DENNIS EVANS A GOPHER!!!!!!!!!!!

Only Gopher fans can turn our greatest recruiting news in the 21st Century into something that is mildly depressing because they focus on 1 that got away. This is a time to rejoice, focus on who is here, who is coming and who we will get next. Change your mindset Minnesota.
Thank you. Well said!

He likes to fish...will fit right in here. Someone has to get him out ice fishing.
At 7'-1" he can probably reach to bottom of the lake. Sort of like noodling but from the top of the ice.

Only Gopher fans can turn our greatest recruiting news in the 21st Century into something that is mildly depressing because they focus on 1 that got away. This is a time to rejoice, focus on who is here, who is coming and who we will get next. Change your mindset Minnesota.
It is sad that Gopher fans have been beaten down so badly that they have to focus on the one that got away. But this is about the future, and anyone who knows basketball could see that last year with 2 Big-Ten caliber players on the roster and literally no bench, this guy can coach. There haven't been any Big Ten championships won yet, but we now know that he can evaluate talent, get in early, and convince talented players to sign. The guy can recruit, and he can coach. This year he'll be able to coach with upgraded talent, and the next year he should have a boatload of talent. It's going to be fun!!

Evans is a fantastic get. Putting together two consecutive nice classes! Payne, Christie, Betts, Carrington, Ola Joseph, Henley and Evans is the most talented pair of classes that we have seen pulled in here in years. Ben has gotten some nice transfers, but this is how you build. This will also help next spring when they look to find a the right guy in the transfer market. Rather than filling a bunch of spots they can focus on perhaps one key guy. Very exciting!!

It is sad that Gopher fans have been beaten down so badly that they have to focus on the one that got away. But this is about the future, and anyone who knows basketball could see that last year with 2 Big-Ten caliber players on the roster and literally no bench, this guy can coach. There haven't been any Big Ten championships won yet, but we now know that he can evaluate talent, get in early, and convince talented players to sign. The guy can recruit, and he can coach. This year he'll be able to coach with upgraded talent, and the next year he should have a boatload of talent. It's going to be fun!!
I’m in agreement with your assessment of Ben and his abilities. As far as Winter is concerned, to be honest he wasn’t good enough to be part of this class. 4 stars or better baby !

The Barn is gonna be rocking again, Ben is reeling in some talent! The kid said he likes to fish so he picked the right state

per Marcus:

The 7-1 senior from Riverside Hillcrest said he was sure Johnson and assistant Marcus Jenkins wanted to shout in celebration when he told them about his decision over the phone before releasing his announcement video Monday.

"They were pretty excited," said Evans, who picked the Gophers over Texas Christian. "I had a really good relationship with them. They were honest with me about everything. It made the decision feel right."

Evans is working on expanding his offensive skills beyond the paint but his rim protecting is more than just elite. With a 7-7 wingspan, he blocked 10 or more shots in a game five times last season, including a 16-block effort. That was the fifth best mark in California prep history.

"I hope to add defensive and offensive value," Evans said. "Being a player who is able to play inside and outside, a player who is very versatile and a very good shot blocker."

"I really liked their playing style," Evans said about watching the Gophers practice. "They coached to what guys were good at and their strengths. You just fell in love with the way guys played and the way the program runs things."

A humble giant, Evans doesn't brag about his status as a game-changing prospect for the Gophers. He knows he needs to add bulk to his 215-pound frame to handle the physical play in the Big Ten.

Go Gophers!!

watched some more video. Evans moves very well. saw him shooting some smooth-looking turn-around jump shots, and even spotting up for some three-pointers which he released in rhythm.

will need to bulk up and add some strength - but I see a lot of offensive potential there beyond just a "stay in the lane" type of post player.

and with a real rim protector in the middle on defense, that allows the perimeter players to be a little more aggressive.

Evans is a fantastic get. Putting together two consecutive nice classes! Payne, Christie, Betts, Carrington, Ola Joseph, Henley and Evans is the most talented pair of classes that we have seen pulled in here in years. Ben has gotten some nice transfers, but this is how you build. This will also help next spring when they look to find a the right guy in the transfer market. Rather than filling a bunch of spots they can focus on perhaps one key guy. Very exciting!!
Bingo. Evans is game-changing, and he elevates the outlook on both classes.

When all is said and done, I think Henley and Betts will better then most realize. They the type of long, athletic yet skilled wings this program didn't typically land in the past and always had issues matching up against. Like Evans, both appear to be late bloomers and the staff did an excellent job at evaluating talent.

He might be our Rashard Griffith….let’s ignore that Rashard had no business being at a BT school.

He might be our Rashard Griffith….let’s ignore that Rashard had no business being at a BT school.

Really grasping at straws as you slowly watch your opportunities to talk sh*t about Gopher basketball starting to slip away? Hint: this Evans commit is a HUGE step in that happening to you. LOL

Every success we have this year will amplify my excitement for this program moving forward. No doubt Evans will attract some high level talent to go along with the current roster. As a Gopher fan I was resolved to accept we would always be catching good sized crappies and an occasional keeper. Now its time to fill the boat with Walleye's...so to speak :)

Um ... are we sure that's a good idea?
I'm admittedly not much into fishing. But I can sorta handle fishing off the dock on a nice summer day. Ice-fishing? NO CHANCE. I grew up in Minnesota, but have always hated cold weather, and remember the time my Dad offered to include me on a week-long ice fishing trip. I looked at him like he was nuts! The kid is from California. It's not even that nice a day until it's 78. Let's give him a little time to try to adapt to freezing weather before we force him to sit on a frozen lake! :)

Top Bottom