Devon Wright a Gopher!!!

MRJ

Reaction score
Rivals is reporting that Devon Wright committed to the Gophers this afternoon. I'm not a subscriber, but it is listed on the GopherIllustrated front page as of now.

This is a very nice pickup in my opinion. He got some really nice reviews by a few services. ESPN gave him a 79 and I think he's a three-star prospect according to Rivals. Always nice to bring in another kid from Florida with talent.

according to Rivals he has offers from Michigan, Wisconsin, Mich ST, Uconn, Rutgers.....

A nice replacement to Huff. So how many more commitments can we get after this one? Obviously we would make room for Nelson or Henderson but what about allen and the DE from Colorado?

6'1" 185lbs, 4.5. Nice to have this guy in the mix at RB. With that frame, he could be our guy!!

A player told me that during his visit Wright and other recruits introduced themselves to the team. In his introduction, Wright committed to being a Gopher. That sounds pretty firm. The players gave him some "extra shout-outs."

Maybe he'll be interested in starting.

Nah. He'll want to sit on the bench. LOL.

Seriously, good get. The more I read about this kid after Huff's decision to de-commit, the more I thought he might be the guy we're looking for. I've seen him listed between 6-0 and 6-2 and between 180 and 190. Get him up over 200 and we may have a solid between-the-tackles option.

Huff wasn't even a very traditional running back, and Wright has a much more impressive offer list imo so great get and nice trade-off. This is a case where the rivals star system mean little.

JackiO, I agree completely. I would even go out to say that he is an upgrade to Huff for our system....(disclaimer- If Huff has a year that LaMichael James had, this comment did not exist)

The thing I find odd about Huff is that Rivals had him as a 4-star and Scout as a two-star. I see a lot of guys go up or down a star given the particular service doing the grading, but I can't think of too many guys who have a two-star difference.

Not having seen either of these guys play, I can't say which one will be the better college player, but from what I've read, I would say that Wright is more suited to running in the pro-set offense Brewster is trying to establish.

50 Pounder: "I would say that Wright is more suited to running in the pro-set offense Brewster is trying to establish."

Is that what the offense is called?

Good news as the RB recruiting during Brewsters stay has been on the blah side. Maybe that will all change with the 10 class.

Nice! I've got to agree with some of the others, I think he's a better fit for the system than Huff. That 79 rating by ESPN is pretty impressive too, that makes him the highest ranked player to commit to Minnesota (according to ESPN anyways).

Fisch's Funny Book, Give up the Rock, Who Will Screw Up Next, Don't Look At Me..... may all be fitting.

No matter its name, I doubt there is a CFB team out there that would try to duplicate it!!!

Yes, for what it's worth ESPN ranks Wright as our #1 high school recruit at this point. That's pretty strong! Wright is the 2 time Broward county rushing leader and racked up those numbers against top competition, while playing on a crap team. Sounds like a really good kid on top of it all. Humble, polite and obviously...patient.

Welcome aboard DW!!

Wow! A solid recruiting year before Wright and Green has now turned into the strongest recruiting class we've had since Murray W last went down South.

march 2009: insidetheu.com - an espn miami affiliate site calls devon wright.....

"one of south florida's best."

they also go on to say: "taravella RB devon wright led broward county in rushing last season as a junior. even though a number of other backs receive more attention, wright is one to pay close attention to

considering the number of top college and nfl quality backs that south florida - and in particular the miami region - puts out year after year that is saying a lot. here is to hoping they are right about wright!

:)

This is huge! I like him more than Huff. Not just saying that. A little more size than Huff but still small enough to have shift and speed. To boot, he has a better offer list than Huff. We all know this is a better indicator than Rivals Rankings -- and he has offers from MSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, Wake, BC, Connecticut, and Rutgers. Those are all solid programs. He is one of my favorite commits already, among Jimmy Gjere, Chris Hawkins and Lamonte Edwards.

Nice write up on Devon from last spring in the Miami Herald.

Especially like the following quote: "he does not have a group of future college stars blocking for him. But Wright did more than any running back last year in the regular season." Precisely the skill set we need...;)

Per ESPN insider recruiting:

"Minnesota has landed a pledge from three-star running back Devon Wright of Taravella (Coral Springs, Fla.) for the Class of 2010.

Wright selected the Gophers over scholarship offers from Boston College, Purdue, Wake Forest, Michigan, Michigan State, Rutgers, Wisconsin, Indiana, UConn and Florida International.

ESPN's Billy Tucker said of the news, "Tim Brewster can judge talent and we feel he has an under-the-radar back coming to Minnesota in the highly productive, highly versatile Wright. They stretched down to Florida to get him and with that got a RB with a very good speed, elusiveness and quickness through the hole."

"What we really like about Wright is his body composition; he is solidly built, low to the ground and is capable of carrying the load and being an every-down back for the Golden Gophers. No need to substitute for him on third downs, Wright has great hands and polished receiving skills."

If you're a Minnesota fan, this is a great pickup; Wright is definitely a player we feel will make an impact as a Big Ten running back during his career."

The 5-foot-11, 190-pound standout rushed for 1,835 yards and scored 18 touchdowns as a senior. During his junior campaign, he carried 214 times for 1,622 yards (6.7 average) and 19 scores."

Top Bottom