Defend the Coach, please...

...and this team is worse than last years team with the same players.
Those same players have 1 more year of experience yet they have regressed.

The man who runs the program cannot be totally absolved from those things mentioned above.
This team isn't worse than last year's team. They are the same. They will likely beat Iowa at home this weekend to finish 9-9.....just like last year. The difference between last year's record and this year's is the non-conference season. Last year's had more cupcakes and only 2 games away from home compared to 4 this year. And 1 of the 2 roadies was rotten 9-22 Colorado State (even Miami isn't that horrible.)

Have you ever considered that some of the Gopher players, specifically the upperclassmen who are supposed to put the team on their back and lead, may have already maxed out their potential a season ago? The fact that our leading scorer averages only 13 points a game speaks volumes. Hard to win big with no true star players. What player on this team is All-Big Ten material?

If Tubby fails at Minnesota, it will be because he doesn't get the job done recruiting, IMHO.

I couldn't care less if Tubby ever blames himself or not for the team's shortcomings. The results, the wins and losses, will speak for themselves.

I understand your point and it is valid.
But
Tubby doesn't make the shots, block the shots, defend the 3s, etc. when they win

If he is going to get credit for turning this program around and credit
for the good things that happen, then he must also share the blame
when things go bad.

The rest of us don't have jobs that give us credit for the good things and ignore the bad.

It would be one thing if Michigan had won the game by a basket or two and the
Gophers played a competitive game, but they just got handed their rear ends
by 28 points from one of the worst teams in the Big 10 and this team is worse than last years team with the same players.
Those same players have 1 more year of experience yet they have regressed.

The man who runs the program cannot be totally absolved from those things mentioned above.

I respect your opinion,but when we have beaten better teams with the defenses we ran tonight and we practically went through all of our defensive schemes and none of them work their has to be a difference. Tubby didnt forget how to relate what he wants since saturday, imo there was a difference in effort and thats on the players. I have to strongly disagree with you saying the players have regressed. Devoe has shown himself to be a good scorer in more games than last year, he didnt expect to become the starting pg in january, with the exception of colton(who i like more than most) every one has shown improvement from last year at some point this year. Im sure if we had abu shamala, al, and the players we lost last year, we would be better but we replaced them with ghosts, therefore some players are getting more minutes then they should and we lack the depth we were supposed to have. just sayin

nuggett we get it you have an agenda to get Tubby Smith fired. You/none of us that post on this message board have the ability to hire/fire anyone. So you might as well drop it because your complaining won't get you anywhere.

Lol. Don't you guys get it? Or well maybe not I guess as I wasted more time than I should have reading the Kentucky messageboards-

Nugget is Randy3140 from the Kentucky messageboards. I've even seen him comment on the StarTribune blogs.

Not that there's anything wrong with that I suppose as long he's out front with it. But, he's not and you have to admit it takes one sick sumbitch to follow a coach around three years after he left your team.

I respect your opinion,but when we have beaten better teams with the defenses we ran tonight and we practically went through all of our defensive schemes and none of them work their has to be a difference. Tubby didnt forget how to relate what he wants since saturday, imo there was a difference in effort and thats on the players. I have to strongly disagree with you saying the players have regressed. Devoe has shown himself to be a good scorer in more games than last year, he didnt expect to become the starting pg in january, with the exception of colton(who i like more than most) every one has shown improvement from last year at some point this year. Im sure if we had abu shamala, al, and the players we lost last year, we would be better but we replaced them with ghosts, therefore some players are getting more minutes then they should and we lack the depth we were supposed to have. just sayin

There is more to coaching than X's and O's. Motivating players is also a duty of the coach. One could say, its maybe even more important than any defensive or offensive scheme. If you believe that Tubby had his team physically and mentally ready for tonight's game, you're in denial. I'm not calling for his head or anything close to that, but he has to take some blame for tonight's performance.

Don't schedule any Michigan team for awhile!

the gophers are one or two players away.......they already have great role players and a very good foundaton........white and mbwkee will turn the program.......blame matury for this lost season.........

There is more to coaching than X's and O's. Motivating players is also a duty of the coach. One could say, its maybe even more important than any defensive or offensive scheme. If you believe that Tubby had his team physically and mentally ready for tonight's game, you're in denial. I'm not calling for his head or anything close to that, but he has to take some blame for tonight's performance.

I agree and have never heard tubby say "I take no responsibility for this loss" but if you think they're gonna do everything he says, everytime he says and feel the way he wants them to feel then you're in denial.With that said I dont think the TEAM was mentally and physically ready because a few players were'nt ready and in my opinion Tubby cant babysit the few players that dont get it, your acting like every player in a minnesota uniform stunk it up and thats not accurate, a couple of kids that are hard to coach and get on the same page with their teamates can make everyone look bad because the team is supposed to be of a single focus.

Really? We shouldn't have blown that, but losing to the #3 team missing one player isn't bad for a not that talented team.

Losing at home by one to a Hummel-less Purdue team isn't an accomplishment. Not even close.

I wasn't able to watch the game since I don't have the Big Ten Network at my school, but I have to say, losing to Michigan this many times, you have to put some blame on Tubby. I've never said a bad thing about him on here, but seriously, Michigan has 2 players. Is it that hard to come up with a gameplan that makes them beat us with somebody else or at least limits one of them? I realize the players have to execute, but seriously, it can't be THAT hard to force them to beat us with somebody else.

(2) Purdue is a very good team with or without Hummel and has proven it when Hummel has been injured in the past. Seriously, you think Johnson and Moore are only good when Hummel is on the floor?

They were 1-3 without him last year

The reason, as stated earlier, for this sucky year this year, is that we planned to have 3 very important players on the team. That didn't happen which brought a lot of negative attention and very big distractions to the team. I have played on a team with distractions like that and although it's not a great excuse, it definitely ruins team chemistry and changes players focus.

I think what we are looking for is a little bit of blame sharing from Tubby - nothing more. Rick Barnes who has done a great job at Texas over the years said the other day that "this is the worst job I've over done as a couch, I haven't been able to consistently get my message across. " I like to hear a coach do that. Tubby is a great coach over the years but this hasn't been a good Tubby year.

What possible difference does it make if he says he did a poor job for the season or for even one game? It doesn't change the results and he knows he's going to be judged on the results. The standards are different than at Kentucky, but he's going to be judged. If you've been successful for a long time as Tubby has you believe in your methods. But he's also going to be self-examining his approach. That's what coaches do; scrutinize their opponents and their teams and their coaching constantly. If he doesn't want to give his players an out by taking some public blame himself, that's fine. It doesn't change the game anything whether the fans blame him or he blames himself.

Tubby

Tubby is a good recruiter, but not a good bench coach. He has a really hard time with the spur-of-the-minute decisions during the course of the game.

Tubby is a good recruiter, but not a good bench coach. He has a really hard time with the spur-of-the-minute decisions during the course of the game.

Interesting considering most folks seem to feel just the opposite. Having said that, last night had little to do with systems or schemes. Rather, it was a case of a bunch of guys not at all interested in playing the game. If they had at least given some sort of effort, it wouldn't have been as tough to stomach. But the fact that they were apparently more interested in watching Michigan play than in their own game tells you everything you need to know about the absolute garbage that was on display last night.

Interesting considering most folks seem to feel just the opposite. Having said that, last night had little to do with systems or schemes. Rather, it was a case of a bunch of guys not at all interested in playing the game. If they had at least given some sort of effort, it wouldn't have been as tough to stomach. But the fact that they were apparently more interested in watching Michigan play than in their own game tells you everything you need to know about the absolute garbage that was on display last night.

Yep.

Seriously, I was NOT at any practice...It was a sarcastic response to a thread posted early in this thread asking how I knew they were not prepared well. Obvisouly I was not there.

I apologize if you took it serioulsy, it was sarcasm.

My point earlier in the thread was that someone said I could not have an opinion that the team was not well prepared if I was not at practice during the week. Which I do not believe is true. So, I apologize if my sarcastic response was taken seriously, I thought people would see right through it...

I still believe they were poorly prepared for the game, and the results speak for themselves.

I apologize if you took it serioulsy, it was sarcasm.

It's not a problem, however, I don't see how someone could tell it was sarcastic. Some people do go to practices. I wanted to call it BS immediately, but couldn't be sure.

So. Since you weren't at practice and know virtually nothing about how they were prepared, how can you possibly say, without speculating, that they weren't prepared well? Notwithstanding Play Hosea's "there's more to preparation than practice" and his quite original "Thanks for playing" zinger (good one!!!).

Perhaps these 2 days of preparation were the greatest in Tubby's entire career and his team stayed up all night thinking about Indy. I sure as hell don't know. And neither do you. That's my point. They sure seemed prepared well to play the previous 4 games.

I BLAME THE PLAYERS.

I still believe they were poorly prepared for the game, and the results speak for themselves.

Yeah, you know sh-t. In other words your guess is as good as anyone else's. Fail.

How about the most obvious? Michigan, a proud NCAA team from last year that's had more problems than we've had this year put together a game like they've expected to play all season.

Yeah, you know sh-t. In other words your guess is as good as anyone else's. Fail.

How about the most obvious? Michigan, a proud NCAA team from last year that's had more problems than we've had this year put together a game like they've expected to play all season.

Correct. In regards to practice, I know as much as anyone else, nothing, and my guess is as good as anyones. Do you feel they were well prepared?

If they were well prepared, then what does it say about our players?

It's not a problem, however, I don't see how someone could tell it was sarcastic. Some people do go to practices. I wanted to call it BS immediately, but couldn't be sure.

So. Since you weren't at practice and know virtually nothing about how they were prepared, how can you possibly say, without speculating, that they weren't prepared well? Notwithstanding Play Hosea's "there's more to preparation than practice" and his quite original "Thanks for playing" zinger (good one!!!).

Perhaps these 2 days of preparation were the greatest in Tubby's entire career and his team stayed up all night thinking about Indy. I sure as hell don't know. And neither do you. That's my point. They sure seemed prepared well to play the previous 4 games.

I BLAME THE PLAYERS.

You are correct it is impossible to tell tone in an electronic message. So yes, it was speculation, or an observation. Once again, I aplogize if people were misled, not my intent at all.

And I agree with you that if they were decently prepared, then I blame the players as well. Does not speak well for the team though...

You are correct it is impossible to tell tone in an electronic message. So yes, it was speculation, or an observation. Once again, I aplogize if people were misled, not my intent at all.

And I agree with you that if they were decently prepared, then I blame the players as well. Does not speak well for the team though...

There is a whole lot of circumstantial evidence that says to me that the players are responsible for the up-and-down season.

Case-in-point: I've watched a senior (LW) who we desperately need to be a leader if we are going to be any good whine his way through a season and periodically get benched. He said on the radio he doesn't really listen to the coaches and told everyone he can take over a game anytime he feels like it. Seems he wasn't much interested in taking over last night because he sucked balls.

It's garbage like this that makes me think the inconsistency falls on the shoulders of (some of) the players. Sure, the coach could bench those guys - and he has - but everyone knows that isn't the answer, so he has to try to coax them along. Tough job.

Actuallly it was a lie and you got caught.

Yes, there is some pretty solid circumstantial evidence supporting this. There's no need for that, is there? You can argue that the team wasn't prepared, but don't pretend you have inside information when you don't. As stated above, you are guessing - and that's what I said in my first post.

Here's some evidence, where you changed your original response:

-----------------------------------
gopherbadgerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by From the Barn View Post
yes or no

no

Last edited by gopherbadgerman; Today at 12:17 PM.

-----------------------------------

Red-Handed if that is your perspective. I was giving a sarcastic response, once again, I apoogize for that. I need to realize that tone cannot be communicated through message boards. My mistake.

Top Bottom