Det News: Devin Gardner 'kind of just panics a lot,' Minnesota player tells paper

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Detroit News:

Michigan quarterback Devin Gardner has had issues this season with turnovers. Of Michigan's 12, he has accounted for 10, including eight interceptions.

"I think he kind of just panics a lot," Minnesota safety Cedric Thompson told the Minneapolis Star Tribune in a story published Wednesday. "I think when he scrambles, he kind of just throws the ball."

Minnesota defensive tackle Ra'Shede Hageman told the Tribune, "Just the fact they almost lost to Akron, they're human. Everybody praises them to be elite, and I just feel like they're a regular football team."

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...t-panics-a-lot---Minnesota-player-tells-paper

Go Gophers!!

per the Detroit News:

Michigan quarterback Devin Gardner has had issues this season with turnovers. Of Michigan's 12, he has accounted for 10, including eight interceptions.

"I think he kind of just panics a lot," Minnesota safety Cedric Thompson told the Minneapolis Star Tribune in a story published Wednesday. "I think when he scrambles, he kind of just throws the ball."

Minnesota defensive tackle Ra'Shede Hageman told the Tribune, "Just the fact they almost lost to Akron, they're human. Everybody praises them to be elite, and I just feel like they're a regular football team."

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...t-panics-a-lot---Minnesota-player-tells-paper

Go Gophers!!

I don't get real caught up in the concept of bulletin board material and all that but that comment by Shede was just dumb. He better have a great game or he will be hearing it from every member of their offensive line all game about just how "non-elite" they really are.

58-0, 35-13, that's 98-13 over two years. I might have to take Mich and pts. coming off the bye.

Well, good to know the confidence hasn't been shaken :)

These guys know we have won the jug like twice in the last 30 years, right? Just checking.

Shut up and win a game.

And we wonder why coaches don't like for players to talk to media except at a news conference.

Shede better back up his words. True, Akron and UConn nearly pulled off big upsets, but they also beat Notre Dame pretty soundly. That's a far greater statement than Gophernation can claim so far.

Both Cedric and Hageman have not played up to expectations this year. " Open mouth and insert foot "

Good god. This week just keeps getting better and better. Just shut up and play football. Man.

Gardner sure didn't panic last year when he torched our defense. Although these comments are nothing too bad, they're still cringe-worthy, especially after our most recent performance on the field against Iowa. Come on guys, we're already 20 point underdogs, why provide bulletin board material?

If scUM was looking past us before, they probably aren't now. I'm all for having some swagger but the players comments are just dumb.

If scUM was looking past us before, they probably aren't now. I'm all for having some swagger but the players comments are just dumb.

I never buy into comments having any affect on the outcome of the game. However you can bet on the field both of those guys just made themselves targets for the opposition and would not be surprised to see it lead to some chippiness if Michigan gets up big and starts yapping.

As others have pointed out the real problem is that our guys are in no position to be spouting off like this heading into this game. I would be willing to bet the Gophers coaching staff was none too pleased when they saw those comments and will make it very clear to Shede and Thompson that they need to keep their mouth shut and just play ball.

Sometimes you have to know when not to POKE at the Bear!

per the Detroit News:

This is one game where you should just shut up and play, why POKE at the bear and make them any more interested in playing the game. It is OK to have confidence and all, but when you have not had a lot of success against this opponent "Michigan"
you really should not be talking or taking shots in the media, even if some of what you are saying may have some validity or truth to it. Keep that stuff in the room.
You can bet Thompson and Hageman are going to have targets on there backs on Saturday even if the bulletin stuff might be a bit overrated Michigan guys will know who said what. They have treated Minnesota like a little B!tch for a long time, you can bet there going to come out with that attitude on Saturday if they light up the scoreboard.

Michigan probably needed a little agitation or motivation to play, now they probably want to show the Gophers there just Big 10 cannon fodder. Michigan is going to be motivated to make Minnesota look like Cannon Fodder, and that might just be what they show on ABC if they ping pong the scoreboard.

Talk is cheap, Gophers need to win Big 10 football games, nobody wins anything making media comments. Gophers are an underdog for a reason Saturday. I hope there ready to go out and play because Michigan isn't going to just show up and take the game lightly.
Hopefully Hageman and Thompsons excitement and exuberance is more than just peeing in the Wind, Thompson and Hageman need to play well on Saturday.

It seems pretty obvious from the context that the reporter asked Thompson a leading question (something like "Why do you think Gardner throws so many interceptions?") and he responded honestly.

Ra'shede, same thing ("Why do you think you can win this game?"). His answer could have been a lot better (calling them not elite, while probably true, doesn't help anything). But I fail to see how this would make a difference. If Michigan wasn't already fired up to make up for their last two games, I doubt those quotes are going to push them over the edge.

It seems pretty obvious from the context that the reporter asked Thompson a leading question (something like "Why do you think Gardner throws so many interceptions?") and he responded honestly.

Ra'shede, same thing ("Why do you think you can win this game?"). His answer could have been a lot better (calling them not elite, while probably true, doesn't help anything). But I fail to see how this would make a difference. If Michigan wasn't already fired up to make up for their last two games, I doubt those quotes are going to push them over the edge.

Thompson answer: Because the defenses are playing well.

Shede answer: because we are working hard.

Now they've created headlines.

Lets hope Gardner sees it that way... :rolleyes:

With the way these guys "performed" last time out, they should really just shut up with this kind of stuff. Just makes them look like they haven't got a clue.

Lets hope Gardner sees it that way... :rolleyes:

As a fan of Big Ten football in general, I would hope that Gardner's ability to perform on game day (especially after the back-to-back duds that team has played) isn't affected at all by an opposing player speculating as to why he's thrown so many INTs lately.

per the Detroit News:

Go Gophers!!

Just what we need! Wolves coming off a bye, homecoming and wanting to prove themselves.

i don't know why so many GHers are freaking out about their comments, if you look in the comment section of that article multiple Michigan fans agree with Cedric! Gardener has thrown 8 interceptions in 4 games, many Mich fans want to bench him for this game, also when people say "we are not in a position to talk trash, we got beat down by Iowa" its not like Shede and Cedric were saying that we are the superior team and are all cocky about it, they are just saying that Michigan isn't that much better then us then everybody thinks, they still know that they are the underdogs and Mich is the more talented team, they didn't have any rub it in you're face comments, they are just defending their team and their chances in this and saying that it won't be a blowout

you would think some people on Gopherhole think that Akron and UCONN are better then us by their reaction to Shede's comment

i don't know why so many GHers are freaking out about their comments, if you look in the comment section of that article multiple Michigan fans agree with Cedric! Gardener has thrown 8 interceptions in 4 games, many Mich fans want to bench him for this game, also when people say "we are not in a position to talk trash, we got beat down by Iowa" its not like Shede and Cedric were saying that we are the superior team and are all cocky about it, they are just saying that Michigan isn't that much better then us then everybody thinks, they still know that they are the underdogs and Mich is the more talented team, they didn't have any rub it in you're face comments, they are just defending their team and their chances in this and saying that it won't be a blowout

you would think some people on Gopherhole think that Akron and UCONN are better then us by their reaction to Shede's comment
Agree. There's nothing wrong with what they said. Michigan just has to point to years of dominance if they have any problem with it. Frankly, I'm glad that the players are of the opinion that they can win, even if the public vehemently disagrees. It's like when the Twins play the Yankees; if your team is scared of the name on the front of the other team's uniform, your goose is already cooked.

Not sure if you really looked at the article. The title is: Michigan QB Devin Gardner 'kind of just panics a lot,' Minnesota player tells paper"

Then there is a picture of Thompson with a funny look on his face and the caption: "Minnesota defensive back Cedric Thompson isn't impressed with U-M quarterback Devin Gardner's performance under pressure."

The whole tone of the article is one of disbelief about the false bravado of the Gophers.

Not sure if you really looked at the article. The title is: Michigan QB Devin Gardner 'kind of just panics a lot,' Minnesota player tells paper"

Then there is a picture of Thompson with a funny look on his face and the caption: "Minnesota defensive back Cedric Thompson isn't impressed with U-M quarterback Devin Gardner's performance under pressure."

The whole tone of the article is one of disbelief about the false bravado of the Gophers.

and then there were the Michigan fans in the comment section saying "unfortunately he is right, all fair points"

Top Bottom