Derik LeCaptain earned a scholarship!

Do these players get the scholarship for anything more than the semester it is awarded to them? For example, is someone like Brock Annexstad still on scholarship?

I think officially all scholarships are one year at a time. Derik is a redshirt sophomore. like others, wondering if PJ will provide derick with a scholarship through his remaining years

Do these players get the scholarship for anything more than the semester it is awarded to them? For example, is someone like Brock Annexstad still on scholarship?
I don't think you can give scholarships on a per semester basis. It is ongoing unless you somehow revoke it.

The rule (since I believe 2016) is like this: if you get the scholarship as a freshman, it's guaranteed for your academic career, otherwise it's guaranteed for one year and has to be renewed after that.

I don't think you can give scholarships on a per semester basis. It is ongoing unless you somehow revoke it.
All scholarships are year by year. I'd imagine for most of the walk-ons, they are not automatically renewed. Coaches wouldn't pass them out very often if the assumption was that every WO would keep it until graduation. That said, I'm sure the things that helped Geary, Annexstad, Lecaptain, etc. earn scholarships one year are similar reasons in later years.

These videos are always awesome. Very cool setup as well as I highly doubt he saw it coming.

He definitely stood out during the spring game. Will be interesting to see if he can work his way into the mix at LB. Would guess he will be a big part of special teams units.

The rule (since I believe 2016) is like this: if you get the scholarship as a freshman, it's guaranteed for your academic career, otherwise it's guaranteed for one year and has to be renewed after that.
All scholarships are year by year. I'd imagine for most of the walk-ons, they are not automatically renewed. Coaches wouldn't pass them out very often if the assumption was that every WO would keep it until graduation. That said, I'm sure the things that helped Geary, Annexstad, Lecaptain, etc. earn scholarships one year are similar reasons in later years.
The Power 5 conferences adopted the 4 year guaranteed scholarship rule a number of years ago. MplsGopher is right that it applies to incoming freshmen, but not those who are added later like LeCaptain. In theory, this could just be for one year, like I believe was the case for Brock Annexstad, but as Bob states, the things that justified LeCaptain's scholarship will likely allow him to keep it.

Also note that the "guaranteed" part is for athletic performance, but doesn't preclude removing athletes from scholarship for other reasons, like academic performance, discipline, etc.

Glad to see PJ rewarding those players who are working hard and standing out for that matter. Sets a great example that yes a scholarship can be earned. Well done!

Derik LeCaptain is a PWO who earned a well-deserved scholarship. If he makes it into the Pros as Blake Cashman did, that will be a more awesome story.

Derik LeCaptain is a PWO who earned a well-deserved scholarship. If he makes it into the Pros as Blake Cashman did, that will be a more awesome story.
2019 Wisconsin male athlete of the year ... according to ... someone. Two time all-state player in, Door County, of all places. Probably a small public school and no one they played had someone with his size and speed (wild guess).

As he said in the video, Fleck was the only one to take a chance on him (I assume he means only P5 school to offer him a PWO).

Might be a natural to slide over into the Rush End position. No idea if he is fast enough to play true MLB in the Big Ten.

Best of luck to him, in any case!

Side bar: Tanner Morgan looks ripped.

Great video and story!! I am wondering if BYU paying the tuition of many walk on players via donations opens the flood gates. If this is allowed to pass this should end walk ons for good and a school could theoretically have unlimited players on scholarship.

I'm guessing that the walk-ons are still responsible for their own room and board. Sounds like just tuition covered (which is still obviously huge).

Top Bottom