DeLeon Eskridge will not return to the U

I felt fairly comfortable with two senior RB's and a group of unproven but promising youngsters. Having untested players in back-up roles is not how teams make a run at a championship. I know there are exceptions, White for an injured Clay, and Coker filling in very well for Robinson, for example.

A LaMichel James is a case where a talented frosh took over his first year. However, most good teams don't rely on FR. running backs. You seldom see a FR back ranked in the top 10 let alone the top 25 RB in the country and probably 10 or so in the top 100.

Who knows. Maybe Kirkwood or Edwards could win the starting role as the season progresses. At least they will be the best RB on the team which usually wins out over experience.

Winning big at Minnesota is going to be a lot more difficult...

than many think. So, remember to support Coach Kill when he manages to bring the program back to a moderately competetive state. Welcome a plateau at the relatively moderately competetive level and be greatful for what improvements are made. Expect ups and downs from that level of modest success. If Coach Kill can get us there in the next five to ten years...GREAT! Extend him. Let him keep building and let him find that magical year when it all falls into place. IF he gets close and can't quite do it...so what. Things will be better than they were the last four years. IF he gets close, say "...He is getting close...stay with him..."

When you have very little depth...EVERY loss of experience is a critical loss. It is not the end of the world, but, make no mistake: it IS a loss. It will make winning Big Ten games more difficult.

Yes, it does provide opportunity for young players, but, in the Big Ten you do not win with too many young and/or inexperienced players. Usually, the teams in the top four positions in the Big Ten have a lot of 4th and 5th year players. It is a LOT easier to plug in a young player who is surrounded by age and experience than it is if that young player is surrounded by more youth and a lot of inexperience.

So cheer for Coach Kill and the Gophers. I think he knows how to coach. Time will tell. But NEVER forget the lessons of the past 35 or 40 years. Minnesota is a really tough place to win big at in Big Ten play. Minnesota is a tough place to be competetive at. THAT is what history teaches us. Each and EVERY Big Ten win becomes one of the building blocks needed to escape the lower 1/3 of the Big Ten Standings. Moving from the lower 1/3 to the lower 1/2 level takes time, luck and patience. Moving from the lower 1/2 to the upper 2/3 may never happen in the lifetime of anyone over 45 or 50. But, being competetive IS fun! Being competetive is pretty darn good in Big Ten play. Maybe being lucky, pretty darn good and catching a few schedule breaks is what it takes to have a MAGICAL season for MOST Big Ten Programs.

But, for right now: This is one tough coaching gig...Good luck Coach Kill!

than many think. So, remember to support Coach Kill when he manages to bring the program back to a moderately competetive state. Welcome a plateau at the relatively moderately competetive level and be greatful for what improvements are made. Expect ups and downs from that level of modest success. If Coach Kill can get us there in the next five to ten years...GREAT! Extend him. Let him keep building and let him find that magical year when it all falls into place. IF he gets close and can't quite do it...so what. Things will be better than they were the last four years. IF he gets close, say "...He is getting close...stay with him..."

When you have very little depth...EVERY loss of experience is a critical loss. It is not the end of the world, but, make no mistake: it IS a loss. It will make winning Big Ten games more difficult.

Yes, it does provide opportunity for young players, but, in the Big Ten you do not win with too many young and/or inexperienced players. Usually, the teams in the top four positions in the Big Ten have a lot of 4th and 5th year players. It is a LOT easier to plug in a young player who is surrounded by age and experience than it is if that young player is surrounded by more youth and a lot of inexperience.

So cheer for Coach Kill and the Gophers. I think he knows how to coach. Time will tell. But NEVER forget the lessons of the past 35 or 40 years. Minnesota is a really tough place to win big at in Big Ten play. Minnesota is a tough place to be competetive at. THAT is what history teaches us. Each and EVERY Big Ten win becomes one of the building blocks needed to escape the lower 1/3 of the Big Ten Standings. Moving from the lower 1/3 to the lower 1/2 level takes time, luck and patience. Moving from the lower 1/2 to the upper 2/3 may never happen in the lifetime of anyone over 45 or 50. But, being competetive IS fun! Being competetive is pretty darn good in Big Ten play. Maybe being lucky, pretty darn good and catching a few schedule breaks is what it takes to have a MAGICAL season for MOST Big Ten Programs.

But, for right now: This is one tough coaching gig...Good luck Coach Kill!

The same thing was said about Wisconsin which never had a winning tradition or rich football history like Minnesota (except for some exceptional seasons from 1896-1901). The Buckies were doormats until they got one really good coach who turned it all around and he handpicked his successor who may be able to build on what Alvarez started. If Wisky can build a football program from basically nothing, then someone like Kill ought to be able to re-build a program and have it rise like a Phoenix from the ashes.

Be patient...give it time...realize what he difficulties are...

And IF Coach kill manages to have some success in the first three to 7 years...then hits a plateau, have an AD who realizes that the revenue sports come first and formost and support coach Kill. You mention wisky...well...at wisky, they put FOOTBALL at the TOP of the priority list. Thank Pat Richter for that. And Donna S. was on board with THAT strategy from the moment she took the job as Chancellor of u w madison and brought Richter in to BUILD the Football Program. They cut baseball and a few other sports so that they could have resources for FOOTBALL.

Sorry, but, our ad just plain is NOT in a league with Pat Richter and prexy b was NOT in a league at all with Donna S. THEY understood what they had to do to build a football program adn she got the WHOLE University concept. Believe me...it was NOT all Alvarez He couldn't have done it alone. Along the way, he even got their football program put on a pretty long-term probationary period for failing to have adequate control over the booster situation and their interaction with wisky athletes. (Does the term shoebox ring a bell?)

So, I believe Coach Kill can do some good things here. He is lucky that the lame duck prexy b is out the door at the end of June and Prexy K is coming in. Will Prexy K be equal to the task and pick up the ball the way Donna S. did at wisky????? Will he hire a Pat Richter-level and type of AD who KNOWS that Football must be established at the top of the pryamid before any other sports? Or will he cop-out and extend the 66 year old badger joel macturi for a few more seasons?????

It was NOT just Alvarez at wisky...it started at the TOP of the administrative ranks and extended down to the athletic director. THEN and only then did Alvarez stand a chance....

; 0 )

And IF Coach kill manages to have some success in the first three to 7 years...then hits a plateau, have an AD who realizes that the revenue sports come first and formost and support coach Kill. You mention wisky...well...at wisky, they put FOOTBALL at the TOP of the priority list. Thank Pat Richter for that. And Donna S. was on board with THAT strategy from the moment she took the job as Chancellor of u w madison and brought Richter in to BUILD the Football Program. They cut baseball and a few other sports so that they could have resources for FOOTBALL.

Sorry, but, our ad just plain is NOT in a league with Pat Richter and prexy b was NOT in a league at all with Donna S. THEY understood what they had to do to build a football program adn she got the WHOLE University concept. Believe me...it was NOT all Alvarez He couldn't have done it alone. Along the way, he even got their football program put on a pretty long-term probationary period for failing to have adequate control over the booster situation and their interaction with wisky athletes. (Does the term shoebox ring a bell?)

So, I believe Coach Kill can do some good things here. He is lucky that the lame duck prexy b is out the door at the end of June and Prexy K is coming in. Will Prexy K be equal to the task and pick up the ball the way Donna S. did at wisky????? Will he hire a Pat Richter-level and type of AD who KNOWS that Football must be established at the top of the pryamid before any other sports? Or will he cop-out and extend the 66 year old badger joel macturi for a few more seasons?????

It was NOT just Alvarez at wisky...it started at the TOP of the administrative ranks and extended down to the athletic director. THEN and only then did Alvarez stand a chance....

; 0 )

This guy is hilarious.

I thought this thread was about Eskridge leaving..............

I agree with Bayfield. This is just another question mark facing the Gophs. I expected Bennett and Eskridge to get a lot of work this year, including times with both of them in the same backfield, with Bennett maybe spending some time split out at a slot or wing-back position, to take advantage of his pass-receiving skills. Also, Kill has typically used a lot of backs in the past, so this really hurts the team's depth.

Bottom line - one of the young backs may turn out to be a surprise, but right now, they are totally unproven. And let's not forget Bennett's history of injuries. If the RB's are not as productive as they need to be, that puts even more pressure on the QB to produce.

Thought/question for people who know the roster better than I do - is there anyone at another position that could play RB if needed?

And as far as the Walrus is concerned - you seem to be saying/predicting that Kill will be lucky to have a "moderately competitive" program. In other words, he won't be as good as Saint Glen. No coach from now to the end of time will ever be as good as Saint Glen. Let's all go pray to the shrine of Saint Glen.

To be blunt - one of the reasons I wanted Brewster to succeed was to shut up Wren/Walrus. That didn't happen. Now, I want Kill to succeed for the same reason - to show Wren/Walrus and the other members of the Mason cult that another coach can have success at the U.

I thought this thread was about Eskridge leaving..............

I agree with Bayfield. This is just another question mark facing the Gophs. I expected Bennett and Eskridge to get a lot of work this year, including times with both of them in the same backfield, with Bennett maybe spending some time split out at a slot or wing-back position, to take advantage of his pass-receiving skills. Also, Kill has typically used a lot of backs in the past, so this really hurts the team's depth.

Bottom line - one of the young backs may turn out to be a surprise, but right now, they are totally unproven. And let's not forget Bennett's history of injuries. If the RB's are not as productive as they need to be, that puts even more pressure on the QB to produce.

Thought/question for people who know the roster better than I do - is there anyone at another position that could play RB if needed?

And as far as the Walrus is concerned - you seem to be saying/predicting that Kill will be lucky to have a "moderately competitive" program. In other words, he won't be as good as Saint Glen. No coach from now to the end of time will ever be as good as Saint Glen. Let's all go pray to the shrine of Saint Glen.

To be blunt - one of the reasons I wanted Brewster to succeed was to shut up Wren/Walrus. That didn't happen. Now, I want Kill to succeed for the same reason - to show Wren/Walrus and the other members of the Mason cult that another coach can have success at the U.

Shady Salamon played at rb as a true freshman and then was moved to safety, as I've said before he reminds me a lot of Eskridge. There's more then enough rb options, the question is are any of them very good options. I think most people expect the trio of Kirkwood, Edwards, and Wright to be more talented then the Eskridge and Bennett combo. Lets hope we are right and that assessment and it translates to on field production.

; 0 )

Can you clarify something? Do you think Bruinicks and Maturi are good for Gopher football? Can you then share your thoughts on Big Ten wins?

I'm not sure why people think we have no depth at RB.

The backs after Bennett are unproven but its hardly impossible for redshirt freshmen RBs to succeed and Kirkwood looked good in limited action last year.

I'm looking forward to seeing Kirkwood and Edwards in action on 1st/2nd down with Wright maybe getting some 3rd down looks.

Depth at RB is the last position I'm concerned with.

Eskridge averaged 3.6 YPC last year while Bennett was 4.3. The OL and being able to have an effective passing game with Gray will be a far bigger reason for success than Eskridge would have been.

I hate seeing someone leave before their senior year. I wish him well. That being said, I think one of the younger guys (probably Kirkwood) is ready to step up anyways, I don't think this will hurt too much.

Meh. I wish the guy well, and best of luck to him on his family problems, but it's not a big deal.

Never a good thing when you lose your leading rusher, best blocker & short yardage runner. He wasn't Walter Payton, but he was all the things I listed.

This is way more than a shrug moment. For three years the coaching staff has been trying to find a better back than Eskridge... What if this year is no different? We have no idea if Bennett can stay healthy! We have no idea if Kirkwood can stay healthy or is a #1 guy! We have no idea if Edwards is a RB! We have no idea if Wright will even be on the team! Eskridge was the one guy you knew was going to be suited-up.

Maybe this is a good thing and one of the other guys becomes the man? History is not on our side though.

Thank you! Many people miss the nuances of the position, it's not just breaking off long runs. There's blocking, which no other RB on the team (much less a Freshman) held a candle to Eskridge. There's short yardage where Eskridge was the go-to guy. Durability, he was never injured. Special Teams where Eskridge was a stud of coverage teams. Not every player has to be All Big-10 to be valuable & Eskridge was a valuable player.

Thank you! Many people miss the nuances of the position, it's not just breaking off long runs. There's blocking, which no other RB on the team (much less a Freshman) held a candle to Eskridge. There's short yardage where Eskridge was the go-to guy. Durability, he was never injured. Special Teams where Eskridge was a stud of coverage teams. Not every player has to be All Big-10 to be valuable & Eskridge was a valuable player.

Thank you CR. At least a few of us get it.

Great points.

Eskridge will most definitely be missed. Was he the best or most dynamic runner in the team? Not even close. Was he the most complete package? Yes and that's not even close either. Consistency in completing your assignments is huge. While not spectacular, Eskridge could always be counted on...you knew what you would get.

Bennet is tne most PROVEN dynamic back out of the bunch. Edwards looks the part the most. Kirkwood is the most instinctive runner...todate. Wright has a CHANCE to be the most dynamic/best back.

The negativity of Eskridges departure can be greatly minimized if any of these backs can bring the consistency to the table that he did.

GopherHomer

This guy is hilarious.

You got that right! The only thing that is consistent about him is his inconsistency. I take it he is now not demanding Big Ten wins from Jerry Kill this season. I thinkith he speaks out both sides of his mouth.

Great points.

Eskridge will most definitely be missed. Was he the best or most dynamic runner in the team? Not even close. Was he the most complete package? Yes and that's not even close either. Consistency in completing your assignments is huge. While not spectacular, Eskridge could always be counted on...you knew what you would get.

Bennet is tne most PROVEN dynamic back out of the bunch. Eadwards looks the part the most. Kirkwood is the most instinctive runner...todate. Wright has a CHANCE to be the most dynamic/best back.

The negativity of Eskridges departure can be greatly minimized if any of these backs can bring the consistency to the table that he did.

Agreed.

As Kill knows well, Bennett is his only proven RB.

As Kill has said repeatedly about unproven players and recruits, they are all "paper tigers" until they produce substantial, consistent results on game day, game in and game out.

After USC, Kill should have a better sense of how his young tigers will perform in the B1G grind.

Turnover

Reducing turnover is a major element of any program to succeed. Combine that with s&c, player development, experience, practice time, coaching, it should all come together. Right now, we have had very few players leaving the program that truly impacted the outcome of games. I would place more time in recruiting great offensive and defensive linemen than any rb. We need to build up the dt and de position before we go all nuts on rb. We need guards who can pulll and run lead blocks off the ends to really panic the defense. We don't have it today. We may have it next year if some coach other than Miller can actually land players. Right now, our recruiting looks thin and risky. But, then again, it might not be if it is the intent of the coaches to build those players up prior to unleashing them.

Are any of our prime line targets coming to Kill's clinics? Waiting for the clinics is a risky business at this level unless you have substantial junior class participation. If these kids won't commit until the end of August or later puts us back at square one with finding leftovers. I want Kill to land 1 or 2 five star athletes and 4-5 four star athletes every year. Otherwise, Kill has a record of .500 against superior athletes. That is not good enough with a class with 1 four star and the rest nil, 2, 3 star athletes, which is how it is stacking up right now. The red flag is slowly but surely being raised and I have very little evidence to show that we are being competitive against Indiana nonetheless Nebraska. Michigan has 3 top 40 defensive ends and we have 1 unrated guy and that was an area of need for us. Looks like Hoke is outdoing Kill right now.

I want Kill to land 1 or 2 five star athletes and 4-5 four star athletes every year.

That is not going to happen anytime soon, if ever, at the University of Minnesota. You may as well "want" to win the lottery, because the odds of that occurring are greater.

Looks like Hoke is outdoing Kill right now.

The Michigan coach is finding it easier to recruit than the Minnesota coach? No foolin'?

That is not going to happen anytime soon, if ever, at the University of Minnesota. You may as well "want" to win the lottery, because the odds of that occurring are greater.

The Michigan coach is finding it easier to recruit than the Minnesota coach? No foolin'?

I love your sarcasm. You do it a great deal of the time. You are a passionate Gopher fan and obviously love to post on the Goph's. Are you still a Kill fan as we are going to get our collective butts handed to us again 3-4 years from now from Michigan, not to mention this year? This isn't a "duh" moment for you or me. It should be for Jerry" coaches. They are losing the race using formulas that worked well for NIU and SIU. Nothing has shown me that they are really competing for the hearts and minds of players better than Joe Salem's regime.

I love your sarcasm. You do it a great deal of the time. You are a passionate Gopher fan and obviously love to post on the Goph's. Are you still a Kill fan as we are going to get our collective butts handed to us again 3-4 years from now from Michigan, not to mention this year? This isn't a "duh" moment for you or me. It should be for Jerry" coaches. They are losing the race using formulas that worked well for NIU and SIU. Nothing has shown me that they are really competing for the hearts and minds of players better than Joe Salem's regime.

You're asking someone to assess their current status as a Gopher fan based on what you claim will be happening in 4 years? The future hasn't happened yet? A rational person would let the coach coach at least one game before concluding that he has lost anything. And you claim that he is losing based on what worked before in his career? When you are determined to see a certain outcome, there is nothing like looking at success and calling it proof that failure. You really don't think he's got the hearts and minds of the players any better than Joe Salem?

On point.

Based on his NIU/SIU results, Kill has shown that his recruiting formula stressing potential rather than recruiting service stars can defeat the Minnesota's and Purdue's of the B1G universe.

Will that recruiting approach work against the upper-tier of the B1G?

Kill has always said that the team with the best athletes usually wins. Using his own perspective, he probably knows that at some point he's going to have to attract some "stars" to really compete with the powerhouse programs.

Winning is the ultimate recruiter. If he can produce, recruiting will come around.

You're asking someone to assess their current status as a Gopher fan based on what you claim will be happening in 4 years? The future hasn't happened yet? A rational person would let the coach coach at least one game before concluding that he has lost anything. And you claim that he is losing based on what worked before in his career? When you are determined to see a certain outcome, there is nothing like looking at success and calling it proof that failure. You really don't think he's got the hearts and minds of the players any better than Joe Salem?

I am not making claims, but using scenarios and making predictions based on the scenario. As for Joe Salem, hey, he's a great foil. He was bashed so heavily by so many. I can name at least a few linebackers who told me personally that they didn't want to work that hard to rise up in the depth chart because they only wanted the scholarship and not the playing time. I know several of them personally. So, yeah, I think Kill better be doing a better job of gaining the hearts and minds of players than during the Salem era, specifically due to those conversations from ~30 years ago. Believe me, I was disappointed then and I would disappointed now if it reoccurs.

Now my first claim is that I know those players and that they indeed didn't put in real effort to succeed as players during the Salem era.

I'll put in claim number two as I know of a defensive end during that era that was a drugged out nutcase that was arrested more than one occasion. He came to the U with the addiction and walked out having ruined not only his college career but of his roommates as well.

So my second claim is that many players were disinterested in playing football for many reasons during the Joe Salem era. This wasn't unique to Joe Salem and he is definitely not to blame for their personal attitudes toward themselves and sport. But, we all sink to absurdly low standards of conduct from time to time and college athletes can not be relied upon to keep up their end of the bargain even with coaches chasing them down and escorting them to class, which I find refreshing.

Sorry, I didn't really think I had to justify my connection to Coach Salem, but there you have part of my reasons for making such a loose connection.

I didn't care for those athletes then. I doubt if I would stretch my hand out to them now if I encountered them.

Salem may have lost control of the team, but what does that have to do with Kill?

Salem may have lost control of the team, but what does that have to do with Kill?

Well, he ought to be careful in what he crafts here. If he can't get top players, he will have a very good chance at burning out his players trying to develop them. Once that happens, he will not only lose their will to succeed, he will lose their focus on the team. Jerry Kill isn't the first guy at Minnesota to preach character, development, and team play. He may relive the pains of our past if he can not recruit players that take less development time and have good character. He is losing the recruiting war right now. He needs to gain ground now and land some true 4 star recruits and not lose the ones he offered and received verbal commitments from. Once again, Minnesota is losing our best players to more accomplished programs. If we have a 3, 4, or 5 win season in 2011, that will not boost our recruiting for 2012-2013. The fact is he will have to pull off a near miracle season to really get the program on the radar. Frankly, I don't see Kill as being that attractive to most recruits who possess a 4 or 5 star ranking. They want victories the first and second year are on a team. They already committed themselves to success and don't want to surround themselves with project players who committed themselves too late to become that highly desired. If I were a parent of a great football player, I wouldn't send them to an also ran team. I would send them to a better football school. I am off the Kill Koolaid dream team and onto the what's next movement. I like Kill. I think it is possible for him to succeed here, just not that probable. I hope I am wrong, so very wrong.

WTF?
You know Kill's done this before right? I don't see many horror stories about SIU or NIU players burning out.

You mention Kill recruiting for character and getting developmental types in the same breath mention unmotivated players and drug users hurt Salem's era. One isn't the other, recruit high character, you probably avoid heavy drug users and slouches.

Mcdonald has decommited(essentially) but we've got 2 other top in state players coming, and nobody has committed elsewhere yet, so your claim of losing the recruiting battle is premature.

The you say parents of top commits want to send their kid to a top football school? Like USC, OSU, Auburn, Oregon, UNC? All will be under sanctions soon because their coaches lacked character, which I would hope is what a PARENT would be looking for in a college football program, the kids maybe, but the parents probably look to the coach's character first. Kill's got some of that.

You confuse me.

Based on what he's done at NIU/SIU...

Kill can probably get the Gs to 0.500 (and maybe somewhat better) in a few years recruiting and developing character/potential rather than upper-tier stars.

Once he shows that the program can sustain 0.500+ results, Kill might start attracting some 4-5 level recruits as many here seem to think is the obvious trajectory of the program.

There isn't a coach in the world that is going to land a couple 5 star and a half a dozen 4 star players here in his first year or likely any year no matter how much success he has. That's like a top 15 class. It's an issue of geography more then anything. Iowa and Wisconsin win, but they still don't consistently out recruit Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State. Smaller local recruiting bases are the problem. Win some games and shorten the talent gap (which will always be there). Kill is doing fine in recruiting so far in my opinion. If he thinks these kids have potential to blow up after a senior year of h.s. ball he isn't going to wait around to battle other bcs schools.

Top Bottom