DAWSON GARCIA A GOPHER!!!

Love getting him first as it is a nice incentive for others to join him and for next year’s HS class!

It would be a good thing....almost too many post players now.
We don't need more but I am good with where we are at. In terms of true post players we probably only really have Fox and Payne. Battle, Ihnen, Garcia, and Thompson are more stretch players.

Still don't like that he picked Marquette two years ago, but I'll get over it quickly now that's he officially coming back. Fox, Garcia, and Battle (presumed starting frontcourt) is a scouting report nightmare for other teams. I can't wait to see them play together.

Where this gets really interesting is when you factor in Fox. By all accounts Fox's game seems to be at the rim whereas Garcia and Battle can both go outside. If Garcia and Battle can pull other teams out away from the basket it gives a guy like Fox even more room to work inside.

Have to add some solid guards but with this front court the makings are there for a really solid team if Johnson can find a few more strong additions.
The front court will be interesting. We have a lot of different versatile pieces who (depending upon the opponent) can play a variety of different spots.

A big thing with this signing and Fox's return is that it won't put undue pressure on Payne. I really think he emerges sooner rather than later, but he isn't in a spot where we NEED 30 minutes per game from him.

Still don't like that he picked Marquette two years ago, but I'll get over it quickly now that's he officially coming back. Fox, Garcia, and Battle (presumed starting frontcourt) is a scouting report nightmare for other teams. I can't wait to see them play together.
Let’s hope all three stay out of the gym until September. I’m tired of all these off-season joint injuries. 🥵

Not to derail the thread but isnt the scholly limit 13? With Dawson we have 10 leaving 3 right? I am sure Ramberg is a good kid but if we do have 3 left and he takes one of them I think that is a pretty big failure. He showed nothing that makes me think he should get one, I'm not a big Thompson guy but at least he started in the B10 for a very very good team.
Freed up scholarships (-8): Payton Willis, Eric Curry, Charlie Daniels, EJ Stephens, Luke Loewe, Sean Sutherlin, Danny Ogele, Will Ramberg (the walk-on who was given an open scholarship I believe)

Newly on scholarship (+8): Braeden Carrington, Pharrell Payne, Joshua Ola-Joseph, Jaden Henley, Dawson Garcia, Transfer 2, Transfer 3, Transfer 4

Returning Scholarships (+5): Parker Fox, Isaiah Ihnen, Jamison Battle, Abdoulaye Thiam, Treyton Thompson

Total: 13

Hope that's all correct, I'm going from memory. I don't think anybody transfers because of this but you never know. IMO he is taking the minutes from Treyton Thompson/Isaiah Ihnen, and helping push Battle to guard a "3" instead of a "4". Thiam is the one I thought might transfer since he couldn't get on the court when we desperately needed guards. Guess he sticks around and sees if he can develop into a role next year.

Think we could nab Tyrese Hunter? We have some great bigs.

Didn't he already use his free transfer to come over here from BECKY?
I’m pretty sure he came from a remote island. I say we put him on another FedEx plane and send him back to the island he transferred from.

Freed up scholarships (-8): Payton Willis, Eric Curry, Charlie Daniels, EJ Stephens, Luke Loewe, Sean Sutherlin, Danny Ogele, Will Ramberg (the walk-on who was given an open scholarship I believe)

Newly on scholarship (+8): Braeden Carrington, Pharrell Payne, Joshua Ola-Joseph, Jaden Henley, Dawson Garcia, Transfer 2, Transfer 3, Transfer 4

Returning Scholarships (+5): Parker Fox, Isaiah Ihnen, Jamison Battle, Abdoulaye Thiam, Treyton Thompson

Total: 13

Hope that's all correct, I'm going from memory. I don't think anybody transfers because of this but you never know. IMO he is taking the minutes from Treyton Thompson/Isaiah Ihnen, and helping push Battle to guard a "3" instead of a "4". Thiam is the one I thought might transfer since he couldn't get on the court when we desperately needed guards. Guess he sticks around and sees if he can develop into a role next year.
I don't think Garcia taking minutes from Ihnen. How the staff was talking about him last summer, they see him able to guard multiple positions but playing on the perimeter. They can play those two together a lot. Fox is the one who is more limited than both of them as he just doesn't shoot well. They have a lot of flexibility with how they play offensively with Ihnen, Garcia, Fox as they can each also guard multiple positions. Should be fun to see.

I bet someone transfers out now....When someone like Garcia signs another hits the portal.
Why the hell would anyone leave ?
There is no place for them to go,someone must want you Before you leave

Top Bottom