Darius Taylor: THE STANDARD‼️‼️THERE IS NO DROP OFF IN THE ROOM🤷🏽‍♂️ #RTB

Beyond obviously that saying "40 running plays a game is good" and saying "having one RB with all 40 carries is bad" are two completely different things.
So many ways to critique the philosophy on this. Why are we on the 5th RB and why does this happen nearly every year? Why not play Nubin sooner if other were not 100%? Does every RB we have only get better as the game goes on and need to be in a rhythm?

We had 200 yds. rushing and passing and no one is questioning the mix of plays, but one back getting 40 touches is a lot, especially when yards after contact was so high.

Top in each game this year.
MSU. Nubin 80% of 50 carries
Iowa. Taylor 35% of 45 carries
MI. Evans 31 % of 39 carries (Blow out 4 backs played)
Louisiana: Evans and Williams each 15 carries, Tyler 10, Athan 10
NW: Taylor 74% of carries
UNC: Taylor 71% of carries
EMich: Taylor 60% of carries
NE: Tyler 10 of the 25 carries

Don't get me wrong, I love when our OL and RB's are taking the will out of the other team in the 2nd half.

Speaking of a great O line and our "Ground and pound" philosophy, how is our O line looking for next year? We've been able to recruit and maintain a darn good line over the past few years. I hope it continues.

Speaking of a great O line and our "Ground and pound" philosophy, how is our O line looking for next year? We've been able to recruit and maintain a darn good line over the past few years. I hope it continues.
We only lose Boe and Shaw so the future is very promising!!! That is if everyone else returns. Reports are that they young guys are talented.

Plus we have two highly rated OL recruits in Roy and Carroll.

Boe and Shaw are done. Everyone else should be back (or at least they've all got eligibility left).

Having someone ready to jump in at Center will be the question, but I wonder if they already are pinpointing Johnson to be Center if they are getting him on the field this year. That could be a transfer portal get if needed.

If you consider winning 9 games with a bowl win at the end a "disaster", then I think you must have missed some previous Gopher eras.

Iowa is currently 6-2 in "a bit of a downturn".
I personally would like to see us ranked more consistently. Those occasional hiccups (and by occasional I mean yearly) hurt our program a lot on the national scale. Instead of being seen as a consistently competitive program, we're seen as a program that can never take the next step to being consistently competitive.

There is no stopping dropping in the red zone running back room!

While I don't think PJ is overworking RBs, this really goes to show that he SHOULD be rotating them through more consistently.

Obviously do your due diligence to players with NFL aspirations who are closer to the end of their college career. Make sure they get enough chance to show the NFL their worth and generate draft excitement. However, rotating your backs more often will get the younger guys more experience, AND make our running game more dynamic (or at least, in theory) since they all run differently. If the opponent DL needs to be prepped for 4 or 5 different style backs, it's going to make it easier for all of our RBs to gain yards, since the DL can't sell out on how a specifc RB runs.

So many ways to critique the philosophy on this. Why are we on the 5th RB and why does this happen nearly every year? Why not play Nubin sooner if other were not 100%? Does every RB we have only get better as the game goes on and need to be in a rhythm?

We had 200 yds. rushing and passing and no one is questioning the mix of plays, but one back getting 40 touches is a lot, especially when yards after contact was so high.

Top in each game this year.
MSU. Nubin 80% of 50 carries
Iowa. Taylor 35% of 45 carries
MI. Evans 31 % of 39 carries (Blow out 4 backs played)
Louisiana: Evans and Williams each 15 carries, Tyler 10, Athan 10
NW: Taylor 74% of carries
UNC: Taylor 71% of carries
EMich: Taylor 60% of carries
NE: Tyler 10 of the 25 carries

Don't get me wrong, I love when our OL and RB's are taking the will out of the other team in the 2nd half.
Was it just me, or did it seem like the OL and Nubin kept getting better as the game wore on. Some backs need a few carries just to get into a rhythm. Nubin looked like he was trying to be Bettis 2.0.

Top Bottom