Dexter Foreman

victor04

Reaction score
I realize he has yet to see the field for any meaningful snaps, or really any snaps at all at QB, but could he ever see playing time? Or even more so is he even on the team with a scholly anymore? He has been an odd case for the past few years.

He practiced in the fall. He gets minimal reps. He gets even less conversation or mention. He doesn't look woefully out of place.
"odd case" indeed

I've only seen him play a bit and he isn't completely out of place. However, every year the FR seem to be better than him. I have no idea what the reason, but the staff doesn't even seem to think of him as a possibility. I remember a couple years ago when QBs were going down, there was talk of converting KJ Maye back to QB in lieu of playing Foreman.

He is still on scholarship and he doesn't seem to be in the staff's plans at all at QB.

Appreciate the info, who knows he may end up getting some reps finally, even more so since he is a redshirt junior, and we have so little proven depth at the QB position for the upcoming year.

I always thought he was supposed to be a good athlete, and if they felt he couldn't play QB, they'd try him somewhere else.

Fumbles. I watched him in the spring game last year and once he finally got the offense moving, he fumbled. I don't think he played after that.

I've been thinking he was one of the ones Kill thinks of when he says that when he was filling out his first class (a mixture of his and Brew's), he was grabbing people in a hurry and didn't have the time and opportunity to properly evaluate the recruits - so he wound up with a couple he might not have taken.

There has to be a cure for fumbleitis... Maybe small hands?

Fumbles. I watched him in the spring game last year and once he finally got the offense moving, he fumbled. I don't think he played after that.

That hasn't stopped Mitch. Must be another reason.

I always thought he was supposed to be a good athlete, and if they felt he couldn't play QB, they'd try him somewhere else.

I'm not trying to bash the kid, but his problem is two-fold. First, he isn't a very good QB. Second, he isn't quite the athlete we had thought he would be.

I don't think he's athletic enough to play WR, RB or even S and he is buried in the depth chart at QB. He will be a good teammate and hopefully make an impact running the scout offense effectively.

I'm not trying to bash the kid, but his problem is two-fold. First, he isn't a very good QB. Second, he isn't quite the athlete we had thought he would be.

I don't think he's athletic enough to play WR, RB or even S and he is buried in the depth chart at QB. He will be a good teammate and hopefully make an impact running the scout offense effectively.

There is so much to be said about highlight recruiting videos.

You'd have to see the full body of work and spend time observing the recruit first hand and talking to people in the know when evaluating kids which I think is one of the strengths of a coaching staff who have been together for a long time.

Unfortunately, Coach Kill coming into the Gophers in late December 2010 had to move fast on what recruits where available late in the game. He also honored Brewster's commitments. This is the case IMHO where the coaching staff took a calculated gamble late in the recruiting season.

He had decent stats from HS. This does not always translate to success at the college level. You'll have a few duds for every gem like Murray and Thompson.

That is why I am delighted with Coach Kill's PWO program to offset any disappointments on some scholarship players. Some kids are late bloomers and blossom in a great strength & conditioning program. Others have intangibles that make a great college football player that doesn't show up on HS stat sheets.

Give credit to Coach Kill for honoring the kids commitment and making sure he gets a good college education. I am sure he contributes to the program even if it is the scout team.

This is what makes the Gophers attractive to a lot of parents. They know the Gophers aren't going to BS them, and they know the coaching staff take care of the kids.

There is so much to be said about highlight recruiting videos.

You'd have to see the full body of work and spend time observing the recruit first hand and talking to people in the know when evaluating kids which I think is one of the strengths of a coaching staff who have been together for a long time.

Unfortunately, at the time of his recruitment it seems like there was pressure to fill bodies. Coach Kill had to move fast to fill bodies coming in late with the Gophers. This is the case IMHO where the coaching staff took a calculated gamble with what is available late in the recruiting season.

He had decent stats from HS, and this does not always translate to success at the college level. You'll have a few duds for every gem like Murray and Thompson.

That is why I am delighted with Coach Kill's PWO program. Some kids are late bloomers. Others have intangibles that make a great college football player that doesn't show up on HS stat sheets.

Give credit to Coach Kill for honoring the kids commitment and making sure he gets a good college education. I am sure he contributes to the program even if it is the scout team.

I consider grabbing Parra as PWO as the make up for giving Foreman a last minute scholly. After Foreman is gone he can move the Scholly to Parra and all will be right with the world.

Foreman was added in June. I think Foreman, Cobb, and wide receiver Malcolm Moulton were added after signing day during Kills first year. Kill probably saw some holes on the team when he got here and thought it'd be worth it to roll the dice on a few patches. Hit big on Cobb and, Moulton actually played a decent amount.

Foreman was added in June. I think Foreman, Cobb, and wide receiver Malcolm Moulton were added after signing day during Kills first year. Kill probably saw some holes on the team when he got here and thought it'd be worth it to roll the dice on a few patches. Hit big on Cobb and, Moulton actually played a decent amount.

Moulton is one guy I could never figure out. He showed flashes of being a good player and then suddenly he couldn't catch and fell off the face of the Earth. On Foreman yeah he was a low risk flyer that just didn't pan out, happens all the time in recruiting. Still too many fans that see an athletic kid on a highlight video and just assume that means he is destined for greatness, there is so much more to it.

I wonder if Kill will invite him back for a 5th year? I personally have no issue either way. The way I personally look at it, if you commit to a kid you commit for 4 years. If they aren't helping the team enough after 4 years then I have no issue not renewing the scholarship. Before 4 years I think is cheesy (e.g. Alabama). But based on Alipate, I won't be surprised if Foreman does get a 5th year.

While I appreciate the theory, I don't believe that's the issue at all. He's just not good enough.

We need good players with talent on the scout team too. Just cuz he isn't good enough to play on Saturdays in the B1G doesn't mean he isn't more valuable to the team at QB than some other position.

Top Bottom