Do folks have confidence in this coaching staff going forward?

46Gophers

Reaction score
After watching them piss away the four games that they had against quality opponents this year, I have serious doubts. I am afraid that this is as good as it gets with this staff. It would have sure been nice to have won at least one trophy game. Ugh!

Not in Jay Johnson or as TC as a head coach and head of recruiting. I wish we could have kept Tracy as a defensive coordinator, but that ship has sailed.

No this Jay Johnson made Limegrover w/o Kill look all world.

No. Not really. 8-4 doesn't mean too much when your best win is 6-6 Northwestern.

I have very little confidence in this staff. It's time to reach higher. MUCH higher.

I feel the same way that I did after the Mason Texas Tech meltdown...just not another Brewster please.

I was impressed with the offensive play calling, but not much else.

either have to extend Claeys out or replace him now-- might as well make the change

...just spend the money to get someone other than these low paying guys like Brewster, Kill and Cllaeys. Big Ten has so much to offer

Coaching staff didn't lose this one, Mitch did.

...just spend the money to get someone other than these low paying guys like Brewster, Kill and Cllaeys. Big Ten has so much to offer

Need to make the change now. I have no confidence in this staff.

If I were the AD, i'd give Urban Meyer a call. I've heard on the street he's unhappy w/ the new uniforms.

I do not want Claeys extended because there is absolutely no enthusiasm for this program. Without an extension, Claeys can't recruit. However, I have seen enough to know that he is not going to take us to a better place. The hard call is to fire claeys and replace him. With the poor performance we have had against good teams, unless we get a les miles, no one is going to care who is coach until there is a belief that we can beat ranked teams.

I fire him. Here's the kicker for me. My wife is from Arkansas. She says he is bigger than our coach. "How can he recruit. "

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. I'd like to see what this staff can do with two years of Demry/Seth Green and I think they can possibly make it far with those guys. After that, I'll decide.

None. But the bigger question may be "does anyone have any confidence in the administration to correct the situation?" Unfortunately, my confidence in that is also low. Minnesota history would tell us that TC will almost certainly be here next year and may even get his extension. I really hope I'm wrong and Coyle doesn't tolerate this celebration of mediocrity. An 8-4 record on this schedule is the equivalent of a 5-7 record in the real world.

No I do not have any confidence in this football staff. The inability to recruit a Big 10 level QB that could beat out Mitch Leidner is the main reason. No other program in the Big 10 has had to suffer with this level of ineptness at QB for four years. This has been a bitter four years of untapped improvement by the rest of the program, the QB is holding this program back. This staff have not proven they can beat anyone of any quality as a program. Gophers never beat the winning programs. The common denominator in all of these close losses and implosions has been the play of the senior Quarterback.

The Gophers can hang with teams and play hard like a good team, but there is not the killer instinct, or the belief that this program can be elevated.

I don't see how anything is going to get better. Today's game was very unsatisfying because of the turnovers in the second half trying to force things. To much of a hero complex and lack of success by Mitch. I thought he was going to play his best game ever, and for a half he sustained it. They quit believing after the pick in the end zone in the third quarter.

If I had to assign a number to my confidence in this coaching staff it would be negative infinity.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

No I do not have any confidence in this football staff. The inability to recruit a Big 10 level QB that could beat out Mitch Leidner is the main reason. No other program in the Big 10 has had to suffer with this level of ineptness at QB for four years. This has been a bitter four years of untapped improvement by the rest of the program, the QB is holding this program back. This staff have not proven they can beat anyone of any quality as a program. Gophers never beat the winning programs.
They can hang with teams and play hard like a good team, but there is not killer instinct, or belief that this program can be elevated. I don't see how anything is going to get better. Today's game was very unsatisfying because of the turnovers in the second half trying to force things. To much of a hero complex.
+1

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The real question is confidence to do what?

Confidence to win 5-8 games each year? 100%
Confidence to win 9+? 0%

I lost all confidence in this staff once our 2nd half offensive strategy was to play a game of 500 and hope it worked out

The only question that matters at this moment for the future of the program: is Jay Johnson capable of developing Seth or Demry into an above average B1G QB?

If the answer is 'yes' then you extend the staff. The defense has taken huge strides in the Kill/Claeys era, and I have confidence Sawvel will continue to improve as a coordinator. Competent defensive play alone gave us a chance to do big things this year and I'm a firm believer this unit will only improve with some of the younger guys we have brought in like Coughlin, Martin, etc. Simply put, this is the best sustained stretch of defensive competency I've seen in my lifetime as a Gopher fan, and I'm not willing to throw it away because Mitch **** the bed at Camp Randall in the 2nd half.

If the answer is 'no' then you cut bait before the bowl game and have a hire ready to go who can do the following things: develop QBs and run a passing game (complete with WRs who can catch). But you better be ready to shell out big bucks considering we will have fired a staff that has won at least 8 games in 3 of the last 4 seasons for the first time since the 00s, and I mean 1900s.

I give credit to Claeys for understanding that changes had to be made, and am interested in what Johnson could do given another offseason and younger, more suitable players for his system coming up. But if Coyle has a home run hire up his sleeve (and when I say home run I mean PJ Fleck, Les Miles, Kane Liffin status) then you make a move. Otherwise, I'm comfortable knowing Claeys and co will have another year to continue building this team.

After watching them piss away the four games that they had against quality opponents this year, I have serious doubts. I am afraid that this is as good as it gets with this staff. It would have sure been nice to have won at least one trophy game. Ugh!

They didn't piss it away. Getting out scored 45-3 in the fourth quarter in the losses is the result of QB play.

I think we have some options in Green and Croat. Young talent and the team is getting better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

None. But the bigger question may be "does anyone have any confidence in the administration to correct the situation?" Unfortunately, my confidence in that is also low. Minnesota history would tell us that TC will almost certainly be here next year and may even get his extension. I really hope I'm wrong and Coyle doesn't tolerate this celebration of mediocrity. An 8-4 record on this schedule is the equivalent of a 5-7 record in the real world.

THIS. All eyes on the administration, now. Will anything have changed since Malcolm Moos KO's football at the U? We'll find out.

Gotta Disagree

Coaching staff didn't lose this one, Mitch did.

My gosh, how can you watch Mitch this season and continue to put him in positions to fail????? WHY?? Are we passing the ball in easy field goal range to put us up 10? Changes the whole complexion of the game. Wisconsin was willing to lose!!!! They were already in the dang Big Ten Championship game. Nope, we gotta wake em up!!

With the lead against Penn St, Iowa and Nebraska and now Wisconsin we keep passing...why? We are not good at it. We run the ball effectively. It keeps our defense off the field. It shortens the game. My gosh!!!! We are ahead, put our defense in position to make plays when the other team is down and has to pass....send Cashman, Rallis etc in the blitz package.

The first offensive possession of the game...Mitch keeps the ball the option...what? maybe 3 times for 40 yards? Never ever did it again all game...why? It was there dang near every time Mitch carried out his fake...nobody still accounting for him. It's the 12th game of the year... how many offensive wrinkles did you see beyond the keeper to take advantage of 11 games of tape on Wisconsin???

You can't watch us get ahead in the four losses and watch us play stupid offensive play calling football in the second half and not see a pattern...a formula to losing. There was zero offensive innovation after the first possession.
The only way it does improve is that the players are so good they overcome the bad offensive play calling and make plays anyway versus playing to our strengths.

Top Bottom