Dear Jay Sawvel

I I thought they played pretty well against the Badgers this year. Score doesnt reflect the defense considering how many bad spots Mitch put them in and they were on the field the whole second half of that game. Eventually they were going to run out of gas.

Indeed they did: allowed 10 points to Wisconsin over the first three quarters. They spent most of the 4th quarter on the field with short fields.

I want Sawvel retained but only if he can fully and excitedly sign onto the Fleck shtick bandwagon, and if he can explain how he can make sure we are not embarrassed by another "train ride" wreck by his guys.

STFU

He would also give Fleck some nice connections in Louisiana and the rest of the south.

I want Sawvel retained but only if he can fully and excitedly sign onto the Fleck shtick bandwagon, and if he can explain how he can make sure we are not embarrassed by another "train ride" wreck by his guys.

How does sawvel have any impact on how players are handled, I don't think you can blame him for anything. Who was directly responsible for handling the players situation, Mark Coyle and Tracy Claeys.
Sawvel has a better case for keeping his job than Mark Coyle does.

Spending 30 million (combined cost of buyouts, fleck and assistants contracts) and getting the no brainer hire for coach doesn't make him exceptional. He was just exceptionally lucky that the new B1G Network contract have him the money to do this deal. It would NEVER have happened in the past.

Coyle was a douch* because everyone knows he was hoping we got destroyed in the Holiday Bowl. And I think he set the team up for failure to get what he wanted.

If Sawvel does get retained(hope he does as he in an excellent coach and really learned a lot about being a d coordinator through the year) or any others for that matter, does their buyout go away? Meaning do they get the buyout money and then a new contract or do they get a new contract only for whatever the pay that Fleck is allowed to give them?

If it is true that he was, that's just another reason to fire your head coach who ought to be your best recruiter. Fleck isn't going to need much help recruiting...he will probably need help evaluating.
And most of the guys in trouble played for Sawvel...being a coach is way more than just Xs and Os...He won't be back but I am sure he'll land a nice gig. I trust Fleck to make the right decision...curious he mentioned him at the women's game....hmmmm

Head coaches can be closers but are never the "best recruiters". Your best recruiters are the "grunts" out working in the field developing relationships with HS coaches and a ton of 16-18 yo boys and through those contacts is able to enlighten them with how they will benefit by coming to the U. Your comment is off-base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it is true that he was, that's just another reason to fire your head coach who ought to be your best recruiter. Fleck isn't going to need much help recruiting...he will probably need help evaluating.
And most of the guys in trouble played for Sawvel...being a coach is way more than just Xs and Os...He won't be back but I am sure he'll land a nice gig. I trust Fleck to make the right decision...curious he mentioned him at the women's game....hmmmm

Wow.

Be careful in heaping too much praise. Don't overlook the fact that 3 of the original 4 suspended players were part of the vaunted secondary. Glad he brought in all the high character guys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Doesn't likely mean he recruited them (coaches recruits areas) and lack of character can very be different from making a mistake....assuming one was made.

He will be a D-Coord somewhere, no need to take a demotion.

Depends on what the money is, maybe a DB coach under Fleck makes similar money to what he was making as DC.

Depends on what the money is, maybe a DB coach under Fleck makes similar money to what he was making as DC.

Good point.

JS is ready for a head coaching position, with one exception taking a step back would prolong him.

The exception is if he chose to remain on the staff in any capacity that would instantly remove any negative association with what went down this year because the U allowed him to stay. He could then leave next season.

Top Bottom