Did Florida and Miami coach searches fare better than Minnesota?

Handsome Pete

Wartime Hero Fool
Reaction score
Well, here are the apparent results of the coaching searches so far:

Florida- Will Muschamp (Defensive Coordinator- Texas Longhorns)
Miami- Al Golden (HC- Temple)
Minnesota- Jerry Kill (HC- Northern Illinois)
Indiana- Kevin Wilson (Offensive Coordinator- Oklahoma Sooners)
Colorado- Jon Embree (TE coach- Washington Redskins)
Vandy?
Pitt?

In looking at this list, it appears to me that Minnesota fared at least as well as everybody on the list and perhaps better than some. The only one on here that Gophers fans even wanted was Al Golden, and I have some difficulty determining how, if at all, he is a better hire than Kill. Save Gopher Football made sure Golden wouldn't come to Minnesota but given each coach's pedigree and track record, I might even put Kill slightly ahead of Golden.

Does anybody get the sense that the agents' pool heard rumblings during our search that Pitt, Florida, or even other schools were going to open up? Those potential spots may have forced a couple of our candidates to stay on the sidelines a while longer. Maybe.

EDIT- forgot Indiana. Thanks HG.

Well, here are the apparent results of the coaching searches so far:

Florida- Will Muschamp (Defensive Coordinator- Texas Longhorns)
Miami- Al Golden (HC- Temple)
Minnesota- Jerry Kill (HC- Northern Illinois)
Colorado- Jon Embree (TE coach- Washington Redskins)
Vandy?
Pitt?

In looking at this list, it appears to me that Minnesota fared at least as well as everybody on the list and perhaps better than some. The only one on here that Gophers fans even wanted was Al Golden, and I have some difficulty determining how, if at all, he is a better hire than Kill. Save Gopher Football made sure Golden wouldn't come to Minnesota but given each coach's pedigree and track record, I might even put Kill slightly ahead of Golden.

Does anybody get the sense that the agents' pool heard rumblings during our search that Pitt, Florida, or even other schools were going to open up? Those potential spots may have forced a couple of our candidates to stay on the sidelines a while longer. Maybe.

You forgot Indiana picking up Kevin Wilson.

Given that we had a something like a 60 day head start, I am not overly impressed with our effort. I hope it works out, though.

Pitt seems to have wanted Golden as well, but I would assume someone like Randy Edsall, Dana Holgorsen or Paul Rhoades are strong possibilities now. Edsall would be very good, but neither of the other two are any better or just equal to Kill in the grand scheme of things. Malzahn could be likely headed to Vandy. Again a flashy name, but not necessarily a better coach than Kill.

Also one has to remember a big name doesn't mean anything. It is all about the fit for your University.

Here is a interesting tidbit I learned last night from someone that should know at KU. Turner Gill surprisingly enough was talked about heavily by the Pitt higher ups (Pederson and Gill are friends), but Gill immediately pulled his name out of the talk. The interesting thing is Coach Kill would have been EXTREMELY high up on the coaching list to replace Coach Gill if he had taken the Pitt job. In this part of the country, it was Jerry Kill's time to likely move up the latter and Minnesota made the move first.

If you look at the list...interesting that none of the A-list types is on it...and I doubt Vandy or Pitt with get a Mullen, Peterson, Patterson either. That said...Golden never was interested in us and Muschamp would maybe have left Tx for 3 or 4 schools...and FL was one of them.

I like Kill and hope he does well...I think Edsall would have been the best we could have gotten (except for Leach) but he backed out and stayed put...Kill was the best of the MAC type coaches out there and we are lucky to have him.

That is true, it did seem in the end it was Edsall or Kill when it came to the Minnesota job. it is to be determined if Edsall backed out or not, but none the less Minnesota got themselves a very good coach that fits Minnesota. Edsall would have been a very good fit as well.

Considering the type of programs that were hiring, I think Minnesota, Indiana and Florida did a nice job and Miami and Colorado did OK.

Miami would have to be considered a much better position than MN and I think it would be hard to make an argument that Golden is better than Kill (easier to argue the opposite actually). They both went to terrible teams, in the same conferences and they both turned around their programs. Kill has turned around two other programs as well.

Colorado, well they seemed a bit too focused on making sure they got a "Colorado guy". I'm not sure that should be the most important thing when selecting a coach, but we'll see.

Colorado is in a horrible situation right now financially. So they weren't going to pay a big salary to their next head coach and decided the best way to fix their problem is to get someone that understands Colorado.

I think Indiana made a very solid hire as well. I haven't seen a hire yet that I felt was bad other than Colorado is likely going to fail regardless imho.

I think if either Minnesota or Miami would have hired Trestman, then it would have been a mistake.

Now it gets interesting as Temple, Pitt, Vandy and then whoever they steal from tries to replace their coach...we all know how much you lose with a Jan coach hire and it looks like several schools are going to be chasing coaches into January...and so many that are playing in major bowl games.

Whatever we think about Maturi...at least he didn't wait to pull the trigger on Kill...cuz Kill was getting a bump this year from someone...that's for sure.

Whatever we think about Maturi...at least he didn't wait to pull the trigger on Kill...cuz Kill was getting a bump this year from someone...that's for sure.

This is an interesting statement and one KU4LIFE made as well. Kill wasn't being mentioned (that I recall) in connection with any other jobs, which was why it seemed like he was a no-namer to so many fans. But I think that may be because Gopher fans were so fixated on the "big" names like Petersen, Mullen, et al. that other names were sort of glossed over.

We were the first job out of the chute so we thought we had inside track on the big names but the real candidates out there (for all schools) likely included Kill and we were wise to snap him up rather than dithering around waiting for Golden, Petersen, or someone else that was never going to come here.

The job I'm waiting for is the the Michigan job. If Michigan waits until the New Year, they only have to buy-out Rich-Rod for 2.5 million instead of 4 million. The talk is Harbaugh is the target, but if he says no, they will likely not mess around and hire Brady Hoke. Hoke has told the San Diego State athletic department if the Michigan job comes open and he is offered, he is gone. Told them straight to their faces he was a Michigan Man. lol

Here is a interesting aspect of that job. By waiting until the New Year your putting your recruiting at major risk. The thing is, the style of offense Rich-Rod recruits and the style that Harbaugh/Hoke recruits are totally different. Michigan losing the offensive commits aren't going to hurt them. The next Michigan head coach would likely go pillaging other teams commit lists sadly. Tough thing is, Harbaugh/Hoke would likely look for many of the same type of recruits Minnesota would in reality. Rich-Rod has a unique style of player he looks for to fit his system. Harbaugh/Hoke will resort back to the fullback/tight end/pocket passer/big receivers type of offense.

Vanderbilt made an offer to Gus Malzahn. Conflicting reports on whether or not he's already taken the job.

Just as important to Florida as getting Muschamp is that many seem to think that Muschamp is somehow going to lure Kirby Smart away from Alabama. Those two have had similar paths and have been friends for a long time. There is no possible way that the Gator's defense wouldn't be crazy good.

If I were grading here is how I would go

Florida- A+++ Anyone who would have hired Muschamp would have gotten an A+++
Minnesota- C+ Points deducted for length and underwhelming name-although a great coach
Miami- D With there history Golden is a completely underwhelming name to hire
Indiana- B- With there history they couldn't have hoped for much better
Colorado- F When you have have to ask who they hired for the 74th time it tells you all you need to know

It's always a gamble, but I think we got a good coach - as good as any of the others. We'll know more on Sept. 3.

Help me understand, I must be confused.
KFAN has been telling me that Paul Chryst was a sure fire head coach and we screwed up.
Is everyone else screwing up too? I don't see him listed with any other schools either.

I still think someone backed out on Wednesday-Saturday before Maturi went to Coach Kill. I'm rooting for our guy. He seems to be a teacher and someone players and HS coaches can trust.

We'll see if he and his guys can recruit the talent needed to win in the Big Ten. I think that will be the answer to whether or not Coach Kill gets it done here. I like that he appears to have the connection at the Juco level to plug holes fast. I was amongst the faithful who were outraged last week when Coach Kill was announced. But things have simmered and I think he's got a chance.

My only complaint now is the timing of his hire. I wish it would have been a year earlier to handle the Sean Henderson, I mean Seantrel Henderson recruitment. I think Coach Kill would have seen through that production really quick and not given them a local stage to bask in.

So far I like our guy. I also like that with Muschamp leaving Texas is left with Mack Brown and a couple ball boys for a coaching staff next year.

Harbaugh will be signed sealed and delivered to Michigan. No way does he say no.

My question is where does Texas go from here. Will Mack Brown be able to hold that program together at his age and everyone leaving?

Vandy is offering a coach that won't be available until Jan 11. Guess they don't care about recruiting.

Many of the hires are starting to go with territory and ties as criteria. I think MN did a great job in getting someone with Big Ten ties, Midwest, and wanted to be here.

There was quite a bit of fussing about Muschamp when he was announced - Florida AD Jeremy Foley did a great job keeping his name out of the press. Foley had some breaks with timing too - the Gators volleyball team played Purdue @ Texas on Friday (giving Foley a reason to be in Austin), Petersen was in Orlando last Thursday (ESPN awards show), etc.

The "downside" of that success? A lot of people convinced themselves it was going to be Stoops or Petersen ... and "therefore" Muschamp wasn't a legitimate candidate. That's fading fast as people get to know more about him. Funny thing - the Texas fan boards have probably done as much to reassure Gators fans about Muschamp as anything put out "officially" .... they've gone nuts.

Which - btw - sounds a lot like what's gone on here re: Coach Kill.

Help me understand, I must be confused.
KFAN has been telling me that Paul Chryst was a sure fire head coach and we screwed up.
Is everyone else screwing up too? I don't see him listed with any other schools either.

Rumor has it that Chryst doesn't want to be a head coach, as he doesn't like recruiting.

Just as important to Florida as getting Muschamp is that many seem to think that Muschamp is somehow going to lure Kirby Smart away from Alabama. Those two have had similar paths and have been friends for a long time. There is no possible way that the Gator's defense wouldn't be crazy good.

If I were grading here is how I would go

Florida- A+++ Anyone who would have hired Muschamp would have gotten an A+++
Minnesota- C+ Points deducted for length and underwhelming name-although a great coach
Miami- D With there history Golden is a completely underwhelming name to hire
Indiana- B- With there history they couldn't have hoped for much better
Colorado- F When you have have to ask who they hired for the 74th time it tells you all you need to know

I don't see Golden as a bad hire...he is 41, can recruit and is a great defensive minded coach and a strong disciplinarian. I think Golden will be a stud at the U and if he can find an offensive coord. that gets it done...they can win championships there.

Maturi did what he could...and Kill could be a great coach for us...time will tell...I say Incomplete for now...that said, Edsall backing out at the last minute and Maturi going straight to kill and not waiting was smart...imagine if we wait a week or two...how many are fighting for Kill's services. I think Maturi got lucky...but I'll take it.

I don't see Golden as a bad hire...he is 41, can recruit and is a great defensive minded coach and a strong disciplinarian. I think Golden will be a stud at the U and if he can find an offensive coord. that gets it done...they can win championships there.

Maturi did what he could...and Kill could be a great coach for us...time will tell...I say Incomplete for now...that said, Edsall backing out at the last minute and Maturi going straight to kill and not waiting was smart...imagine if we wait a week or two...how many are fighting for Kill's services. I think Maturi got lucky...but I'll take it.

Golden very easily could be a great hire for the U my premise was that the U is still a top tier football school in a top tier football area but they ended up getting a B list coach, in terms of how big the name was.

I will admit I don't know anything about Golden style but if he goes back to his Penn State roots(run the ball down hill) it won't fly at the U. Miami is all about flash, attitude, and swagger that can only be "The U" (there is a reason 30 for 30 did a film on The U). I don't know if Golden has the ability to pull off the swagger that is needed at The U.

All things being considered, I think MN got a coach that is really good for them and where they are at. Not sure about the rest. I do think Maturi is getting rapped for some things he really does not deserve. Though he did botch it up with the Tubby comment, at the same time he is not the one fueling all the speculation and I suspect the situation with Hoke is not all his fault either. A little of that sounded more like him being the fall guy.

BTW - I would think Miami and Florida would be schools A list coaches would be interested in, but I do not see Mullen, Peterson or Patterson or anyone else for that matter switching school. IOW this is not just a lowly MN thing...

Al Golden may be a good coach, but Miami people have to be disappointed. They initally thought John Gruden was going to be the coach. It will be interesting to see how Golden fits in with the recruits and attitudes of Da U. It is about the flash and swagger.

Yes. And seem to have been better managed as well.

Florida's possibly, but that's a different ball game entirely.

Miami, that's a tough sell for me.

Take almost all of the question marks you have for Kill and those same question marks are present with Al Golden, and he went to Miami.

How can Golden be considered a good hire? Some of the people complaining about the Kill hire bring up the fact that he only won 2 games against above 500 competition. You know how many games Golden won against MAC opponents that were above 500? Zero! That is 2 less than Kill's tenure. In fact, NIU beat Temple this year.

How can Golden be considered a good hire? Some of the people complaining about the Kill hire bring up the fact that he only won 2 games against above 500 competition. You know how many games Golden won against MAC opponents that were above 500? Zero! That is 2 less than Kill's tenure. In fact, NIU beat Temple this year.

It's a good question. If you look objectively, Golden is not necessarily a better hire but for the fact that Temple was an absolute mess before he got there (however so was SIU as has been documented) .

Yes, the vaunted "wins against above .500 teams" stat that was invented as a way to discredit coaches on this board. As has been pointed out by many, very few MAC teams end up with records above .500 because of the brutal non-conference schedules they play for revenue purposes.

Top Bottom