Det News: Devin Gardner 'kind of just panics a lot,' Minnesota player tells paper

Det News: Devin Gardner 'kind of just panics a lot,' Minnesota player tells p...

i don't know why so many GHers are freaking out about their comments, if you look in the comment section of that article multiple Michigan fans agree with Cedric! Gardener has thrown 8 interceptions in 4 games, many Mich fans want to bench him for this game, also when people say "we are not in a position to talk trash, we got beat down by Iowa" its not like Shede and Cedric were saying that we are the superior team and are all cocky about it, they are just saying that Michigan isn't that much better then us then everybody thinks, they still know that they are the underdogs and Mich is the more talented team, they didn't have any rub it in you're face comments, they are just defending their team and their chances in this and saying that it won't be a blowout

you would think some people on Gopherhole think that Akron and UCONN are better then us by their reaction to Shede's comment

So why don't you ask Gardner and the rest of the team what they thought about the quotes? I would wager that it is bulletin board material for them.

I personally wouldn't have made the comments, but these are no "death blow." I don't think MI will play better due to words in a newspaper. If they win it will have much more to do with talent and execution. I never found external factors to be motivating when competing athletically. Fans just look for stuff like this to help quantify the unquantifiable.

Thompson answer: Because the defenses are playing well.

Shede answer: because we are working hard.

Now they've created headlines.

It's easy to answer things correctly when you're sitting at home typing it on a computer. It's a little different when you're 18-22 and you have a microphone in your face.

Once in awhile guys are going to say things they didn't mean or shouldn't have said.

It's easy to answer things correctly when you're sitting at home typing it on a computer. It's a little different when you're 18-22 and you have a microphone in your face.

Once in awhile guys are going to say things they didn't mean or shouldn't have said.

Someone needs to teach these kids that the media is not their friend. The players don't owe them answers. The players don't owe them anything because it will always be used against them. The sooner kids realize that, the less of these issues that will arise.

It would be cool to see the Gophers run out and plant the M flag at midfield BEFORE the game just to spice things up a bit more on Saturday.

With the way these guys "performed" last time out, they should really just shut up with this kind of stuff. Just makes them look like they haven't got a clue.

So because they lost previous games they aren't allowed to answer questions? I have never understood the attitude of "you suck so shut up" or "win a game before you can talk!". I don't see any problem whatsoever with what they said. Like RedPoo said you need to consider the context the answers were given in. Even if they just came out and said it, which I have no problem with, who cares? If Michigan needs "bullet board" material (and I use that phrase loosely here) to beat the Gophers then they really have big problems. Besides, the only people that would argue for Michigan being elite would be Michigan fans themselves. Aside form Notre Dame, they have played like a "regular team" .Hageman called them "human". That means they can be beat, which is clearly evident in their games against Akron and Conn. He's simply saying that they are not Alabama, or Oregon, or LSU, etc. I can think of maybe 5 teams in football right now that I would truly consider "elite" and Michigan sure isn't one of them.

As for Michigan's impressive win over Notre Dame, the Irish are currently 3-2, losing by two possessions to the only 2 ranked teams they have played (one of which was Michigan). Those wins are over 0-4 Temple, a one touchdown victory at 1-3 Purdue, and a 4 point win over an average Michigan State. Notre Dame is also no longer ranked.

I wouldn't have made such comments myself, but I'm glad that our players aren't still sulking over the Iowa game and debating whether we'll lose by 4 touchdowns or 5. Back up the talk and win back the jug! Go Gophers!

Someone needs to teach these kids that the media is not their friend. The players don't owe them answers. The players don't owe them anything because it will always be used against them. The sooner kids realize that, the less of these issues that will arise.

I agree it was probably stupid for these guys to say these things. I was just pointing out that it is much easier for us sitting at home on our computer to answer each question correctly.

So because they lost previous games they aren't allowed to answer questions? I have never understood the attitude of "you suck so shut up" or "win a game before you can talk!". I don't see any problem whatsoever with what they said. Like RedPoo said you need to consider the context the answers were given in. Even if they just came out and said it, which I have no problem with, who cares? If Michigan needs "bullet board" material (and I use that phrase loosely here) to beat the Gophers then they really have big problems. Besides, the only people that would argue for Michigan being elite would be Michigan fans themselves. Aside form Notre Dame, they have played like a "regular team" .Hageman called them "human". That means they can be beat, which is clearly evident in their games against Akron and Conn. He's simply saying that they are not Alabama, or Oregon, or LSU, etc. I can think of maybe 5 teams in football right now that I would truly consider "elite" and Michigan sure isn't one of them.

No. They're supposed to answer with contrition that they have to play better and go with that only. Trying the knock the opposition, which has superior talent all across the board, doesn't help at all. In order to have a shot, we were going to need Michigan to overlook us a bit and that just went out the window.

You can listen to the audio here: http://www.tout.com/m/ldzjnn?ref=twvocnk2

As expected, when it is put into context, it wasn't really trash talk.

You can clearly tell disrespect wasn't even close to his tone there (at least in Thompson's case, Shede's isn't there). Plus, all the compliments he gives afterward are omitted in the article. Shows you how they can easily manipulate things in writing when in context with video really aren't bad at all.

Det News: Devin Gardner 'kind of just panics a lot,' Minnesota player tells p...

You can clearly tell disrespect wasn't even close to his tone there (at least in Thompson's case, Shede's isn't there). Plus, all the compliments he gives afterward are omitted in the article. Shows you how they can easily manipulate things in writing when in context with video really aren't bad at all.

Which is exactly why the coaches need to spend time (or more time) teaching these kids how to talk to the media. Don't say anything that can be used against you. Don't say anything more than is necessary.

If everyone treated the media like Bill Belichick did, then the self entitled Judd Zulgadd's of the world would come down off their high horse and start reporting about actual news instead of TMZ drama.

Without these quotes, whoever wrote the article would have actually had to write an informative article about the upcoming matchup. Shede and Thompson just made his job easy.

And not only that, but how many people are actually going to go look for the audio and make sure that these kids weren't being insulting. No one cares about the audio. The words are right there on the screen for them.

You're expecting 20 year old guys to be saavy vets when it comes to handling the media. No amount of teaching from Kill will prevent them from occasionally saying things they either don't mean, or didn't mean to say in that way. In any event, I'm not hearing a whole lot from the Michigan side that really makes it sound like it's being treated as bulletin board material. Even Gardner himself was just like yeah, I deserve to be criticized. I just don't think it was that bad, and that it matters in the least. On the scale of trash talk, this ranks extremely low, let's put it that way.

Also, doing things like this don't help Gardner's case lol:

Devin-Gardner-Pick-6.gif

Top Bottom