Do you want your opinion to be voiced on KFAN?

GopherLady

Reaction score
Here's your chance! KFAN wants to know what the fan's think about this year's signing class. Share your thoughts on this thread, and listen to KFAN 1130 at 6:30p.m. to hear if your voice is representing the Gopher fanbase?

Post away!

Lackluster - but perhaps a necessary reality.

Since you asked, here are my thoughts:

- I really don't understand the negativity that is seeming to permeate this board re: the current recruiting class. We are still ranked #49 overall at Rivals, and #9 overall in the Big Ten. While neither are great, they are better than our relative on-field standing nationwide and in the Big Ten, and amazing considering we are on our 3rd head coach in less than 4 years.

- Tommy Olson is one of the better Minnesota HS prospects in several years. He is drastically underrated by all the recruiting services, and should easily be in the Rivals 250. How he is a middling 3-star is beyond me. He may end up being the best in-state player for the Gophers since Decker, or even MBIII.

- Kill looks to be placing a great deal of emphasis on the walk-on program, which is great because it allows us to build up the depth chart without using scholarships. It will also allow him to balance the classes by rewarding players who have earned a scholarship.

- Kill also appears to place a premium on fit. He may not be recruiting the caliber of players that Brewster was, but he has built up his system over nearly two decades and should, by now, have a good idea as to what he is looking for from HS prospects to fit what he wants to do in all three phases of the game.

- It is unfair to place expectations on a coach who has had a little less than 2 months to build a class that most of his peers have had multiple years to assemble. The very earliest we can judge him is next year when he has had a full cycle to build relationships, offer scholarships on his own timetable, and host recruits when it is most advantageous to display what Minnesota has to offer.

- I really don't understand the negativity that is seeming to permeate this board re: the current recruiting class. We are still ranked #49 overall at Rivals, and #9 overall in the Big Ten. While neither are great, they are better than our relative on-field standing nationwide and in the Big Ten, and amazing considering we are on our 3rd head coach in less than 4 years.

- Tommy Olson is one of the better Minnesota HS prospects in several years. He is drastically underrated by all the recruiting services, and should easily be in the Rivals 250. How he is a middling 3-star is beyond me. He may end up being the best in-state player for the Gophers since Decker, or even MBIII.

- Kill looks to be placing a great deal of emphasis on the walk-on program, which is great because it allows us to build up the depth chart without using scholarships. It will also allow him to balance the classes by rewarding players who have earned a scholarship.

- Kill also appears to place a premium on fit. He may not be recruiting the caliber of players that Brewster was, but he has built up his system over nearly two decades and should, by now, have a good idea as to what he is looking for from HS prospects to fit what he wants to do in all three phases of the game.

- It is unfair to place expectations on a coach who has had a little less than 2 months to build a class that most of his peers have had multiple years to assemble. The very earliest we can judge him is next year when he has had a full cycle to build relationships, offer scholarships on his own timetable, and host recruits when it is most advantageous to display what Minnesota has to offer.

+1 sums my thoughts up perfectly. This is a time to be realistic and rationale.

It's hard to get excited when you look at the quantifiable aspects of this class, such as stars, blah blah blah, BUT Coach Kill has got me thinking that we're going to see a different kind of product on the field this fall, and I don't think I'm alone.

To quote a legend, "The Plain-Belly Sneetches had none upon thars. Those stars weren’t so big. They were really so small."

So maybe our recruits won't be big on star power, but maybe just maybe, our Coach Kill can do just fine without stars!??

After all, if you know the story, it ends thusly, "That day, all the Sneetches forgot about stars and whether They had one, or not, upon thars."

Go Gophers (without stars upon thars)

Part of the fan reaction to this recruiting class is that there is just no buzz. There were some high profile last minute switches two and three years ago and last year a lot of people were clinging to a sliver of hope that Henderson would end up here.

I said this in another thread, but I think Tommy Olson is going to be a big time player and will be the best Brewster recruit.

If the Vikings move, will PA go with them?

I am extremely disappointed with the class. There's simply no excuse to finish 9th in the Big Ten and I am concerned that our level of recruiting is regressing back to the point where we don't have the talent to compete. We've seen the results of recruiting classes that were near (or at) the very bottom of the conference. Those classes contributed heavily to the poor seasons we continue to experience. I don't blame it all on Kill, but it is alarming that new coaches with less time to recruit like Todd Graham at Pittsburgh have had much more success than Jerry Kill. Looking at it objectively, it's hard to envision recruiting going worse during the past couple of weeks than it has. The Gophers have struck out on basically every prospect they've targeted and there hasn't been any good news. I hope we can keep the spin to a minimum and acknowledge things need to get better on the recruiting front.

For how long Kill had to prepare it it's good. I am however disappointed in the number of recruits that got away in the end including Carter and Estime. I do think people will complain because the talent level isn't as good as Brewster's but then again Brewster couldn't coach.

I am extremely disappointed with the class. There's simply no excuse to finish 9th in the Big Ten and I am concerned that our level of recruiting is regressing back to the point where we don't have the talent to compete. We've seen the results of recruiting classes that were near (or at) the very bottom of the conference. Those classes contributed heavily to the poor seasons we continue to experience. I don't blame it all on Kill, but it is alarming that new coaches with less time to recruit like Todd Graham at Pittsburgh have had much more success than Jerry Kill. Looking at it objectively, it's hard to envision recruiting going worse during the past couple of weeks than it has. The Gophers have struck out on basically every prospect they've targeted and there hasn't been any good news. I hope we can keep the spin to a minimum and acknowledge things need to get better on the recruiting front.
There's plenty of excuses like going 3-9 for one. A coaching change. Less time to build relationships with players than most other programs.

Todd Graham has the ability to sell a program that is currently decent and a contender every year in the Big East where it is much easier to win. IMO, he's a bad example. Kevin Wilson would be a good comparison to Kill and he isn't doing very well either.

Nadine could you ask KFAN if they are podcasting the show? and what page are they putting it under for those of us who will not be able to listen at the given time.

Thanks Gopherlady!

While it's hard to evaluate a head coach coming in and not getting a full recruiting season to work, I am disappointed that a lot of our "targets" that Kill & Co. have been on the hunt for late in the recruiting season have decided to go elsewhere.

Nobody knows how much the coaching change played into these recruits, but because it is late in the season and these recruits were uncommitted at the time that Kill was in place, it is frustrating that no better progress seems to be made recruiting-wise under Kill than under Brewster.

Certainly, nobody doubts that the recruiting ranking aren't always correct, but they are often right, and if you look at the top teams in the nation vs. the top recruiting classes there is a positive correllation between recruiting success and on-field sucess that cannot be overlooked.

The Gopher cycle of coaches has historically rotated between guys that were perceived as good coaches and guys that were perceived as good recruiters.

Ultimately, we won't be able to judge Kill's abilities for another couple of years down the road, but as a loyal Gopher supporter I can't help but wonder:

Will we ever get a head coach who can coach and recruit?

While it's hard to evaluate a head coach coming in and not getting a full recruiting season to work, I am disappointed that a lot of our "targets" that Kill & Co. have been on the hunt for late in the recruiting season have decided to go elsewhere.

Nobody knows how much the coaching change played into these recruits, but because it is late in the season and these recruits were uncommitted at the time that Kill was in place, it is frustrating that no better progress seems to be made recruiting-wise under Kill than under Brewster.

With kind of patience I take it you aren't much of a deer hunter. "This hunting season is a disappointment. I haven't seen a deer and I've been out here 20 minutes"...

With kind of patience I take it you aren't much of a deer hunter. "This hunting season is a disappointment. I haven't seen a deer and I've been out here 20 minutes"...

So you bold the phrase where I said I hadn't seen any improvement but didn't bold the multiple phrases in the same post where I admitted that we can't fully judge him yet?

I take it you're not much of a fisherman. It's hard to be really successful when you keep throwing the types of fish you don't want back while hoping to actually find the one fish you're looking for.

I support coach Kill. But it doesn't mean I can't be somewhat disappointed at this point.

Great comments already, thanks so much for all of you chiming in. The tough part will be choosing from so many strong opinions!

Nadine could you ask KFAN if they are podcasting the show? and what page are they putting it under for those of us who will not be able to listen at the given time.

Thanks Gopherlady!

There will be a podcast - so we will most certainly post it. Thank you for asking about it and wanting to listen!

Please pleaase please call Barreiro out for his complete 180 on Mason.

No!!!!!

Not until KFAN goes on record to show genuine interest in Gopher football. Not just one show.

No!!!!!

Not until KFAN goes on record to show genuine interest in Gopher football. Not just one show.

At least thank them for the show and say you hope it leads to more Gopher coverage on the station. Tell them there's a lot of potential listeners who are really looking for a solid source for Gopher news and viewpoints provided from a balanced perspective.

I'm a bit disappointed, like others, that some of the late targets who had at one time committed, like Carter and Estime went elsewhere, but that is only one element here. Kill is obviously a no "BS guy" and that approach is probably going to work best when you're dealing with a recruiting class from the get-go and not from the mid-point forward.

+1 Spot On!

So you bold the phrase where I said I hadn't seen any improvement but didn't bold the multiple phrases in the same post where I admitted that we can't fully judge him yet?

I take it you're not much of a fisherman. It's hard to be really successful when you keep throwing the types of fish you don't want back while hoping to actually find the one fish you're looking for.

I support coach Kill. But it doesn't mean I can't be somewhat disappointed at this point.

If we can't judge him yet, the how in the world did you judge him? Because that was a judgment statement. You looked at this class and said there is apparently no difference between Kill and Brew in recruiting.

Disappointment is fine. But the logical place to be then is "I'm disappointed but am waiting to see the next class before making a judgment."

Please remind Barriero that mortality tables show that it is irresponsible to father a child at 55.

GL tell whoever the KFAN

heads are there with you to line up and then knee them all in the nuts one by one and then tell them to lick your ass! KFAN can go fuk themselves.

If we can't judge him yet, the how in the world did you judge him? Because that was a judgment statement. You looked at this class and said there is apparently no difference between Kill and Brew in recruiting.

Disappointment is fine. But the logical place to be then is "I'm disappointed but am waiting to see the next class before making a judgment."

You do realize people can be judged at different times, don't you?

heads are there with you to line up and then knee them all in the nuts one by one and then tell them to lick your ass! KFAN can go fuk themselves.

And with enlightened opinions like this, I can't imagine why they might not be positive about our team.:eek:

Minnesota lands the number 1 kid in the state this year, Tommy Olson, and everyone is yawning. Olson was a solid Minnesota committ no matter who the coach was, but he chose Minnesota. This should be celebrated, not ignored.

You do realize people can be judged at different times, don't you?

Certainly. But it's just interesting that you talk about how you're not judging him and yet you judge him in the same post that you talk about not judging him. I think your last point about waiting for judgment is sound. And I share your frustration that we haven't seen a "complete" coach (i.e. recruiting and coaching) in my lifetime (and beyond). But that just highlights the silliness of your "it is frustrating that no better progress seems to be made recruiting-wise under Kill than under Brewster" comparison. It doesn't make sense in light of your other point and its not logical given the circumstances. Which is why I highlighted it and called it out. I should have given more initial credence to the other sections of the post where you mention that waiting makes sense and I apologize for that. But that more sensible point doesn't explain away the silliness of the comparison I highlighted.

Top Bottom