DENNIS EVANS A GOPHER!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a HUGE get for the Gophers and coach Johnson!
I can't remember the last time we had an elite shot-blocker and rim defender who could erase perimeter defensive mistakes. Maybe Pryzbilla, but that didn't last very long. Seeing what he can do offensively will be fun, but I'm most excited to see how the coaching staff uses him to improve our team defense and rebounding. Love the potential of this team over the next few years!

Oh wait, he's not from Minnesota!! oh no! We need to lock down our borders!!!
1666103858228.png

The comparison that keeps going through my head is Calvin Booth. Booth was a good shot blocker, all-defensive-conference, all-conference by his senior year, and had a long NBA career. You can tell Evans is smart and studious; Booth is now an NBA GM, which speaks to his smarts.

Not sure what Booth's HS national rating was, but Evans has the potential to exceed his college accomplishments.

I'm admittedly not much into fishing. But I can sorta handle fishing off the dock on a nice summer day. Ice-fishing? NO CHANCE. I grew up in Minnesota, but have always hated cold weather, and remember the time my Dad offered to include me on a week-long ice fishing trip. I looked at him like he was nuts! The kid is from California. It's not even that nice a day until it's 78. Let's give him a little time to try to adapt to freezing weather before we force him to sit on a frozen lake! :)
There are fish houses now that are nicer than my home. Plenty of heat, TV, bathroom, fridge, etc.

The comparison that keeps going through my head is Calvin Booth. Booth was a good shot blocker, all-defensive-conference, all-conference by his senior year, and had a long NBA career. You can tell Evans is smart and studious; Booth is now an NBA GM, which speaks to his smarts.

Not sure what Booth's HS national rating was, but Evans has the potential to exceed his college accomplishments.
That's a good comparison. I expect Evans will likely be a bit more raw offensively (almost all 7'0" 18 year olds are raw) but an absolute game changer on the defensive end.

I realize people could go pro, but a frontcourt rotation including Payne, Evans, Battle, Garcia and Thompson is really diverse, long, and athletic group.

A guy like Evans lets you go small at 1-4 when you want and a guy as athletic as Payne allows you to go really big if you want. I see Payne as more of a college 5, but he is athletic enough to guard stretch 4s.

There are fish houses now that are nicer than my home. Plenty of heat, TV, bathroom, fridge, etc.
Isn't that like claiming that sitting inside a fully stocked, air conditioned RV, watching the ballgame is camping (roughing it)? :) I remember my Dad saying they had little heaters and thinking, "so I need to be alert for the sound of ice cracking?".

Sounds like the parents didn't want him to go to the U. Wonder what issues that they have with the U?

Maybe there were no issues. Maybe it was a difficult decision, and in the end they all thought Wisconsin was a better fit.

Welcome to Minnesota Dennis, and bring your fishing rod and reel with you when you head this direction. The U of M Bass Fishing Team has a National Championship flag flying in their boat (won it all in 2014). Plus, check out these sweet home-field lake jerseys. I'm pretty sure we can get em' with longer sleeves. You'll be all set for fishing in style.

1666105367023.png

Last edited:

That's a good comparison. I expect Evans will likely be a bit more raw offensively (almost all 7'0" 18 year olds are raw) but an absolute game changer on the defensive end.

I realize people could go pro, but a frontcourt rotation including Payne, Evans, Battle, Garcia and Thompson is really diverse, long, and athletic group.

A guy like Evans lets you go small at 1-4 when you want and a guy as athletic as Payne allows you to go really big if you want. I see Payne as more of a college 5, but he is athletic enough to guard stretch 4s.
What I like the bolded paragraph is that all the players mentioned are here or in the case of Evans on his way.
Not the….if we get this guy we will look like this, or if we get this guy we will be able to do this.
Know speculation is a huge part of a message board, but this commitment from someone in Cali is really sweet. Think of all the D1 schools from here to SoCal
Has to be very rewarding for Jenkins, who probably isn’t getting the deserved credit, and Ben.
Also, I would bet Fox hangs around also.

So fired up for Evans!! It changes the entire energy and narrative around this program. Evans will likely be talked about every time the Gophers have a national game this year, in the "big things coming for Ben Johnson and the Gophers next season" type of air time filler.

I can't remember the last time we had an elite shot-blocker and rim defender who could erase perimeter defensive mistakes. Maybe Pryzbilla, but that didn't last very long. Seeing what he can do offensively will be fun, but I'm most excited to see how the coaching staff uses him to improve our team defense and rebounding. Love the potential of this team over the next few years!

View attachment 21177
Liam Robbins actually protected the paint very well. I was so disappointed he didn't stay last year as they'd have won a lot more games.

Liam Robbins actually protected the paint very well. I was so disappointed he didn't stay last year as they'd have won a lot more games.
Hard to say, he got hurt and missed most of last season I believe

Also heard rumors that it was mutual departure

Not getting my hopes crushed is a weird feeling.
So fired up for Evans!! It changes the entire energy and narrative around this program. Evans will likely be talked about every time the Gophers have a national game this year, in the "big things coming for Ben Johnson and the Gophers next season" type of air time filler.
Sorry Stan. The nationals don’t care. Unless our information people drop that data on them, they won’t know or care. That’s fine. The basketball people will and it will open recruiting doors that once were closed.

Ben and staff got ‘er done! 😉

interesting comparison, especially since Calvin's daughter Carter is a pretty good blocker at the U, volleyball
Kinda wish the gophers would have tried more to get Carey - a PSU commit

I hope Dennis has a little more O than Calvin had in college. He was a rim protector as I recall but not much on offense. Obviously he continued to develop nicely post college and is proof of the adage that you can’t coach tall.

Sorry Stan. The nationals don’t care. Unless our information people drop that data on them, they won’t know or care. That’s fine. The basketball people will and it will open recruiting doors that once were closed.

Good call out, he did GOT 'ER DONE!!! We started the big push!

View attachment 21177

Reggie Lynch? The B1G defensive player of the year who was 2nd in the country in blocks?

But I was told that TCU had all the NIL money and such and there was no chance? Surely all those diehard TCU basketball donors didn't go cheap on a 5 star?! :ROFLMAO: 🤡

But I was told that TCU had all the NIL money and such and there was no chance? Surely all those diehard TCU basketball donors didn't go cheap on a 5 star?! :ROFLMAO: 🤡
They didn’t go cheap. Ben Johnson won this one because of his relationship building and getting on Evans early

That's my thought too. Raw coming in and just got better every single year.

I'm sure it will get mentioned some, but it's not nearly as interesting as Luke Loewe's love for fishing or the fact that the Andre and Austin Hollins aren't brothers. :cool:

watched some more video. Evans moves very well. saw him shooting some smooth-looking turn-around jump shots, and even spotting up for some three-pointers which he released in rhythm.

will need to bulk up and add some strength - but I see a lot of offensive potential there beyond just a "stay in the lane" type of post player.

and with a real rim protector in the middle on defense, that allows the perimeter players to be a little more aggressive.
His defense alone will be worth 15-20 points a game. Any offense from him will be a bonus.

They didn’t go cheap. Ben Johnson won this one because of his relationship building and getting on Evans early

That is true...and it is also likely true that people greatly inflated the amount of NIL money TCU has put aside for basketball.

My concern with prep shot blockers is how long it takes them to adjust to the college game and stay out of foul trouble.
That’s what so nice about having Payne too. They can be aggressive and learn without it be totally detrimental

Go back to the old days. Hide him in a hotel, take classes on the internet, don’t let anyone get in his ear. Otherwise our celebration will be in vane.

and he can shoot too...damn. watch out for the gophs. what a hot start for ben, way to go.

Top Bottom