Darius Taylor: THE STANDARD‼️‼️THERE IS NO DROP OFF IN THE ROOM🤷🏽‍♂️ #RTB

Nah. starting with Kill our talent level increased significantly. It’s a little amazing to think of all the kids that played for him and were brought in by him who are now in the NFL. 2019 was more about those players than Fleck. That said, I thought KC and PJ both coached well that year, too. PJ continues to bring in and develop good talent compared to our pre-kill coaches going back several decades. Mason obviously had good O but generally had lead footed D players. Our talent level enables us to be competitive – – more competitive than any other time Since the 60’s. PJ also has great citizens and grade students and there are many positives within his program.

I would argue that if we got rid of the stone age offense, things would be even better. Better for the fans because it would be much more fun to watch. Better for the players because they would probably enjoy a more up-tempo and exciting style. Better overall because I think it would give us a chance to compete against the upper echelon teams. The concept of having 12 play drives against Michigan, Ohio State or Penn State and ramming it down their throat is the definition of insanity. While our players are better, they’re not likely to ever get to that level so creativity and great D and overall out coaching the opposition by our O from time to time is critical.

The O that we ran in the drive before halftime to me would be perfect just run that all the time it was a beautiful thing. We threw it and we ran it and the quarterback had confidence and the receivers ran great patterns. They can do it if PJ would let them.

Minnesota tried the spread with Brewster and Wacker. That went well.

The O-line was steam rolling today n J. Nubin took advantage of his opportunity. Happy for him but also hope Taylor gets healthy soon. Not a winning formula 2 have ur RB with over 40 carries.
We need three at all times. Taylor, Evans, and Nubin, all healthy would be a dream down the stretch.

If there was an active college fantasy football scene, Minnesota’s RB1 would be very sought after and any injury replacements would cause a waiver wire frenzy.

If PJ ever jumped to the NFL I would pick his RB first round.

He’s a fantasy football manager’s RB dream come true in terms of dedication to the run and using a feature back, including the goal line TDs.
But in fantasy football you only need the guy one week. We need him all year which is why you have to have three, at least, really good ones ready to go every Saturday. And when the Oline starts dominating, a fresh back is even better. Rotate them.

I respectfully disagree. It is a winning formula.

Playing FleckBall has worked well enough over the course of Fleck's tenure that the Gophers are now on a competitive level with Iowa and Wisconsin. The Gophers routinely beat the lesser teams (as we saw yesterday). The very occasional hiccup occurs (Northwestern, Bowling Green), but generally the maroon and gold are now firmly established as belonging in the next tier under Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State.

They've won every bowl game they've played under Fleck.

FleckBall works.
And smart offense works better. Hate to see you limit yourself, Murr, when you could be even better. Remember, there is good and there is better.

Nah. starting with Kill our talent level increased significantly. It’s a little amazing to think of all the kids that played for him and were brought in by him who are now in the NFL. 2019 was more about those players than Fleck. That said, I thought KC and PJ both coached well that year, too. PJ continues to bring in and develop good talent compared to our pre-kill coaches going back several decades. Mason obviously had good O but generally had lead footed D players. Our talent level enables us to be competitive – – more competitive than any other time Since the 60’s. PJ also has great citizens and grade students and there are many positives within his program.

I would argue that if we got rid of the stone age offense, things would be even better. Better for the fans because it would be much more fun to watch. Better for the players because they would probably enjoy a more up-tempo and exciting style. Better overall because I think it would give us a chance to compete against the upper echelon teams. The concept of having 12 play drives against Michigan, Ohio State or Penn State and ramming it down their throat is the definition of insanity. While our players are better, they’re not likely to ever get to that level so creativity and great D and overall out coaching the opposition by our O from time to time is critical.

The O that we ran in the drive before halftime to me would be perfect just run that all the time it was a beautiful thing. We threw it and we ran it and the quarterback had confidence and the receivers ran great patterns. They can do it if PJ would let them.
I think you better check the 2019 stat sheet. Sure, Rodney Smith was still around, but Bateman, Autman-Bell, Ibrahim, and Morgan were all Fleck's guys. Tyler Johnson was a holdover, but I have a difficult time believing he would have caught 86 balls in his entire career as opposed to the 86 he caught in 2019 if Claeys and company had remained in place. Can't prove the negative, of course, but the QB situation was subpar when Fleck took over. There were more Kill holdovers on defense, but Howden, St. Juste, Sori-Marin, Dew-Treadway, Mafe, Otomewo, and Williamson were Fleck's recruits and played in all 13 games and there were others (particulaly Nubin and Terrel Smith) who saw considerable action.

We can bark about Fleck's approach (and I do), but just about the only difference between his offense and the Kill/Claeys/Limegrover approach is that the earlier regime had the QB run a lot more out of the RPO. As Panthadad said, we tried the all-out spread before under Wacker and Brewster and the results spoke for themselves. It can be argued, perhaps persuasively, that the lack of success had more to do with the players than the scheme (although I think Adam Weber was a very good B1G QB whose career was wasted). There's no question the Gophers' are going to have to have a better passing offense to move itself up an echelon both in the short and long terms and I've been disappointed that Fleck has been unable to recruit, develop, and maintain a strong group of receivers. That's going to have to change.

And smart offense works better. Hate to see you limit yourself, Murr, when you could be even better. Remember, there is good and there is better.

Yeah, smart offense is often better than dumb offense.

And for some folks, truisms are as smart as it gets.

Fickell's (and Longo's) AirRaid offense totaled the following vs Ohio State:

10 points

1 TD

39 pass attempts for 165 yards (4.23 yds/att.)

25 rush attempts for 94 yards (3.8 yds/att.)

14 first downs

1 turnover

Time of possession: 26:10

------------------------

To be fair, that's not terrible against one of the very best teams in the country.

I mentioned this on another thread — it will be interesting in a few weeks to see the offensive numbers FleckBall puts up vs Ohio State, compared to the Wisconsin AirRaid.
Here's the deal. Fickell/Longneck beer bottle offense was tied 10-10 in the third quarter with a lot of Braelin Allen. He went down so they lost the run for the most part. And what the heck kind of air raid throws 39 times in a game? We threw it 50 times against Nebby and I didn't hear a word about the "air raid".

Here's the deal. Fickell/Longneck beer bottle offense was tied 10-10 in the third quarter with a lot of Braelin Allen. He went down so they lost the run for the most part. And what the heck kind of air raid throws 39 times in a game? We threw it 50 times against Nebby and I didn't hear a word about the "air raid".

What does that have to do with my question?

Which offense will be more productive against the Buckeyes: Fleck/Simon/Harbaugh's or Fickell/Longo's?

Ummmm... describing how beautiful it would be if Fleck changed the offense is pure speculation, nothing more.

The actual record shows that FleckBall has worked pretty well.
Just not well enough or as good as it could be. Change your best.

The O-line was steam rolling today n J. Nubin took advantage of his opportunity. Happy for him but also hope Taylor gets healthy soon. Not a winning formula 2 have ur RB with over 40 carries.
Nope. No statistical proof or historical precedent whatsoever.

Yeah, smart offense is often better than dumb offense.

And for some folks, truisms are as smart as it gets.
And of all the guys who can profit from truisms, you are in the lede at the far turn.

What does that have to do with my question?

Which offense will be more productive against the Buckeyes: Fleck/Simon/Harbaugh's or Fickell/Longo's?
Do you mean the two actual offenses or do you mean your fake and trite titles for said offenses that don't fit?

Fickell threw the ball 39 times while trailing most of the second half. When he had a running back in the first half he used him very effectively. That is Fickell air raid in your mind only.

I could care less how many times we throw the football as long as it is often enough and in the right places to let the defense know they can't cheat on the run.

If you throw a deep route to Jackson early in the game, he might .... catch it, not catch it, or force the defender to grab him for a PI.

You do not have to throw that route "roughly 50% of the time" blah blah blah. A couple of times and you have got someone's attention on the other side and you will not see safeties crowding your running lanes.

Play smart. There is no label for good offensive football.

saw this item today in the Strib from Randy Johnson:

When Darius Taylor and Zach Evans return from injuries, Fleck will have three productive backs from which to choose. And in case he needs more depth, he's moved freshman linebacker Zander Rockow and defensive back Za'Quan Bryan to running back.

this was news to me.

(warning - speculation) - the fact that the coaches moved two players from other positions to RB suggests to me that there are - at the very least - concerns about the status of the injured players.

If they thought Evans and/or Taylor were going to be back soon, I don't think they would have people changing positions.

maybe I'm reading too much into this. But coaches generally have a good reason for doing things. there is a reason why they had two players change positions. and to me, the most obvious reason is that they thought they needed the depth because of the injuries.

this also furthers my belief that Sean Tyler will not see another snap on offense this season. if he appears, it will be on special teams only.

Do you mean the two actual offenses or do you mean your fake and trite titles for said offenses that don't fit?

Fickell threw the ball 39 times while trailing most of the second half. When he had a running back in the first half he used him very effectively. That is Fickell air raid in your mind only.

I could care less how many times we throw the football as long as it is often enough and in the right places to let the defense know they can't cheat on the run.

If you throw a deep route to Jackson early in the game, he might .... catch it, not catch it, or force the defender to grab him for a PI.

You do not have to throw that route "roughly 50% of the time" blah blah blah. A couple of times and you have got someone's attention on the other side and you will not see safeties crowding your running lanes.

Play smart. There is no label for good offensive football.

Whew. And now, after that weird interlude, we return (once again) to the question at hand:

Which offense will be more effective against the Buckeyes: Fleck/Harbaugh/Simon's or Fickell/Longo's?

Whew. And now, after that weird interlude, we return (once again) to the question at hand:

Which offense will be more effective against the Buckeyes: Fleck/Harbaugh/Simon's or Fickell/Longo's?
Cannot answer that when you keep weaseling on the question. First it was Fickell Air Raid against Fleckball and now it is Fleck et al or Fickell Lockneck beer bottle. What is your question?

saw this item today in the Strib from Randy Johnson:

When Darius Taylor and Zach Evans return from injuries, Fleck will have three productive backs from which to choose. And in case he needs more depth, he's moved freshman linebacker Zander Rockow and defensive back Za'Quan Bryan to running back.

this was news to me.

(warning - speculation) - the fact that the coaches moved two players from other positions to RB suggests to me that there are - at the very least - concerns about the status of the injured players.

If they thought Evans and/or Taylor were going to be back soon, I don't think they would have people changing positions.

maybe I'm reading too much into this. But coaches generally have a good reason for doing things. there is a reason why they had two players change positions. and to me, the most obvious reason is that they thought they needed the depth because of the injuries.

this also furthers my belief that Sean Tyler will not see another snap on offense this season. if he appears, it will be on special teams only.
Here's a blurb about Rockow from the Gopher sports website:
Attended Regis High School in Eau Claire, Wis. • wore No. 2 for the Ramblers • in his career, ran for 3,831 yards and 56 touchdowns on 441 carries, caught 38 passes for 710 yards and seven scores.

Looks like an experienced running back.

Ummmm... describing how beautiful it would be if Fleck changed the offense is pure speculation, nothing more.

The actual record shows that FleckBall has worked pretty well.
He’s catching Iowa and Wisconsin while they are on a bit of a downturn compared to the last 20 years and within the Big Ten has no other signature wins. If we want to continue to go to bowl games in New York City our O is OK. If not, it’s a bit of a disaster.

He’s catching Iowa and Wisconsin while they are on a bit of a downturn compared to the last 20 years and within the Big Ten has no other signature wins. If we want to continue to go to bowl games in New York City our O is OK. If not, it’s a bit of a disaster.
PSU in in 2019 was a signature win. I don’t think the style of the offense is a disaster, the execution just isn’t where it needs to be.

If you consider winning 9 games with a bowl win at the end a "disaster", then I think you must have missed some previous Gopher eras.

Iowa is currently 6-2 in "a bit of a downturn".

The very occasional hiccup occurs (Northwestern, Bowling Green), but generally the maroon and gold are now firmly established as belonging in the next tier under Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State.
I generally agree that this is true but would add that if OSU et al are Tier 1, Tier 2 has been left vacant and we're Tier 3.

Fickell's (and Longo's) AirRaid offense totaled the following vs Ohio State:

10 points

1 TD

39 pass attempts for 165 yards (4.23 yds/att.)

25 rush attempts for 94 yards (3.8 yds/att.)

14 first downs

1 turnover

Time of possession: 26:10

------------------------

To be fair, that's not terrible against one of the very best teams in the country.

I mentioned this on another thread — it will be interesting in a few weeks to see the offensive numbers FleckBall puts up vs Ohio State, compared to the Wisconsin AirRaid.

Home game. Away game.

Top Bottom