Devante Fudge

It matters if you are interested in knowing how many schollies MN has to give to the coming class.

Exactly. It's also matters if you are interested in if the coaches thought enough of the player to give them a scholarship.

Not to get too critical of you guys, because you're good posters, but really? It really matters to you?

I tend to only care if the guy can play football and if the coaches can find a place for him. I also have no control over the scholarship numbers, but Kill does, so it really only matters to him. I think he's got it figured out, so I really don't care about that.

The whole scholarship/walk-on angst thing seems to be a real topic-blaster here, and I don't totally get it (the angst part)...the coaches have it figured out.

Not to get too critical of you guys, because you're good posters, but really? It really matters to you?

I tend to only care if the guy can play football and if the coaches can find a place for him. I also have no control over the scholarship numbers, but Kill does, so it really only matters to him. I think he's got it figured out, so I really don't care about that.

The whole scholarship/walk-on angst thing seems to be a real topic-blaster here, and I don't totally get it (the angst part)...the coaches have it figured out.

In the end, no, I don't care that much because I'm not a huge recruitnik. But if someone is able to tell me so I can mentally file it away to keep in mind as recruiting heats up (and as I pay more attention to it) I'll appreciate it. And the more recruiting minded folks around here would definitely care I suspect.

What angst are you talking about anyhow? I've reread every post in this thread. I don't see angst. I see some folks simply wondering what he would be. Some wondering that with enthusiasm, but no angst (which suggests that people are upset that he is/or is not on scholly or upset that they don't know the answer...none of which is present in the thread). I think you're letting some wider discussions cloud your view of what people are asking here in this thread.

I'm just surprised that Nathan B. Forest High School isn't in Lynchburg, North Carolina.

I care about it as much as I care about most of these off-season topics.

I don't think anyone who asked whether he was on scholarship or walking on had any angst in their queries. I know I didn't have any angst. I trust Coach Kill, if he likes the kid and he offered, sounds good. If this kid is a walk-on, all the better. If he's a walk-on, it gives us another scholarship in a small recruiting class. It is also just generally interesting to me if the kid's offer (if he is a scholarship player) came really recently.

That said, I'm not like worrying that Kill doesn't have a good grasp on the situation. I have constantly said that I think the scholarship numbers work themselves out and their tends to be more openings than you think (in June). I was just curious, to see how this next recruiting class could pan out.

I care about it as much as I care about most of these off-season topics.

I don't think anyone who asked whether he was on scholarship or walking on had any angst in their queries. I know I didn't have any angst. I trust Coach Kill, if he likes the kid and he offered, sounds good. If this kid is a walk-on, all the better. If he's a walk-on, it gives us another scholarship in a small recruiting class. It is also just generally interesting to me if the kid's offer (if he is a scholarship player) came really recently.

That said, I'm not like worrying that Kill doesn't have a good grasp on the situation. I have constantly said that I think the scholarship numbers work themselves out and their tends to be more openings than you think (in June). I was just curious, to see how this next recruiting class could pan out.

Just to piggy back on what Bob is saying I think it's also interesting if he is a walk on because to me that indicates an extra level of salesmanship on Kill's part and an encouraging sign in the walk on program. Kill's talked a lot about really ramping up the walk on program and I think Fudge coming to the U is a sign of that.

That said welcome Fudge!

that indicates an extra level of salesmanship on Kill's part and an encouraging sign in the walk on program. Kill's talked a lot about really ramping up the walk on program and I think Fudge coming to the U is a sign of that

I disagree. When someone signs up for something shortly before the deadline, if I know nothing else, it appears to be a sign of desperation. My theory is that Fudge had no offers to even walk-on, and he was selling himself to anyone who would listen (sending out tapes, having his coach reach out to staffs, etc.). Kill (and/or someone on his staff) liked what they saw, and took the sale. My default assumption is that Fudge was selling himself to the U, not the other way around. You could be right, and I could be right, but I'm just saying that was my default assumption.

I disagree. When someone signs up for something shortly before the deadline, if I know nothing else, it appears to be a sign of desperation. My theory is that Fudge had no offers to even walk-on, and he was selling himself to anyone who would listen (sending out tapes, having his coach reach out to staffs, etc.). Kill (and/or someone on his staff) liked what they saw, and took the sale. My default assumption is that Fudge was selling himself to the U, not the other way around. You could be right, and I could be right, but I'm just saying that was my default assumption.

Default assumptions have lots of assumed faults. :)

That's certainly a possibility, and one I hadn't thought of. Now that I think about it, it is probably more likely the scenario. I still contend that the end result is a benefit to the team. A bigger walk on program means more bodies in practice, and etc and etc.

I still contend that the end result is a benefit to the team. A bigger walk on program means more bodies in practice, and etc and etc.

You are 100% correct, sir!

(Btw, not sure if I've ever told you, but that Bobby Cox cover is awesome. Probably the only time a Gopher was on the cover?)

Curious if he had been recruited earlier in the year and had been through the normal admissions process, or if this all happened just recently. Is it possible for any (non-scholarship athlete) incoming freshman to just apply for admission in late May/June and be accepted to enroll immediately?

Curious if he had been recruited earlier in the year and had been through the normal admissions process, or if this all happened just recently. Is it possible for any (non-scholarship athlete) incoming freshman to just apply for admission in late May/June and be accepted to enroll immediately?

I'm sure the athletic department would have no problem expediting stuff through admissions.

You are 100% correct, sir!

(Btw, not sure if I've ever told you, but that Bobby Cox cover is awesome. Probably the only time a Gopher was on the cover?)

Thanks! Yeah I'm pretty sure it is. My quick google didn't turn up any other Gopher SI covers. Hopefully it won't be long before we get another cover, hell even a co-ed on the swim suit issue would suffice!

I suspect that he is a late qualifier. When Hinjosa didn't make it he was already lined up for the slot. I think it's just an example of the quality of preparation of the staff. He may be a bit of a academic risk, which caused other schools to back off, time will tell.

you are sooooooo wrong. Kill would not "waste" a spot. Roster spots: He's way smarter than me. Way, way smarter that anyone else.

you are sooooooo wrong. Kill would not "waste" a spot. Roster spots: He's way smarter than me. Way, way smarter that anyone else.

What the hell are you talking about? Who said or even remotely insinuated that?

I wonder what the deal is. Fudge already is no longer listed on the Gophers' 2012 roster. What was your favorite Devante Fudge moment?

Was Fudge ever listed on the roster? Was the Samoan from River Falls ever listed on the roster?

Was Fudge ever listed on the roster? Was the Samoan from River Falls ever listed on the roster?

I wouldn't read too much into the fact he is not listed on the roster but who knows? Augustine Pupungatoa who was also on the "Moving Day" video is also not on the roster. Maybe that why the took down the video.

Oh the trials and tribulations of the unknown.

Top Bottom