Daquein McNeil

McNeil was Coach P.'s first recruit and at the time, many of us thought his role would be to back up Dre at the point. When Mathieu was signed shortly thereafter we really didn't know what his role would be. Offensively, McNeil is very Joe Colemanesque and it will be interesting to see how well the staff develops his outside shooting over time. Other than being a below average shooter, he does everything pretty well. IMO the scouting report above, is very accurate.

I recently saw that he is averaging almost 10 minutes per game on the season, with almost all being B1G minutes. In comparison, EE averaged 15 minutes his freshman year, so it should end up fairly close by season's end. EE was able to parlay those minutes into becoming the 6th man the following season. I feel McNeil is the most obvious choice to fill the black hole at the 3.
I don't see the Coleman comparison. Coleman was basically a PF because he couldn't handle the ball. The only comparison is that neither are good shooters, but at least McNeil's shot looks decent unlike that ugly thing Coleman called a shot.

I don't see the Coleman comparison. Coleman was basically a PF because he couldn't handle the ball. The only comparison is that neither are good shooters, but at least McNeil's shot looks decent unlike that ugly thing Coleman called a shot.

That was the comparison I tried to make. Also, McNeil is very strong to the hole, just like Joe.

Wasn't trying to insult you Madtown, I don't care enough about this discussion to do so. I was just poking fun.

People are underrating Dre's athleticism because he has been hobbled the last month or so.

Meh, I've always had more or less the same opinion that he is an average athlete (and I guess there probably isn't a whole lot to suggest that McNeil is significantly more athletic) and an above average scorer/shooter. If I am underrating his athleticism, it is not because he is hurt this year, it is because I am using the bar set by other big 10 point guards that match his production (from last year when he was healthy): Trey Burke, Yogi Ferrell, Keith Appling, Frazier.

Back to McNeil, I agree completely that he has a slow first step on defense. I think if he can improve on that aspect of his game, he will be a lock down guy because of his frame.

McNeil appears to be a legit 6'3" and I would say 190 solid lbs already. He appears to have ok athelticsm with good length. If he starts at the 3 we will be seriously undersized at all 3 "perimeter postions again next year? But it still could happen.

Top Bottom