Dawn Plitzuweit Named New Gopher Head Coach!

Gophers Women Basketball hire

Dawn Plitzuweit as new head coach replacing Lindsay Whalen. Dawn is the current West Virigina head coach.

Coached at South Dakota for 7 seasons and had a 158-36 record. Making the NCAA tourney 4 straight seasons and the sweet 16.

Born and raised in Wisconsin and played at Michigan Tech. She’s a Midwest gal.

She made 550k at WV. So looks like she’s getting a bump here

Feeling a bit underwhelmed. I was pulling for Duffy, I guess I was hoping for a big splash hire, maybe this is it but was hoping for someone with P 5 conference experience. Big Ten is so hard to climb.

I was a Johnston guy but this seems like a good hire. She knows the region and wanted to move back to the Midwest.

Lots of experience

Dawn was my first place choice! I wasn’t sure we could get her one year into her West Virginia tenure. I watched South Dakota’s NCAA run last year and they were amazing. winning AT #2 seed Baylor ending a 12 year Sweet 16 run. Tied under 30 seconds left with Michigan just missing the Elite 8. An excellent coach. Very familiar with the area. I was one of those fans really upset that Whalen wasn’t coming back, but looking forward think this is an outstanding hire. 🥳

Looks like she just wanted to be home. Midwest family through and through.

Her son plays college basketball in South Dakota. Her daughter plays in Michigan. Both her parents still live in Wisconsin.

The Gophers possibly hire a coach who has been to five straight NCAA tournaments (I'm counting her 30-2 2020 COVID year as a tournament team), has a Division 2 National Title, is currently a coach for a P5 program and it's "not a good hire."

I guess Dawn Staley was busy.

You're all funny.

Hard to believe there would be an announcement today after their 1st round loss. Would be kinda mean. I think it is a premature announcement.

I think Lynx was the one who raised this name late in the GH discussions.

Was the original list a smokescreen or did it evolve?

I think Lynx was the one who raised this name late in the GH discussions.

Was the original list a smokescreen or did it evolve?

Philosophy and West Virginia beginning last year.
And, looking at West Virginia stats for this season, she played 10 girls 9 plus minutes per game.
I like that.
All you people not thrilled...could you give a specific reason why you don't like the hire, please.
She is the best Gopher coach in quite awhile on paper.

Last edited:

Top Bottom