Darius Taylor: THE STANDARD‼️‼️THERE IS NO DROP OFF IN THE ROOM🤷🏽‍♂️ #RTB

It may not be the most highly touted RB room in the country but I can’t think of another program that gets production from it like we do.

Nubin and the OL should be racking up some accolades this week as they deserve. Part me of also wonders what Taylor/Evans could’ve done with those carries too.

If there was an active college fantasy football scene, Minnesota’s RB1 would be very sought after and any injury replacements would cause a waiver wire frenzy.

If PJ ever jumped to the NFL I would pick his RB first round.

He’s a fantasy football manager’s RB dream come true in terms of dedication to the run and using a feature back, including the goal line TDs.

The O-line was steam rolling today n J. Nubin took advantage of his opportunity. Happy for him but also hope Taylor gets healthy soon. Not a winning formula 2 have ur RB with over 40 carries.

I respectfully disagree. It is a winning formula.

Playing FleckBall has worked well enough over the course of Fleck's tenure that the Gophers are now on a competitive level with Iowa and Wisconsin. The Gophers routinely beat the lesser teams (as we saw yesterday). The very occasional hiccup occurs (Northwestern, Bowling Green), but generally the maroon and gold are now firmly established as belonging in the next tier under Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State.

They've won every bowl game they've played under Fleck.

FleckBall works.

Last edited:

Fickell's (and Longo's) AirRaid offense totaled the following vs Ohio State:

10 points

1 TD

39 pass attempts for 165 yards (4.23 yds/att.)

25 rush attempts for 94 yards (3.8 yds/att.)

14 first downs

1 turnover

Time of possession: 26:10

------------------------

To be fair, that's not terrible against one of the very best teams in the country.

I mentioned this on another thread — it will be interesting in a few weeks to see the offensive numbers FleckBall puts up vs Ohio State, compared to the Wisconsin AirRaid.

Last edited:

Beyond obviously that saying "40 running plays a game is good" and saying "having one RB with all 40 carries is bad" are two completely different things.

Playing FleckBall has worked well enough over the course of Fleck's tenure that the Gophers are now on a competitive level with Iowa and Wisconsin. The Gophers routinely beat the lesser teams (as we saw yesterday). The very occasional hiccup occurs (Northwestern, Bowling Green), but generally the maroon and gold are now firmly established as belonging in the next tier under Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State.

FleckBall works.
While this is true, it would be great if Fleck was willing to rotate the backs more when there are productive options! Let's hope when Taylor, Evans, and Williams are ready to go, Fleck doesn't rely on just one player for 90%+ of the carries!

FleckBall works.
It ain’t sexy, but it works.

In any sport, good team’s have an identity/style of play and this is ours.

Last edited:

FleckBall works.
Well told. The rush-focused offense considers the climate the Gophers play in and the type and level of players UM is able to attract. We haven't had it so good since the Murray Warmath days.

Play action rollouts where Athan can get out and actually see everything seemed to give him some of his biggest plays?

While this is true, it would be great if Fleck was willing to rotate the backs more when there are productive options! Let's hope when Taylor, Evans, and Williams are ready to go, Fleck doesn't rely on just one player for 90%+ of the carries!

I'd like to see a play developed that would have a high percentage of success when needing one yard. I hate to see punts on 4th and one. Possession is the most important asset in football.

It's certainly a good recruiting tool for running backs. Guys like Darius Taylor that have helmet school offers have the option to sit behind other four/five star guys......or come to the Gophers and play early or immediately in Taylor's case behind a road grating line in a system that emphasizes the run.

FleckBall works.
Nah. starting with Kill our talent level increased significantly. It’s a little amazing to think of all the kids that played for him and were brought in by him who are now in the NFL. 2019 was more about those players than Fleck. That said, I thought KC and PJ both coached well that year, too. PJ continues to bring in and develop good talent compared to our pre-kill coaches going back several decades. Mason obviously had good O but generally had lead footed D players. Our talent level enables us to be competitive – – more competitive than any other time Since the 60’s. PJ also has great citizens and grade students and there are many positives within his program.

I would argue that if we got rid of the stone age offense, things would be even better. Better for the fans because it would be much more fun to watch. Better for the players because they would probably enjoy a more up-tempo and exciting style. Better overall because I think it would give us a chance to compete against the upper echelon teams. The concept of having 12 play drives against Michigan, Ohio State or Penn State and ramming it down their throat is the definition of insanity. While our players are better, they’re not likely to ever get to that level so creativity and great D and overall out coaching the opposition by our O from time to time is critical.

The O that we ran in the drive before halftime to me would be perfect just run that all the time it was a beautiful thing. We threw it and we ran it and the quarterback had confidence and the receivers ran great patterns. They can do it if PJ would let them.

Pretty amazing how many running backs the gophers have gone through in the fleck era.
How many backs have been over 100 yards since 2017?

It Is the total opposite of the QB position

Nah. starting with Kill our talent level increased significantly. It’s a little amazing to think of all the kids that played for him and were brought in by him who are now in the NFL. 2019 was more about those players than Fleck. That said, I thought KC and PJ both coached well that year, too. PJ continues to bring in and develop good talent compared to our pre-kill coaches going back several decades. Mason obviously had good O but generally had lead footed D players. Our talent level enables us to be competitive – – more competitive than any other time Since the 60’s. PJ also has great citizens and grade students and there are many positives within his program.

I would argue that if we got rid of the stone age offense, things would be even better. Better for the fans because it would be much more fun to watch. Better for the players because they would probably enjoy a more up-tempo and exciting style. Better overall because I think it would give us a chance to compete against the upper echelon teams. The concept of having 12 play drives against Michigan, Ohio State or Penn State and ramming it down their throat is the definition of insanity. While our players are better, they’re not likely to ever get to that level so creativity and great D and overall out coaching the opposition by our O from time to time is critical.

The O that we ran in the drive before halftime to me would be perfect just run that all the time it was a beautiful thing. We threw it and we ran it and the quarterback had confidence and the receivers ran great patterns. They can do it if PJ would let them.

Ummmm... describing how beautiful it would be if Fleck changed the offense is pure speculation, nothing more.

The actual record shows that FleckBall has worked pretty well.

When PJ was a lad, his parents bought him a horse for his birthday. Here is how the day went.

Free-horse-clip-art-pictures-clipartix.png

Horse when PJ received it in the morning.

tired horse.jpg

Horse when PJ was done riding in the afternoon.

Attachments

• Brown-horse-galloping-clipart-free-clip-art.png
    598.7 KB · Views: 3

Williams is out for the year. His days of suiting up for the Gophers have come to an end.

Pretty amazing how many running backs the gophers have gone through in the fleck era.
How many backs have been over 100 yards since 2017?

It Is the total opposite of the QB position
Give the offensive line and the blocks thrown by receivers and the schemes, coaching and play calling PLUS a LOT of talented, patient running backs a heck of a lot of credit. It is TEAM effort and it is the basis for sustainable Fleck-ball.

Throw in some play action passing and a good defense and a good kicking game. and then Gopher football is very competetive!

Beat the stinking Illini, Gopher!

...Throw in some play action passing and a good defense and a good kicking game. and then Gopher football is very competetive! ...

lOL. Reminds me of that scene in Ghost Busters. Got a great deal on the ambulance except the long list of repairs needed.

Top Bottom