Depressing...

ust4life

Reaction score
Maybe some of the more "veteran" gopher bball fans can correct me if I'm wrong, but has the Tubby/Maturi combination completely rid the barn of all excitement with these ridiculous non-conference schedules? I'm obviously not at the game, but it looks like the stands at the Gophs vs. Fairfield game are MAYBE 50% full. Considering what the barn used to be regardless of the opponent, this is downright embarassing. Michigan St. has already played UNC and Duke while we've played SDSU and Bucknell. I wonder why there isn't any hype surrounding the gopher program. Play a decent team. If you lose, maybe it's expected. If you win, then you build on that confidence and the atmosphere grows the rest of the season.

This is a joke.

I think that we need the easy competition given that we haven't proven to be very good. To me it's the style of play more than who we play. I just want to see some shots get thrown up (and in) ocassionally.

If the coach of this team was some one other thanTubby this board would be blowing up.
This is not a good team. 500 in BT at best. Time for a new coach.

I've been a follower on Gopher bb since Hudson, Clark and Yates were Sophomores; this is not a Big Ten team.

Very sad to me.

Off the hands of Bob Martin.

They get Virginia Tech. and USC at home. That will be two good OOC foes. I agree though. Better competition in the OOC would make the barn more fun to be in. With this team probably no better than .500 in the Big ten, they will need to go at least 11-2 in OOC to have a chance at the NCAA tourney. So I guess we need this type of schedule.

They get Virginia Tech. and USC at home. That will be two good OOC foes. I agree though. Better competition in the OOC would make the barn more fun to be in. With this team probably no better than .500 in the Big ten, they will need to go at least 11-2 in OOC to have a chance at the NCAA tourney. So I guess we need this type of schedule.

MSU's next 4 games are Texas Southern, Arkansas Little Rock, UWM, and at Eastern Michigan. Their schedule is notable because they played their 2 toughest games out of the gate, but every school in the BCS plays plenty of 'buy' games at home. It's just how it works, and it's just how it has always worked. There aren't enough good teams to play enough home games to pay the bills.

MSU's schedule is better on the whole than Minnesota's, but it's also a lot easier for them to schedule the elite teams because all those elite teams have very little to lose in playing one another.

This is the first game I have watched this year. Trevor is an All American without question. But he isn't an AA that can carry a team. Not against an elite team. The rest of the team seems serviceable at best. Ralph is an enigma. Even while on the floor you wonder sometimes if he was even in the game. Williams is nothing more than an interesting side show.

The rest of the team are children playing a Big Ten man's game. If one or two of the children grows up immediately, we could be pretty good. Based on what Tubby has done with RSIII and Rodney and the others I wouldn't get my hopes too high. Next year without Trevor everyone starts to call for a new coach.

JMHO...hope I'm wrong.

The Barn was pretty dead last year for some Big Ten games, so I don't think it can be blamed entirely on the schedule.

This is the first game I have watched this year. Trevor is an All American without question. But he isn't an AA that can carry a team. Not against an elite team. The rest of the team seems serviceable at best. Ralph is an enigma. Even while on the floor you wonder sometimes if he was even in the game. Williams is nothing more than an interesting side show.

The rest of the team are children playing a Big Ten man's game. If one or two of the children grows up immediately, we could be pretty good. Based on what Tubby has done with RSIII and Rodney and the others I wouldn't get my hopes too high. Next year without Trevor everyone starts to call for a new coach.

JMHO...hope I'm wrong.

I definitely would not put Austin Hollins as part of that comment. He is a BT player and has improved his overall game year over year. He may never be an all-BT player, but he's a player that most BT coaches would like to have in their program for four years, IMO.

Go Gophers!!

I wonder what the barn will look like next year with a likely down team, the premium seating plan and the usual insulting schedule. It would really piss me off if they decide to "reward" the season ticket holders next year, who will essentially be paying double, by actually coming up with an attractive non conference home schedule. That would be the height of cynicism.

Totally agree. I mean I don't really understand it for the most part. The football program seems to get it some what; by scheduling games vs. USC, who granted isn't that great, but at least competitive and a renowned program . I mean get some competition before the Big 10 season, because you're not just gonna waltz in and expect to start beating big 10 teams after playing Fairfields for heaven sakes. And for the record this game was the most depressing game I have been to for the Gophers, and it wasn't even because there was no fans. It was because the team looked like a high school team. I mean they should have lost to Fairfield. We had 23 turnovers, and by some way some how Trevor went 16-18 from the free throw line. If he didn't we would have lost. We don't know how to beat a crappy 2-3 zone, and can barely beat Fairfields press (23 turnovers). What happens when an actual good team presses us? The positives I found were Trevors free throw shooting, the fact that we did play 12 deep, Austin Hollins seems improved, chip and mav had some bright spots. Otto found his stroke, and Rodney is attacking the rim a little more. Ralph did his best impression of a ghost and disappeared for 28 minutes. I think Andre played better but had too many turnovers. I want to see more minutes from Joe Coleman, and for Otto to look for his stroke more, especially against a 2-3. I mean a 2-3 is asking you to beat them by either shooting open threes, or finding the short corner with some interior passing and passing out of the 2-3 for easy buckets. I am kinda scratching my head after tonight but I am going to chalk it up as a classic playing down to their level game, knowing that we can play up to good teams levels.

You guys must not have read Tubby's letter to season ticket holders.

Tubby Smith said:
...our non-conference home schedule will be the toughest in the Big Ten. Bucknell, Fairfield, USC and St. Peter's all qualified for the NCAA Tournament last season...

See? Nothing to complain about.

Well, except maybe for the claim that Fairfield made the tourney last year when they didn't.. and the claim that the Gophers' non-conference home schedule will be the toughest in the Big 1?.

I actually don't have a huge problem with the schedule - most Big 1? teams have unimpressive home schedules. However, if you said you found it ludicrous for the program to attempt to talk up the schedule as being impressive or challenging, I wouldn't argue with you.

Reading this thread, you would think the team is winless rather than undefeated.

Let's not complain too heavily about this team just yet, they are still undefeated. Until we lose a game, I will keep my mouth shut, though I will be very upset if we lose to any of the teams whose conference I can't name on our out of conference schedule.

Totally agree. I mean I don't really understand it for the most part. The football program seems to get it some what; by scheduling games vs. USC, who granted isn't that great, but at least competitive and a renowned program . I mean get some competition before the Big 10 season, because you're not just gonna waltz in and expect to start beating big 10 teams after playing Fairfields for heaven sakes. And for the record this game was the most depressing game I have been to for the Gophers, and it wasn't even because there was no fans. It was because the team looked like a high school team. I mean they should have lost to Fairfield. We had 23 turnovers, and by some way some how Trevor went 16-18 from the free throw line. If he didn't we would have lost. We don't know how to beat a crappy 2-3 zone, and can barely beat Fairfields press (23 turnovers). What happens when an actual good team presses us? The positives I found were Trevors free throw shooting, the fact that we did play 12 deep, Austin Hollins seems improved, chip and mav had some bright spots. Otto found his stroke, and Rodney is attacking the rim a little more. Ralph did his best impression of a ghost and disappeared for 28 minutes. I think Andre played better but had too many turnovers. I want to see more minutes from Joe Coleman, and for Otto to look for his stroke more, especially against a 2-3. I mean a 2-3 is asking you to beat them by either shooting open threes, or finding the short corner with some interior passing and passing out of the 2-3 for easy buckets. I am kinda scratching my head after tonight but I am going to chalk it up as a classic playing down to their level game, knowing that we can play up to good teams levels.

Should have lost to Fairfield? I mean, what game where you watching? Yeah, we struggled with turnovers. I mean, 23 turnovers is bad, and a lot of them were sloppy. But how about crediting our defense a bit. I mean, we forced 20 turnovers, and held a team that was shooting just under 40% from three in its first two games to 2-16 from behind the arc. I mean, I never really thought that game was in question. It wasn't a huge margin of victory, but I was never worried about a loss.

And Fairfield isn't a bad team. I mean, they have a legitimate stud (Sanders), a solid 7-footer (Olander), and a couple other solid scorers (Barrow and Needham). And they're coached by Sydney Johnson, a guy I think we'll see in major conference basketball soon. I mean, he did a great job at Princeton (I mean, the Tigers had their best team in over a decade last year and nearly upset UK in the Tourney).

I mean, they're not Big Ten level, but the Stags aren't a lousy team. They could make the tourney this year. I mean, it seems like they're gonna battle Iona for the MAAC title. And we beat them fairly easily. The turnovers were negative, but the overall team performance wasn't that bad.

I mean, look out for that falling sky.

Should have lost to Fairfield? I mean, what game where you watching? Yeah, we struggled with turnovers. I mean, 23 turnovers is bad, and a lot of them were sloppy. But how about crediting our defense a bit. I mean, we forced 20 turnovers, and held a team that was shooting just under 40% from three in its first two games to 2-16 from behind the arc. I mean, I never really thought that game was in question. It wasn't a huge margin of victory, but I was never worried about a loss.

And Fairfield isn't a bad team. I mean, they have a legitimate stud (Sanders), a solid 7-footer (Olander), and a couple other solid scorers (Barrow and Needham). And they're coached by Sydney Johnson, a guy I think we'll see in major conference basketball soon. I mean, he did a great job at Princeton (I mean, the Tigers had their best team in over a decade last year and nearly upset UK in the Tourney).

I mean, they're not Big Ten level, but the Stags aren't a lousy team. They could make the tourney this year. I mean, it seems like they're gonna battle Iona for the MAAC title. And we beat them fairly easily. The turnovers were negative, but the overall team performance wasn't that bad.

I could tell you really meant that post. I mean, you really meant that post.

What I mean is they played so sloppy they should have lost to Fairfield. As in they did not necessarily deserve to win with the way they played. The margin was 6 points. Like my original statement, if Trevor didn't get to the free throw line 18 times they would have lost. Yeah they are a decent opponent, they are an NIT team, Sanders looked good, but I guess I am too critical so you deserve some credit, sorry I was salty after being there live.

The lack of attendance is mostly related to the product on the floor. This was the first game I watched this season and the team looked terrible. Based on tonight I would rank them the worst in the Big 10, or tied with Penn State, as the worst team. It was a really hard game to watch and I think this will be a long season unless things change significantly. If the team gets into the Top 25 there will be larger crowds. All schools play cupcakes in basketball.

GoldInDirt said:
The lack of attendance is mostly related to the product on the floor. This was the first game I watched this season and the team looked terrible. Based on tonight I would rank them the worst in the Big 10, or tied with Penn State, as the worst team. It was a really hard game to watch and I think this will be a long season unless things change significantly. If the team gets into the Top 25 there will be larger crowds. All schools play cupcakes in basketball.

Don't forget purdue. They barely beat Iona. They will be last.

MNGreatest said:
What I mean is they played so sloppy they should have lost to Fairfield. As in they did not necessarily deserve to win with the way they played. The margin was 6 points. Like my original statement, if Trevor didn't get to the free throw line 18 times they would have lost. Yeah they are a decent opponent, they are an NIT team, Sanders looked good, but I guess I am too critical so you deserve some credit, sorry I was salty after being there live.

And if Kobe Bryant played for Fairfield, they would have won too.

What's your point?

So we played great defense but looked bad on offense. That equates to "terrible"? I think our defense is going to keep us in a lot of games this year.

Lots of teams struggle at this time of year. Tonight's attendance was a function of start time- 6:00 pm is horrid. But I will agree that the crowds have not been into it. I think people buy into identities. A team identity- ie high scoring, or run and gun or agressive defense and physical play is one component. But you also have to have players that capture the fans' imagination. Trevor does that but few others on the Gophers have developed that connection that gets people excited. Austin Hollins is coming along. Rodney will tease with the dunks, but he and Ralph often blend in with the scenery and in fact Ralph is sort of the opposite of what most fans get excited about. Andre Holllins and Chip Armelin are two guys that could develop identities and I would argue that this team will be pretty good if Andre develops quickly and begins to do all the things he can do.

This may be one of the toughest teams I have ever seen in Gopher uniforms to figure out. No clue where we will finish or how this plays out. 3rd to 10th are all in play.

I think that all of the naysayers are overestimating the quality of our big ten opponents. To call our players unworthy of playing for a B1G team is ludicrous, I think that our team is capable of hanging in, and winning games with the lineup we have in the B1G. We should all be expecting an NCAA berth and perhaps a win in the tourney. It may not be pretty, but give credit where credit is due.. TUBBY KNOW HOW TO COACH DEFENSE. Our team is always among the best defensive teams and that will help to carry us against some inexperienced B1G teams.

We are 3-0. Last I checked, the rafters of Williams Arena aren't littered with NCAA tournament victories. Let's please accept the fact that we are an average B1G team. If we come away with 21-22 wins this season and a tournament victory we should be rejoicing in the progress we've made. Hopefully, it's even better.. I'm hopeful.

GopherHoopsFan

A team that is 3-0 and winning games that it is supposed to is called terrible? People are calling for a new coach? Has anybody noticed that switching coaches every four years has not worked for any one of our programs and starting from scratch and hoping to "rebuild" is losing fans every single year. Stand behind the team we have and quit complaining about things that are small. We have won EVERY game this year and have showing improvements every time out on the floor. Enjoy what we have, cheer on the gophers, and have fun. Lets start a tread that says "3-0" so there can be some positivity and fun to being a gopher fan.

I could tell you really meant that post. I mean, you really meant that post.

Ya, but all of that doesn't mean that SonOfTheVarsity doesn't know what he's talking about. Purdue beat Iona by 1 tonight at home. Way too much doom and gloom about this team for this point in the season. Actually, some good things for us. Oto is figuring it out. Maverick got valuable minutes. Austin might be our second best player before too long. Trevor is making free throws. Overall, we played good defense against a decent team. We won, but got exposed by a team that pressed and trapped. Just the experience against that defense is going to help. Need to wait until we play Virginia Tech before any predictions about the season are made.

"I mean"

Top Bottom