Dear Jay Sawvel

I have plenty of positive posts. Maybe you missed me calling the defensive coaching and play brilliant after the bowl game. I've had plenty of praise for Claeys as a defensive coordinator. BarnBurner mentioned his badger buddy and that was the one team this defense always struggled with. Frustrating.

Wow. Really stepping out of your comfort zone.

I have plenty of positive posts. Maybe you missed me calling the defensive coaching and play brilliant after the bowl game. I've had plenty of praise for Claeys as a defensive coordinator. BarnBurner mentioned his badger buddy and that was the one team this defense always struggled with. Frustrating.

I I thought they played pretty well against the Badgers this year. Score doesnt reflect the defense considering how many bad spots Mitch put them in and they were on the field the whole second half of that game. Eventually they were going to run out of gas.

Thinking back about the player boycott and the interviews that Jay Sawvell conducted, he has no shot of being hired back after being fired. He was one of the most vocal about supporting the players during the boycott. Kaler and and Coyle will take that as that Sawvell spoke out against them. That means there is zero chance that he is brought in. I don't have a lot of hope for coach Sherels either even though he has stayed on during the transition, he was with the players during the boycott media announcement. Really I doubt more than 1 from the previous staff even has a chance to get a job.

Disagree on Sherels. Horrible PR move to get rid of former MN player who truly will need the UM medical system over the rest of his life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately Sawvel will be out for sure. I'm sure he would like to stay. He had a daughter in 2nd or 3rd grade and we all know noone wants to make a kid change schools. But he is a phenomenal coach and won't have any issues finding solid employment. He is the one guy I was hoping we would keep as soon as the Claeys possibly being out talk started. Fleck will bring in someone real good so hopefully we won't see a big dropoff.

Jay, thanks for the memories.

Good luck from here.

With Sawvel, it all depends on if the real reason Claeys was fired was because of the tweet or if Coyle was planning on firing him the whole time. If it was because the tweet and insubordination then he isn't coming back. If Claeys was going to be canned all along then I think there is a chance he is back. Right now, I'm leaning towards Coyle always planning on ousting Claeys so I think Sawvel may have a chance but not a great one. We'll see. I think keeping him and maybe Sherels with Fleck as HC gives us the program a much better direction than keeping the exact same staff.

With Sawvel, it all depends on if the real reason Claeys was fired was because of the tweet or if Coyle was planning on firing him the whole time. If it was because the tweet and insubordination then he isn't coming back. If Claeys was going to be canned all along then I think there is a chance he is back. Right now, I'm leaning towards Coyle always planning on ousting Claeys so I think Sawvel may have a chance but not a great one. We'll see. I think keeping him and maybe Sherels with Fleck as HC gives us the program a much better direction than keeping the exact same staff.
You hit the nail on the head. Lately I've been beginning to wonder if Coyle was just uncomfortable with having a laid back Football Coach? It would of meant that, MC would have to be the face of the program, if true I could understand going in a different direction, but the way it was done is slimy.

If you have watched the past 5 seasons you surely understand the significant pressure having a poor offense had on overall defensive performance. Having a reasonably good offense would have made the defense that much better.

You simply can't bring yourself to appreciate what claeys and co accomplished.

Can you elaborate at all on this?

No, but something to watch over the next few days. Would be amazing if it happens. I could see Sawvel being a bridge between the new staff and old staff and that him staying could help to mend some of the wounds.

No, but something to watch over the next few days. Would be amazing if it happens. I could see Sawvel being a bridge between the new staff and old staff and that him staying could help to mend some of the wounds.

Sawvell staying would be so awesome. If PJF can make that happen I am 100% on board.

Honestly, the two best defensive coordinators available right now are Jay Sawvel and Tracy Claeys. One of those ain't happening. If you really want to win, it's an easy choice.

Insider on a message board says there's a chance

PJF has a buyout equivalent to his contract. He can bring in whomever he wants, including Sawvel or Sherels. Heck, if he wanted he could bring in Claeys.

Fleck was at the women's basketball game tonight, and I listened to him being interviewed at half-time. Was surprised to hear him specifically praise Sawvel for the fine coaching job he did. Right after that he said he was busy putting his staff together. I don't think he just blurted it out without a reason. I thought, "All right!"

Fleck was at the women's basketball game tonight, and I listened to him being interviewed at half-time. Was surprised to hear him specifically praise Sawvel for the fine coaching job he did. Right after that he said he was busy putting his staff together. I don't think he just blurted it out without a reason. I thought, "All right!"

We can only hope. Top 25 defense with a big big upgrade to the offense.
The best of both worlds.

I would love to see Sawvel retained, both for his competency and the likely effect on team morale.

I want Sawvel retained but only if he can fully and excitedly sign onto the Fleck shtick bandwagon, and if he can explain how he can make sure we are not embarrassed by another "train ride" wreck by his guys.

I would love it if they retained Sawvel, and think it would do wonders to avoid making this a complete rebuild. Fleck does get some leeway as a new coach, but the novelty is going to wear off quickly if he turns a 9 win team into a 4 or 5 win team his first year, so this does have to be considered. Obviously Sawvel is the star of the old staff, sending DBs to the NFL every year, and I don't think you'll see a better coaching performance anywhere than what was displayed vs WSU in the Holiday Bowl.

The one thing that'll be interesting to watch, if he's retained as DC, is how he would be on his own now without Claeys for the first time. Claeys obviously "built" this defense. I do have confidence Sawvel can bring it to the next level though. We already saw some new schemes this year, and his meeting with Aranda last year showed me a lot about his interest in building things.

A guy can dream tho, right? In addition to being a great coach, JS was our best recruiter.

If it is true that he was, that's just another reason to fire your head coach who ought to be your best recruiter. Fleck isn't going to need much help recruiting...he will probably need help evaluating.
And most of the guys in trouble played for Sawvel...being a coach is way more than just Xs and Os...He won't be back but I am sure he'll land a nice gig. I trust Fleck to make the right decision...curious he mentioned him at the women's game....hmmmm

If it is true that he was, that's just another reason to fire your head coach who ought to be your best recruiter. Fleck isn't going to need much help recruiting...he will probably need help evaluating.

Well, he was our best recruiter when Kill was here too. Go back and find a couple signing day interviews with Billy Glasscock on podcast.

I would love for Sawvel to be back... I think it would be wise for Fleck to keep him. Early in the season, I wasn't impressed by Sawvel, but of course I knew it would take him a while to get the hang of being the the defensive play caller. The defense was good and always kept the Gophers in the game, and that gem he called in the bowl game just showed that he is ready as a DC. From what I gathered with Fleck's offensive and defensive rankings from WMU, he could use a good defensive coordinator. Crossing my fingers for Sawvel.

Listened to the Sports Huddle, I would not hold out high hopes of Sawvel being retained. "Listening between the lines", I get the impression Fleck is trying to work Sherels in though.

I would love for Sawvel to be back... I think it would be wise for Fleck to keep him. Early in the season, I wasn't impressed by Sawvel, but of course I knew it would take him a while to get the hang of being the the defensive play caller. The defense was good and always kept the Gophers in the game, and that gem he called in the bowl game just showed that he is ready as a DC. From what I gathered with Fleck's offensive and defensive rankings from WMU, he could use a good defensive coordinator. Crossing my fingers for Sawvel.

I'm hearing some rumblings this may happen. I too would love it. However, a couple on here said there would be no way.

Listened to the Sports Huddle, I would not hold out high hopes of Sawvel being retained. "Listening between the lines", I get the impression Fleck is trying to work Sherels in though.

Fleck slipped a bit during his answering the question about retaining staff, and one point let on that he is aware of who we are concerned about and indicated he would do his best to find a way to include "him" into the mix.... something along that line... but a singular party... I assumed this is Sherels, not Sawvel..

And most of the guys in trouble played for Sawvel...being a coach is way more than just Xs and Os...He won't be back but I am sure he'll land a nice gig. I trust Fleck to make the right decision...curious he mentioned him at the women's game....hmmmm

Don't follow much college football, eh?

Top Bottom