Danny Hope officially fired at Purdue

Reaction score
His fate was sealed with that debacle at TCF last month. Official announcement later today.

Top replacements seem to be Dorean at NIU, Hazell at Kent St, and Butch Jones at Cincy. Long shot is Sonny Dykes at La Tech.

His fate was sealed with that debacle at TCF last month. Official announcement later today.

Top replacements seem to be Dorean at NIU, Hazell at Kent St, and Butch Jones at Cincy. Long shot is Sonny Dykes at La Tech.

which one of these candidates has a mustache?

This isn't surprising, but you gotta respect the guy for getting his team ready to play and go on a 3 game win-streak to get bowl eligible.

NC State's O'Brien was also fired today. IMO he is a good coach that was coaching a team with a glass ceiling. He was the guy I had hoped the Gophers would hire back in December 2010 to get us back to medicre or better as a stepping stone to a really good coach. He's old, though (64), and I think he's just going to retire.

THey had to do it in November, as their will be more potential candidates due to "Movember".

Poor decision to fire Hope.

I disagree. It was time for a change. AD Morgan Burke began his coaching search and has been "raising money" behind closed doors for weeks now. The night before the Minnesota/Purdue game at TCF, I attended a small gathering of Purdue Alumni in the Twin Cities where Burke spoke for nearly 45 minutes. You could tell something was up and the getting blown out by a bad Gopher team (sorry Gopher fans) was the nail in the coffin. Hope was in over his head. He had the pieces in place to make a run this year and failed miserably. Beating lowly teams like Iowa, Illinois, and Indiana to secure another meaningless bowl is not progress given the talent on the roster. Attendence is awful and they need to do something to energize the already limited fanbase. With Notre Dame #1 in football and IU #1 in basketball - this is an important hire for the face of the university. Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels is now the University President and I've been told he is going to make football a priority (Gopher fans have heard that before, right?). Matt Painter held the school hostage a few years ago while flirting with Mizzou - so maybe they will step up and make the same committment for football. However, being a competitive at the national level in MBB and FB is not an apples to apples comparison at Purdue. I was not a fan of Danny Hoe from the get go - but was willing to give him a chance once he got the job. He was almost fired last year but their top targets (Kevin Sumlin and Paul Chryst) were snatched up so Purdue decided to let it ride with Hope one more year.

I disagree. It was time for a change. AD Morgan Burke began his coaching search and has been "raising money" behind closed doors for weeks now. The night before the Minnesota/Purdue game at TCF, I attended a small gathering of Purdue Alumni in the Twin Cities where Burke spoke for nearly 45 minutes. You could tell something was up and the getting blown out by a bad Gopher team (sorry Gopher fans) was the nail in the coffin. Hope was in over his head. He had the pieces in place to make a run this year and failed miserably. Beating lowly teams like Iowa, Illinois, and Indiana to secure another meaningless bowl is not progress given the talent on the roster. Attendence is awful and they need to do something to energize the already limited fanbase. With Notre Dame #1 in football and IU #1 in basketball - this is an important hire for the face of the university. Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels is now the University President and I've been told he is going to make football a priority (Gopher fans have heard that before, right?). Matt Painter held the school hostage a few years ago while flirting with Mizzou - so maybe they will step up and make the same committment for football. However, being a competitive at the national level in MBB and FB is not an apples to apples comparison at Purdue. I was not a fan of Danny Hoe from the get go - but was willing to give him a chance once he got the job. He was almost fired last year but their top targets (Kevin Sumlin and Paul Chryst) were snatched up so Purdue decided to let it ride with Hope one more year.

Forgot about Daniels, Purdue is lucky to have him in the fold. He would be great POTUS.

...AD Morgan Burke began his coaching search and has been "raising money" behind closed doors for weeks now. The night before the Minnesota/Purdue game at TCF, I attended a small gathering of Purdue Alumni in the Twin Cities where Burke spoke for nearly 45 minutes...

Are there any other kinds of gatherings involving Purdue alums?:clap:

Firing Your Way to Excellence

If true, Purdue is taking a page from the Joel Maturi / Robert Bruininks playbook, "Firing Your Way to Excellence" with a special forward by Donald Trump and back cover endorsements by Ziggy and Mark Wilf. You will remember it was a best seller on the New York Times list. A bargain at $39.95. Give it to your friends for Christmas to show them you really care.

Attendence is awful and they need to do something to energize the already limited fanbase.

Firings like this are becoming too much the norm. Stats show that attendance is down almost everywhere. Penn State has had declining attendance since 2007.

Quite an ending for the "dark horse Rose Bowl contender". (IALTO)

Too bad - he worked very hard in a tough environment and got to a bowl. Like politics, it's all a TV show now, and the fatcats have the advantage with their 80,000+seat stadiums and expensives facilities. To make money, you have to spend money and obviously the bottom feeders will never match revenues with Penn State, Nebraska, Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, etc. It used to be all about coaching, but now it's money.

Colorado fires Jon Embree after two seasons

Jon Embree is out at as Colorado football coach after just two seasons, multiple news outlets reported Sunday evening.

The Buffs were 4-21 in Embree's two seasons and this past season went 1-11, the worst year in Colorado football history.

After the season finale, a 42-35 loss to Utah on Friday, Embree said he had been assured by athletic director Mike Bohn that he would be retained. He signed a four-year contract after taking over for Dan Hawkins two years ago. Hawkins went 19-39.

http://www.denverpost.com/cu/ci_22064455/jon-embree-out-colorado-buffaloes-football-coach

Go Gophers!!

Ya, the next thing we know is that John Gagliardi will be fired by St. John's. :banghead: The carousel has just begun.

Many media outlets had them as a darkhorse. I know they got blown out, but had they beat Wisconsin at home, they would be playing Nebraska next weekend.

This is absolutely mind blowing.

The B1G was horrendous this year. The sooner we can turn the page to 2013 the better.

I'm glad we're not firing our coach. I've got way too much stuff to do to keep up with that yearly circus.

You can't fire a coach after winning 3 games to salvage a season and make a Bowl. The proper etiquette is to hope he loses his Bowl Game in spectacular fashion and do it then.

Speculation that Pinkel at MISSOURI might resign. He seems like a guy that might want to coach at Purdue or Illinois rather than in the SEC. Reports are just speculation.

You can't fire a coach after winning 3 games to salvage a season and make a Bowl. The proper etiquette is to hope he loses his Bowl Game in spectacular fashion and do it then.

Robert Bruninks and Joel Maturi agrees.

Speculation that Pinkel at MISSOURI might resign. He seems like a guy that might want to coach at Purdue or Illinois rather than in the SEC. Reports are just speculation.

He wasn't thrilled about moving to either the B1G or SEC so stepping down wouldn't be a huge surprise. He's also been at Missouri for 12 seasons, his 60 years old and his team looks over matched in the SEC.

Resigning to go to Purdue would seem like a good long-term career move. Missouri seems destined for SEC botom-feeder status.

Top Bottom