Daryl Robinson post script

btowngopher

Reaction score
Temple opens spring football practice today. One of the players who will be trying to make an impression on fourth-year coach Al Golden is Daryl Robinson. Surely you remember the name. Came to North Broad Street as a very high-profile recruit in 2007, and made an impact as a true freshman.
Then, last summer, he left to attend West Hills Community College in Northern California. The North Catholic product committed to Minnesota, but that didn't happen for whatever reasons. So he's back with the Owls, as a walk-on.

"I made a bad decision [leaving]," Robinson said. "I just had to mature, do what I had to do. I'm just trying to do everything right. The coaches don't hold any grudges or anything, so it's cool.

"I just want to play."

When he departed, he cited differences with the staff. Golden has yet to address the issue.

The 5-10, 175-pound Robinson was one of Temple's top offensive weapons as a runner and receiver coming out of the backfield in his one season. Last spring, he was moved to cornerback, which supposedly was his better position coming out of high school. That's where he thinks he's going to be used, although he did say he might play both ways as a wideout.

He will have two seasons of eligibility remaining.

"I was hearing what I wanted to hear, but I didn't really know what was going on," Robinson said. "Since I went out [west], I've seen what's on the other side of everything. I'm just growing up. [The coaches] told me they still care about me. I just want to help them out any way I can.

"The players were happy to see me. There weren't any awkward moments, or anything like that. It feels good to be home. The main focus is on my grades. On the field, I know what's in front of me. There's going to be a lot of competition. I'm ready to get back out there and show them what I can do. I'm not the same person I was a year ago."

Good for him. Glad he found a place to play and I hope everything works out for him. Sometimes we forget these guys are 18 or 19 year-olds and have yet to get it all going in the same direction. Sounds like he's where he should be.

Wasn't he going to go into boxing instead of playing football? Or am I thinking of somebody else?

Wasn't he going to go into boxing instead of playing football? Or am I thinking of somebody else?

Yes - that is the same guy.

This just doesn't make sense to me - the kid's got a full ride at the U of MN, he de-commits, and the word on the street is so he can pursue boxing, he doesn't pursue boxing and instead - goes to Temple to walk on?

Am I missing something, I don't get this?

Yes - that is the same guy.

This just doesn't make sense to me - the kid's got a full ride at the U of MN, he de-commits, and the word on the street is so he can pursue boxing, he doesn't pursue boxing and instead - goes to Temple to walk on?

Am I missing something, I don't get this?

I'm guessing the kid just realized that Temple was the right place for him. He obviously made some bad choices, but like a former poster said, it is tough to be too harsh with a kid trying to figure his life out. My guess would be that Temple doesn't want to just welcome him back with open arms, so maybe they want him to earn his scholly back, which I think is a good idea for both the team and Robinson.

Top Bottom