DAWSON GARCIA A GOPHER!!!

Fox and Battle and Garcia will be outlined three likely starters. Why would any of them need to transfer. Payne will be a key reserve as a freshmen and will likely start next year after Garcia goes to the draft. Thompson bleeds Maroon and gold but could transfer as he likely will not see much time but think he uses season r develop. Ihnen will likely be the backup to Battle or Fox but I suspect will get plenty of run.

Damn....one transfer and all of the sudden the Gophers have too much talent. :unsure:
Garcia to the gophers has been known by quite a few for a month or so. They would’ve bounced already if him coming on was the deciding factor.

Fox and Battle and Garcia will be outlined three likely starters. Why would any of them need to transfer. Payne will be a key reserve as a freshmen and will likely start next year after Garcia goes to the draft. Thompson bleeds Maroon and gold but could transfer as he likely will not see much time but think he uses season r develop. Ihnen will likely be the backup to Battle or Fox but I suspect will get plenty of run.
I’m really hoping Thompson takes a big step for next year. I’m hoping for a trustworthy and serviceable reserve. Come in with energy and bank some threes.

Not to derail the thread but isnt the scholly limit 13? With Dawson we have 10 leaving 3 right? I am sure Ramberg is a good kid but if we do have 3 left and he takes one of them I think that is a pretty big failure. He showed nothing that makes me think he should get one, I'm not a big Thompson guy but at least he started in the B10 for a very very good team.
Agreed and yes we have 3 left

This has to make a difference with the guards in the transfer portal the Gophers are looking at.
That was one of my first thoughts. Besides adding a heck of a player, this will be an enticement for the guards we need. A few really good ones that are considering the Gophers. Now they know this is a team that can do big things next year...with their help.

I’m really hoping Thompson takes a big step for next year. I’m hoping for a trustworthy and serviceable reserve. Come in with energy and bank some threes.
Will be a fun battle on who gets the majority of back up minutes in the front court now.

I don't care if it makes me a homer, go get Kerwin Walton. He is supposedly close with Garcia, he was one of the best shooters in the ACC in 2021, he has a lightening quick shot. Then go get Michael Jones (did he sign elsewhere?) and one of the PGs.

We could have some lineups with a ton of shooting on the court.

The elite Minnesota talent thing is really happening. The next Chet Holmgren is already a gopher after this upcoming season when they bring the hometown pride back in full force!

The elite Minnesota talent thing is really happening. The next Chet Holmgren is already a gopher after this upcoming season when they bring the hometown pride back in full force!
Optimistic but I’m not sure there will ever be another Chet anywhere, much less here. He’s as close to a once in a lifetime player as we might ever see. And still couldn’t win it all!

Optimistic but I’m not sure there will ever be another Chet anywhere, much less here. He’s as close to a once in a lifetime player as we might ever see. And still couldn’t win it all!
Maybe no freakish talent like Chet, but the procession of excellent players continues. You sign someone like Freitag, and that's really the game changer. That at least gets us back to when Tubby signed White and Williams and it wasn't an earth-shattering surprise.

I don't care if it makes me a homer, go get Kerwin Walton. He is supposedly close with Garcia, he was one of the best shooters in the ACC in 2021, he has a lightening quick shot. Then go get Michael Jones (did he sign elsewhere?) and one of the PGs.

thats where it gets tricky.....if you get Walton why would Jones come here? and vise versa, if you get Jones why would Walton come here? once you get 1 wing its going to be a very hard sell for BJ on getting another one....
with Battle taking up almost all of 1 wing minutes plus lets say Transfer A getting the majority of the other wing spot. Plus Carrington and Henley....what middle tier transfer is looking at going into that situation?

same goes with the PG position. once you get 1 guy how do you get a solid back up to come here as well?

so i guess what im saying is filling that last scholly with a big ten able player is going to be hard...

I'm going to continue to go back to...this gives us a great starting front court, but the team's success will still hinge on the thing we haven't had in a long time: depth. In other words, I so badly want Thompson to take the next step in the off season and be the true center that we still need. There will be games and situations where you want a true post player, and there will always be injuries, illness, and foul trouble.

I'm going to continue to go back to...this gives us a great starting front court, but the team's success will still hinge on the thing we haven't had in a long time: depth. In other words, I so badly want Thompson to take the next step in the off season and be the true center that we still need. There will be games and situations where you want a true post player, and there will always be injuries, illness, and foul trouble.
Payne will be able to help in that regard a bit. Be fun to see what type of mass TT can add. I don't think depth is required to win, but boy it makes it so much easier. I'm not totally worried about our depth with the assumption we add 3 more guards/wings that can play.

Lot of flexibility at the 3....Fox and Battle both could play the 3.

Imagine if Purdue throws a big lineup at us...we now have so much lineup flexibility.

No problem being a homer and I would be glad to see Walton come here....of course can't do anything until he actually goes into the portal....if he ever does.

Payne will be able to help in that regard a bit. Be fun to see what type of mass TT can add. I don't think depth is required to win, but boy it makes it so much easier. I'm not totally worried about our depth with the assumption we add 3 more guards/wings that can play.
Not to argue, but Thompson is more of a known quality. We know he can play in the Big Ten, and he's building on having gotten his feel wet. I'm sure Payne will be fine, but I'm never of a mind to count on freshmen.

I am worried about Thompson....but who knows maybe he will redshirt this year. He surprised me last year.
He doesn't need to redshirt, he can be a key piece off the bench next season behind Garcia. Not every player is obsessed with starting and Thompson probably realizes his game has a ways to go before he is ready to make an impact at the Big Ten level. Big guys often need some time to develop.

In a single game, depth isn’t critical, but over the course of a season depth is very important to get through injuries and fatigue.
Right now our front court depth is solid. Get a couple of guards and we’ll be solid there as well.

Not to argue, but Thompson is more of a known quality. We know he can play in the Big Ten, and he's building on having gotten his feel wet. I'm sure Payne will be fine, but I'm never of a mind to count on freshmen.
Yeah I don't think Payne comes in and plays 30 mins. I do know I've seen Payne as a Sr. and TT as a Sr. (AAU) and Payne is way more ready physically and defensively. He will be able to play 10 mins a game as a freshman with very little development. He recently has been developing at a rapid rate though and I'd be shocked if he doesn't continue to. TT did some nice things too, hopefully he can continue to get stronger. I honestly think we will be fine in the paint with Ihnen, Fox, Garcia, and Payne. Whatever Thompson adds is just gravy.

Top Bottom