DENNIS EVANS A GOPHER!!!!!!!!!!!

I’d be shocked if he doesn’t play 20-28 as a freshman. I know he’s raw, but he’ll get time even with Payne being a beast
I'd be shocked too if he doesn't play a lot of minutes as a freshman. Here are some reasons to like this kid, not only for what he can do as a freshman but a bit longer term as well:
  • He's 17 yr old, he hasn't "grown into" his body yet-have you seen his Dad? He's enormous, and he's not just tall, he's a big man. This kid could be up to 250 lbs by the end of his freshman year
  • From what everyone who has seen him play says, he has "outstanding patience and timing" on his blocks. Not every big guy has that, it's something Pryzbilla had. And when somebody is pretty athletic and has a 7'7 wingspan in addition, that earns minutes, even as a freshman
  • He seems like a humble and grounded kid, the kind that will be a good teammate and may have some loyalty to a school or coach (remember that?)
  • Those who know him all say he has excellent potential as an offensive player. He works hard, and from video you can see he has a nice release and he looks to have some touch.
Sure, a lot of things have to go right for him, but when you talk about ceilings, this one is pretty high.

What I like the bolded paragraph is that all the players mentioned are here or in the case of Evans on his way.
Not the….if we get this guy we will look like this, or if we get this guy we will be able to do this.
Know speculation is a huge part of a message board, but this commitment from someone in Cali is really sweet. Think of all the D1 schools from here to SoCal
Has to be very rewarding for Jenkins, who probably isn’t getting the deserved credit, and Ben.
Also, I would bet Fox hangs around also.
Since Jenkins was the last assistant hired, and didn't seem to be the first choice, I was worried it wouldn't work out well. But with Henley, Betts, and now Evans, he seems to be more than pulling his weight. Hopefully these guys develop.

Since Jenkins was the last assistant hired, and didn't seem to be the first choice, I was worried it wouldn't work out well. But with Henley, Betts, and now Evans, he seems to be more than pulling his weight. Hopefully these guys develop.
I wonder if he can recruit wide receivers.

That will depend on whether Battle and/or Garcia are back for another season.
Maybe with Garcia. I don’t think Battle will have an impact. If Garcia comes back, I still see Payne and Evans splitting the 5 minutes and then Payne and Evan’s together for 6-8 minutes a game while Garcia sits.

I glanced at a TCU's Killerfrogs.com to see the reaction of TCU fans to the commitment to U of M. I was surprised that a couple of posts suggested the great atmosphere of the Barn including the raised floor might have been a positive factor in Dennis Evans' choosing the U. One fan suggested he selected Minnesota because he was promised a lifetime supply of lutefisk. Who needs NIL ?

Every success we have this year will amplify my excitement for this program moving forward. No doubt Evans will attract some high level talent to go along with the current roster. As a Gopher fan I was resolved to accept we would always be catching good sized crappies and an occasional keeper. Now its time to fill the boat with Walleye's...so to speak :)
Evans is a muskie on rivals (5*)

Dennis Evans reminds me Daniel Gafford as both are immediate impacts protecting the rim. Evans is an inch or two taller and has a 7'7" wingspan compared to Gafford's 7'2". Gafford was ranked 39th in the country on 247 back in 2017. I really do see the nba potential for Evans and he really could be a one and done as some team might stash him in the nba as he puts on more weight.

Dennis Evans reminds me Daniel Gafford as both are immediate impacts protecting the rim. Evans is an inch or two taller and has a 7'7" wingspan compared to Gafford's 7'2". Gafford was ranked 39th in the country on 247 back in 2017. I really do see the nba potential for Evans and he really could be a one and done as some team might stash him in the nba as he puts on more weight.

Here is more good news about Evans: Currently, the NBA requires any player entering the NBA Draft to be at least 19 years old during the calendar year the draft is held. So, he's good for at least 2 years for the Gophers, assuming he stays after his freshman season.

Steel-framed Ice Castles are the toilets of wheel houses. Get him in a Yetti and then take him to Manny’s.
Good enough for me. For the record, where I come from, a clam is still luxurious.

Evans is too young to be a one and done. We have him a minimum of two seasons!!

Wow, that's why I love message boards, you guys know your stuff. I know Adam Silver is talking about changing the rule again, but until I can bank on Mr. Evans in maroon and gold for two years.

just listened to the "Talk Gopher Buckets" podcast with Ryan James and Luke Buer.

one thing just jumped out at me.

Ryan James said: "in the last two weeks, Kentucky, Ohio State and Louisville came in and offered (Evans) money" but they couldn't get him to bite. he didn't give a source, but he was very definite about it. the point was that other teams wanted him, but MN got in there first.

James also made it sound as if Evans had made up his mind on MN at least several days before the official announcement. He said the key was the relationships that Jenkins and Johnson built up with Evans and his family.

whole podcast is worth listening to. they go through the entire roster and talk about possible positions, rotations, and a look at the B1G.

Here is more good news about Evans: Currently, the NBA requires any player entering the NBA Draft to be at least 19 years old during the calendar year the draft is held. So, he's good for at least 2 years for the Gophers, assuming he stays after his freshman season.
Didn’t he recently turn 17? Meaning he would be 18 by the time he plays his first game here, and would be turning 19 in the 2024 calendar year, which means he would still be eligible to be a one and done?

If he is still developing offensively, and maybe can’t put up gaudy numbers as a freshman splitting time with Payne, then I’m not sure it’s likely he goes pro after his freshman year anyway.

Didn’t he recently turn 17? Meaning he would be 18 by the time he plays his first game here, and would be turning 19 in the 2024 calendar year, which means he would still be eligible to be a one and done?

If he is still developing offensively, and maybe can’t put up gaudy numbers as a freshman splitting time with Payne, then I’m not sure it’s likely he goes pro after his freshman year anyway.
I think you're correct, that he would be eligible for the 2024 draft, although it is unlikely. I had read somewhere on the internet that he wouldn't be eligible after his first year, and of course I believe everything I read on the internet...let's hope for no gaudy numbers, just damn good ones.

What pure excitement to be reading and writing about such positive news about the Gophers. I'm not the type to prognosticate about how many minutes a kid plays, or if they share time, or get drafted. I do KNOW that it has been
many years since we were fortunate enough to even converse at this level. Some of these guy's are going to play like men, and be a pleasant surprise, while others will just simply have to learn what it takes and "how hard" they can actually work. I know we can't control injuries, but finally in our view is actual PROMISE.
Go Gophers, great GH contributors and fans!

I think you're correct, that he would be eligible for the 2024 draft, although it is unlikely. I had read somewhere on the internet that he wouldn't be eligible after his first year, and of course I believe everything I read on the internet...let's hope for no gaudy numbers, just damn good ones.

I’ll chalk this up as one of “those good problems” to have

Last edited:

Everyone should watch the video on his IG. This kid comes across as so authentic and humble. The fan base is going to love him. In all honesty, while it will take him some time, I will enjoy pulling for him far more than had Chet Holmgren chosen the Gopher
"My dressing style is from Tim Duncan." I can't be the only one who absolutely loved this, right?

This is just wild. Like many of the rest of you I can hardly believe it, particularly since it came after getting the top player from Illinois who also sounds like a really grounded kid.

I am as excited as anyone about the commitment from Evans, but phew people already trying to decide if he is a top 10 pick after 1 year or 2 seems a bit premature. Guessing this is the same group that thought Oturu was a lock lottery pick and going to have a 20yr nba career. I am assuming most of you don't watch any NBA.

People take it as a knock when you say a kid cant make it in the NBA, its not. Mason/Hollins/Oturu/Murphy were GREAT college players, they had almost no shot at the nba. Everyone freaks out about Coffey, he plays like 8 min a game when the Clippers are right. Its not knocking Amir, dude is a STUD. but hes a below average nba player, nothing wrong with that just trying to provide context here to the people who are jumping the shark a bit with the Evans to the nba talk already. I hope him battle garcia payne etc all are that level talent and get there, but the odds are heavily stacked against that. Enjoy the kids while they are here, who cares when/if any of them get drafted or leave to play overseas.

I am as excited as anyone about the commitment from Evans, but phew people already trying to decide if he is a top 10 pick after 1 year or 2 seems a bit premature. Guessing this is the same group that thought Oturu was a lock lottery pick and going to have a 20yr nba career. I am assuming most of you don't watch any NBA.

People take it as a knock when you say a kid cant make it in the NBA, its not. Mason/Hollins/Oturu/Murphy were GREAT college players, they had almost no shot at the nba. Everyone freaks out about Coffey, he plays like 8 min a game when the Clippers are right. Its not knocking Amir, dude is a STUD. but hes a below average nba player, nothing wrong with that just trying to provide context here to the people who are jumping the shark a bit with the Evans to the nba talk already. I hope him battle garcia payne etc all are that level talent and get there, but the odds are heavily stacked against that. Enjoy the kids while they are here, who cares when/if any of them get drafted or leave to play overseas.
See Luka Garza.

Top Bottom