Dick Vitale sounds off: This transferring all over the place is going to destroy our great game

I think the stipend is now $1,500-$2,000/month, which doesn't go very far after rent.
My understand is that full scholarships either pay the costs of on-campus housing in full, or they cut the athlete an equivalent amount of money, ostensibly to be used to pay for rent in off-campus housing.

And that was true even before all the full-cost of attendance stuff got going. That FCOA boost, is now just pure extra money on top, that essentially just shows up in their student accounts and thus gets reimbursed to them as cash. I don't know if it is a monthly check, or a lump sum. I would hope the former, that would be much smarter. But I don't know.

I would doubt that all of the meals are covered at the training table, especially out of season.
Agreed. I suspect the normal "full" scholarship include a 15 meals per week plan, and that the training table at the Athlete's Villiage is treated in the system exactly the same as any dining hall, simply just that only athletes have access to it. But you still have to swipe your card to get in.

In season, particularly during training camp, when the team probably all eats together, they probably don't have to swipe anything and just get waived in, with the team footing the bill.

Are all of the health care costs covered in the event of sport related injury or illness? Are the medical costs covered if the athletes injury requires care past eligibility?
More great questions.

Would guess fully covered for initial care/surgery required for a torn ACL, rehab, etc.

Once you've left the team/school, would guess you're on your own.

I'm not advocating unbridled movement at all. I think a one time right to transfer without sitting out seems fair. A second transfer means sitting out a year.

I do have distate for the people who have profited massively from the current system complaining about potential changes that benefit the players.

I'm not advocating unbridled movement at all. I think a one time right to transfer without sitting out seems fair. A second transfer means sitting out a year.

I do have distate for the people who have profited massively from the current system complaining about potential changes that benefit the players.

Yeah, I think the game probably gets worse but it also rubs me the wrong way when the folks who made hand over fist for years are the ones complaining.

As to your first point, I agree with you. The one thing to keep in mind though is that the free year is going to make for a TON of grad transfers in the next few years. This will be due to players being pushed out post-grad, players having 2-3 years left post-grad, etc. The movement won't get back to normal until about 3-4 years from now.

They are not all complaining. Many have been at the forefront of being pro player. Several are pushing for the free transfer if the coach leaves for any reason. The crime of highly paid coaches is the ones that got paid a lot, never won anything and were never in demand. I do not begrudge the highly paid successful winners as they have turned down more to often stay where they are. Some of these guys have raised hundreds of millions of dollars for their school.

Last edited:

They are not all complaining. Many have been at the forefront of being pro player. Several are pushing for the free transfer if the coach leaves for any reason. The crime of highly paid coaches is the ones that got paid a lot, never won anything and were never in demand. I do not begrudge the highly paid successful winners as they have turned down more to often stay where they are. Some of these guys have raised hundreds of millions of dollars for their school.
Agreed. I like how Jay Bilas has been taking on the NCAA recently.

Top Bottom