Damian Johnson to Benilde-St. Margaret

It’s really embarrassing callin him a sell out for an opportunity to be closer to home. It’s not like he wasn’t doing a lot for the kids while he was there. All the parents at NSP talk about how much time he invested with the kids. He used to provide rides for kids who had attendance issues. He lives in near MPLS. Commuting back and forth while being a dad to 3 or 4 kids I think and apparently one more on the way, has to be tough
Never called him a sell out for being closer to home.
Do you think Henry, South or Washburn could use him? What about Brooklyn Center or Park?
I fully admit I have a strong distaste for private schools when it comes to athletics. Buying athletes in high school bothers me. I would prefer that coaches say no to those private schools.

Do you think Henry, South or Washburn could use him? What about Brooklyn Center or Park?
I fully admit I have a strong distaste for private schools when it comes to athletics. Buying athletes in high school bothers me. I would prefer that coaches say no to those private schools.

To play devil’s advocate those jobs aren’t open. Park Center has a great coach in James Ware! I’m definitely not a fan a private schools and would bet if you asked him he was torn but probably his best opportunity to be closer to home. Also, BSM doesn’t guarantee success. They’ve been down for a while. Larry Mackenzie had a rough go at Holy Angels.

Good for DJ to build on his coaching experience, it looks like he wants to move up and you only do that by moving around and hope for that college break.

Also guys, he didn't coach at North, he coached at NSP. North is the name for North Minneapolis not for the suburb that is north of the suburb of Maplewood. Maybe a few locals in that area may call it North, but most everyone else in the Twin Cities would not think of North Saint Paul when you say North.

I understand what you are saying, but he can "recruit" better players at a BSM and improve his coaching resume. Sorry, but the hard working life/basketball coaches at the small high schools do not get many offers to move up the coaching ranks.

To play devil’s advocate those jobs aren’t open. Park Center has a great coach in James Ware! I’m definitely not a fan a private schools and would bet if you asked him he was torn but probably his best opportunity to be closer to home. Also, BSM doesn’t guarantee success. They’ve been down for a while. Larry Mackenzie had a rough go at Holy Angels.

Chanhassen is the only other option so far I've seen open on that side of the metro.

Good for DJ to build on his coaching experience, it looks like he wants to move up and you only do that by moving around and hope for that college break.

Also guys, he didn't coach at North, he coached at NSP. North is the name for North Minneapolis not for the suburb that is north of the suburb of Maplewood. Maybe a few locals in that area may call it North, but most everyone else in the Twin Cities would not think of North Saint Paul when you say North.
North St. Paul also goes by the name North High.

I think DJ is on the radar of Pitino in the future and will be on others if Pitino moves or is told to move on. His profile and coaching profile will increase being at BSM too. I'm was skeptical at first, but the more I've seen of him coaching and listened to him on various podcasts talk about the game, I'm sold on him being a quality candidate as an assistant if it's what he wants to do.
I heard the pod he did with Kendal Shell 2-3 weeks ago and it was the best breakdown of a gopher roster and local HS recruiting scene that I had come across in years. As hard as it is to be a good player, I think it's even harder to be a good coach/teacher/analyst. He appears to have those skills.

In multiple sports their uniforms literally say "north"

In multiple sports their uniforms literally say "north"
So does North Lakeville and many other schools that have North in their name. That doesn’t mean that anybody but diehard fans know them by the name “North”.

So does North Lakeville and many other schools that have North in their name. That doesn’t mean that anybody but diehard fans know them by the name “North”.
The vast majority of high school basketball will tell you the identity on North goes to Minneapolis. Doubt we have two dozen people that post that have ever been to St. Paul's version.

I know some faculty members, been to a basketball clinic there years ago, coached as the visiting coach in softball at the school and know it's called North. I even looked it up in the MSHSL directory....it's North.
Plus, they are the Polars too!
BUT, sorry. North is Minneapolis.
North St Paul just ain't North, no mater how bad they wanna be. lol

When talking about minneapolis north I dont have to say "Minneapolis north" I can just say "north" and everyone in my area or associates get it. When I say north st paul I always have to say st paul after or everyone thinks I am talking about minneapolis north. Just my experience.

I get what you’re saying but you’re flat wrong.

He coached at “North High School”
It’s literally the name of the school

There is a school in North Minneapolis called “Minneapolis North High School”

I have no association with either school and am from the south metro.
If you said someone goes to North, I would assume they’d go to North St Paul unless they said Minneapolis North or Lakeville North or North Branch.

North St. Paul also goes by the name North High.
North, North High. Too confusing. To clear up the confusion as to which school you're talking about, just call them each by their mascot, like we call ourselves the "Gophers".

I get what you’re saying but you’re flat wrong.

He coached at “North High School”
It’s literally the name of the school

There is a school in North Minneapolis called “Minneapolis North High School”

I have no association with either school and am from the south metro.
If you said someone goes to North, I would assume they’d go to North St Paul unless they said Minneapolis North or Lakeville North or North Branch.
They can try and call themselves what ever they want, but nobody outside of a few mile from the suburb of North Saint Paul would even think they are talking about NSP by using North. Sorry, but NSP hasn’t made enough of a name for themselves to have everyone recognize them as North.

They can try and call themselves what ever they want, but nobody outside of a few mile from the suburb of North Saint Paul would even think they are talking about NSP by using North. Sorry, but NSP hasn’t made enough of a name for themselves to have everyone recognize them as North.
Except for the fact that I live closer to Minneapolis north and I know they’re saying north St. Paul if they say “North high”

because it’s the name of the school

Google maps agrees with me

In basketball circles if I say I am calling from Minnesota and I really like the kid from North they will know I am talking about North Minneapolis. Scouts and coaches have paid attention to that program for decades. They actually have made a name for themselves in basketball. North St. Paul is a complete unknown.

I think DJ is on the radar of Pitino in the future and will be on others if Pitino moves or is told to move on. His profile and coaching profile will increase being at BSM too. I'm was skeptical at first, but the more I've seen of him coaching and listened to him on various podcasts talk about the game, I'm sold on him being a quality candidate as an assistant if it's what he wants to do.
I tweeted a “congrats” to him and mentioned I’d love to see him on the Williams Arena bench some day. He replied “That’s the goal!”

In basketball circles if I say I am calling from Minnesota and I really like the kid from North they will know I am talking about North Minneapolis. Scouts and coaches have paid attention to that program for decades. They actually have made a name for themselves in basketball. North St. Paul is a complete unknown.
Exactly.

I tweeted a “congrats” to him and mentioned I’d love to see him on the Williams Arena bench some day. He replied “That’s the goal!”
That would be awesome. If he can develop his coaching skills and learn the recruiting and other ins and outs of D-1 head coaching, he could do incredible things for this program IMO. He really seems like a guy who has "it".

That would be awesome. If he can develop his coaching skills and learn the recruiting and other ins and outs of D-1 head coaching, he could do incredible things for this program IMO. He really seems like a guy who has "it".
He has a chance. I hope people understand how long that road is, how ultra competitive it is to hire assistants. Look at how long it it our recent hire to get here, how varied that resume needs to be. It is a bad idea to think on the local recruiting front is how he gets here fast.That talent level fluctuates all over the place and you still need a head coach that closes.There are hundreds of really good assistants. Will he be willing to take a job as the 3rd or 4th assistant at Drake and those types of places. Seems like a likeable person but now he will need to win big and develop players. He is not on a fast track as he is 33 now. Win big for 3-4 years, get a lower level job and knock it out of the park for 4-5 more and you will get a chance.

He has a chance. I hope people understand how long that road is, how ultra competitive it is to hire assistants. Look at how long it it our recent hire to get here, how varied that resume needs to be. It is a bad idea to think on the local recruiting front is how he gets here fast.That talent level fluctuates all over the place and you still need a head coach that closes.There are hundreds of really good assistants. Will he be willing to take a job as the 3rd or 4th assistant at Drake and those types of places. Seems like a likeable person but now he will need to win big and develop players. He is not on a fast track as he is 33 now. Win big for 3-4 years, get a lower level job and knock it out of the park for 4-5 more and you will get a chance.

100% on the road part in most cases. Mailhot is an interesting case cause he wasn't ever even a HS HC where at least Damian has been. Another thing he does have that allows for some to "skip" steps is that he's an alumni and has coached various levels of AAU as well, but in most cases that is rare. I've listened to him on a couple of podcasts and he's very well versed when talking defense and offense which was the stuff I was looking for. I myself most times would prefer to hire guys who've grinded their way up the chain like you mentioned.

Not an attempt to derail the thread, but do you believe a hire like Jason Terry who played many years of pro ball, but doesn't have any coaching experience is any better than a guy who's become well connected in the TC metro area and has actually coached?

100% on the road part in most cases. Mailhot is an interesting case cause he wasn't ever even a HS HC where at least Damian has been. Another thing he does have that allows for some to "skip" steps is that he's an alumni and has coached various levels of AAU as well, but in most cases that is rare. I've listened to him on a couple of podcasts and he's very well versed when talking defense and offense which was the stuff I was looking for. I myself most times would prefer to hire guys who've grinded their way up the chain like you mentioned.

Not an attempt to derail the thread, but do you believe a hire like Jason Terry who played many years of pro ball, but doesn't have any coaching experience is any better than a guy who's become well connected in the TC metro area and has actually coached?

No idea if Terry is better but he is way higher profile and kids can relate to the career he made for himself. Plus someone thought so, he got hired. You do not have to grind it out, if your special they find you . He could have been hired right now if Pitino thought he was especially gifted. Lets see what he has. He has a great platform right now.

Right, and that is why a move to BSM is good as far as a high school coach. Since it is a private school, he has a chance to bring in players like the other nearby private schools have done. that will bring wins and a reputation. Unfortunately, like you say, it is a long road and he has to make the jump to college soon in order to get on that career path. Very, very few coaches make a jump from high school to the B1G.

No idea if Terry is better but he is way higher profile and kids can relate to the career he made for himself. Plus someone thought so, he got hired. You do not have to grind it out, if your special they find you . He could have been hired right now if Pitino thought he was especially gifted. Lets see what he has. He has a great platform right now.

He certainly chose the safer pick in Mailhot. Agreed this platform will for sure let him elevate himself if you chooses to do so. I'm saying if looking at backgrounds I like the guy who has some coaching experience over the guy who's played just in the NBA. Of course all bets are off once I talk/interview them. I'm not saying I would've hired DJ either yet at this juncture, but he's elevating and winning me over more and more as a guy who could get there at some point. Truthfully I was hoping we'd look at a Sundance Wicks who got hired at Wyoming.

Right, and that is why a move to BSM is good as far as a high school coach. Since it is a private school, he has a chance to bring in players like the other nearby private schools have done. that will bring wins and a reputation. Unfortunately, like you say, it is a long road and he has to make the jump to college soon in order to get on that career path. Very, very few coaches make a jump from high school to the B1G.
Agree. BSM is positioned very well to win. Then it becomes a matter of will he take a job that opens way before the timing ever works at the U in any position.

Agree. BSM is positioned very well to win. Then it becomes a matter of will he take a job that opens way before the timing ever works at the U in any position.
Well BSM was 5-21 last year. I dont know if they are necessarily positioned very well to win. If he turns that program around I can see him bypassing the process and becoming an assistant with a new staff for sure

Top Bottom