Darren Wolfson: Tim Brewster's chili is hot -- is yours?

Here's a question to ponder: What if they win five or less games, but he lands Henderson? Still would bet on Henderson going to USC, but with kids, things can change daily...say Brewster gets him -- does that alone warrant an extension?

Here's a question to ponder: What if they win five or less games, but he lands Henderson? Still would bet on Henderson going to USC, but with kids, things can change daily...say Brewster gets him -- does that alone warrant an extension?

There would still be people here who would rip him for not winning more games. I can just see it now - "So we landed the #1 recruit in the nation, big deal! We had a losing season! He should be fired for losing to Iowa/Wisconsin/OSU/Michigan (pick one) again. He needs to keep his mouth shut until he wins more games."

If he goes 5-7 it would bring his overall record to 13-24 and his Big Ten record to 5-19. Wouldn't those who rip him for not winning have cause? I am not saying we should fire him if he goes 5-7 but I could see why people would start to get real unhappy with him. Isn't if fair to demand that he start winning pretty soon?

Gopherholers are so full of irony. They cry moan and whine about not getting enough coverage in the major MN press, and then when an article gets written, if one smidgen of it contains a negative word, they rip the writer ad nauseum.
Now Doogie is writing regular stuff on Gopher football and writing with a very objective style. He is trying to find great balance amongst a polarized fanbase. But people here get so hung up on one little sentence that can be construed as something against the program, Brewster, Maturi, etc.

If you need "rah rah" writing to feel good about yourself, go read the transcript of Brewster's press conference and I'm sure he will be able to more than satisfy.

I think Doogie is doing an effective job at being objective and I applaud him for his coverage of the team this year.

We have seen this act before, but now it seems it is imbeded. A non story, a wishy washy praise, a faint rip of the coach..... we are not taking calls.
This isn't a radio show where you are trolling for listeners.
If you continue with this it will wear thin in the hole very fast.

I would best decribe it as fainthearted flaming, without a point.

Gotta disagree with your take on Doogie's article, Husker70.

In fact, Coach Brewster recently raised this very issue of his contract status with the players. He apparently told them something to the effect that he could well be gone in 5 months if improvement on the field isn't shown over 2008.

It can get a little awkward/messy when adults pressure younger folks on matters related to job security.

Personally, I think Joel Maturi will gather his inner circle around him in December and decide that an extension for Brewster is the best thing to do.

Ideally, Maturi would do to Brewster what Mark Dienhart did to Jim Wacker in the mid '90's, and tie a conditional 2 year contract extension to certain performance measures (i.e. # of wins), but this may not fly.

The point is--Brewster himself is talking the same stuff that's in Doogie's column.

Sorry, MNCH, what makes you think our fanbase is polarized? Don't make the mistake of assuming that people who comment on Star Tribune articles are "fans". I will break down, paragraph by paragraph, Doogie's article for you.
1. Gopher's get a vote, haha.
2. It's year 3, it's an important year because there are now expectations (I've had them his 1st 2 years personally).
3. Brew rubs people the wrong way. Gophs will have to collapse to get Brew fired.
4. Tough schedule, Dunbar let go in a questionable manner, Fisch is good, but probably gone in a year.
5. Brew rippable (total Barreiro word) for his coaching ability, did you hear about the Iowa game last year?
6. Fans love or hate him, and Brew will either be here in '10, or Maturi will do a coaching search (that's not a conclusion, that's listing all possible outcomes).
7. There are a lot of questions about the upcoming season (as if every team doesn't have questions)
Now, if you think that this is an interesting or fresh take, fine. But to me, this is a rambling, pessimistic take, and it really makes no conclusion or prediction. It's just a series of hypotheticals. You can say it's realistic, but really, tell me, what evidence does Doogie possibly have that Fisch is likely gone in a year? From a 45 minute interview? If you prefer a pessimistic article, fine, but then just read Pat Reusse or listen to KFAN. It's not that hard to write a fresh piece, that is NEW information, that doesn't rehash that "some people think Brew talks too much", "some people will think Brew should be fired if they win <6 games". Write a piece that makes a point and comes to a conclusion. How about interviewing one of the assistants for example? /rant

Tubby absolutely fell into Maturi's lap.

The President who told him he could fire Mason, also told him he could pay Tubby what tubby needed, end of story.

Had Maturi been in charge of coaching search on his own, without a motivated candate, we probably would have the Iowa State coach, or worse yet Lickliter.

I did not like the Brewster hire, but he needs to be

given some sort of PR extension, and it is too early to fire him now. Maturi should have made some sort of splash last year and made some kind of "soft" deal to shore up PR and recruiting last fall.

Of course, Maturi was stupid enough to let create massive difficulty and chaos for the program in the months leading up to the 2005 Music City Bowl, with his mishandling of the Mason contract. That whole thing was a clusterF, and JM owns all if not most of the blame. But he made to most fo the non-revenue events, right?

I am sure someone sent him a copy of AD 101, (Mark D? Tom Moe), so he will not be as stupid this time. Either fire him or give him some sort of convoluted contract with a lot of PR value very soon.

If Michigan was such a big rival, why are they off the schedule for 2-years? Iowa and Wisconsin, in my opinion, are the only rivalry games....off to Vikes practice...keep the healthy discussion going...love reading everyone's takes, even the ones that rip me to shreds.

Each school is only allowed 2 protected games. Minnesota's are Wisconsin and Iowa and Michigan's are Ohio State and Michigan State. There really is no solid way of protecting the Minnesota/Michigan game without re-organizing every teams schedule.

Info here, if you are unfamiliar or just want a refresher on protected games:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/bigten/0-1-126/Another-look-at-the-Big-Ten-rivalries.html

given some sort of PR extension, and it is too early to fire him now. Maturi should have made some sort of splash last year and made some kind of "soft" deal to shore up PR and recruiting last fall.

Of course, Maturi was stupid enough to let create massive difficulty and chaos for the program in the months leading up to the 2005 Music City Bowl, with his mishandling of the Mason contract. That whole thing was a clusterF, and JM owns all if not most of the blame. But he made to most fo the non-revenue events, right?

I am sure someone sent him a copy of AD 101, (Mark D? Tom Moe), so he will not be as stupid this time. Either fire him or give him some sort of convoluted contract with a lot of PR value very soon.

I am not sure what you mean by "some sort of convoluted contract with a lot of PR value".

Maturi will be in a tough spot if this season goes south on Brewster. Firing a coach after three years will make it tough to attract a top coach unless they are willing to pay the big bucks. If he goes .500, I expect at least a two year extension.

I mean they should have offered Brewster a contract

I am not sure what you mean by "some sort of convoluted contract with a lot of PR value".

Maturi will be in a tough spot if this season goes south on Brewster. Firing a coach after three years will make it tough to attract a top coach unless they are willing to pay the big bucks. If he goes .500, I expect at least a two year extension.

with all sorts of conditions attached to it, and then keep the conditions very quiet by mutual agreement. Brewster gets to tell everyone he is on solid ground, and the U of M covers its backside if he fails miserably.

Since Brewster has complete confidence in his coaching abilities, I am sure he would have signed it. Everyone would have won.

I believe Syracuse fired a coach for the many of same reasons GM was whacked.

Paul P., who won more than he lost, was replaced by a guy who lasted three years. Greg Robinson installed a wretchedly anemic spread offense as well, after a misguided AD fired the old coach right after the team was in a bowl game. They might have even won the bowl game, but they did not score 38 points against a team like Texas Tech.

I am all for firing coaches that win but are underwhelming, but you better have (then in transition type guys like) Pete Caroll or Lou Holtz, or even proven retreads like Gary Barnett or slick Rich Neuhisel lined up.

Otherwise prepare for the likelyhood of failure, ridicule, and termination for all involved.

Top Bottom