DirecTV may drop BTN, FS1 and Fox 9

I had it for years. You have to login periodically with each account at your “Home Area” or it will boot you out until you login at the household again.

It’s doable if you share passwords, but a pain in the ass.
I see. Yes, we all just log into the same account/password.

Two of our households are here in the TC metro, while one is out of state. But it still works, though it automatically recognizes that the one is out of state and switched their local channels accordingly.

Again, I think our outdated laws are the culprit of that. Other than two grandfathered cases (which I don't think are around anymore), they forbid so-called "Superstations". IE, local stations that used other means that direct, physical broadcasting over the airwaves to get their signal out into the world. Back then that meant beaming by satellite and offering it nationwide as a cable channel. Now of course, that would be the internet and streaming.

as much as people used to complain about cable being too expensive, streaming is not turning out to be the huge money-saver that people were hoping for.
Profit is maximized with big bundles.

This was always true. Cable didn't do it that way just for s__ts & giggles. It's the only way that made sense financially.

People have always had the dream of being able to just subscribe to a handful of whatever channels they wanted.

But they don't realize that the cost to provide that would probably be like $30-50 a month per channel. Almost no one would do that.

Do you have everything you want sports wise? I have YouTube and get all the Fox, Disney, and CBS Paramount sports channels. Really like having CBS Sports which was only on major package extension the last time I looked at cable or satellite. Frustrating as heck paying an extra $20 for 30 stations of which I only wanted one.

Only thing I don’t have is Bally and I’m not missing it much.
Yeah—I don’t miss much. I’m also not in a position to watch as many games as I use to. Work + family obligations.

It seems that DirecTV and Fox have a new deal so no blackouts coming for BTN or FS1.

I am interested to hear what the NFL does with Sunday ticket and what the Twins work out with Bally's regarding streaming. I still prefer DirecTV but Sunday Ticket has always been the primary hook and the bill is a bit steep.

Last edited:

I did save money by going to YTTV instead of Spectrum for TV.
I saved more money by using the three devices for one subscription, using two at home and one at our lake cabin in the UP.
That way I could stop paying DirectTV for its satellite service at the lake.

I did save money by going to YTTV instead of Spectrum for TV.
I saved more money by using the three devices for one subscription, using two at home and one at our lake cabin in the UP.
That way I could stop paying DirectTV for its satellite service at the lake.
Same for us as we switched from DirectTV to YTTV last Winter.. Close to $60 a month. YouTube stream is a bit more cumbersome to operate but very manageable.

How are they able to drop a local channel? Thought those had to be included in any package.
each local channel has a contract and when it's up for a renewal they negotiate a new one and sometimes the channel drops off and is not dropped by directv, it's leverage to get best deal.

How are they able to drop a local channel? Thought those had to be included in any package.
The owners of local affiliates all have re-transmission deals with DirecTV/Cable/Streaming providers. The local Fox stations in several of the largest markets, including Minneapolis, are owned by Fox Corporate directly, so they were lumped in to this dispute along with FS1 and BTN.

DirectTV stream let’s me share a subscription with my Dad. It allows 3 simultaneous streams on one login regardless of the location. YTTV and Hulu currently both don’t allow that.
Yep. I can use DTV Stream at our cabin just as I do at home.

I feel sorry for u all. I have the best setup ever watching any channel or game I want. Reduced my charter cable bill from almost 200 to $74 internet only monthly. To $150 for the Year for all my channels and shows. Best setup ever.

I feel sorry for u all. I have the best setup ever watching any channel or game I want. Reduced my charter cable bill from almost 200 to $74 internet only monthly. To $150 for the Year for all my channels and shows. Best setup ever.
But it's a secret, eh?

I have HuluTV...nice thing is that it includes access to Disney+ and by default all the ESPN stuff (except ESPN+). But I get to watch anything on ESPN3.

Also gets BTN, FSN, CBS sports stuff.

Sorry. HuluTV is total garbage for sports. Unwatchable. If you use the DVR function for a game, it let's you fast forward through game play but makes you watch the full commercials. I couldn't drop that service fast enough.

Sorry. HuluTV is total garbage for sports. Unwatchable. If you use the DVR function for a game, it let's you fast forward through game play but makes you watch the full commercials. I couldn't drop that service fast enough.
I've always watched live, so I can't speak to this.

Profit is maximized with big bundles.

This was always true. Cable didn't do it that way just for s__ts & giggles. It's the only way that made sense financially.

People have always had the dream of being able to just subscribe to a handful of whatever channels they wanted.

But they don't realize that the cost to provide that would probably be like $30-50 a month per channel. Almost no one would do that.
It’s not a dream it is reality. $160 for the year

I can get u all set up. What channel or shows are must haves? I would be shock if I don’t have it. What is your cable bill currently?
All of them. A lot. :cool:

I have the high-end DirecTV package with the sports pack. I don't know the exact amount. I let it bill to my credit card and try not to look at it. About $125/month not including Sunday Ticket. The only sports channel I ever miss that I do not get is Pac12 Network.

I appreciate the offer, but if this is a "free" streaming thing, I'm not really interested. Ethical questions aside, I value the convenience of all channels in one place/DVR over $$ savings.

Last edited:

Top Bottom