why our Sophomore QB with 8 starts isn't in line for the Heisman and so on.

Dudes...try and find some balance. We have been banging our heads on this wall my whole life (44 years) and then some. I dream of going to the Rose Bowl ( or even the Capital One Bowl at this point) as much as all of you. I just choose not to act like ridiculous morons when the projected, the expected and the recurring happen exactly as our Coach said they would.

I agree that the program was in terrible disarray, but it's not like there weren't some players around. Not much depth, but some decent guys at the skilled positions. That said, the trend was clearly headed in the wrong direction.

I'm with Kill all the way. Unless the bottom completely falls out (and I highly doubt that it will), he should get an entire recruiting cycle (5 years). I hope he shows a little more flexibility on offense as the talent level (hopefully increases). Our team speed/strength is better than its been for a long time, but we still need to get faster and stronger. He's got to land some big-time recruits.

PS--I had hopes for Brewster, but it became obvious fairly early that he wasn't cut out for head coaching with the constant shuffling of assistants and the odd sideline behavior. When it became clear he couldn't really recruit that well (which was why he was supposedly hired), the end was in sight. I always thought he was a stand-up guy, but after his third recruiting class, I thought the handwriting was on the wall in capital letters.

Top Bottom