Dawn Plitzuweit's Introductory Presser on Monday

I'm not well versed in the roster and who is on scholarship. I count 10-11 on scholarship.
Hart
Battle
Braun
Holloway
Heyer
Borowicz
Czinano
Klick 2023
Dalan 2023
Madol 2023
Zie?
Okay, so combining the info in the posts...we have 8 returning girls on scholarship.
We have 3 incoming girls on scholarship. Not all 11 are set in stone but, seems like what we have today.
Plus, 3 walkons: Senden, Ratzlaff, Counts
So, coach P has four open scholarships minimum to add to the roster.
Seems about perfect? Maybe 3 open scholarships and Rose on board would be better?
But coach starts with a good situation.

Her South Dakota teams were in the top 10 in defense in the nation, not just in the summit. And they also had around the fifth fewest turnovers in the nation last year. These girls were very disciplined.
SD’s adjusted defensive efficiency (per Her Hoop Stats) rankings from 2016-17 through 2021-22 were 157, 81, 43, 11, 27, 22. Those last 3 years are really good defensive rankings, but only 1 year essentially top 10.

Is that Sophie Hart in the 2nd to last picture?

Mara Braun, Nia Holloway and Mallory Heyer — three-fourths of former coach Lindsay Whalen's highly touted 2022 recruiting class — had already announced their decision to stay in the program.

You can make it four. Those three, plus Amaya Battle, Aminata Zie, Maggie Czinano and Sophie Hart were all at Monday's news conference.

Cool interviews. I'm glad Nia was asked how her recovery was going.
Mara Braun is really gifted at responding to the rapid fire questions from different people. Very impressive!! Comfortable, cool, relaxed, professional, smart...not even one oh boy, she probably should not have said it quite like that. Team slant to it all etc. Probably a dozen questions from any and all topics. Great job!

If you watch the video of the press conference it is 100% obvious that Coach P had no idea she was going to stay at the podium and answer questions from the media at that time. How as AD do you not communicate that?
At the Lindsay firing press conference he was all over the place with where she was at. For a guy who has done probably over 100 of these....you'd think he'd be able to communicate to the coach how it is set up...
Ask for some feedback in advance...are you okay with that? Do you have a preference how we set this up? Do you want to sit at a table together? Should we do questions right after your presentation or should I introduce President Gabel and segue to questions for you? Or any other transition. Obviously, no conversation like that happened and he put her in a very uncomfortable position..

But to just let her walk all the way off the stage and then not walk up to the microphone with her and own the confusion was really lousy on the part of Coyle.

After watching Coach P's introductory remarks, my first thought was how confident Dawn is. She knows the expectations of the job and she is certain she can succeed.

Contrast this press conference with Lindsey's five years ago. She clearly was not prepared for the job. She did not have a guiding coaching philosophy. She was a great player. Could she coach? Would she know how to discipline strong-willed, talented players? Would she know how to make adjustments to the unexpected during games? Handle the transfer portal (which did not exist when she was first hired)?

Mark Coyle was guilty of a "hope" hire. Look at Dawn's years of assistant coaching BEFORE she became a head coach at a Division II school. Dawn built a successful resume steadily up to a major conference job at West Virginia.

Looking back on this situation, I think our AD did everyone a huge disservice--fans, players, and most importantly Lindsey Whalen. It is not reasonable to expect a novice coach to learn on the job as a head coach in the Big Ten. The job is too complex, stressful and loaded with the unexpected.

Dawn is inspiring. I can't wait for next November.

Mara Braun is really gifted at responding to the rapid fire questions from different people. Very impressive!! Comfortable, cool, relaxed, professional, smart...not even one oh boy, she probably should not have said it quite like that. Team slant to it all etc. Probably a dozen questions from any and all topics. Great job!
She was very impressive. I went away thinking that "Coach Dawn" has the same fire and passion that Whalen showed the players, but they can see the next level in their new Coach. Interesting the comment about film and lifting and how Braun is looking forward to that. I tried to pick apart the comments more, but I think Whalen was missing some of the motherly traits that Dawn will bring to the table and more.

If you watch the video of the press conference it is 100% obvious that Coach P had no idea she was going to stay at the podium and answer questions from the media at that time. How as AD do you not communicate that?
At the Lindsay firing press conference he was all over the place with where she was at. For a guy who has done probably over 100 of these....you'd think he'd be able to communicate to the coach how it is set up...
Ask for some feedback in advance...are you okay with that? Do you have a preference how we set this up? Do you want to sit at a table together? Should we do questions right after your presentation or should I introduce President Gabel and segue to questions for you? Or any other transition. Obviously, no conversation like that happened and he put her in a very uncomfortable position..

But to just let her walk all the way off the stage and then not walk up to the microphone with her and own the confusion was really lousy on the part of Coyle.
It was odd, I was expecting them to move over to a table and sit side by side and answer questions. Might need a bit of a boost in the media/public relations side of things, but I think Coyle is an excellent AD.

Wants to play smart. Limit turnovers. Be tough. Defense first. Wants to play the right way. They’ll hustle and work hard. Players buy in and we’ll be good. Going to recruit hard locally. Dream job.

Didn't watch it. Did I miss anything? Watched a lot of these conferences. Its all the same.

There is a video showing a dozen or so coaches all using the exact same terms in their introductory press conferences but I cant find it.

Those 4 freshman have tons of personality......love the picture of Holloway with her new coach.

I can't imagine how good those 4 can be by the time they're juniors and seniors.

I found the comment about lifting and watching film as being "something new" to be very telling....

I can't stand "Doogie" but he asks questions people want to know. Glad he asked about Rose and Braun's answer was honest. Players have to do what's right for them. Hope she comes back.

Those 4 freshman have tons of personality......love the picture of Holloway with her new coach.

I can't imagine how good those 4 can be by the time they're juniors and seniors.

I found the comment about lifting and watching film as being "something new" to be very telling....

I can't stand "Doogie" but he asks questions people want to know. Glad he asked about Rose and Braun's answer was honest. Players have to do what's right for them. Hope she comes back.
Also liked how she said Coach Dawn will take care of the roster. The relationship the kids have with Coyle is telling as well. This program is in good hands.

Practice today. What is the NCAA rule? Can teams practice until the championship game is over?

Practice today. What is the NCAA rule? Can teams practice until the championship game is over?
I believe they have a set number of Spring practices that are allowed(not sure the number), even during the NCAA tournament. Workouts, lifting, film are all part of the process.

Interview on WCCO Radio this morning. She mentioned she recruited Janel when she was an assistant at Green Bay,
Vaneeta said SKI-U-MAH to the coach and she said she didn't find anyone that knows what that means. Wasn't the origins that this was started by a Cheerleader at the U who saw Sioux Native American's saying or yelling SKI OOOO MAH, after boat racing and winning on the Mississippi. Was supposed to mean "Victory" loosely translated. The cheerleader added U to it and it is supposed to mean Victory U of M. There may be more to this than I am remembering but that is what I have read over the years as to the origins of the cheer, and statement.

Call me optimistic, but I'm pretty sure I heard Holloway say that Coach P had recruited her and that USD was in her top 5.
If she can get a player like Holloway to put USD in her top 5, than she can recruit.

Wants to play smart. Limit turnovers. Be tough. Defense first. Wants to play the right way. They’ll hustle and work hard. Players buy in and we’ll be good. Going to recruit hard locally. Dream job.

Didn't watch it. Did I miss anything? Watched a lot of these conferences. Its all the same.

There is a video showing a dozen or so coaches all using the exact same terms in their introductory press conferences but I cant find it.
Sounds gritty to me. Should I be worried?

She was very impressive. I went away thinking that "Coach Dawn" has the same fire and passion that Whalen showed the players, but they can see the next level in their new Coach. Interesting the comment about film and lifting and how Braun is looking forward to that. I tried to pick apart the comments more, but I think Whalen was missing some of the motherly traits that Dawn will bring to the table and more.
I don’t follow the women closely, but it strikes me that Lindsay may have been a little too motherly and friend like to be a coach. Maybe Lindsay is the cool mom and Dawn is the mom who helps you be your best even if you’re irritated by it sometimes.

Top Bottom