Did Brewster leave the cupboard completely bare?

Reaction score
Recent comments made here would leave a disinterested observer thinking that Tim Brewster left the cupboard completely bare at Minnesota. The following are examples of what people have said--repeatedly--on this message board:

Minnesota's quarterbacks are totally unproven.

The Gophers are very thin at running back and need a stud there badly.

Minnesota's offensive line is extremely suspect.

The Gophers have very, very few wide receivers.

Minnesota's defensive line is terrible.

The weakest part of the Minnesota team is their defensive backfield--and that's saying something after comments about the quarterbacks, running backs, offensive line, receiving corp and defensive line.

Who need trolls at a web site when Minnesota's most "loyal" fans are so relentlessly negative, pessimistic and cynical?

The sooner that the OL and DL get stability the rest will improve rapidly.

You will find whatever you want to find here. There are plenty of chicken littles, and plenty of blue-sky posters too... with a few moderates mixed in the middle.

And if they don't win 6 games, what then? Are you going to turn on the Gophers for not meeting your expectations? We'll find out soon enough just what talent is really there, how much of the problem was bad coaching, and how much was lack of talent. I don't think it does any good to set the bar at 6 wins for a new coach.

Changing

Who need trolls at a web site when Minnesota's most "loyal" fans are so relentlessly negative, pessimistic and cynical?

Coach Kill is trying to change the Minnesota's football culture and it appears Lonely is trying to do same thing here. I woud suggest that coach Kill has the easier job. LOL

Minnesota's quarterbacks are totally unproven.
How is this not true? Can you point to the QB on the roster with actual game experience leading the offense for even one full game? MG is a stud athlete and I'm excited to see what he can do. But there is nothing wrong with noting that his play leading Kill's offense is a question mark until he proves otherwise.
The Gophers are very thin at running back and need a stud there badly.
I wouldn't agree with this. I do think we're lacking a proven "stud" back, but we're not thin at the position.
Minnesota's offensive line is extremely suspect.
I love how you take people's concerns with the youthful parts of the line and start pretending that everyone is bashing the whole line as suspect.
The Gophers have very, very few wide receivers.
Very few PROVEN wide receivers. Again, how is this not true? The second leading receiver is moving to QB and the next best proven receiver may or may not be healed up from a knee injury. The other receivers with more extensive experience moved to CB and transferred. I think there is talent at the WR spot, but again, there is nothing wrong with noting that there is a seriously lack of depth at the position when it comes to experience.
Minnesota's defensive line is terrible.
No, just not very deep. Also, it doesn't help when one of your starting DT's (and one of the better players on the line) blows off school and quits.
The weakest part of the Minnesota team is their defensive backfield--and that's saying something after comments about the quarterbacks, running backs, offensive line, receiving corp and defensive line.

You're either an idiot who mistakes concerns about experience and depth with accusations of crappiness or you're trolling. Which is it?

Coach Kill is trying to change the Minnesota's football culture and it appears Lonely is trying to do same thing here. I woud suggest that coach Kill has the easier job. LOL

I'm not going to disagree with Lonely and say there are not overly negative people here. But he's lumping legitimate concerns with the team in with the nonsense and then freaking out about how everyone is a troll but him.

Thanks, Killjoy and Eagangopherfan. You know how much I hate using this phrase, but you two "get it."

If I got GoAupher to actually reply to comments and concerns in a detailed manner, I'm proud of myself. But since GoAupher has so many insights into the talent levels at Minnesota, how many games does he think they can win next year? Just asking.

There's absolutely nothing "trollish" about people who support the coach and the team, but think the Gophers proably won't win 6 games next year. It's the opposite. How many games we think the Gophers will win doesn't affect how many games the Gophers will actually win.

Better report back in a timely manner, hop to it. Apparently, someone got elected boss in this message board.

I'm just asking, RodentRampage. By the way, do you actually have any thoughts about how the Gophers will do next year?

The running backs are fine we have 3 redshirt freshman coming in if we can get them experience with Deleon and Duane they will do fine. How many receivers do you want we have 3 that have experience, it's not like Kill is taking us back to the days of the spread. Our O-line won't be great but in 2 years it will be top half of the big 10 because of all the experience those guys will get. The defensive backfield will be fine with the addition of Beal and the experience they gained from last year. So no I don't think Brewster left the cupboard bare. But that is probably just the inner-homer in me.

If I got GoAupher to actually reply to comments and concerns in a detailed manner, I'm proud of myself. But since GoAupher has so many insights into the talent levels at Minnesota, how many games does he think they can win next year? Just asking.

Did you read the part where I said I'd like to see how they adjust to Kill's system? Ya know, make a judgment with some actual information first? No? Well then I'll humor you (and will revise later if warranted). 5 games.

EDIT: I realize I put the "won't guess until after Spring" comment in another thread. So apologies.

Since I took the time to respond in detail perhaps you'd care to do the same to the points I raised about your ranting? Or are you not interested in an actual discussion?

If you'll look at my thread, "Why can't Minnesota win six games next year?" you'll see that I was way ahead of you in furnishing analysis. But to repeat myself, for your sake:

1. Much better coaching will result in Minnesota playing their best football in November, as all good team do. That should give the Gophers wins at Northwestern and at home against Illinois.

2. Minnesota is deep but inexperienced at quarterback. Kill's system (patterned after the one at Boise State) should maximize the effectiveness of any of the quarterbacks. Gray can even be rotated in and out and cause huge problems for most defenses.

3. What Minnesota lacks in top tier talent at running back is made up for by experience and depth. They have two very reliable veterans returning and, apparently, a tremendous RS freshman in Edwards.

4. Minnesota has one great wide receiver and at least one very good tight end. The rest of their receiving corps is obviously pretty thin.

5. The offensive line is inexperienced but, from all I've heard, quite talented. It also could be relatively deep which will give players breathers and help when the inevitable injuries come.

6. The Gophers have more raw talent on defense than at any time since Mason came to Minnesota, that's for sure. They were bad last year because they were so young. The defense secondary is the area most suspect and thin but very, very few college teams have good defensive secondaries. Minnesota's front seven will be tough. They sure were against Iowa.

7. New elements added by Kill's systems include taking more chances on defense to put pressure on opposing quarterbacks. Kill also has a great track record in terms of developing special teams. Northern Illinois blocked over twenty punts, for example, in the years Kill was there. I think the Gophers have the overall talent levels to field very good special teams. They have done a great job of returning kicks in recent years.

8. I strongly believe Minnesota will win at least six games next year.

How is this not true? Can you point to the QB on the roster with actual game experience leading the offense for even one full game? MG is a stud athlete and I'm excited to see what he can do. But there is nothing wrong with noting that his play leading Kill's offense is a question mark until he proves otherwise.

I wouldn't agree with this. I do think we're lacking a proven "stud" back, but we're not thin at the position.

I love how you take people's concerns with the youthful parts of the line and start pretending that everyone is bashing the whole line as suspect.

Very few PROVEN wide receivers. Again, how is this not true? The second leading receiver is moving to QB and the next best proven receiver may or may not be healed up from a knee injury. The other receivers with more extensive experience moved to CB and transferred. I think there is talent at the WR spot, but again, there is nothing wrong with noting that there is a seriously lack of depth at the position when it comes to experience.

No, just not very deep. Also, it doesn't help when one of your starting DT's (and one of the better players on the line) blows off school and quits.

You're either an idiot who mistakes concerns about experience and depth with accusations of crappiness or you're trolling. Which is it?

He's an idiot and a troll. This guy is trying to rack up the posts to give himself credibility. He's nothing but a Hogeye troublemaking troublemaker.

No, highwayman, you're an idiot and a troll. So there! That should advance the discussion as most of you comments do--or don't.

Hey, highwayman, why don't you start a thread that deals with a substantive issue related to Gopher football?

Lonely~
I agree with all 8 points. You should stick with putting out these kinds of posts rather than lumping any and all critics together under broad statements. This is good stuff.

For me, I'm waiting until Spring to see if this team is capable of the good stuff from #1, #2, #5, #6, and #7. I believe Kill will get things going the right direction, but I'm going to try and temper my enthusiasm for this season until the team has had a chance to spend significant time under his staff first.

I don't think you're crazy for thinking we can win 6. We can definitely win 6. For me, I'm just expecting the transition to be more difficult than you are expecting.

highwayman;363615[B said:
]He's an idiot and a troll.[/B] This guy is trying to rack up the posts to give himself credibility. He's nothing but a Hogeye troublemaking troublemaker.

See, I don't think so. I think that he sometimes goes over the top and starts lumping any critics together. But there is no way a troll or Iowa fan puts up a post that makes the 8 points that Lonely just did. Those are all well thought out, optimistic takes on this team. Too optimistic? We'll see. But not the post of a troll.

You honestly think we are going to win 6 games next year? I think you are putting way too much stock in Kill turning the ship around within a period of 8 months. He may be a good coach, but that drastic of a turnaround within a program rarely happens, especially at a place like Minnesota where we are not used to doing very well. In 2 or 3 years, we will see the fruits of Kills labor pay off. This year there are going to be a lot of disappointed fans.

Hey, highwayman, why don't you start a thread that deals with a substantive issue related to Gopher football?

You seem to be under the misapprehension that starting 20 threads per day is normal and welcome behavior.

?

You honestly think we are going to win 6 games next year? I think you are putting way too much stock in Kill turning the ship around within a period of 8 months. He may be a good coach, but that drastic of a turnaround within a program rarely happens, especially at a place like Minnesota where we are not used to doing very well. In 2 or 3 years, we will see the fruits of Kills labor pay off. This year there are going to be a lot of disappointed fans.

JackiO...seems likely we should win three of four non conference games. Right? We won two Big Ten games last year. Winning three is impossible? Or even improbable?

Isn't six wins where we have perennially been since the aberration of last year? Last year at this time and summer pre season a number of people felt we'd be ok this past season but really good this coming year. That changed for some people basically because we lost two non conference games and our defense looked horrible. We have more talent than we have had and I believe we have better coaching. Returning to six wins after spring and summer football doesn't seem like it is unrealistic to me. If I was Coach Kill I'd be offended if someone expected less of me.

If you read my original threads, you'll note that I came on this message board as a long-time Gopher fan (over 50 years with 37 of them in Iowa--try being a Gopher fan in Iowa for one week some time). I posted very, very positive comments about Jerry Kill and got snarked repeatedly.

I was told to get "tougher" and treat this board like an verbal fight in a bar. Negativity still reigned and I reacted against it. This board doesn't need trolls, because so many of the posters are quite negative and cynical about Gopher football.

Take the poster, Highwayman. One-third of his comments are negative, one-third accuse people who disagree with him of being trolls and one-third are mildly, mildly positive. Yet on 1-29-11 he said, "Some day, rather soon, a ticket to a Gopher football game will be hard to come by."

Why did Highwayman say that? He's never backed that statement up with anything positive to say about the Gophers. I have. I think Minnesota will improve tremendously next year and be in a position to sneak up on teams--especially Nebraska, Iowa and Wisconsin at home.

But where are posters like Highwayman coming from? Why will Gopher football tickets be hard to come by soon when--according to many here--there's no talent on the squad and the coaching staff is totally unproven? I merely looking for substance here. Anyone can snark repeatedly and call everybody who disagrees with them a troll.

I do not get the inexperienced QB point one bit. Show me a team that is replacing a 4 yr starter at QB that (if memory serves me correctly) never missed a game due to injury with a MORE experienced QB than one who has seen the field on occasion at QB for 2 seasons and was a starter the year before assuming starting QB responsibilities?

If you read my original threads, you'll note that I came on this message board as a long-time Gopher fan (over 50 years with 37 of them in Iowa--try being a Gopher fan in Iowa for one week some time). I posted very, very positive comments about Jerry Kill and got snarked repeatedly.

I was told to get "tougher" and treat this board like an verbal fight in a bar. Negativity still reigned and I reacted against it. This board doesn't need trolls, because so many of the posters are quite negative and cynical about Gopher football.

Take the poster, Highwayman. One-third of his comments are negative, one-third accuse people who disagree with him of being trolls and one-third are mildly, mildly positive. Yet on 1-29-11 he said, "Some day, rather soon, a ticket to a Gopher football game will be hard to come by."

Why did Highwayman say that? He's never backed that statement up with anything positive to say about the Gophers. I have. I think Minnesota will improve tremendously next year and be in a position to sneak up on teams--especially Nebraska, Iowa and Wisconsin at home.

But where are posters like Highwayman coming from? Why will Gopher football tickets be hard to come by soon when--according to many here--there's no talent on the squad and the coaching staff is totally unproven? I merely looking for substance here. Anyone can snark repeatedly and call everybody who disagrees with them a troll.

Seriously, have you experienced a head injury or something. Your ramblings are all over the board and hard to follow. You complain about the board calling those who disagree with them trolls and then reference the board not needing trolls and calling Highwayman a troll. What is your obsession with him?

Jesus, dude - settle down. You've been posting here for about two weeks. Don't pretend like you know the tenor of the board or the nature of the posters therein from your meager posting experience. You're like a Wisconsin fan who likes to pretend that Wisconsin football didn't exist before 1993.

Top Bottom