DirecTV may drop BTN, FS1 and Fox 9

Perfect timing for a dispute. Not enough details to know who the worst of two bad guys is.

No Bally’s Sports
I have Comcast but had been looking into Directv stream since they are the only streaming service with Bally's. Will be curious to see how this plays out. If Directv drops BTN and Fox that would be a deal breaker for sure.

How are they able to drop a local channel? Thought those had to be included in any package.

No Bally’s Sports
The crazy thing of this, is that it used to be Fox Sports (North). And it's the Fox (Sports) networks that are having the dispute with the DirecTV/AT&T distributors.

But now that it's not FSN anymore, DirecTV Stream is the only way to get BSN other than traditional cable/sat.

How are they able to drop a local channel? Thought those had to be included in any package.
Not at all.

In fact, local stations make a lot of money by getting paid carriage fees by cable, sat, and streaming companies to include those channels in the channel packages. Really just like a cable network does, but it's called something different because they're different things legally.

Our laws on all this stuff are hilariously antiquated, and were made back when TV was mainly broadcast and received over antennas.

DirecTV's main selling point, outside of those who can only get satellite, is sports. They are losing Sunday Ticket after this year and dropping Fox/FS1/BTN in the middle of the World Cup and football/basketball season would be extremely dumb. I will probably do a free week on Fubo or something but if they don't have it resolved by then, I'm out.

The crazy thing of this, is that it used to be Fox Sports (North). And it's the Fox (Sports) networks that are having the dispute with the DirecTV/AT&T distributors.

But now that it's not FSN anymore, DirecTV Stream is the only way to get BSN other than traditional cable/sat.
Fox/Murdoch used to own a share of DirecTV I believe. So DirecTV carrying FS North or BTN was never a concern.

DirecTV's main selling point, outside of those who can only get satellite, is sports. They are losing Sunday Ticket after this year and dropping Fox/FS1/BTN in the middle of the World Cup and football/basketball season would be extremely dumb. I will probably do a free week on Fubo or something but if they don't have it resolved by then, I'm out.
Wasn't the deadline at Midnight last night?

I think tonight? Not sure. Either way they often don't pull the trigger immediately.
True, but if it's close they will grant a reprieve. Taking them off the platform with the U.S. succeeding in the World Cup is asking for a gigantic PR nightmare.

Say whatever you want about Comcast. At least I hardly ever have to deal with this crap.
I had DirecTV for years. Moved to the country and convinced Comcast to run lines to my house...so I have TV with them now. Very good experience and less than half the price for Cable/Internet than I was paying for DirecTV/Satellite internet

I had DirecTV for years. Moved to the country and convinced Comcast to run lines to my house...so I have TV with them now. Very good experience and less than half the price for Cable/Internet than I was paying for DirecTV/Satellite internet
The only thing I can complain about these days is the data cap, but everyone has that these days so there's no getting away from it.

Pay for Bally separately, switch to YTTV, and see if your total cost is higher, lower, or the same.
How does the Bally App work for watching games after they've started? I almost never watch live.

The only thing I can complain about these days is the data cap, but everyone has that these days so there's no getting away from it.
I don’t get close to that cap I don’t think. We get a few 100GBs I think?

Do you have everything you want sports wise? I have YouTube and get all the Fox, Disney, and CBS Paramount sports channels. Really like having CBS Sports which was only on major package extension the last time I looked at cable or satellite. Frustrating as heck paying an extra $20 for 30 stations of which I only wanted one.

Only thing I don’t have is Bally and I’m not missing it much.

Had DTVStream for a year now and love it. Had YTTV before that and loved it, until the channels disappeared - similar to this.
May have to go back to cable, as I as sick of this garbage.

How does the Bally App work for watching games after they've started? I almost never watch live.
I'm sorry but I do not know because I do not care about most professional sports so what YTTV has on is more than enough for my viewing and I do not have Bally.

Had DTVStream for a year now and love it. Had YTTV before that and loved it, until the channels disappeared - similar to this.
May have to go back to cable, as I as sick of this garbage.
I have had YTTV for years and have had temporary suspension of a few channels for a couple of days while YTTV and an APP fought it out but never "lost" a channel I wanted.

I have had YTTV for years and have had temporary suspension of a few channels for a couple of days while YTTV and an APP fought it out but never "lost" a channel I wanted.
No Bally, correct?

I have HuluTV...nice thing is that it includes access to Disney+ and by default all the ESPN stuff (except ESPN+). But I get to watch anything on ESPN3.

Also gets BTN, FSN, CBS sports stuff.

DirectTV stream let’s me share a subscription with my Dad. It allows 3 simultaneous streams on one login regardless of the location. YTTV and Hulu currently both don’t allow that.

DirectTV stream let’s me share a subscription with my Dad. It allows 3 simultaneous streams on one login regardless of the location. YTTV and Hulu currently both don’t allow that.
Not true. I share YTTV with two family members and three simultaneous streams.

Not true. I share YTTV with two family members and three simultaneous streams.
I had it for years. You have to login periodically with each account at your “Home Area” or it will boot you out until you login at the household again.

It’s doable if you share passwords, but a pain in the ass.

Direct TV Stream is the most expensive of the bundled streaming services.
YTTV and Hulu Live+TV are about $65 or $70. Direct-TV Stream Choice (the option with more sports) is $90.

So, you could get YTTV or Hulu Live and go for the Bally's App for about the same price. But the Bally's app at this point does not have a deal for most MLB teams.

if you really don't care about the Twins, Wild or Wolves, then YTTV or Hulu Live are fine. But if you want those teams, as far as I know, it's either Direct-TV Stream or the Bally's app.

as much as people used to complain about cable being too expensive, streaming is not turning out to be the huge money-saver that people were hoping for.

Top Bottom