Do folks have confidence in this coaching staff going forward?

In the first half when mitch was playing out of his mind everyone was praising Clayes and Co. Then the second half mitch played terrible it was the coaches fault. Why does the Qb play reflect the head coach? TC didn't throw those ints. Ad far as recruiting goes it's gotta be hard to recruit with such a short contract.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

In the first half when mitch was playing out of his mind everyone was praising Clayes and Co. Then the second half mitch played terrible it was the coaches fault. Why does the Qb play reflect the head coach? TC didn't throw those ints. Ad far as recruiting goes it's gotta be hard to recruit with such a short contract.

Are you really asking why the team reflects the coach?

Are you really asking why the team reflects the coach?
Is what I'm saying is the coach didn't throw the ints and mitch was put in a position win and he made some really bad mistakes that cost us the game.

To answer the original question - No. I like what the defensive staff has done. If possible, I would like to see them keep Sawvel as DC, and keep the defensive staff, but I have no faith in Claeys as a head coach, or Johnson as an OC. There just seems to be a massive disconnect on the offensive side of the ball. Either the coaches are unable to communicate their plan, or the players are either too stupid to understand the plan, or lack the athletic ability to execute the plan.

Every other stinkin' team in the country can run a screen, or a swing pass, or a drag route to the TE - but MN can't. Again, either MN has the wrong coach, the wrong players, or both. Now, I like the RB's - but where is the off-tackle run, or the toss sweep, or the counter play? anything creative? Not in this offense. I watch HS teams that are far more creative on offense than the Gophers. Can't take it any more.

This staff is capable of a fine defense. Need to recruit difference makers on o

No, I don't have any faith. They've had 5 years to find a better leader then that disaster they have running the team and haven't done it. There's a lot of quality players on our team, and this coaching staff is pissing it away.

I have zero faith in Johnson. There was no development or improvement on offense. And sorry, I don't know the name of the O-line coach, but he needs to go also. Our players deserve better.

No, I don't have any faith. They've had 5 years to find a better leader then that disaster they have running the team and haven't done it. There's a lot of quality players on our team, and this coaching staff is pissing it away.

I think Claeys deserves to stay, but if Coyle has someone he thinks could be great in his back pocket, then I could understand making a change.

I think the decision to hire Jay Johnson may prove to be what was the undoing of Claeys. His offense was awful at times, and much worse than what Zebrowksi/Limgrover came up with once they did not have Jerry Kill meddling and dictating the offense.

With almost 7 minutes left, down by one TD, they threw the game plan out the window and had Mitch start throwing every down and throwing deep. That might work if he was Tom Brady, or Dan Marino in 1985, but he isn't and there was no chance with Mitch unleashed in the air, anything but disaster would ensue. I liked the deep Mitch throws early in the game and on first down, but at that point in the game it was all to predictable.

Mitch needed to keep running some read plays, or at least drop back and start running as soon as things looked bad downfield. Matt Millen is not so bad as a commentator and he correctly called some of this.

How many carries did Shannon Brooks get? Not enough. Brooks is runner that gets better as he gets more carries in non-predictable situations. Jay Johnson has proven nothing, except that he might be a very poor play caller who tends to panic and wilt when things get tough. They abandoned the run, gave Smith way too many carries and not enough to Brooks, and showed little interest in running any misdirection.

Eric Carter is no playmaker and proved today he did not belong out there. If non of those other guys were ready to play, then that is also on the staff. Please tell me Ty Johnson is injured and was not sitting because the staff preferred to have Eric Carter out there.

Is what I'm saying is the coach didn't throw the ints and mitch was put in a position win and he made some really bad mistakes that cost us the game.

Correct. One game is not reason to fire a coach.

At some point multiple one games with the same theme is on the coach

OC, S and C, offensive line coach could all hit the road and not be missed. Really disappointed in TC new hires. And we are so soft up front and that is the responsibility of the S and C. Klein needs to go.

Any coaching staff that puts the ball in Mitch's Leidners hands needs to be gone.

I think Claeys deserves to stay, but if Coyle has someone he thinks could be great in his back pocket, then I could understand making a change.

I think the decision to hire Jay Johnson may prove to be what was the undoing of Claeys. His offense was awful at times, and much worse than what Zebrowksi/Limgrover came up with once they did not have Jerry Kill meddling and dictating the offense.

With almost 7 minutes left, down by one TD, they threw the game plan out the window and had Mitch start throwing every down and throwing deep. That might work if he was Tom Brady, or Dan Marino in 1985, but he isn't and there was no change anything but disaster would ensue.

Mitch needed to keep running some read plays, or at least drop back and start running as soon as things looked bad downfield. Matt Millen is not so bad as a commentator and he correctly called some of this.

How many carries did Shannon Brooks get? Not enough. Brooks is runner that gets better as he gets more carries in non-predictable situations. Jay Johnson has proven nothing, except that he might be a very poor play caller who tends to panic and wilt when things get tough.

I agree. Coaching went a long way towards losing. If we remember when Kill and company first got here, we tended to get blown out in the first half and then we'd play much better in the second. Mostly because of defensive adjustments by Claeys and Sawvel. This year, every good half we had was a first half and quality teams made adjustments at halftime that made us look silly. It's really a shame.

Brooks did not get the ball enough. It's a 99% fail rate to depend on Mitch to see you through. So you need to take the ball out of his hands and do everything else in the playbook to win. Our defense did way more than enough to stop Wisconsin, but turnover after turnover from your 5th year senior is killer.

Jay Johnson was an average at best OC in the sunbelt why would anyone think he would be better here?

Correct. One game is not reason to fire a coach.

At some point multiple one games with the same theme is on the coach

Losing the border battles - Iowa in a crap game and Wisconsin with a crap second half - has to weigh in on Coyle's decision making. U of MN administration does not get it at all, not supporting the athletic program, when it can drive a significant revenue stream. TC might be a great football coach but his teams reflect his level of "low key" enthusiasm. Losing games in the second half that were winnable (PS, NE, WI) show a lack of adjustability by the coaching staff - probably another learning opportunity - is that acceptable at the D1 level? I submit no. Lots to think about for Coyle. Key will be the support of the administration. I think Coyle's decision (and he may or may not have a plan) will be subject to the support of the administration. Coyle will learn a lot about his level of authority and responsibility over the next few days/weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom