Dennis Dodd quote on Jerry Kill

And why you would think that we've already hit the ceiling with Kill is beyond me. IMO we've only scratched the surface of what we could become under Kill over the next several years.

Hopefully you're right, but I'm just looking at his track record. He was at SIU for a long time and the biggest game he ever won there was a FCS quarterfinal game. A QUARTERFINAL GAME! He was a 21-pt favorite in the MAC championship game right before he came to MN, and lost. To me, I see someone that hits ceilings, that gets programs a solid base, but can't deliver against the big boys.

So I guess I'd have to ask you, what makes you believe we've just scratched the surface and will be able to win the big games with this staff (despite them having never really won big games prior to coming here)? I'm not seeing it. Cobb was able to hide a lot of things this year. If we weren't in the B1G this passing offense would have had us sitting at home during the bowl season in the SEC, Big 12 and PAC 12.

no bone to pick, I think he's done a great job cleaning up the program, just don't think he can go any higher. They like to recruit a certain type of QB and it appears they will struggle to develop that type of a QB into a capable BIG passer. I just think these past 2 years are the ceiling for Kill teams. Luckily, this year, we had 2 close W's we were able to pull out (NW, Purdue) so we had a nice season; but we just aren't in the same class as the big boys, and will never be with QBs that can't pass and allow the offense to be balanced.

I'm not hoping he leaves, but if he does, oh well; not a big loss IMO.

You realize that, if we go at least 4-4 in the BT next year, Kill will have the best conference record in a 3-year span since 1971-73? With our history, I don't think we should take him for granted ever. We all know it could be a hell of a lot worse.

As for the QB situation, I still think it is way too early to know for sure if they can develop a QB at this level. I mean, how many guys have they really had a chance to really develop so far? Leidner is the only QB who has been in Kill's system for more than two years.

I'm certainly not trying to make excuses as the QB absolutely has to get better. But I'm also not going to pull the plug on their ability to develop QBs this early either.

But it is ridiculous to think that a sophomore cannot improve.

No it's not. You can only improve so much each year. When your quarterbacking skills are as bad as his it's tough to make major improvements. He has some incredibly poor quarterbacking traits that are completely ingrained in him. How many times this year did you see him look off his primary target and hit a 2nd or 3rd option?

I'm just looking at the play on the field, and it's not pretty. Again, don't get your hopes up on Mitch becoming this QB who will be able to be relied upon to hit open receivers in big games, ever.

Kill's people threw numbers around with KU and KU was not able to meet them due to the Gill and Weiss buyouts. Kill absolutely would have taken the job if they were able to have paid good money for their next coach.

dont_believe_you_anchorman.gif

You’re right, I am more uninterested in Kill’s current team than I was even 2 years ago. I think it’s more big picture. I really want a winner, one where when we play a Purdue or Illinois it’s not even a question. I still see this team struggling with every team they play. Squeaking out the close ones against bad-average teams and not having a shot at the big boys just isn’t appealing to me.

I think our incredibly weak schedule the past 2 years has hid a lot of warts. Yes we played TCU and OSU, but the rest of our schedule sucked. If we didn’t get OSU in a snow storm they would have mopped up on us, and we really had no business being on the same field as TCU. We are getting some good pub in the B1G, but that is because the B1G sucks and there aren’t many good teams in the league.

The team has shown me it can play some defense, but nothing incredible enough to make up for our terrible offense. Once we lose Cobb I think it’s going to get ugly. I hope I’m wrong, but this staff has mismanaged the QB (and the whole offense, really) position so bad that there isn’t even hope of being able to pass until they maybe get a 2016 recruit that can throw and develop him for a few years. So until 2019, at the earliest, we are going to have to watch some of the worst quarterbacks in all of college football. I just think it’s Mason all over again, except that the B1G is half the league it use to be, but defensive issues are now offensive issues. But yes, I’ve been a Gopher kool-aid drinker my whole life, so I often ask myself the same question you just asked me. As you’ve probably noticed, I don’t even post much anymore.

I know there are still a lot of things that need to be improved with the program, but dang, you'd think we're Indiana right now with your posts. I think we're in a much better situation than you're making it out to be, especially considering just about every contributor on this team this year was recruited after bad seasons.

What I see is a guy setting up a solid foundation for future success. We don't have the recent history of a Michigan, Nebraska, or even Iowa where the program can be turned around pretty quickly.

Agree to disagree I guess.

You’re right, I am more uninterested in Kill’s current team than I was even 2 years ago. I think it’s more big picture. I really want a winner, one where when we play a Purdue or Illinois it’s not even a question. I still see this team struggling with every team they play. Squeaking out the close ones against bad-average teams and not having a shot at the big boys just isn’t appealing to me.

I think our incredibly weak schedule the past 2 years has hid a lot of warts. Yes we played TCU and OSU, but the rest of our schedule sucked. If we didn’t get OSU in a snow storm they would have mopped up on us, and we really had no business being on the same field as TCU. We are getting some good pub in the B1G, but that is because the B1G sucks and there aren’t many good teams in the league.

The team has shown me it can play some defense, but nothing incredible enough to make up for our terrible offense. Once we lose Cobb I think it’s going to get ugly. I hope I’m wrong, but this staff has mismanaged the QB (and the whole offense, really) position so bad that there isn’t even hope of being able to pass until they maybe get a 2016 recruit that can throw and develop him for a few years. So until 2019, at the earliest, we are going to have to watch some of the worst quarterbacks in all of college football. I just think it’s Mason all over again, except that the B1G is half the league it use to be, but defensive issues are now offensive issues. But yes, I’ve been a Gopher kool-aid drinker my whole life, so I often ask myself the same question you just asked me. As you’ve probably noticed, I don’t even post much anymore.

The use of suck, sucks or sucked in a sentence? Really? And you want people to take you seriously? Lol!

I could sit here and try to argue for Mitch because his rushing stats are pretty nice, but I'll give sonny that this year he wasn't a proficient passer. But it is ridiculous to think that a sophomore cannot improve. Who's Dennis Dodd anyway?
College football reporter and blogger that knows a lot of coaches Dodd is.

I think Mitch can improve as a QB, but these accuracy and off target issues are hard to cure for a quarterback. Accurate quarterbacks that improve over time and sledom miss have been that way from the time they were coming up even young guys, they hit everything and seldom miss in practice even, can hit targets like nobody's business. Right now Mitch struggles with using proper footwork, yeah his torn MCL has played a part of that but that doesn't excuse bad habits of jumping up in the air to throw a pass, not planting and following through, when he is on the move, he seldom sets himself up to deliver an accurate ball, with good footwork, squaring himself up, and the follow through on his throws were non-existent at times. He could benefit from going to one of those GURU camps in California to work on his footwork the most, during Semester break, he could benefit a lot from one of those.
Young guys are always way to reliant on just there arms because they get by with that stuff in high school and at a younger age. I'm not so sure that Mitch will ever read a D at the level where he can anticpate things opening up and developing before they happen but that comes with playmakers too and time. Besides Maxx Williams, the options were thin. All we had was Fruechte or D Jones, and occassionally KJ Maye the Gophers did not have a lot of options experience wise or route running wise that made you think the passing game would get a lot better. That said Mitch missed a lot of open targets and zeroed in on one guy, all things typical of a Sophmore level QB in college. Crystal ball is very cloudy on Mitch, one thing you know though is the guy can run, he is tough and he is a very hard worker. If ever there were a guy that could beat the odds and improve at a high level I would bet on Mitch, the guy does bust his butt in practice and off the field stuff. I know I was critical but I think Mitch can overcome the weaknesses and actually get better with his passing, it is just going to take time. You can see a guy like Mitch, even in high school they do not get the competition level where they have a lot of standouts playing secondary in the Midwest or a ton of wide receiving options in our home recruiting areas of Minnesota, Iowa, S and N Dakota and Western Wisconsin. Especially Minnesota HS football, where just about all offensive football is run oriented and run first options. Those Cali, Floida and Texas, most deep south, kids playing QB, they play football year round and they get a lot of exposure playing against top level competition at camps even Spring ball and HS league play. Recruiting a Minnesota or cold level Midwest Quarterback you will always get guys with less experience, and lower exposure to throwing the football. Most of it is talent first, but some is experience, repetitions, and exposure related.

I honestly can't understand how any Gopher fan can be this negative about the program right now. Bizarre.

We have two freshman that are really quick in Rod Smith and the one were hoping for good pass catcher, really strong, in Jeff Jones in the Spring and you do not think the Gophers are going to have an overall improved running game with a more experienced O-line. Yeah we lose a lot in Cobb but we will be gaining some more options. We lose some key O-line guys but we finally have some depth in the O-line with experience we have sorely lacked, and the D-line I think that will help the Gophers. There is finally some program depth and competition being built here.
Cobb carried the load because he had to this year because the QB played with torn MCL and we were limited in passing game options for playmakers. Man I am aware of the warts of the QB spot but I'm optimistic that he will turn it around as a junior, as the guy has an arm, size and talent now he just needs to put it together and the offense needs to diversify some. We at least play some competent defense something they never did during the Mason years and the young bucks comming up on defense seem stronger and more talented than any we have had in recent memory. I can't see reason for not being optimistic, but I guess I am wearing my Gopher kool-aide glasses. Mitch warts and all, the kid still has a chance to get better and be good, you can't teach leadership(charisma, character, experience that guys will gravitate too, and follow in sports), toughness, and a will to win and that guy Leidner has those things. We will be replacing some very good seniors but every program has that. I just don't see us falling to those swings and doldrumn years we had under coach Mason, right now I cannot see us going down that path.

Whatever you ingested, Sonny, put it down and never take it again. Yours and other comments about players' inability to improve is the kinda thing someone who's never watched sports would say. I can think of a few examples of sophomores who no one knew a thing about who became conference MVP. Coaching and practice really matter. Saying Mitch is a DII QB seems absurd. Have you watched DII? Have you ever seen B1G QBs? Crazy stuff, Sonny. I'm sure you're wrong about a lot of what you've said in this thread. Let's meet back here same time next year and see who's right. OK? I say Mitch is All-B1G and Gophers are B1G champs.

No it's not. You can only improve so much each year. When your quarterbacking skills are as bad as his it's tough to make major improvements. He has some incredibly poor quarterbacking traits that are completely ingrained in him. How many times this year did you see him look off his primary target and hit a 2nd or 3rd option?

I'm just looking at the play on the field, and it's not pretty. Again, don't get your hopes up on Mitch becoming this QB who will be able to be relied upon to hit open receivers in big games, ever.

Holy cow Sonny, lightened up on that loser Gopher Koolaid you've been drinking. Things look promising for the first time in forty years that I've followed Gopher football. It is fun to be a Gopher fan again now that JK has righted the program.

BTW, don't expect eight to ten wins each season. There are transition periods when great players graduate and when the replacements get to full steam. Even Barry Alvarez teams have peaks and valleys every four to five years.

The Gophers are not tOSU where they can pick and chose top players every year. The Gophers have to recruit hard to get the players that fit their system. What Kill has done with less is remarkable. They are beating obstacles real or perceived in recruiting from Minnesota. I tend to believe that as he wins more and consistently that we can expect the quality of recruits to improve.

KILL-MASON-ALVAREZ COMPARISON.jpg

College football reporter and blogger that knows a lot of coaches Dodd is.

I think Mitch can improve as a QB, but these accuracy and off target issues are hard to cure for a quarterback. Accurate quarterbacks that improve over time and sledom miss have been that way from the time they were coming up even young guys, they hit everything and seldom miss in practice even, can hit targets like nobody's business. Right now Mitch struggles with using proper footwork, yeah his torn MCL has played a part of that but that doesn't excuse bad habits of jumping up in the air to throw a pass, not planting and following through, when he is on the move, he seldom sets himself up to deliver an accurate ball, with good footwork, squaring himself up, and the follow through on his throws were non-existent at times. He could benefit from going to one of those GURU camps in California to work on his footwork the most, during Semester break, he could benefit a lot from one of those.
Young guys are always way to reliant on just there arms because they get by with that stuff in high school and at a younger age. I'm not so sure that Mitch will ever read a D at the level where he can anticpate things opening up and developing before they happen but that comes with playmakers too and time. Besides Maxx Williams, the options were thin. All we had was Fruechte or D Jones, and occassionally KJ Maye the Gophers did not have a lot of options experience wise or route running wise that made you think the passing game would get a lot better. That said Mitch missed a lot of open targets and zeroed in on one guy, all things typical of a Sophmore level QB in college. Crystal ball is very cloudy on Mitch, one thing you know though is the guy can run, he is tough and he is a very hard worker. If ever there were a guy that could beat the odds and improve at a high level I would bet on Mitch, the guy does bust his butt in practice and off the field stuff. I know I was critical but I think Mitch can overcome the weaknesses and actually get better with his passing, it is just going to take time. You can see a guy like Mitch, even in high school they do not get the competition level where they have a lot of standouts playing secondary in the Midwest or a ton of wide receiving options in our home recruiting areas of Minnesota, Iowa, S and N Dakota and Western Wisconsin. Especially Minnesota HS football, where just about all offensive football is run oriented and run first options. Those Cali, Floida and Texas, most deep south, kids playing QB, they play football year round and they get a lot of exposure playing against top level competition at camps even Spring ball and HS league play. Recruiting a Minnesota or cold level Midwest Quarterback you will always get guys with less experience, and lower exposure to throwing the football. Most of it is talent first, but some is experience, repetitions, and exposure related.

How's it going Yoda?

Well...sonnygarcia has jumped the shark. The football team is in the best shape in 50 years and he's complaining. Leidner is fine - every time he runs the ball pretend it's a completed pass...his stats end up looking alright.

To call our schedule weak the last two years is beyond ridiculous. We won in Lincoln! He obviously has an axe to grind...I mean he admits to being more excited about the program two years ago! Also as far as being "only able to improve so much" tell me where Cobb was at the end of his sophomore year and tell me we have seen the best of Leidner.

Seriously, if you're not happy at this very moment just go away. Gopher football doesn't get too much better than this.

I'd be more interested in asking him about KU vs. Georgia.

Ha! Made me smile because I'm a Gopher now (since 1996) because Glen was Georgia's coach for that one week (as with the allusion).

After he changed his mind after the bowl game, backed off on Georgia, and went back to Kansas and was canned a year later to end up being hired at Minnesota...THAT'S what made me think something different was going on at The U.

If Minnesota's then "new" coach survived Georgia's hiring process, then that was good enough for me.

Been bleeding maroon and gold ever since. Certainly more bleeding in the past. The future is golden.

Go Gophers!

Also - let's say this is as good as Mitch will ever be. I'll take a reproduction of this season 10 times out of 10. I mean, have you been paying attention the last 40 years? We have never been a team that can assume a blowout victory against the bottom feeders - we have been the bottom feeders! You, sir, are an idiot.

I think Kill is hungrier than even we are and wants to win at the highest level. Remember where we came from, and that this wasn't going to happen overnight.

Why would anyone want to coach football at kU? You'll always be the #2 sport... by far. ZERO resources. ZERO recruiting. Their roster needs major work. It's a job where a guy would need at least 5 years to get it moving in the right direction.

And I"m glad it's a dumpster fire. F them.

Dodd says Kill would have taken the KU job had they been able to come up with the $$$

Truth? who knows

Dennis Dodd has said A LOT of outrageous stuff over the years. That's his job. Never found him to be informative; rather, he incites.

If he said that KU just didn't come up with the right amount of money, well he can't be wrong, correct? For example, Kill would (should) leave for KU if they're throwing around mega money. Doubt they're doing that.

I could be wrong, but I've never known Dodd to have connections to anything. Forget about him, I have yet to see a good article from this tool.

Top Bottom