DeRusha: Fleck at Fundraiser

I see a series of Progressive commercials in the future where coaches show up to fan's places of work to watch them, yell at them and tell them how to do their jobs better - having limited to no subject matter expertise other than having used a computer at some point in their lives.

The norm in some sectors of corporate leadership

Also parents at a d3 game and a 10th grade game are also critical of coaches and play calling

If you don’t want to be criticized the only option is to not coach

^
Mix in baseline level of idiocy, add in parental tailgating and in-game mixers and the level of yelling, screaming is absolutely ridiculous in some cases. Embarrassing for the kids, probably. Gently suggesting “hey, that’‘s not helpful tone it down” is met with glares, silence, or continued idiocy. It’s a free country.

College Football Team Win Trends - All Games, Big Ten Conference, Since 2019​

Win/LossATSOver/Under
Definitions
Range: All Results 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022 Since 2003 Since 2004 Since 2005 Since 2006 Since 2007 Since 2008 Since 2009 Since 2010 Since 2011 Since 2012 Since 2013 Since 2014 Since 2015 Since 2016 Since 2017 Since 2018 Since 2019 Since 2020 Since 2021 Since 2022
Show: All AAC ACC Big 12 Big Ten CUSA Ind. I-A MAC MWC Pac-12 SEC Sun Belt Big East WAC
Situation: All Games After A Bye Against Ranked Opponents After A Win After A Loss After A Tie As Home Team As Away Team At Neutral Site As Favorite As Underdog As Home Favorite As Home Underdog As Away Favorite As Away Underdog With Rest Advantage With Rest Disadvantage With Equal Rest Conference Games Non-Conference Games Regular Season Games Bowl Games
TeamWin-Loss RecordWin %MOVATS +/-
Ohio State42-6-087.5%24.7+3.8
Michigan36-11-076.6%15.0+2.2
Iowa34-14-070.8%8.2+3.5
Minnesota32-14-069.6%9.2+2.3
Penn State33-15-068.8%12.6+2.6
Wisconsin30-17-063.8%10.50.0
Michigan St25-20-055.6%-1.6-2.1
Purdue23-22-051.1%0.1-0.5
Maryland20-23-046.5%-2.5-0.6
Illinois21-25-045.7%0.4+4.3
Indiana20-25-044.4%-3.4-1.5
Nebraska15-29-034.1%-1.0-1.9
Northwestern14-31-031.1%-7.4-2.8
Rutgers14-32-030.4%-11.9-1.9

Fleck does a great job involving himself in the community. He puts up with a lot of criticism over coaching decisions - some of which is deserved as it is for any coach. It just goes with the territory. That said, no coach in the process of donating his time and efforts helping to raise funds for worthy causes deserves to be confronted about coaching decisions - totally inappropriate. The above chart which was attached to a different thread here speaks for itself. Mediocrity? I think not....

I see a series of Progressive commercials in the future where coaches show up to fan's places of work to watch them, yell at them and tell them how to do their jobs better - having limited to no subject matter expertise other than having used a computer at some point in their lives.
Wasn't that like a Peyton Manning commercial a few years back.

Also parents at a d3 game and a 10th grade game are also critical of coaches and play calling

If you don’t want to be criticized the only option is to not coach
My best friend growing up was our goalie for hockey HS. Some parents would reflexively criticize his play with his mom sitting right there in the stands with them.

Did anyone tell him to not be one of the least throwing teams in D1?

If so, I would like to shake that fans hand at the fundraiser.
Shocking.

I told him to score more touchdowns. You're welcome, Gopher Nation
giphy.gif

They need to hire this guy:

7cf180b6-3450-4cb7-acde-9de2ecbe158a_text.gif

I mean his genius playcalling lead the L'il Giants to the massive upset over the Cowboys! In fact hire the coach too!

So, I listened to DeRusha's program.

what he actually said was this: "one or maybe two people went up to Fleck and said he needed to do a better job of time management and using his time outs."

So, it was one or maybe two people. and they said something that a large segment of Gopher fans - and the media - agree with.

Look, you can argue that it's bad form to criticize someone at a fundraiser. But, my question is the tone in which these 'complaints' were presented. Were these people yelling and screaming - or was it presented in more of a humorous tone? that makes a big difference.

Fleck is a public figure. he's going to take some heat.

this situation sounds fairly mild to me.

what he actually said was this: "one or maybe two people went up to Fleck and said he needed to do a better job of time management and using his time outs."

So, it was one or maybe two people. and they said something that a large segment of Gopher fans - and the media - agree with.

Look, you can argue that it's bad form to criticize someone at a fundraiser. But, my question is the tone in which these 'complaints' were presented. Were these people yelling and screaming - or was it presented in more of a humorous tone? that makes a big difference.

100% Know the situation. Fleck was probably the least bothered by it.

I don’t think any or many people thought the tweet indicated a tragic incident either…

Lol

For sure Fleck can take some heat. He makes millions of dollars. I just think it's in poor taste to rag on a guy when he's out trying to raise money for some charity. There's a time and place for everything.

I must be the only person in Gopher land not bothered by Fleck's use of timeouts. Early in the Georgia/TCU game before the score got out of hand, there was a play where GA scored a TD on a hurry-up play while the TCU defense was nowhere near ready. I thought to myself "PJ would have called a timeout".

I must be the only person in Gopher land not bothered by Fleck's use of timeouts. Early in the Georgia/TCU game before the score got out of hand, there was a play where GA scored a TD on a hurry-up play while the TCU defense was nowhere near ready. I thought to myself "PJ would have called a timeout".
The examples are things like on a change of posession where the should be no real reason to run out of time, coming out of a TV break, or burning a couple in the first quarter while on offense. All have happened more than once with Fleck.

The examples are things like on a change of posession where the should be no real reason to run out of time, coming out of a TV break, or burning a couple in the first quarter while on offense. All have happened more than once with Fleck.

All mostly to due to having wrong personnel, a wrong play, misunderstood play, bad alignment, time running out, etc. Those things happen in the course of a game. I suppose other coaches prefer to let the play blowup or take the penalty instead of calling a timeout. I prefer the former.

All mostly to due to having wrong personnel, a wrong play, misunderstood play, bad alignment, time running out, etc. Those things happen in the course of a game. I suppose other coaches prefer to let the play blowup or take the penalty instead of calling a timeout. I prefer the former.
Things that should not happen when given the extra time, like coming off a commercial break on offense. Those are the head sctratching one's people talk about.

Always thought it was wierd how slow the team and coaches operate on game day given the frenetic practice pace.

I don’t think PJ minds criticism but him attending a fundraiser might be good for that charity/group. Him being approached and annoyed could lead to him doing less public events. Criticize all you want but leave him alone in public. That’s my stance.
Going to bet that Fleck (like most coaches) had developed the ability to listen and nod and then immediately discard whatever BS was being flung his direction. Just goes with the territory.

We have entered a phase as a fanbase where now we complain about how we win instead of the lack of winning.....so progress.

Wasn't that like a Peyton Manning commercial a few years back.
You were probably thinking of the Favre video that was posted.....but Peyton had this classic SNL bit that is kind of related.

When Seinfeld went to heckle the heckler at her office.

Things that should not happen when given the extra time, like coming off a commercial break on offense. Those are the head sctratching one's people talk about.
Stuff like that shouldn't happen especially with a veteran squad. I would love to hear an explanation some time.

Top Bottom