Dawn Plitzuweit's Introductory Presser on Monday

So it appears only Rose and Dom are gone. Is that correct?

Farm background. Find a way to get it done. Work ethic will not be an issue with her or her staff and team.

So it appears only Rose and Dom are gone. Is that correct?
Coach P said there was one 2023 commit she hadn't talked to yet, but she planned to talk to her this afternoon. Darn, though, Paurova was one I wanted to keep. Was thinking CP might have said Dylan, who was from Washington and who was connected to MN through Shimmy Gray-Miller.

No one asked when Coyle made the initial contact; but Coyle said that during selection week in Indianapolis he was watching Plitzuweit coach WVA against Oklahoma State in the B1G 12 tournament. I'm assuming there was some contact before that.
From WVU AD Wren Baker: "I was a little surprised, just because it's rare to lose a coach after one year," Baker said at a news conference Monday. "Coach and I had conversations throughout the year just about the progress of the program, and I made sure she knew I was very excited about where I thought the program was headed. Shortly before the conference tournament, I was made aware Minnesota had interest in her.

So, Whalen was fired/resigned on March 2nd. West Virginia played its first game in the B12 Conf tournament on March 10th. And the WVU AD says he was made aware that MN had interest before the conference tournament.

in other words, one week. Coyle said the search committee conducted interviews. I wonder when those interviews took place.

But that tracks with other Coyle coaching searches. whatever the results, he gets them done in a hurry.

So, Whalen was fired/resigned on March 2nd. West Virginia played its first game in the B12 Conf tournament on March 10th. And the WVU AD says he was made aware that MN had interest before the conference tournament.

in other words, one week. Coyle said the search committee conducted interviews. I wonder when those interviews took place.

But that tracks with other Coyle coaching searches. whatever the results, he gets them done in a hurry.
This is all done through agents, so if interviews were conducted they were done through electronic means. Coyle has his list and if a person on his list matches the interest, he will find a way to hire them.

Heyer, Battle, and Holloway were interviewed as a group by some of the media. The portal really doesn't close until May, so anyone could still leave based on how the next month goes. However, Heyer seems to be the vocal leader and fully on board.

not sure who asked the question....but he got straight to the point....you had two minority coaches at West Virginia. Will you have that here.

But i would assume Jason Jerschke will follow her here? has been with her since 2017.
Aaron Horn is another assistant that has been with her since 2016.
I believe the reporter was Charles Hallman?

I'm still saying it started before the AD knew, the coach was in place before Whalen was fired. Coyle finds out if Coach P has interest in being the Gopher coach. She says yes...he fires Whalen. Then he makes the AD aware.

A few items

Plitzuweit is determining who will be on her staff. I'm assuming she got money to upgrade the coaches if necessary.

One of the recruits has filled out release papers. She has spoken to all recruits except one and expects to do that this afternoon

She'll be active in the portal because she likes to have a 12-13 player roster

Practice tomorrow
She did actually mention the numbers 14 & 15 too, regarding roster size. Clearly, she she will be adding from the portal, which she said as much.

Somewhere in this thread it stated we have 8 players? Who are the 8?
What happened to the others? Rose is in the portal, that's one open scholarship.
Stated we have four incoming recruits. Four returnees makes 8. Women's basketball gets 15 scholarships. That's 7 open scholarships, which could be awesome depending on who the 8 are.
Or is it 12 and 3 open scholarships? 8 plus 4.
Either way....who we counting?

Somewhere in this thread it stated we have 8 players? Who are the 8?
What happened to the others? Rose is in the portal, that's one open scholarship.
Stated we have four incoming recruits. Four returnees makes 8. Women's basketball gets 15 scholarships. That's 7 open scholarships, which could be awesome depending on who the 8 are.
Or is it 12 and 3 open scholarships? 8 plus 4.
Either way....who we counting?
I listened and never heard that number mentioned. They have more than 8 players.

I listened and never heard that number mentioned. They have more than 8 players.
I'm not well versed in the roster and who is on scholarship. I count 10-11 on scholarship.
Hart
Battle
Braun
Holloway
Heyer
Borowicz
Czinano
Klick 2023
Dalan 2023
Madol 2023
Zie?

we have 8 scholarship players and 2 walk ons! one of the incoming players is also a walk on! I did not count the incoming scholarship players!

we have 8 scholarship players and 2 walk ons! one of the incoming players is also a walk on! I did not count the incoming scholarship players!
So we have 7 open scholarships? Who are these 8 players on scholarship? Who are the people not on scholarship? Just very curious what she has to work with... Certainly seems the two Wisconsin recruits to WVU can be Gophers if they want to be.

At minimum she has 2 scholarships available with potentially more to open.

scholarships -Battle-Czinano-Braun-Zie-Borowicz--Heyer-Holloway-Hart
walk on-Ratzlaff -Counts
incoming scholarship-Dalan-Klick-Madol
walk on-Senden

If defense is her #1, then you can bet she won't be recruiting like she's in the Summit Anymore.
Her South Dakota teams were in the top 10 in defense in the nation, not just in the summit. And they also had around the fifth fewest turnovers in the nation last year. These girls were very disciplined.

Her South Dakota teams were in the top 10 in defense in the nation, not just in the summit. And they also had around the fifth fewest turnovers in the nation last year. These girls were very disciplined.
They played the Summit Conference as competition. I trust her to do similar in B1G.

There were rumors during the season she may leave. Her situation may have a few angles to it. Or maybe not.

Top Bottom