Dino Babers

kellyleeks

GH Hall of Fame '10
Reaction score
I believe that Coyle hired him at Syracuse. Would you take him over Claeys?

Babers would be an unequivocal step down from Claeys. If Coyle fired TC for him, it would be a very bad sign for the program.

Would not inspire but I would renew my season tickets

That's the track record at a P5 school. One could make an argument that we are more appealing than Syracuse, but with the current scandal I'm not entirely sure. Not to mention, when we had a brand new stadium about to open, the best we could do was Tim Brewster.

That's the track record at a P5 school. One could make an argument that we are more appealing than Syracuse, but with the current scandal I'm not entirely sure. Not to mention, when we had a brand new stadium about to open, the best we could do was Tim Brewster.

Could have had Charlie Strong. Maturi just chose wrong.

It is not true Tim Brewster is the best we could do.
Tim Brewster is what we did. That doesn't mean he was the best we could do.

Too early to tell on Babers, he's only been at Syracuse 1 year. He's a good offensive coach.

Could have had Charlie Strong. Maturi just chose wrong.

No thank u. Strong is overrated as a head coach. He can recruit some, but can't coach. Would rather have Clayes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too early to tell on Babers, he's only been at Syracuse 1 year. He's a good offensive coach.

So ironic considering your stance on TC. Oops, I forgot - this was his 5th year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is not true Tim Brewster is the best we could do.
Tim Brewster is what we did. That doesn't mean he was the best we could do.

No one here knows that with 100% certainty. I'm not a fan of Joel, but have to believe that he would've taken another option over Brewster if one was available.

So ironic considering your stance on TC. Oops, I forgot - this was his 5th year.

I knew it wouldn't take long for you to comment on that. I'm sure you'd like to tell me again how Claeys/Sawvel and the majority of the staff haven't been at Minnesota for 6 years?

No one here knows that with 100% certainty. I'm not a fan of Joel, but have to believe that he would've taken another option over Brewster if one was available.

I think the main problem in the hiring process which produced the Brewster hire is that the Mason firing was kind of an impulse move on the part of Bruininks (supposedly it was his decision) which had the U scurrying. If we don't block the NDSU field goal earlier in the season, we likely lose that game, miss the bowl game, and the rumblings on Mason would have started earlier and a more comprehensive and reasoned list of replacement candidates could have been assembled in the event he was let go.

You don't think there were any other coaches available to accept a big ten job?
None?

I knew it wouldn't take long for you to comment on that. I'm sure you'd like to tell me again how Claeys/Sawvel and the majority of the staff haven't been at Minnesota for 6 years?

No need. You look silly enough w/o my help on that one. However, let me summarize your recent views on here just to make sure I have them right....

1. TC is a 5th year head coach and has proven he isn't the answer. Other coaches shouldn't be judged on a single year, but TC was not a first year HC.

2. TC was as responsible as anyone for the poor QB options & play this past year.

3. TC can't recruit - based on recruiting rankings (we will ignore on field performance this year from freshman).

4. PJF is a great recruiter. Based on his ranking being higher than TCs for 2017 (a class that hasn't even signed yet) - ignoring the rank in 2016 for some reason and any on-field performance.

5. TC hasn't beat anyone that matters.

6. PJF has also beat subpar teams, but it is more impressive that he has.

7. TC should be fired. We would be lucky to get PJF. He is in demand and only didn't get other offers because he turned down interest.

8. Mark Coyle has handled this suspension situation well or at least as well as could be expected.

Please let me know if I got anything wrong there.

You don't think there were any other coaches available to accept a big ten job?
None?

I'm sure Mike Grant would've taken the job, but Brewster was the best that we could do. I don't believe that Joel was so inept that he wouldn't have take Strong over Brewster. He may have believed that Brewster was a better hire than Kiffin (who would've left ASAP). I'm sure that if we were willing to pay $4m a year we could've done better, but we weren't.

Kill was also the best we could do and he wasn't on the radar when that search starts. We got lucky there.

I'm sure Mike Grant would've taken the job, but Brewster was the best that we could do. I don't believe that Joel was so inept that he wouldn't have take Strong over Brewster. He may have believed that Brewster was a better hire than Kiffin (who would've left ASAP). I'm sure that if we were willing to pay $4m a year we could've done better, but we weren't.

Kill was also the best we could do and he wasn't on the radar when that search starts. We got lucky there.
Okay

Please let me know if I got anything wrong there.

I've never said any of those things the way you have it written, especially #1. The first part of #4 and the 2nd part of #8 are the closest. Nice try though.

"Too early to tell" on Babers, but we're already convinced that Claeys sucks despite Minnesota being a vastly superior team as compared to Syracuse this season. Makes perfect sense!

When Coyle left Syracuse he never told Dino and Dino first heard about it from a reporter. He was pretty ticked so i don't think he has interest in following Coyle anywhere.

Syracuse finished 121st out of 128 in total defense. I'd pass.

If we are considering Claeys to be in his 6th season, are we also giving him credit for rebuilding the program after Brewster?

Like, is he in his 1st year or his 5th year?

If we are considering Claeys to be in his 6th season, are we also giving him credit for rebuilding the program after Brewster?

Like, is he in his 1st year or his 5th year?
Who are you responding to?

Who are you responding to?

The poster that said it's too early to tell on Babers because it was his first year but that this isn't really Claeys first year because he was here with Kill (the same poster doesn't credit Claeys for the turnaround under Kill).

The poster that said it's too early to tell on Babers because it was his first year but that this isn't really Claeys first year because he was here with Kill (the same poster doesn't credit Claeys for the turnaround under Kill).

I must have missed that. I think it is dumb to judge both of them based on this year. You'd have to judge Claeys on his work primarily this year and the second half of last year because that's when he has been head coach, but you should take into account the previous four years.

Babers should be looked at for this year but also his years at bowling green and eastern Illinois.

Haven't really watched a Syracuse game so I can't comment on Syracuse.

This was Claeys first full year as a head coach but it was also year 6 of the Kill/Claeys program. Claeys said this himself, and that was his reasoning for expecting 10 wins with a chance of winning the B1G West. Claeys absolutely deserves credit for turning the defense around and bringing the Gophers from the basement to a middle of the pack B1G program.

Babers started from scratch at a new school this year. Claeys didn't.

This was Claeys first full year as a head coach but it was also year 6 of the Kill/Claeys program. Claeys said this himself, and that was his reasoning for expecting 10 wins with a chance of winning the B1G West. Claeys absolutely deserves credit for turning the defense around and bringing the Gophers from the basement to a middle of the pack B1G program.

Babers started from scratch at a new school this year. Claeys didn't.

"8 to 10" wins.

Nice try though, particularly the way you slipped it into an otherwise reasonable post.

Top Bottom