Do the Gophers still beat the Badgers today with Tanner playing QB?

WindyCityGopher

Reaction score
I don’t know the answer, but think it’s an interesting hypothetical. The passing game felt more dynamic today with Athan. I’m not sure Tanner makes some of those big armed throws that put us over the top.

Do the Gophers win the National championship this year if the starting QBs is me from NCAA 14?

Who cares?

Watched the movie "Nope" last evening. Slow start but fine finish if you like sci-fi.

Not going to say "nope" here on the "what if Tanner were QB" because the experiment was not run...

Obviously though Tanner has beaten Wisky twice which is more than many Gophers' quarterbacks and the teams they led can say.

Tanner Morgan was a great Minnesota QB for longer than most have gotten a chance. Fact is it was going to end some day as that's the nature of the game.

Next man up is AK and just like Tanner did in 2018 he's stepping into the role. One more game for 2022 but overall we should be happy with both Tanner and Athan. If not, time to root for someone else...

No....Some feelings are going to be hurt in this thread
Not one feeling is going to be hurt. If it’s tru or not nobody can say with certainty. Although Athen spiral cannon is top 5 in nfl. Wonder how hard could throw a fastball on high school. Also. Tanner May have ran for first down but AK ran for an extra ten.

We owe Tanner Morgan for six years of service to the maroon & gold, including many games in which his passing was extraordinary (20 of 22, etc.). Hope he goes into coaching if that is what he wishes. I agree with others that Wisconsin was so keyed to stopping Mo that Tanner would also have done well passing, but Athan is more than a cool field general: he can make the long throw with strength and accuracy, can run when needed, is a taller and stronger athlete with a gift for moving the team. So today, Athan over Tanner.

For 6 years, Tanner has been the best Gopher QB of my lifetime. And I'm 50. I have nothing but respect and gratitude for him. He has been a key part of a group of guys that have elevated Gopher football.

The fact of the matter is that Athan brings things to the table that Tanner cannot. Athan is more athletic, faster, and has a stronger arm. These things can open up options on the field - and they did today. Athan won the game today in a way in which Tanner could not have replicated.

The Gophers may have won with Tanner at the helm - but it would have looked different. (And I'm not sure that we could have won.)

Athan will need time to let the mental part of the game become second nature. But the future is bright. The "future" may not arrive next year - we likely take some "lumps" next year in order to set up the next two. But be patient and enjoy the ride. Athan ultimately takes us further, and when he has acquired the mental part of the game, the Gophers probably have the best QB in the B1G with Athan at the helm.

Kaliakmanis played brilliantly yesterday. He is 1-0 vs. Wisconsin, and that is impressive.

And, as I recall, Tanner Morgan also has a pretty decent record vs the Badgers.

It seems to me that Gopher fans can give credit to both. I know I do.

This won't be popular, and I get why Tanner came back.

I wish he would have not come back. AK would have then had 3 games at the start to get the kinks out. I think our offense would have been more like yesterday earlier in the year. I think we'd have had a couple more big 10 wins.

I truly believe we'd be playing this Saturday night if AK had started the year. Who knows about injuries, etc. but they worked AK in slowly and would have been able to do that out of the way in the first 3 cupcake games.

Oh well..............Michigan is so happy not to see us!

Last edited:

Probably not, he is concussed and hasn’t practiced in weeks

Probably not, he is concussed and hasn’t practiced in weeks
I want us to throw at least 30 times in the bowl game for two reasons:

1. To see more of our current receivers with AK

2. For recruiting.........you show the recruits film on Wisky and whoever we have to destroy through the air in the bowl game

For 6 years, Tanner has been the best Gopher QB of my lifetime. And I'm 50. I have nothing but respect and gratitude for him. He has been a key part of a group of guys that have elevated Gopher football.

The fact of the matter is that Athan brings things to the table that Tanner cannot. Athan is more athletic, faster, and has a stronger arm. These things can open up options on the field - and they did today. Athan won the game today in a way in which Tanner could not have replicated.

The Gophers may have won with Tanner at the helm - but it would have looked different. (And I'm not sure that we could have won.)

Athan will need time to let the mental part of the game become second nature. But the future is bright. The "future" may not arrive next year - we likely take some "lumps" next year in order to set up the next two. But be patient and enjoy the ride. Athan ultimately takes us further, and when he has acquired the mental part of the game, the Gophers probably have the best QB in the B1G with Athan at the helm.
Agree with everything but the very last part. I think the future is now for Athan. He will have the full off-season to really seize control of this offense as the unquestioned #1 guy heading into 2023.

As for the OPs question....I'm with those that really don't care or have an opinion either way. Morgan was a hell of a QB here, it is a shame his playing career ended the way it did.

This won't be popular, and I get why Tanner came back.

I wish he would have not come back. AK would have then had 3 games at the start to get the kinks out. I think our offense would have been more like yesterday earlier in the year. I think we'd have had a couple more big 10 wins.

I truly believe we'd be playing this Saturday night if AK had started the year. Who knows about injuries, etc. but they worked AK in slowly and would have been able to do that out of the way in the first 3 cupcake games.

Oh well..............Michigan is so happy not to see us!
Nothing you said above is wrong.

Tanner Morgan, like Mitch Leidner before him gave his heart and soul to this program.
Leadership on and off the field, great spokesmen, left it all on the field.

No reason to go here.

I think the bigger question is, does Tanner or Athan start in our bowl game? Maybe Tanner if healthy, both likely get playing time.

I think the bigger question is, does Tanner or Athan start in our bowl game? Maybe Tanner if healthy, both likely get playing time.
Would guess if Morgan is cleared they give him the first play, hand it to Mo and then go to Athan.

I think Morgan probably gets it.
I’m not sure he will be cleared.
2 concussions in 4 weeks. At a minimum the third of his career (2019 Iowa). I would guess (and guessed at the time) he is done.

Tanner Morgan, like Mitch Leidner before him gave his heart and soul to this program.
Leadership on and off the field, great spokesmen, left it all on the field.

No reason to go here.
Almost all of the gophers give their heart and soul to the program. All the players on the field yesterday do. They lift, get up early, and put in 100's upon 100's of hours to the game.

Top Bottom