Dawn Plitzuweit's Introductory Presser on Monday

It will be interesting whether Plitzuweit's immediate portal philosophy will be more toward the Brenda Frese end of the scale or approach the Coquese Washington end.

Could you elaborate for the less expert in this group?
Very active at one end of the scale and inactive at the opposite end. Frese lost and rebuilt a Sweet Sixteen team through the portal last Spring while I think Washington stuck with the eight players she inherited.

Anyway, some one is bound to ask Plitzuweit about the portal so maybe we will at least learn about the type of players she will look for in the portal

Very active at one end of the scale and inactive at the opposite end. Frese lost and rebuilt a Sweet Sixteen team through the portal last Spring while I think Washington stuck with the eight players she inherited.

Anyway, some one is bound to ask Plitzuweit about the portal so maybe we will at least learn about the type of players she will look for in the portal
Thanks for the clarification. Hopefully she mimics Frese more than Washington. I watched Maryland move on yesterday.

Well, it should be pointed out that Frese loses players (star players) almost as fast as she acquires players through the portal. She's lost players like Mikesell, Reece, Owansu...but she's always been able to go out and replace them. I'm hoping that Coach P won't lose key players at a high rate and that she'll add a quality player or two to fill needs. In recent years, the Gophers have done just okay in the portal. They've added some players who haven't been able to contribute much and I'd prefer not to 'settle' for those type of players. Now that she's head coach at MN, Coach P will have to prove she can recruit nationally, especially in the portal. I'm thinking she'll be able to do that, but we'll see.

I was trying to listen at work. Did I hear her say she has 8 players right now?? I’m curious who they may be as we have not heard from a few of them. Also, it sounded positive that all but one incoming freshman will honor their commitment.

• Defense 1st and that leads to offense.
  • Big on showing players why they are doing things the way they are.
  • Can't control the timing of 1 year at West Virginia. Wanted to be in B1G and in mid-west
  • Expects to round out with portal wanting 13-15 players on roster.
  • By the end of today she will have talked to recruits.
  • Doesn't promise anything other than they will do the process and if they learn/grow it will show on the court
  • Coaching staff is a process and hasn't finalized.
  • Wants family atmosphere. Had her extended family at press conference, in-laws etc.

A few items

Plitzuweit is determining who will be on her staff. I'm assuming she got money to upgrade the coaches if necessary.

One of the recruits has filled out release papers. She has spoken to all recruits except one and expects to do that this afternoon

She'll be active in the portal because she likes to have a 12-13 player roster

Practice tomorrow

A few items

Plitzuweit is determining who will be on her staff. I'm assuming she got money to upgrade the coaches if necessary.

One of the recruits has filled out release papers. She has spoken to all recruits except one and expects to do that this afternoon

She'll be active in the portal because she likes to have a 12-13 player roster

Practice tomorrow
I wasn't sure if she was talking about recruits or the whole team when she talked about who she has spoken with. Recruits makes sense.

• Defense 1st and that leads to offense.
  • Big on showing players why they are doing things the way they are.
  • Can't control the timing of 1 year at West Virginia. Wanted to be in B1G and in mid-west
  • Expects to round out with portal wanting 13-15 players on roster.
  • By the end of today she will have talked to all players. Talked to one who filled out NCAA paperwork to go into portal. (Assuming that is Rose)
  • Doesn't promise anything other than they will do the process and if they learn/grow it will show on the court
  • Coaching staff is a process and hasn't finalized.
  • Wants family atmosphere. Had he extended family at press conference, in-laws etc.
not sure who asked the question....but he got straight to the point....you had two minority coaches at West Virginia. Will you have that here.

But i would assume Jason Jerschke will follow her here? has been with her since 2017.
Aaron Horn is another assistant that has been with her since 2016.

not sure who asked the question....but he got straight to the point....you had two minority coaches at West Virginia. Will you have that here.

But i would assume Jason Jerschke will follow her here? has been with her since 2017.
She didn't answer the direct question, but said she is only 2 days on the job, so it is yet to be determined.

I thought I heard her say Dom Paurova is the incoming recruit who filled out or requested the paperwork for a release.

Well, it should be pointed out that Frese loses players (star players) almost as fast as she acquires players through the portal. She's lost players like Mikesell, Reece, Owansu...but she's always been able to go out and replace them. I'm hoping that Coach P won't lose key players at a high rate and that she'll add a quality player or two to fill needs. In recent years, the Gophers have done just okay in the portal. They've added some players who haven't been able to contribute much and I'd prefer not to 'settle' for those type of players. Now that she's head coach at MN, Coach P will have to prove she can recruit nationally, especially in the portal. I'm thinking she'll be able to do that, but we'll see.
Her ability to recruit @ a high level is one of my big concerns. I want our goal to be more like MD n less like USD. That is not a knock on USD- they beat us, but more a reality that to compete in the Big we need more speed and athleticism. SDS, USD, Drake n Creighton have well coached , talented teams but they only advance so far and struggle against faster teams. Same thing is happening on the mens side of the Big.

No one asked when Coyle made the initial contact; but Coyle said that during selection week in Indianapolis he was watching Plitzuweit coach WVA against Oklahoma State in the B1G 12 tournament. I'm assuming there was some contact before that.

Her ability to recruit @ a high level is one of my big concerns. I want our goal to be more like MD n less like USD. That is not a knock on USD- they beat us, but more a reality that to compete in the Big we need more speed and athleticism. SDS, USD, Drake n Creighton have well coached , talented teams but they only advance so far and struggle against faster teams. Same thing is happening on the mens side of the Big.
If defense is her #1, then you can bet she won't be recruiting like she's in the Summit Anymore.

She mentioned turnovers a few times. She has obviously been watching or was prepped on that part of the game.

She also seems well versed in the portal having 7 women on West Virginia roster that started at another D1 school. 5 were at other P6 schools and one she brought from South Dakota.

first reaction - She comes off as someone who is fairly poised with the media.

I liked the answer about her style - where she said it depends on what the players can do - suggesting that she is open to playing different offensive styles depending on the team's capabilities.

I also noted that she talked a lot about defense, toughness, rebounding and avoiding turnovers - all of which were issues at times with the Gophers this season.

She's impressive.....I thought she did about as well as could be expected, especially since it appeared that she wasn't expecting to be asked questions.

As far as recruiting, of course she will have to recruit a different type of player than at South Dakota....but the fact she won there and beat top ranked schools in the NCAA tournament (Ola Miss, Baylor) just 2 seasons ago gives me hope. The attraction to playing in the Twin Cities vs. trying to get a player to come to Vermillion, South Dakota is huge.

Top Bottom