Dennis Dodd quote on Jerry Kill

Curseislifted33

Reaction score
Dodd says Kill would have taken the KU job had they been able to come up with the $$$

Truth? who knows

I have a hard time believing that but I don't know. Did they even interview Jerry?

I don't doubt it, but question the amount of $$$ it would take. My guess is a lot.

Dodd says Kill would have taken the KU job had they been able to come up with the $$$

Truth? who knows

Guarantee that is pure unsubstantiated speculation on his part. Not a direct, or even an indirect quote. Nothing here to see, imo. The KU stuff is ridiculous. Would be a huge step down for Kill and is not even close to a lateral program now or in the future.

I don't doubt it, but question the amount of $$$ it would take. My guess is a lot.

I am sure there would be some appeal to a place like Kansas to Kill given his background, but agree that it would take a lot of money for him to leave here in order to go to a place like that. Chances are it would take far more then they would be willing to consider shelling out.

Thread title is a little misleading, imo. Not hating, just personally would have said Dodd "speculation" on Kill. Not Dodd "quote". Quote, to me at least, implies he had an actual direct or indirect quote from Kill and/or someone very close to him. Appears he has neither.

Thread title is a little misleading, imo. Not hating, just personally would have said Dodd "speculation" on Kill. Not Dodd "quote". Quote, to me at least, implies he had an actual direct or indirect quote from Kill and/or someone very close to him. Appears he has neither.

There's nothing wrong with the thread title. Its "Dennis Dodd quote ON Jerry Kill" not "Dennis Dodd quote FROM Jerry Kill". The OP posted a quote FROM Dennis Dodd stating his opinion ON the possibility of Jerry Kill taking the Kansas Job.

Appears to be a very unsubstantiated claim nevertheless.

As would have Nick Saban and Urban Meyer. Everybody has a price.

For $8MM per year, he would have taken the Kansas job, but would have kept the pickup truck with 80K miles.

yep, and not everybody has money. With the budget shortfalls in Kansas, will they be able to attract anybody?

That is why we should never believe the coach speak that comes out of these guys. Even Jerry Kill. There is always a price.

Not a chance. I would be worried about the KSU job whenever Snyder retires again.

Truth? who knows

Of course it's true. Everyone has a number. Had they offered 20 million a year, he should have taken the job. Just like I'd easily leave my current employer for a mere $200,000 raise without worrying too much about whom I'd be working for...

I don't believe it for a second, and what's the point of getting worked up about it now anyway? Kansas now has a coach, and I don't suspect he's going anywhere anytime soon.

Everyone has a price for everything. We all even have a price to be a badger fan.

It sounds like Bill Snyder is about to announce his (re)retirement from K-State. I would think they have more to offer (including money) than the Jayhawks.

I hope Kill and his wife are as happy here as I think they are.

It sounds like Bill Snyder is about to announce his (re)retirement from K-State. I would think they have more to offer (including money) than the Jayhawks.

I hope Kill and his wife are as happy here as I think they are.

That is one job that does scare me a bit.

Why don't we ask Mase about KU vs The U in terms of which is the step-up or down?

And he made that decision before anything like TCF was in the picture.

Why don't we ask Mase about KU vs The U in terms of which is the step-up or down?

And he made that decision before anything like TCF was in the picture.

I'd be more interested in asking him about KU vs. Georgia.

Guys, this wasn't Dodd's opinion, he was stating what he was told happened. Kill's people threw numbers around with KU and KU was not able to meet them due to the Gill and Weiss buyouts. Kill absolutely would have taken the job if they were able to have paid good money for their next coach. They didn't have the money and had to settle for a Tim Brewster clone, on the cheap.

He's left a lot of other jobs for more money, I'm not sure why him leaving would surprise anyone.

If he does leave, I'm not concerned, it would have been cleaned up nicely for someone to come in, recruit an actual QB that can throw, and probably take another step forward. Not sure that's possible trotting out all these D2 QBs they have on the roster; have probably reached the ceiling with Kill.

Hopefully, if he left, we'd turn around and hire Bohl, so in the end we probably could upgrade.

Sonnygarcia, it sounds like you might have a bone to pick with Jerry Kill and perhaps that's motivation for trying to link him to KU coaching discussions.

no bone to pick, I think he's done a great job cleaning up the program, just don't think he can go any higher. They like to recruit a certain type of QB and it appears they will struggle to develop that type of a QB into a capable BIG passer. I just think these past 2 years are the ceiling for Kill teams. Luckily, this year, we had 2 close W's we were able to pull out (NW, Purdue) so we had a nice season; but we just aren't in the same class as the big boys, and will never be with QBs that can't pass and allow the offense to be balanced.

I'm not hoping he leaves, but if he does, oh well; not a big loss IMO.

We'll see. The team has improved every year and Leidner will continue to improve and the competition at QB and WR will be getting better as well. I'd hate to see this program have to look for a new coach any time soon.

I would argue that basically anyone would take almost any job for the right amount of $$$...

Ground breaking stuff here.

Leidner will continue to improve

Mitch is Mitch, he will not be getting any better; I wouldn't get your hopes up. He is such a bad passer that I don't think there are many FCS teams that would even take him. The part that would give me hope is that we've been competitive with a D2 quality QB; I would figure we'll eventually find a good QB and we'll take that next step. Problem is, Streveler, McKinzy and this year's recruit are terrible passers as well; so it looks like we're going to stick with the same blueprint. Thus, I don't have much hope beyond 6-8 wins a season with Kill.

Mitch is Mitch, he will not be getting any better; I wouldn't get your hopes up. He is such a bad passer that I don't think there are many FCS teams that would even take him. The part that would give me hope is that we've been competitive with a D2 quality QB; I would figure we'll eventually find a good QB and we'll take that next step. Problem is, Streveler, McKinzy and this year's recruit are terrible passers as well; so it looks like we're going to stick with the same blueprint. Thus, I don't have much hope beyond 6-8 wins a season with Kill.

Sonny, in the past you seem to be well connected to the program and pretty upbeat. Why so glum??? We just had a great season and next year should be even better...

I'm not hoping he leaves, but if he does, oh well; not a big loss IMO.
Not a big loss if Kill leaves? I think that's crazy talk. Who's to say our next hire would be the right choice?? Kill leaving could potentially be disastrous. And why you would think that we've already hit the ceiling with Kill is beyond me. IMO we've only scratched the surface of what we could become under Kill over the next several years. To say we've hit the ceiling in year 4 when we are showing clear improvement EVERY season so far is ridiculous.

I could sit here and try to argue for Mitch because his rushing stats are pretty nice, but I'll give sonny that this year he wasn't a proficient passer. But it is ridiculous to think that a sophomore cannot improve. Who's Dennis Dodd anyway?

Sonny, in the past you seem to be well connected to the program and pretty upbeat. Why so glum??? We just had a great season and next year should be even better...

You’re right, I am more uninterested in Kill’s current team than I was even 2 years ago. I think it’s more big picture. I really want a winner, one where when we play a Purdue or Illinois it’s not even a question. I still see this team struggling with every team they play. Squeaking out the close ones against bad-average teams and not having a shot at the big boys just isn’t appealing to me.

I think our incredibly weak schedule the past 2 years has hid a lot of warts. Yes we played TCU and OSU, but the rest of our schedule sucked. If we didn’t get OSU in a snow storm they would have mopped up on us, and we really had no business being on the same field as TCU. We are getting some good pub in the B1G, but that is because the B1G sucks and there aren’t many good teams in the league.

The team has shown me it can play some defense, but nothing incredible enough to make up for our terrible offense. Once we lose Cobb I think it’s going to get ugly. I hope I’m wrong, but this staff has mismanaged the QB (and the whole offense, really) position so bad that there isn’t even hope of being able to pass until they maybe get a 2016 recruit that can throw and develop him for a few years. So until 2019, at the earliest, we are going to have to watch some of the worst quarterbacks in all of college football. I just think it’s Mason all over again, except that the B1G is half the league it use to be, but defensive issues are now offensive issues. But yes, I’ve been a Gopher kool-aid drinker my whole life, so I often ask myself the same question you just asked me. As you’ve probably noticed, I don’t even post much anymore.

Top Bottom